• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well, what is it?

• Soulsbornering

Votes: 183 22.2%
  • Elden Soulsborne

Votes: 79 9.6%
  • Sekidenborne Souls

Votes: 121 14.7%
  • Blooden Souls

Votes: 24 2.9%
  • Elkiro Soulsborne

Votes: 97 11.8%
  • Bloodsouls Ring

Votes: 21 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 298 36.2%

• Total voters

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Souls-like is what I've used for a while as well, but I think it'd be nice if we came up with a broader genre title for these. I like the sound of "third-person action RPG" (shortened to just "ARPG"), but that can also encompass a lot of other things, and from what I remember there's already a subgenre of a different type that calls itself "action RPG".
DIablo-clones have had the ARPG title for a while, hence the recent confusion.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Souls-like has been sufficient since the first clones started hitting the market, and that's including Bloodborne itself.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
What the poster you quoted said makes perfect sense and based on the responses itt most users agree.
I'm telling you the history of the word, and how that poster misunderstands the intent of the word. I don't disagree that just shortening it to souls is just more practical and makes more sense now. The word was never intended to make bloodborne seem separate.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Just call them "From games" and you are set.

Problem with that is a lot of people (myself included) like the souls-type games (which honestly souls-type is probably the most effective at getting the idea across), but don't really like their other games. I'm excited for Elden Ring not because it's by FROM, but because by all accounts it's intended to be another dark fantasy RPG that souls fans will be interested in, according to FROM. It's a very specific genre by a developer who has done a number of different ones.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
I just refer to these games as "souls-like". But i love the bs names people come up with lol.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Problem with that is a lot of people (myself included) like the souls-type games (which honestly souls-type is probably the most effective at getting the idea across), but don't really like their other games. I'm excited for Elden Ring not because it's by FROM, but because by all accounts it's intended to be another dark fantasy RPG that souls fans will be interested in, according to FROM. It's a very specific genre by a developer who has done a number of different ones.
None of us would be anywhere near as excited for Elden Ring if it wasn't by Fromsoftware. Heck, that's one of the few things we actually do know about it, haha!

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even know if Elden Ring is a Souls-like game in the first place? We practically know nothing about it aside from Martin's involvement.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I think limiting it to FromSoft titles is diminishing the impact other games have had on the Hollowsoulsbournekiroeniohrtalord Ring of the Surge Fallen: From the Ashes genre

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
The genre has been established. There is no reason to change it just because a new game releases. If anything, as more entries into the genre are released it becomes more evident that we should abandon Souls-borne and revert to Souls-like.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The genre has been established. There is no reason to change it just because a new game releases.

100% with you here.

If anything, as more entries into the genre are released it becomes more evident that we should abandon Souls-borne and revert to Souls-like.

I wouldn't go this far, though. I see the value of a name like Metroidvania or Souldborne in demonstrating both things that the games have in common as well as showcasing some additional room for variation. Ideally you'd want two different developers included because right now you could infer that it's not a Soulsborne if it's not by From. Some might even agree, but if that's the consensus then it's just a loosely connected series rather than a genre.

Still, it's notable that nobody else has really pulled it together enough to earn their way into the genre name. At this point they probably won't even if we do see some more credible offerings than the likes of Nioh (which I'd argue belongs to the same genre, but it isn't noteworthy enough to play a role in defining the genre.)

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Deliberate combat action RPG

Even though I think spatial awareness and exploration is also a big part of these games as well but the direct combat is the most in your face and noticable to your average person.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm excited for Elden Ring not because it's by FROM, but because by all accounts it's intended to be another dark fantasy RPG
What makes you excited for it if not From's involvement? They haven't showed anything.

And I'm not sure they've described it as "another dark fantasy RPG".

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss a gameplay reveal or something? How the fuck am I going to give a game a sub genre without even knowing what the fuck it is?

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
In serious note sekiro's genre is basically rhytm game disguised as action and soulsborne. Elden ring is expected to be the same but maybe with a new gimmick. But i hope it wont be rhytm, because i dont enjoy that genre

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think we can default to the Souls genre

Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring all come after Demon's SOULS and all have their own interpretation of a souls-like leveling system.

So I vote we shorten it to Souls genre, if anything.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Red sky believers, would you say it's more of a maroon or a crimson?

For those that chose not to switch doors in the monty hall problem, will you help with my math homework?

For those that saw a white and gold dress, what shoes would go best with it?

After putting the coconut in the lime, will you drink em bot up?

Mar 8, 2018
Soulslike is so clean because it captures the essence of the concept and it leans on established genre naming conventions like roguelike. We don't need to keep appending game titles, especially when the games actually differ in key ways.