• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Certainly you are correct, but it was a thing! I think it still shows just how big a deal Street Fighter was back then as well as the pervasive nature of CONSOLE WARZ!

I'm glad I lived it. 16 and 32-bit are still where it's at for me. Best eras in gaming.
I'm glad I lived it, too. Younger gamers probably can't picture fighting games being so common in public places, not just having way more arcades but Street Fighter and Neo Geo machines being at convenience stores, laundromats, bowling alleys, restaurants, and other locations.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
So how did Sega get Turbo? I thought Nintendo had exclusive rights back then?

Memory is hazy on this, I believe Nintendo had exclusive rights to SFII: world warrior. Nothing was mentioned about versions beyond this, so Sega got Champion Edition. Nintendo weren't happy so they got SFII Turbo.

Although Sega managed to get all the SFII Turbo content anyway.

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't bother me at the time...but I was 6 by the time Super Turbo came out so I wasnt paying for them, LOL. I was just happy to have more Street Fighter.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I would only rent SF2 games on the SNES (those carts were mad expensive), but I remember magazines being critical of Capcom, and how many versions they were releasing for full price with minimal upgrades.

I think Super Street Fighter 2 was almost $100CAD in 1994 dollars. Like, hell no, Capcom.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
So how did Sega get Turbo? I thought Nintendo had exclusive rights back then?

Memory is hazy on this, I believe Nintendo had exclusive rights to SFII: world warrior. Nothing was mentioned about versions beyond this, so Sega got Champion Edition. Nintendo weren't happy so they got SFII Turbo.

Although Sega managed to get all the SFII Turbo content anyway.

Yeah, SF2 Special Championship Edition on Genesis is basically SF2 Turbo/Hyper Fighting with a different name. It even has the SF2 Turbo colours when playing on the turbo mode. I guess Capcom figured out they can technically port the game under a different name despite the SNES exclusivity haha

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, SF2 Special Championship Edition on Genesis is basically SF2 Turbo/Hyper Fighting with a different name. It even has the SF2 Turbo colours when playing on the turbo mode. I guess Capcom figured out they can technically port the game under a different name despite the SNES exclusivity haha
Oh, so Capcom was being sneaky lol.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so Capcom was being sneaky lol.

Yeah, funnily enough they did it again somewhat recently. Sony had exclusivity for Ultra SF4 on last gen consoles (PS4), so Capcom/Microsoft instead made Super SF4: Arcade Edition (the 360 version) backwards compatible for Xbox One (which has DLC to upgrade the game to Ultra SF4). This is why the icon for the game on Xbox still displays Arcade Edition despite basically being Ultra SF4.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
The only one I owned was Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Loved it. Played the rest in the arcade formerly and rented and borrowed, World Warrior and Hyper Fighting.

These were not cheap, especially back then when you factor 70 bucks in 90s money. And my parents were far from rich.

I can't imagine the money I spent on the co-op installments from World Warrior all the way to ST as well. Although by ST I was a DarkStalkers guys. RIP.

Weirdly, I didn't feel like it was a ripoff. I was just excited with each installment. The magazines back then we're basically adverts with more adverts, so they hyped you up. Especially EGM, which had a special love for SF2.

Today, that shit doesn't fly. Most fighting games today have wisely moved the season model.
OP, I cannot begin to describe the thirst I had for any new revision of Street Fighter II as a teenager. My friend got a copy of this video on VHS, and I'm pretty sure we watched it like 60 times before the game came out.

As it turned out, the action was indeed "so fast" I did play it everyday.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
growing up with street fighter 2 meant going to the arcade and occasionally the machine would have a new version of SF2
This. It was always nice to walk into an arcade and see what was new. Being wowed be something crazy that just couldn't be done on the consoles at the time.

Or actually being good enough to put a quarter down, wait your turn, then back it up and dethrone whoever was holding the machine. Man i miss VF and VF2.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
You got to consider whether you had sf2 to play at home or you had it train at home.

Like, I didn't want an arcade stick. But it was critically important to beg for one because I needed the muscle memory lol.
You got an arcade stick in the 16bit era!?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
The only one I owned was Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Loved it. Played the rest in the arcade formerly and rented and borrowed, World Warrior and Hyper Fighting.

These were not cheap, especially back then when you factor 70 bucks in 90s money. And my parents were far from rich.
I didn't mind, but I think I only bought two versions on SNES.

For what it's worth, in Canada I seem to recall paying $120 for it on the SNES so it was basically the only game I could afford that year and resorted to renting anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember having to beg my parents to get me SF2 for SNES for Christmas the year its released, and then like 4-5 months later SF2 Turbo was announced/released. So yeah it was kind of annoying. If you thought DLC was bad.

This was my experience. We got World Warriors after seeing the ads for it ($70+) and then later we saw the ads for SFII Turbo. I don't recall how soon we picked up Turbo for another $70+, but I definitely felt like Turbo made WW obsolete and felt a bit sad about it.

Even after getting Turbo, we'd still pop in the older cart sometimes. It was quaint with the slower, more deliberate gameplay, dweeby Ryu and Guile portraits, and not having to remember to press start when selecting characters for the OG colors.

I have to admit I saw the new Turbo special moves as sort of tacked on. The new moves basically reused a lot of the existing animations, like E. Honda's Sumo Smash and Blanka's Vertical Roll. Chun-Li's fireball didn't properly redrawn until Super. It was the first time I saw the "seams" in game development, how Capcom reused assets to create new content. I also found it puzzling that Guile didn't get a Turbo move.

Last edited:

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I had SF2 for SNES, then one of my friends got SCE for Genesis and I thought it was so cool being able to play as the bosses (though he only had 3-button controllers...) Somehow I skipped Turbo, so I was pretty happy that Super essentially had 8 new characters plus all those new moves.

Did anyone else feel bummed out that Super Turbo never got an accessible home port until years later? I remember salivating at screens of the 3DO port.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I believe I bought Super Street Fighter II for the Genesis on release, and it was $80 back in 1994. My brother had a summer job and gave me the money to buy it. And I had a lot of fun with it for years, really beautiful to look at and play. We definitely could not afford iterations of the same game, so I didn't even look at other versions, but IIRC this was the best version for the Genesis regardless.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
My parents were divorced, so for me it was like:

- Street Fighter 2 on SNES at my dad's.
- Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition on Genesis at my mom's (I also had an SNES there).
- Eventually bought Super Street Fighter 2 for SNES used from a video store at my dad's.

I remember really wanting SF2 Turbo on SNES because I thought the box art was cool but never got it. I was an arcade rat as a kid so most of the other in-between versions I played there. I didn't really mind the new versions too much because I loved fighting games so much and it kept things exciting.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You got an arcade stick in the 16bit era!?

Yes. Ones made with not-arcade parts were common. There were bladders under the sticks and buttons and they were usually on the small side ($25-$50). I had this ascii one, which was fairly nice for the time:
latest

Capcom offered an expensive one (maybe $80 iirc). It was way nicer than the typical sort of thing and had micrositches for the stick:
capcom%2Bpowerstick.jpg

Then there was a couple cottage companies that had whatr we would call a real fight stick today. These were $150-$200 which was ludicrous for a kid to have. It was big kid toys. Though I knew 3 brothers who lived down the street, and they had one.This is the first one I ever heard of:

atk7gmsquf661.png

Last edited:

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't wait to get my hands on Turbo for the SNES after playing the shit out of WW. I passed on Super because I didn't like the way it felt on the SNES, also didn't think it looked as good…….AND, I believe Super Turbo was in arcades when the e SNES port released, so I was waiting for a port of that.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Ones made with not-arcade parts were common. There were bladders under the sticks and buttons and they were usually on the small side ($25-$50). I had this ascii one, which was fairly nice for the time:
latest

Capcom offered an expensive one (maybe $80 iirc). It was way nicer than the typical sort of thing and had micrositches for the stick:
capcom%2Bpowerstick.jpg

Then there was a couple cottage companies that had whatr we would call a real fight stick today. These were $150-$200 which was ludicrous for a kid to have. It was big kid toys. Though I knew 3 brothers who lived down the street, and they had one.This is the first one I ever heard of:

atk7gmsquf661.png
Oh, I think I remember that Capcom one. Didn't they make many SKUs of that? One of the Genesis and 3DO?

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't. I enjoyed the various updates and new characters enough. Super was crazy expensive in my country when it came out for the Mega Drive in my teenage years, though. I paid 120 USD, and that was many months of allowance, let me tell you!

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
As much as I loved SF2 and putting in quarters in the arcade, one time I went in and saw Zangief spinning his arms with fireballs coming out and ken's dragon punch going horizontal across the screen. . . was like, i'm good and played something else.

no I wasn't on shrooms or anything lol.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I only had super turbo and that's all I needed until the alpha series came out. Played other versions + game genie wackiness at other houses though.

Oct 27, 2017
No they were awesome I only bought sf2 and turbo on the snes. But they were pretty great ports. The amount of playtime they got was a lot. Yeah sf2t was like 70-80 buck but they got a ton of playtime.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I was happy when SF2 on SNES since my friends got the SCE on Genesis and Turbo on SNES. So I always had a way to play. I didn't care for vanilla Super tho.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody I knew got more than one version. Super SF2 got a rental, most of my friends had SF2 turbo. I didn't even know there was a version with no boss characters for a while. I was a Genesis kid myself and more into MK anyways.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Nope, definitely didn't. I had all 3 versions on SNES. Although, by the time Super SFII released on SNES I had kind of moved on and didn't play that one much even though I owned it. I played in the arcades a lot as well and I didn't bother with Super or Super Turbo much there either. I want to say by the time Super released in arcades I was more into MKII, but not quite sure about that timeline. It was long ago haha.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I never felt ripped off, they were about a year apart from eachother so they felt fresh enough. Reading game magazines to see what was coming was great for building hype, and really we played the absolute hell out of those games.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It didn't feel like a rip off because with Turbo you were getting 50% more characters. With a starting roster of eight, getting four more - the four bosses! - was huge.

That said, I only owned Turbo on the Super NES. I don't remember how I felt about the idea of buying SSF2. I was beyond hyped for it before it came out (I remember a magazine with the headline "Street Fighter 3 is here!!!"), but I never owned it. I wonder why. My memory is totally blank for a bunch of the Super NES gen. Years just missing. Weird.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I think about it, Alpha 1 was the first time I felt like I didn't get a whole street fighter game for my money.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I loved SSF2T. Though I mostly played on the arcades and only owned SSF2 on SNES.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I still own my copy of street fighter 2 world warrior for SNES and played the hell out of. I rented the new challengers but never felt I was ripped off. But now that I have MiSTer I can enjoy all the different arcade versions of street fighter 2 and even the alpha series it's freaking awesome.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, Alpha 1 was the first time I felt like I didn't get a whole street fighter game for my money.

Lol. The cycle of SF fandom never changes. "Hey this brand new series isn't as fleshed out as the previous one with 5+ interations,". Repeat that cycle every SF game since. Can't wait to hear it again when SF6 comes out.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Today it doesn't fly because DLC exists. Back then what was the choice? Most people didn't buy every version or even many versions. Friend had SF2, I had SF2 Turbo, other friend had super....not like they were that fun to play by yourself anyway

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. The cycle of SF fandom never changes. "Hey this brand new series isn't as fleshed out as the previous one with 5+ interations,". Repeat that cycle every SF game since. Can't wait to hear it again when SF6 comes out.

That was the first time it happened. Something has to happen more than once for it to be a cycle.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Ultimately, yes, I was.
These games were expensive. Like €100 in today's money, and I was ten, so had to save up for half a year to buy SF2. At the same time, I was ten and this kind of release cycle was completely new. What complicated the matter was that SEGA fans were claiming their uglier version ran a lot quicker and therefore they had the superior arcade experience. So when SF2 Turbo came around I had to rent it even though I owned the original, but at least this was a win for Team N (did I mention I was ten?), so I could live with it. By the time Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo came out I was definitely getting fed up with it though. Why couldn't I play Deejay and Hawk and the like. I bought a super expensive game and wasted money on renting, Street Fighter was dead to me.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it felt pretty ridiculous that instead of releasing proper sequels, they just kept releasing the same game with some additions each time. I know the diehard fans were fine with it at the time, but it ended up killing my interest in the series.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Most of the people I knew back then rented the majority of games so the perception of their value overall was a bit different.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
It kind of sucked, especially with super street fighting allowing you to play as the bosses and all, as well as having both players be able to pick the same character without a code.

but honestly, I was able to deal with it. Not like I had the money to do otherwise.

I don't think I bought another street fighter till alpha 3 though, on ps1.