• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From other thread

1e2c98f1-92be-4814-8c61-56258605b83c.jpg
I mean, if we're going with router memes to judge the design, this might be the worst example possible.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
My first impression was not great, but it's really grown on me today. Looks like something from Mass Effect.

There is an all black (batman edition) PS5 mock up doing the rounds. I can see some very impressive limited editions coming next gen.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the fact that it's white is what bothers me the most. It would stand out a lot in comparison to everything else, including my TV and TV stand. But I'm sure there will be a black one, at least eventually. So I'll get that.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing an analysis of how the shape directs airflow and how quiet that will make it.

Nov 18, 2017
The digital version certainly looks nice, i really dig the idea of a two tone console but i wish i could choose the colours. that white is garish.

personally would dig either black & blue (kinda like ps2) or black & red.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Industrial designer here.

This screams "aesthetic over functionality" decisions. I do get the black central part with the little holes is needed for the ventilation system they have gone for, so no complaints there. But the decision of making the lateral surfaces curved is just for the sake of aesthetic. You could have the exact same piece of hardware with flat sides. With this, you are overcomplicating not only the design of the console but also the design of the stand, that from the pictures is looking to be pretty ineffective. Just apply any force near the ends of the console and it is going to hell. This is basic physics.

In my book, when you are prioritizing how a product looks in detriment of its function, you are objectively damaging the product´s design.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It looks better horizontal. Kinda like a futuristic pistachio. Vertical looks weird especially with the disc version.

OP
OP
Midgarian

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I mean, if we're going with router memes to judge the design, this might be the worst example possible.
I find the router meme strange.

Router designs are quite cool looking in and of themselves, probably pressured by the fact they are located in very prominent and viewable parts of houses.

To me saying it looks like a router sounds like a compliment to its design.

This screams "aesthic over functionality" decisions. I do get the black central part with the little holes is needed for the ventilation system they have gone for, so no complaints there. But the decision of making the lateral surfaces curved is just for the sake of aesthetic. You could have the exact same piece of hardware with flat sides. With this, you are overcomplicating not only the design of the console but also the design of the stand, that from the pictures is looking to be pretty ineffective. Just apply any force near the ends of the console and it is going to hell. This is basic physics.

In my book, when you are prioritizing how a product looks in detriment of its function, you are objectively damaging the product´s design.
Thank you for your informed and qualified reply.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This screams "aesthic over functionality" decisions. I do get the black central part with the little holes is needed for the ventilation system they have gone for, so no complaints there. But the decision of making the lateral surfaces curved is just for the sake of aesthetic. You could have the exact same piece of hardware with flat sides. With this, you are overcomplicating not only the design of the console but also the design of the stand, that from the pictures is looking to be pretty ineffective. Just apply any force near the ends of the console and it is going to hell. This is basic physics.

I think it would look a lot better with flat sides, maybe the side with the disc drive were the same thickness rather than bulging outwards.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's ugly. It looks really odd now but maybe if you turn it to the right angle it will look decent.

It's not a huge deal. All of us who think it's laughable will get over it. Once it's actually here in my house maybe my opinion will change.

Jul 26, 2019
I have some problems with it but I like the design a lot and I think it's pretty cool that they choose a risky design and made it wavy.

But I think main reason why they felt to do something like that is size of the console. From the mockups, it looks pretty large and wide, if it trimmed to be simple rectangle with that size it would be pretty large block that might throw people off. Microsoft did get away from this by choosing Series X to be long square box. With wavy design, they maintained the same size with better shape value.

My main problem in the design is the disc drive. While standing up, they should have added little more wideness to the top left of the console to balance wave shape from top to bottom. I assume they might have considered it and choose not to add something like that to maintain recognisability between two SKUs.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah I mean it doesn't have to look like a cable modem, but this white fins design looks like something that came out of Microsoft's trash can when they were designing the Xbox 360.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Has the tech industry not solved this classic problem yet? Serious question, I have no idea.

If not, then what's the Scientific reason behind it not being achievable?

From what I understand in stuff like the Super Nintendo yellowing is caused by the oxidation of fire retardant chemicals in the plastic. No idea if there is a way to solve it. That being said, oxidation usually takes a long time to take effect, so I imagine Sony isn't worried about having a bunch of yellow PS5's in 30 years.

Edit: correction

The issue is not oxidation, it is actually UV light exposure.

Source: http://www.mountainouswords.com/mountain-air/retr0bright-restoration-project/

OP
OP
Midgarian

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
From what I understand in stuff like the Super Nintendo yellowing is caused by the oxidation of fire retardant chemicals in the plastic. No idea if there is a way to solve it. That being said, oxidation usually takes a long time to take effect, so I imagine Sony isn't worried about having a bunch of yellow PS5's in 30 years.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

It's bigger than the OG PS3?
Lol yes this took me by surprise. I assumed it was the form factor of the PS4 Pro.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that is surely something!

The stand looks too small to hold this behemoth. I hope the center of gravity is right so it won't wobble.

The question is: is this one stand that function in both vertical and horizontal orientations or are there two separate stands? It almost looks like the former seeing the size of it.
Don't worry about that, we'll have lots of stability updates to fix it.
e7OfM61.gif

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm far more of a fan of just having a much more generic sleeker black or white (not both!) rectangular box, with a flat side so that it can easily be laid down.

The showy aesthetic design of the ps5 doesn't do much for me.

I find the router meme strange.

Router designs are quite cool looking in and of themselves, probably pressured by the fact they are located in very prominent and viewable parts of houses.

To me saying it looks like a router sounds like a compliment to its design.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone put the router in a prominent, viewable part of the house. Nobody wants to look at those either!

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
While i'am not a big fan of the design of the PS5, i at least hope it will be quiet an cool.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Mentioned this in another thread, but my biggest problem with the design is the USB placement (why in the middle of the console???) & Disc Drive location, which makes the console asymmetrical at the bottom.

Quick mockup of how I wished it looked (though due to the desire to have a digital SKU without substantial changes to the internal components, I doubt would be possible.):

uReKt5m.jpg

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Lol yes this took me by surprise. I assumed it was the form factor of the PS4 Pro.

I was actually slightly incorrect. The issue is exposure to UV light, not oxidation. It also appears to be a mostly solved problem and was more of an issue in the 80s. The Super Nintendo's yellowing is partially because some manufacturers screwed up mixture of the plastic to where it yellows faster.

www.mountainouswords.com

Retrobright Restoration Project - Mountain Air

Retrobright can save yellowed game systems and computers! Works for the NES, SNES, Apple and any old computers that have faded yellow. Cool stuff.

Mar 23, 2018
I just know I don't like it. No clue about how it could look better, but that ain't my job. I'm worried about noise and thermals, though.

C2sPHog.png

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could look like a rotten banana for all I care. As long as it's cool and quiet, it'll be almost unseen in my tv cabinet.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
A console that looks similar to the PS2 or PS4 would be ideal for me.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
the console has a very original design and "futuristic", goes very well with the dualsense. i am very happy on how it turned out :)

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Asymmetry of the BRD version hurts, it's clearly a ploy to force me to fully embrace the all digital future.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Almost any fan mockup is better. The real thing is hideous.

Looks like a rejected design for a air conditioning machine.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Thank you for your informed and qualified reply.
No worries. Just thought I could add something of value to the discussion.

I guess there are marketing reasons behind its visual design. They probably want people to talk about how it looks and they are getting what they want so good for them. This is a bold design, both from a technical and visual point of view, so bravo for them. However, they can also go this route because they are a pretty established brand so "aesthetics" can be regarded as "no so important" in the mindset of fans and more loyal users. Just read some of the replies in the forum.

Apart from subjective considerations about how it looks, I hope the decisions made don´t affect too much the stability of the product.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
No lie, if people come over I'll tell them that its my new router from Google Fiber...lol!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My biggest issue is that it's ungodly huge. I will probably wait for a "thin" revision.
My second issue is how overdesigned it is. I want my consoles to be black, unconspicuous boxes. The assymetry of the one with the blu-ray drive is particularly unappealing to me.

Basically the design screams "look at me!", which always gets old fast.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
To sell the stand (provided it is not included in the box)?
I think the stand HAS to be included, as it appears to be required for both horizontal and vertical orientations. That said, I think the reason for the lack of flat surfaces has to do with cooling. It's either to discourage people from stacking other boxes on top of it or to at least ensure decent airflow if something IS stacked on top of it.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017

This screams "aesthetic over functionality" decisions. I do get the black central part with the little holes is needed for the ventilation system they have gone for, so no complaints there. But the decision of making the lateral surfaces curved is just for the sake of aesthetic. You could have the exact same piece of hardware with flat sides. With this, you are overcomplicating not only the design of the console but also the design of the stand, that from the pictures is looking to be pretty ineffective. Just apply any force near the ends of the console and it is going to hell. This is basic physics.

While I don't disagree with you, though I do like it for it's funky-ness, and would far prefer it in all matte black instead.

From the rumours of it getting hot, and with how the dev kit is designed to make sure that nothing can obstruct the fans. I think the idea behind the curves and odd shape is to make sure it doesn't end up wedged against anything, and can't be stacked. It seems to be very much designed around taking a space on a shelf by itself.

So while your looking at it from an aesthetic point of view, I imagine it's designed around the practicality of how they have decided to cool it, while also not wanting it to be just a box.

Mentioned this in another thread, but my biggest problem with the design is the USB placement (why in the middle of the console???) & Disc Drive location, which makes the console asymmetrical at the bottom.

Quick mockup of how I wished it looked (though due to the desire to have a digital SKU without substantial changes to the internal components, I doubt would be possible.):

uReKt5m.jpg

As almost every console design has shown, you will never have a disc drive in the middle of a console, it just isn't a practical place to put it as that's where most of the other important parts are going. Every modern console has the disc drive to one side and usually in the top half part, older consoles use to just stick them straight on top.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Most unique looking consoles are met with a similar reaction at the reveal. N64, Dreamcast, GameCube...eventually you get used to it and it becomes iconic. I think it will at least age better than the launch PS3.

I'm just happy they went for an actual design rather than a grey box, I thought the era of exotic console hardware was a thing of the past.