• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like many indie games go through the terrible-concept-art-to-beatiful-final-product transition, but Stardew Valley's transformation is especially impressive to me.

From 2012:

02.png

01.png
NEW26-1024x640.png
Holy cow, looks like an RPG Maker game lmao

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm fairly certain that the "gameplay" shown there is just a cutscene with a menu rendered. A tease for what they wanted to achieve. Kinda slimy.

A lot of games during those few years did the same thing. Ultimately the combat system in Lightning Returns became the closest to the way this trailer looked albeit without the random cart wheels and dramatic moving and camera work.

I feel like many indie games go through the terrible-concept-art-to-beatiful-final-product transition, but Stardew Valley's transformation is especially impressive to me.

From 2012:

02.png

01.png
NEW26-1024x640.png

The crazy thing is that the developer learnt sprite artwork from scratch, got better after a year or two, and went back to redo everything because he improved so much and couldn't stand his previous work.

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
So glad they changed it.

Honestly you reminded me of some more Metriod development that changed from the final development.

The first one was Metroid Fusion which looked like a gameboy color game. I am thankful they change it in the final release

The other one was Metroid Prime that doesn't look too different from the final version but it did have some differences.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alan Wake back when it was an open world style game with a day/night cycle and really advanced dynamic physics simulations:

Alan Wake is a great game, but it's interesting to see how ambitious the original vision for this game was.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
FF Versus XIII > FFXV is usually my go to but it seems many others beat me to it.

Don't know if this counts, but this was somehow turned into Let it Die.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017

You can't explain this

I still wonder where the hell they were going to go with the original Revelations story. Like was this Chris an imposter? Or an illusion? Maybe Jill was looking to recover a BOW virus and thought he had gone rogue and taken it?

And Hunk was on the ship, I'm assuming trying to get ahold of a virus. Then you have classic T-Virus zombies. This version of the game looked more interesting for sure.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't see this posted but the original DMC4 design of Dante is something.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The first off screen footage of BOTW is quite different from the final game. The location/geography is different as is the UI and a lot of design elements.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
I still wonder where the hell they were going to go with the original Revelations story. Like was this Chris an imposter? Or an illusion? Maybe Jill was looking to recover a BOW virus and thought he had gone rogue and taken it?

And Hunk was on the ship, I'm assuming trying to get ahold of a virus. Then you have classic T-Virus zombies. This version of the game looked more interesting for sure.

Agreed. However, I'm not sure if they had the entire thing finished because the dialogue at the end is incredibly vague. What is it they're talking about? I don't know.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Didn't see this posted but the original DMC4 design of Dante is something.

Wow, this is new to me. This version of Dante is definitely more somber and angry than we've seen him (outside a particularly charged scene). But I guess it makes sense as a bridge between carefree young Dante and detached older Dante before 5 retconned that timeline