• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda offtopic, but I still dont get why 64 is THAT beloved. Same for Mario Bros 3.

Like they are good, but they aren't Galaxy good.
After playing them all v recently, 2D Mario in general plays a lot better even if it's less "exciting" or immersive. Easier to polish 2D gameplay though. As good as Galaxy is, it still has issues in the controls department for example.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason it's often considered one of the best games of all time. Galaxy 2 is even better in a lot of ways.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It blew me away as a kid and I'm still impressed about how near perfect the game is. I plan to play Mario Galaxy with my niece so she can experience it. But its just such an amazing experience

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I love threads like this where everyone is happy and enjoying a game. It rarely happens online. I live for this. Games can be the great unifier, like Phil has said. Moments like these are emblematic of that

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A case can be made that Galaxy 1+2 are the greatest video games ever made. Gonna' be a damn tragedy if Nintendo doesn't port Galaxy 2 to Switch at some point.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Top 10 game of all time for sure. If you made the word "Magical" into a video game it's literally Mario Galaxy.

Oct 27, 2017
The Galaxy series still feel 'next gen' to me. I love the gravity-influenced gameplay and being able to walk around literally everywhere and in any direction. My mind hadn't been this blown since playing mario 64.

Nov 21, 2017
It is probably the pinnacle of 3D game design. Galaxy 2 refined it a bit ( about as much as you can refine perfection ), but nothing has quite hit me like Galaxy did back in the Wii days. It is just a sublime experience all the way through.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait till you go on Galaxy 2. While the impact of Galaxy 1 isint there, the game is far better paced and just right, difficulty wise.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
After the Gamecube years, though I did think that the Wii was a masterstroke in making gaming accessible to a lot more people - Nintendo's best games were behind them.

Mario Galaxy reminded me to never underestimate them again. Incredible game, and I look forward to buying it separately for my Switch one day.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I read the title wrong. Read it as "how is this game good" lol.

But welcome to the club OP. It's an amazing game. Unfortunately I never finished it on the Wii but I get to do so with the collection

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine it being topped by Super Mario Galaxy 2. That aside, GOAT tier soundtrack.

THIS MUSIC IS THE LITERAL REALIZATION OF PEOPLE'S DREAMS.
Mario Galaxy brought to life everything every kid daydreamed and doodled about watching Super Mario Bros. 3 - the greatest game of all time - and did so in the most bombastic and epic way. 5 years of waiting for what came next after Sunshine, 10 years after Mario entered 3D altogether in 64, and you got:

- beautiful graphics
- Mario fucking around in goddamn zero-g space what the fuck
- airships
- powerups like mushrooms and flowers came back in 3d

and this orchestral soundtrack that you never thought they'd do for Mario...fuck, this game is just so special.

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was already excited to play, but this thread is pushing me over the top! I missed out on Galaxy 1 and 2 so very much looking forward to playing with fresh eyes soon.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
I replayed this earlier in the year and it's a top 5 game of all time. I used WII controller and it is so great. Not sure how the controls fit the switch are, but galaxy is the best Mario game ever.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda offtopic, but I still dont get why 64 is THAT beloved. Same for Mario Bros 3.

Like they are good, but they aren't Galaxy good.
It's the lens of what the games did at the time. SMB3 and 64 were massive leaps forward in the series. Galaxy is 1000x better but it's the idea we don't get galaxy if we don't have 64 first.

Galaxy is great and tons of fun but it doesn't redefine my expectations of what a game is like 64 did for me as a kid. Now I kinda expect Nintendo's premiere character to have perfectly controlled platforming magic

I'm playing on pro controller instead of joycons...are the waggle while riding on the star ball levels any better with joy cons? Or are they just BS regardless?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
But Era did.
www.resetera.com

Resetera's 101 Essential Platformers: Top 101 Posted, Honorable Mentions Posted

Welcome to the inaugural Essential Platformers thread on Era! Following in the footsteps of kswiston's 101 Essential RPGs thread and Gradon's 51 Essential Horror Games thread, this thread attempts to highlight all of the greatest jump 'n' runners in the industry, as chosen collectively by you...
See, it's #4 on this list.
Never seen that list. Don't like it lol. SM64 is a masterpiece and one of the most important games ever made, but Galaxy 1/2 and Odyssey are just plain better games.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Galaxy doesn't feel like the third game in the 3D Mario sub-series. It feels like it should be like a 7th or 8th game that was the series' big creative comeback after a long stretch of miserable attempts to recreate Mario 64's success. But instead they skipped that part and somehow turned their third 3D game into some crazy gravity shifting weird space adventure when they could've just kept making Mario 64 games. I think we take for granted 3D Mario could've just been what New Super Mario Bros became, but instead Nintendo just said no thanks.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Galaxy was by far the best 3D Mario. The game is peak creativity and pure magic. I bought a Wii back then for this game and The Last Story.
Worth it.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
It's incredible.

Too bad we'll probably never get a proper remake with modern graphical tech, that would probably look incredible too. :(

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Personally I think it's one of the top 10 games of all time and the best Mario game.

It's worth getting all 120 power stars to see everything the game has to offer. You can finish the story with just 60 but by doing that you miss out on so much.

Try and do everything you can in a Galaxy before rushing on to see the next stage. The 3rd star in the main Galaxies are usually a boss battle.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I bought Galaxy on the Wii at launch and was always put off by the controls. I was just so over the Wiimote+nunchuck combo especially when the motion controls feel really unnecessary (which is true of many of the motions in Galaxy). At some point I tried the game in Dolphin but stuff like moving the cursor, steering the stingray and such just all felt super clunky to me so I fell off it again. The Switch version of Galaxy solved all the controls issues I had and the necessary motion controls felt better to me.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
I wish I could play Galaxy again for the first time. Everything about the game is so magical. The way you land those jumps, the designs of the enemies, I have nothing but good memories. Haven't played Odyssey yet but from those I have Galaxy is my favorite.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best games of all time. Nintendo firing on all cylinders is a force to be reckoned with.

Mar 8, 2018
I'll never get over how absurdly incredible Galaxy's art direction is. Galaxy is utterly ageless from an art standpoint. Only game that I can think of that comes close is Windwaker.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely one of the all time greats. I might make the argument that Galaxy's soundtrack is the greatest video game OST ever; Gusty Garden was instantly iconic.

It makes you wonder how they were ever able to make a direct sequel honestly. Galaxy is stuffed full of unique and creative ideas with near flawless execution, and they somehow managed to expand upon those ideas and more with Galaxy 2.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I rarely make threads but I picked up Super Mario 3D All Stars for my Switch last week and started Galaxy yesterday for the first time. I never got around to getting a Wii so this is my first experience with it, just what the hell is this?

It's insanely good.

I've always liked PlayStation and Xbox outputs more personally speaking, but I still enjoy Zelda and Mario to different degrees. This is just sublime. Everything from the buttery smooth controls, to the solid 60 frames to the art direction, the fantastic musical score, the feedback both visually and audio wise when hitting enemies, gathering stars, or engaging in any action at all, the variety and unique design of every damn planet. It's magical.

I've played a lot of 3D Marios over the years. And I loved Odyssey...but this, this is hitting different.

Era, ya'll never told me how good this was.

tenor.gif
We told ya. You didn't want to listen. Now understand why everyone wants galaxy 3.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Bruh the the entire internet for the last 13 years has been talking about how great Galaxy is, What'chu mean why didn't anyone tell you???? My boy has been living under a (Sony/Microsoft) rock for 13 years.

Raikkonen94

Oct 4, 2019
My favorite Mario game (even though Galaxy 2 is probably the better game), period. It's just that good. I'm happy more people get to play this masterpiece now.

Apr 9, 2019
It's my favourite Mario game. And that's coming from someone who normally prefers 2D Mario over 3D.

Being able to play it on Switch and in HD in an official capacity makes it shine even more brightly!