• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
It's a Mexican Wakanda that was hidden beneath the ocean instead of behind an illusory wall.

Yeah I don't get the hangups people are having about this.

Atlantis was gonna be filled with someone, so why not who Marvel went with?
The melding of imagery is looking mighty fine imo.

And that shot with the whales, maaaaaaan. Haven't seen any of the p4 movies in theaters but I'm going for this one. + gotta represent for the melanated peoples.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Need to see more, trailer did nothing for me..

Yeah OK... unless you're literally a robot it's impossible not to feel some kind of way with how that trailer was presented... Especially in light of Tchalla/Chadwick's passing.

It's like when people say they didn't care about anything to do with any of Fast and the Furious media right after Paul Walker's death. Like OK do you really need to let the internet know you don't care? Just don't say anything at all then. For a lot of folks, this shit means a lot.

what i dont get is why are people focusing on the atlantean side of the problem

i dont care about Atlantis

i care about the mexican aesthetics being used in something that no one ever has made the connection to.

"it looks cool"

of course it looks cool it has been looking cool for thousands of years. why do they need to apply it to something that has NOTHING to do with it?

now, if in the movie, it is not actually Atlantis, but an ancestral mexican city or something, that would be cool

but Atlantis???

nah

People on this forum need to get out more...

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I still fail to see the the "problem" here. Again, there is NO cultural that has anything to do with Atlantis. So there being a lack of historic connection doesn't somehow make Mexico off limits when looking for inspiration.

The outcome, Mexican representation, is better than the alternative of not choosing this setting for arbitrary reasoning like "Atlantis hasn't previously been associated with this culture".

If I am reading the post correctly, I think they wanted a uniquely Mexican location/country/city without any ties at all to Atlantis. The idea is that this concept should have started as cool Mexican Wakanda instead of Atlantis == cool Mexican Wakanda.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
If I am reading the post correctly, I think they wanted a uniquely Mexican location/country/city without any ties at all to Atlantis. The idea is that this concept should have started as cool Mexican Wakanda instead of Atlantis == cool Mexican Wakanda.
Which is weird since technically Wakanda isn't a real country it's a fictional one set in Africa. For all we know Atlantis is an underground city right next to Mexico. We honestly don't know yet unless you believe in all the leaks

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Haven't followed much of the MCU since Endgame apart from the last Spider-man film, but this and the upcoming Daredevil series have definitely got me thinking about catching up. What a cool trailer.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

exactly, im sure everything will be A+ regarding this Atlantis and Namor

but an unique city/country created for the MCU or this Namor would be way cooler for me.

instead of adding one more interpretation to the already dozens interpretations there already exists of Atlantis.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Perhaps, but the argument Feels much like grasping at straws when the likely alternative would be that some white culture would have been chosen as inspiration for this adaptation of Atlantis and the Namor character, and there would continue to be no Mexican Wakanda.

Given a blank slate, the producers chose to take the opportunity to represent mesoamerica. Wether this city is called Atlantis or some other uniquely Mexican name doesn't move the needle. If anything, Atlantis will probably be a Western tag applied to the city, not what the locals call it.

Last edited:

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

but an unique city/country created for the MCU or this Namor would be way cooler for me.

instead of adding one more interpretation to the already dozens interpretations there already exists of Atlantis.

And I get it, in the real world it would be cool if ideas came to be with the most sincere of intentions, in the most ideal way. But that is not how things work. Like, it would have been ideal if Wakanda had come about in some other way than two white guys making comics for kids, or that it was not occasionally written as a mildly xenophobic ethnostate.

Same here, clearly the idea was: "how do we make Atlantis unique and completely distinct from other interpretations?" And this interpretation snowballed from there.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

I mean Namor has been tied to Atlantis since 1938. I don't think they wanted to inherently change that when they had complete freedom other than it being in the Atlantic. Plus that'll just be one of its names anyways, do you really think that's the local name for it?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean Namor has been tied to Atlantis since 1938. I don't think they wanted to inherently change that when they had complete freedom other than it being in the Atlantic. Plus that'll just be one of its names anyways, do you really think that's the local name for it?

this is what im hoping for

and in that case, that's the name they push, going forward

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

I was thinking this EXACT thing.

The number of times this place is going to be called Atlantis will be few.

I expect the appropriate mesoamerican name with Atlantis parenthesized. With a scene tying the two places together along with a reference to Plato.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
this is what im hoping for

and in that case, that's the name they push, going forward
Oh the world stage will definitely still refer to them as Atlantis tho for marketing recognizability reasons. Doesn't mean Namor will be pleased with it but he always has a beef with the surface world

FYI I mean in the context Namor tends to be in bad terms with the rest of the world so they call it that so everybody gets the concept and to mock him

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the world stage will definitely still refer to them as Atlantis tho for marketing recognizability reasons. Doesn't mean Namor will be pleased with it but he always has a beef with the surface world

I think that will be a differentiator. The Wakandans will most likely still call it by the actual name while everyone else calls it Atlantis.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
What if they applied the name Tenochtitlan to it (or something like that)? Instead of Atlantis, maybe Atlantis is a name ascribed to the place by others

tenoch.jpg

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
what i dont get is why are people focusing on the atlantean side of the problem

i dont care about Atlantis

i care about the mexican aesthetics being used in something that no one ever has made the connection to.

"it looks cool"

of course it looks cool it has been looking cool for thousands of years. why do they need to apply it to something that has NOTHING to do with it?

now, if in the movie, it is not actually Atlantis, but an ancestral mexican city or something, that would be cool

but Atlantis???

nah
I'd be honestly afraid of "It looks cool" if Namor wasn't being played by someone with indeguois ancentry and it's was just being treated as indeguois.

The first is true.

Let's see how the movie plays out before we get upset about the second.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Basically yeah. Atlantis will just be another of the many names for it depending on various cultures' lost civilization mythologies. But it can be located anywhere and bear only surface (heh) similarities.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
This is the best trailer the mcu has put out easily. Everything from behind the scenes sounds like it's been super tough to get this made but but I really hope they pull it off

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got a recorded video of the live audience reacting to the trailer at Hall H?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
does anybody know how involved directors are with these trailers? because I found marvel trailers to be kind of boring stinkers for the most part but Coogler's marketing has been fire from Creed onwards, including this. serves really nice as a mourning for Boseman and the segue into "Alright" is just really well done too including the messaging. Great trailer.

Anyways whoever was involved with cutting this did a great job. I wasn't even looking forward to it until I saw this.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
does anybody know how involved directors are with these trailers? because I found marvel trailers to be kind of boring stinkers for the most part but Coogler's marketing has been fire from Creed onwards, including this. serves really nice as a mourning for Boseman and the segue into "Alright" is just really well done too including the messaging. Great trailer.

Anyways whoever was involved with cutting this did a great job. I wasn't even looking forward to it until I saw this.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/westernwilder/status/1551015376779063296
Seems like him and his team did the Andor trailer as well. Disney should use them more often

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Was not expecting a Tems/Bob Marley x Kendrick Lamar mash-up, let alone to have it hit like a damn truck.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So, what are Namor powers exactly ?
High tier super strength(calm Hulk and Thor tier), in water stat and healing boost, flight(his mutant power), high durability (he can go to the bottom of the ocean with zero gear he has to be tough), longevity, ability to live in water and air. He's had a trident capable of hydrokenesis for a long time and a ton of other Atlantean artifacts like a summoning horn. Oh and being marvels #1 self righteous asshole antihero who only cares about his domain and people. The surface can burn for all he cares as long as the oceans are safe

Oh and womanizer, doesn't matter if it's a giant octopus monster either

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
High tier super strength(calm Hulk and Thor tier), in water stat and healing boost, flight(his mutant power), high durability (he can go to the bottom of the ocean with zero gear he has to be tough), longevity, ability to live in water and air. He's had a trident capable of hydrokenesis for a long time and a ton of other Atlantean artifacts like a summoning horn. Oh and being marvels #1 self righteous asshole antihero who only cares about his domain and people. The surface can burn for all he cares as long as the oceans are safe

Wait. Namor is considered a mutant (by marvel standards)? Also, he can fly?

Idk why I thought he was just Aquaman. Wait. Can Aquaman fly too? Lol.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Powerful trailer.
I bet I know who the new Panther is :) don't look at funko pop teases if you don't want to know.

Nakia

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
also worth mentioning he's the king of atlantis and all the benefits that come with being a monarch of probably the second most powerful/technological city on marvel earth

so he has a lot

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I feel like Gustaf's posts aren't particularly hard to understand. They wanted something more specific and unique to Mesoamerican(?) culture, which is completely fair? People acting like they're outraged and upset and not just presenting a reasonable perspective.

Kinda reminds me of how Wakanda was referred to as El Dorado in Africa, not bad, just... huh

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/westernwilder/status/1551015376779063296
Seems like him and his team did the Andor trailer as well. Disney should use them more often

okay yeah they do great trailers

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Namor is considered a mutant (by marvel standards)? Also, he can fly?

Idk why I thought he was just Aquaman. Wait. Can Aquaman fly too? Lol.
His half human which as a result gave him the x gene
It's why he can fly and he's much stronger than the average atlantean being Hulk/Thor tier

Oct 25, 2017

Well damn….kinda stacked