• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veracity:

• Valid

Votes: 305 51.4%
  • Venal

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Val Venus

Votes: 234 39.5%

• Total voters

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Got an idea what's going on with port 1? Just a weird angle? Proprietary plug for PSVR or something (but still has the USB logo for some reason...)?
NUKXl4f.png
I mentioned this in the other thread pro has an out proprietary port like this on the rear of the console for PSVR for the processing unit. Pretty sure it's USB.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Those ports aren't even USB-C yet we're told the PS5 will use USB-C ports right? so I doubt it's anything to overthink. Just cheaper to stick them on a dev kit?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tell you what, Sony should buck tradition and make the retail unit look like this dev kit.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Seems real enough. How about details on what's inside the box, on a lower level than Sony has offered? Surely that would be less risky to leak than a photo too?

May 18, 2018
Maybe the retail design will be like this, albeit smaller, but with a form of plastic shell over it to make it look like a standard console. Maybe the plastic 'lids' will have a 'v' design or some sort of dust reducing vent holes too.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Does it matter if it is real or fake?

The dev kit design is going to be different than the final design, especially the early dev kit design, And it doesn't reveal any sort of hidden features or specs.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Is making a game for consoles impossible without a devkit? Even indie games? I doubt the crappy rush of low effort XBLIG were made using dev kits

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It cant really look like that right? Its friggin hideous. I'd honestly pass until they release the revised build if we get a consumer model anything like that.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Seems real enough. How about details on what's inside the box, on a lower level than Sony has offered? Surely that would be less risky to leak than a photo too?
im guessing final speeds and specs are all tbd, and ray tracing hardware not included or less powerful than final hardware. My armchair guess is 65W 8/16 Zen 2 and Radeon 5500 with 64 GB unified RAM inside

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently people can't even bother reading the title of the thread where it says Devkit smh

Mar 23, 2018
Would the release design differ that much based on the vents of the dev kit shown in the patent? Surely thinner and smaller overall, of course

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was watching an interview with Cerny and Andrew House from back in 2014 and the final design of the PS4 was chosen by the latter. Andrew had around 5 designs in his desk, which he later cut down to two and spend a lot of time thinking about which one he should pick.

Hopefully Jim Ryan is a man of good taste and picks up a cool design too.

Another unrelated story is from the 2013 gamelab presentation, where cerny said and I quote: "the number one request from developers for the PS4 was unified memory - something I was surprised. They also said if we had to spend our budget it should be on an extremely powerful GPU. He said developers didn't want a gpu that could do ray tracing (which devs thought it was exotic technology at the time) because their tools weren't ready for that.

I wonder if dev teams have been preparing for a long time now knowning ray tracing would be a thing in PS5/Scarlett.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What if the PS5 is a tinier and skinnier "V" tho, having that minimalist approach to design while still retaining that shape.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I know this is (probably) fake and everything but I can't get over how much I'm imagining that thing either blowing up or growing robot arms to murder me

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I don't see any C ports though. I only see the usual A/B ports.

Since they are going all in on SSD it seems like ti would make sense to get USB and some really high speeds so you could take advantage of an external SSD too. I doubt it could cost much as every new electronic device is using C.
Yeah, USB C ports with Thunderbolt 3 support (5000 Megabytes/sec) are really the only hope for external drives to keep up with the rumored PCIe 4.0 internal drives in the new consoles.

Whatever happens, I don't want to be limited to unexpandable internal storage.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The people who want one of these in their home....what the eff is wrong with you.

It's an abomination of the highest order, somewhere between a "gamer" PC case , a fan heater and a the Component of a car engine.

I'm sure it's extremely functional, but there is not a Chance in hell the retail unit will bear any resemblance to that.