• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Imagine being so full of hate that you immediately think any criticism of anyone is "obviously" based on their gender solely. Feel sorry for you. Absolutely Pathetic and will enjoy adding you to my ignore list.

Tons of examples of amazing things women are doing in the world of Star Wars - Bryce Dallas Howard, can't wait for Jenkins take on this world, Kalogridis doing KOTOR after doing some amazing work. Yet for you, criticizing a Kennedy means I am a woman in power hater. People like you are what makes this forum a joke around the internet.

"I'm not sexist, honest, look at these women I'm name dropping."

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds dumb as hell and exactly what they shouldn't be doing.

This Obi-Wan project should have been a Star Wars version of Fistful of Dollars, not some planet-hopping rematch with Darth Vader. He shouldn't be leaving Tatooine and fighting the Empire.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Rian Johnson saves us, it seems clear to me that Lucas should have never sold to Disney. They are completely unimaginative and only care about mining nostalgia and providing the most base level entertainment.
Yeah, but it's not like (for my money anyway) Lucas should have kept it either. I wouldn't have any interest in Lucas penning a new trilogy, or atleast I doubt it'd fair any better than the prequels did.

I don't know who he should have sold it to. Maybe no one.

Maybe Lucas should have just released the copyright itself. Let anyone who wants to make SW make whatever they want. Atleast that way we'd definitely have people who want to push SW having the ability to make it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but this Star Wars. Retcons and the Wars go hand in hand. They did in the originals. They did in the prequels. They did in the new trilogy. They did it in the spin-offs. I mean, "rematch" is a loose term here with plenty of playing room to dance around what was actually said in ANH.

Just roll with it. Execution is always the key here

Definitely. Star Wars has been retconned endless times lol.

I still think Vader and Obi-wan facing each other again before ANH to be kinda dumb though.

Oct 25, 2017
I raised an eyebrow when Hayden's return was announced but hearing that they're actually going to try and get another Obi-Wan vs. Vader fight happening is wildly disappointing. Doesn't really make a lick of sense in the lore. Whatever, though.

Lmao you know, to be honest. At this point I feel like the star wars movies are more stifling to the creative direction that star wars needs to go in to be successful than they are helpful.

So while I get where you're coming from I can't help but be excited for this.

Oct 28, 2017
If Obi goes vs Darth before A New Hope, doesn't that defeat the whole.....When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.......Was he still learning 10 years later?

I think about this as well but I am sure they get this as well. (Boy do I hope so)

Remember when we thought this show would be about a Ronin Obi-Wan defending a village from desert bandits or something

Maybe Mando has stolen some of that thunder?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wait they're gunna confront each other after ROTS but before ANH? I don't see how that doesn't fuck with the impact of their final meeting/fight in ANH. Really not sure about that one, sounds like bad fan service opposed to good

Still excited for the show but eh..

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is a franchise that has multiple sub fandoms. And each fandom lives in a different reality.

Now try pleasing each and everyone of them.

George Lucas knew what was he was doing when he sold the franchise.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if Obi-Wan convinces Anakin to try to take on the Emperor, and the rematch they're talking about is Obi-Wan+Anakin vs Sith enemy?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest he sounded very bad in Rogue One (I don't even remember the Rebels stuff)

They could possibly go for an imitator if they think that will be better quality

Scott Lawrence (whom also played Jarek Yeager in Resistance) played Vader in

Jedi: Fallen Order

and sounded great there. I could see them using him again since I think out of all the Vader voices I've heard over the years, he does the best impression of JEJ.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Not really especially if Vader loses that fight as well. Ultimately we already know how this second match is gonna go before it even starts. Vader gonna get his ass handed to him yet again...so in theory it dosnt retcon or change anything in ANH.

Vader is presumed dead by Palpatine in an episode of Rebels set a couple of years before ANH.

Palpatine: Skywalker's apprentice could lead us to other lost Jedi.

Vader: Such as Kenobi

Palpatine: If he lives

So this battle needs to end with Obi Wan presumed dead.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If there is going to be a rematch, I'd like to see it end with Vader beating Obi-wan pretty convincingly and Obi-wan barely escaping, which would explain why he'd want to avoid Vader until ANH. By which time he's realized that the only way to 'win' is not to fight.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Star Wars is a franchise that has multiple sub-fandoms. And each fandom lives in a different reality.

Now try pleasing each and everyone of them.
i mean with the rate they goin they gonna have a disney plus show pleasing a different segment of the fanbase,they producing a spy star wars series for chris sake

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
I'm gonna forego any hope of seeing live action Vader getting back into the pod racing scene.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
I hope it's somewhat more psychological though, like Hayden being the voice of doubt and failure since Obi lives with the guilt of letting all this happen to Anakin in the first place. They're not going to top Mustafar, so I'd rather the rematch be cerebral.

Being haunted by failing his student, best friend, and entire order is pretty much exactly the tone anything to do with hermit Kenobi needs. I could see an Arkham Knight style working out well with pre-Mustafar Vader hanging around Kenobi's hut and undermining everything he tries to do.

Remember when we thought this show would be about a Ronin Obi-Wan defending a village from desert bandits or something

That's more or less a high-level summary of the old EU Kenobi novel - getting sucked into local Tatooine problems, defending farms, conflict with the Sand People (but not always violent), then ultimately the realisation that he's causing too much ruckus for a guardian and disappearing back into the wastes.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Wait they're gunna confront each other after ROTS but before ANH? I don't see how that doesn't fuck with the impact of their final meeting/fight in ANH. Really not sure about that one, sounds like bad fan service opposed to good

Still excited for the show but eh..
Only way it dosnt affect the plot-line of ANH is if Obi Wan kicks his ass yet again to the point of not killing him, yet again. 😆 Imagine how hard Darth Vader will job yet again against Obi to have to say "when I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master"...

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Vader is presumed dead by Palpatine in an episode of Rebels set a couple of years before ANH.

Well Vader just has to lie to Sheev if they meet again.

Though Vader always fails at trying to pull one over on Sheev so yeah it'll probably be they both think Obi is dead.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is going to be a rematch, I'd like to see it end with Vader beating Obi-wan pretty convincingly and Obi-wan barely escaping, which would explain why he'd want to avoid Vader until ANH. By which time he's realized that the only way to 'win' is not to fight.
They fight on the Clone-making planet and Obi-Wan falls into the machine that was used to speed up the ageing of the Clone Troopers. The machine overloads and Vader presumes Obi-Wan dies.

Obi-wan survives but is severely weakened and aged (cue Alec Guinness deepfake)

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
i mean with the rate they goin they gonna have a disney plus pleasing a different segment of the fanbase,they producing a spy star wars for chris sake
I see what they are doing tho. Give the fans who only want to see a return on their investment, the fanservice they want and let other creators take SW to new places like Lesley Headland and Taika Waititi's projects.

edit: also I am not sure why people are concerned about retconning.... this is Star Wars.

Last edited:

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020

Ah I see. I hadn't watched Rebels yet so that little tidbit was unknown to me.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The idea doesn't really bother me, if they execute it well, it's all good. It can just be an Ahsoka situation all over again where everyone went ape shit calling Lucas a hack bastard who should die for retconning in some hidden padawan of Anakkn the movies never mentioned.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but it's not like (for my money anyway) Lucas should have kept it either. I wouldn't have any interest in Lucas penning a new trilogy, or atleast I doubt it'd fair any better than the prequels did.

I don't know who he should have sold it to. Maybe no one.

Maybe Lucas should have just released the copyright itself. Let anyone who wants to make SW make whatever they want. Atleast that way we'd definitely have people who want to push SW having the ability to make it.

As you know, I'm way more interested in Lucas' take on a sequel trilogy than Disney. He would have had something to say and it would've been unique and not purely nostalgia pandering. It seems only RJ is interested in that stuff though.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Them retconning a New Hope is not gonna be received well.

The OT is a pointless sequence of events that end up in failure until the actual hero of this whole saga Rey Sky..sky...lmao...Skywalker arrives and does it all again but for real this time.

So in the immortal words of Han Solo...
2ac9c893039095f5f8260da1cc41780a.gif

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Absolutely pathetic and transparent.

And also brilliant, because you clearly don't know what her job is. At worst she gave them JJ and Chris an idea, and they fucked up the execution. But clearly she's at fault and they aren't because... well, I think we all know what causes the Kathleen Kennedy hatred and it's not her talent.
Ugh the video he linked to is from a cringe studio. Even stood up for Gina.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi is apparently quite bad at making sure Luke Skywalker is safe if he has time to go on adventures through the galaxy when he is supposed to be looking after baby Luke
Not sure how much looking after Obi-Wan is actually doing given he lives miles away across the desert, and rarely if ever even interacted with Luke's family.

(And why does Owen have such a negative opinion of him? The man gave him his nephew!)

Imagine being so full of hate that you immediately think any criticism of anyone is "obviously" based on their gender solely. Feel sorry for you. Absolutely Pathetic and will enjoy adding you to my ignore list.

Tons of examples of amazing things women are doing in the world of Star Wars - Bryce Dallas Howard, can't wait for Jenkins take on this world, Kalogridis doing KOTOR after doing some amazing work. Yet for you, criticizing a Kennedy means I am a woman in power hater. People like you are what makes this forum a joke around the internet.
lol @ this "imagine being so full of hate" faux outrage when the very first thing you posted in this thread was to attack Kennedy's involvement, paired with a bullshit claim about her ruining Mando that you had to edit out, and followed up later by calling her a liar.

I have bad news for you -- every single one of those women, and more (like Deborah Chow and Leslye Headland), was also hired by Kathleen Kennedy. Anything Star Wars you're watching between now and Kathleen Kennedy's retirement/move to another company will feature her involvement.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
As you know, I'm way more interested in Lucas' take on a sequel trilogy than Disney. He would have had something to say and it would've been unique and not purely nostalgia pandering. It seems only RJ is interested in that stuff though.
Like....the PT has tons of OT references and things that are just there for fanservice and to hit your nostalgia button. It's just that, yes, Lucas would have also added stuff in addition to that. I would go as far as saying Lucas is as bad or nearly as bad as Disney is in that, but knows that he needs to add atleast one innovative thing to it.

The thing is tho, when you know so much of what the PT added is just garbage until the clone wars cartoon repaired it, you're effectively just saying is Lucas' job is to give other writers a framework for which they can then spend their labor improving. It's like concept art, except the concept art is the finished movie.

I'm once again struck by the notion that Star Wars is just not a normal franchise. It's too big, it's fans too devout and excessive that nothing normal can come out of it. It's like a giant snake that eats itself at the same pace that it grows.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
They fight on the Clone-making planet and Obi-Wan falls into the machine that was used to speed up the ageing of the Clone Troopers. The machine overloads and Vader presumes Obi-Wan dies.

Obi-wan survives but is severely weakened and aged (cue Alec Guinness deepfake)

And then Vader tries to clone him with the material left over in the machine and OOPSIE DAISY suddenly Joruus C'Boath is back just in time for the Ashoka show to have him team up with Thrawn.