• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
Doctors have identified previously unrecognized characteristic of the vaping-related respiratory illness that has been emerging in clusters across the U.S. in recent months. Within the lungs of these patients are large immune cells containing numerous oily droplets, called lipid-laden macrophages.

"While it is too soon to be sure, these lipid-laden macrophages may turn out to be useful to confirm or rule out this disease," said the study's senior author Scott Aberegg, M.D., a critical care pulmonologist at U of U Health. "They may also be helpful in understanding what is causing this illness," he added.

Source

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking that most likely means from PG/VG...
"PG and VG are not oils, and can't cause any of the medical issues — like lipoid pneumonia — that inhaling actual oils can. "

hrmm...i guess they'll have to recheck that.

Lipoid pneumonia is a rare condition that occurs when fat particles enter the lungs.

anyone who's ever touched vegetable glycerin, you can't tell me that lumpy gooey oily substance doesn't seem fatty to you.
and propylene glycol? oh cool, we vaping antifreeze now?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"PG and VG are not oils, and can't cause any of the medical issues — like lipoid pneumonia — that inhaling actual oils can. "

anyone who's ever touched vegetable glycerin, you can't tell me that lumpy gooey oily substance doesn't seem fatty to you.
Either they're wrong about the lack of side effects, or these people are vaping something else they shouldn't be. The latter seems more probable given the relative rarity of the symptoms but if it turns out to be the former that seems like a megaton requiring way more regulation.

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately vaping has become such a catchall phrase that people will interpret this article as applying to all vaping, even though you're not going to find lipids in the vast majority of things you'd vape, especially not ecigs.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are used all the time as sublingual carriers of medications. Which isn't to say that we should be inhaling them but calling it antifreeze is pretty misleading.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
prop glyc is literally refered to as a non-toxic human and dog safe antifreeze

I mean fair enough but you also find it in the pharmacy section of grocery stores where ppl are presumably using it for making oral tinctures and stuff (so one of its main applications is to use it internally). That's all I'm saying.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, reading up on a few more studies, and there may be something to it. There were a few cases in 2012 attributed to VG, and one in 2016. Sure there are plenty more.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are used all the time as sublingual carriers of medications. Which isn't to say that we should be inhaling them but calling it antifreeze is pretty misleading.
PG is also used extensively to create the fog in fog machines. Wonder if stagehands ever had any issues lol

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get my kid to give up vaping, but he's 19 and convinced the risks are minimal. I hope they nail down everything surrounding this illness soon.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I had a cousin who used to vape a lot. He would take a hit of it every few minutes. He would go through a bottle of fluid that was supposed to be a month's supply in a week. He eventually got to the point where he had constant nose bleeds when he used the vaper. He finally stopped using it and went back to cigarettes.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I had a cousin who used to vape a lot. He would take a hit of it every few minutes. He would go through a bottle of fluid that was supposed to be a month's supply in a week. He eventually got to the point where he had constant nose bleeds when he used the vaper. He finally stopped using it and went back to cigarettes.

Thats insane. Addiction is crazy strong, as you'd think that would be enough to get him to quit.

kamakazi5

Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting. It sounds similar to the way atherosclerosis develops in terms of the fat-laden macrophages.

Dec 16, 2017
It's criminal that people talk about vaping being safer than smoking when real world results show that smoking takes years longer to kill someone. It's a world wide experiment and the results are starting to come in.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that people see vaping as safe and then don't use it properly. The vaping pen needs to be cleaned regularly so there is no tar buildup on the coil. Then people use WAY too high levels of nicotine with it, dangerously high levels, especially teens and college age kids. And because they feel it is safe, people go overboard with how often they use it so no wonder they have health problems. Overall, vaping is probably safer than cigarettes when used in moderation but people aren't using it in moderation at all, so people seriously addicted are going to end up worse then they would have been on cigarettes.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Ah cool, hopefully they change the tech and solve it. Once weed is legalized vaping is my preferred method by far. You can gauge your highness and adjust easily, no surprises with edibles. No cleanup, lots of hits per cartridge.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can understand why people go back to cigs: better the devil you know, than the devil you don't...
I won't lie, I'm tempted.

Oct 27, 2017
Vaping has been around for over a decade with little to no adverse side effects being reported or found in thousands of scientific studies, but a handful of young people in one particular area who are vaping one particular product comedown with a sudden onset illness (i.e., not brought upon by prolonged exposure to vaping) and Era wants people to go back to cigarettes, which is verifiably the cause of 500,000 deaths a year. I thought y'all were supposed to be smart, but I guess that all goes out the window when you consider the horror of "That guy at work smells like blueberries all the time!" and "Yeah, he might feel a million times better than when he was smoking cigarettes, but he looks like a fucking dork lol."

Unreal.

Edit: Adding my responses here because people aren't interested in reading the rest of the thread,

I'm sure smoking was around for a while before the downsides became apparent. Like c'mon. A decade is nothing. It took my dad literally 70 years as a full time smoker for it to actually eventually catch up with him. Folk are dying now from this who have been vaping for just months or a few years. It's worth being concerned about it and understanding it better.
These are not cases of people dying from prolonged exposure to vaping. These are people coming down with a severe illness from a harmful substance found in one particular type of product. It is not indicative of a hazard inherent to vaping.

I am not against the precautions being taken regarding this recent string of cases, nor am I opposed to the FDA actually giving a shit and testing products that go on sale, but I am against people here ludicrously painting all vapers as spiraling towards their death and unbelievably talking about people going back to cigarettes. It's complete ignorance that they're happy to buy into because vaping is for nerds or whatever dumb prejudice they have.

This is a terribly illogical comment. Did you pause to consider how long smoking was around before the dangers were fully known? 10 years is absolutely nothing. And no one wants anyone to "go back to cigarettes", come on now.
Man, I can understand why people go back to cigs: better the devil you know, than the devil you don't...

It's right here, in this very thread. This is what these poorly framed articles of an illness which has been linked to a particular chemical in a particular strain of products (i.e., not inherently related to vaping nor caused by prolonged use of vape products) is causing people to think. This is people going back to cigarettes because of bullshit boogieman headlines, and the people with vaping prejudices because 'it looks dumb' are applauding them.

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not going to be the PG and VG given that they've been used in vape for over a decade and these deaths are springing up overnight.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
water is an industrial coolant, but when you say "oh cool, we drinking coolant now?" when talking about drinking water then you're an alarmist.
industrial coolant in the lungs is also bad. maybe those things don't belong in the lungs. dihydrogen monoxide in the lungs can cause illness in small amounts and kill in large ones. but never mind water vapor, i did not know that vape liquid was made of a chemical with many industrial uses and applications, but not necessarily recreationally in the lungs.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
What about the cases pointed towards VG?
That there may be a link between vaping it and lipoid pneumonia. Like I said earlier, there are only a few cases that I managed to find reported in places such as the BMJ. All of them were from pre 2019.

Edit: sorry, the case report says "suggestive of lipoid pneumonia".

"Since the bronchoscopy and high-volume lavage was unyielding, a video-assisted thoracoscopicsurgical biopsy was done later and was suggestive of lipoid pneumonia. The only source of lipid was the vegetable glycerine found in e-cigarette (EC)"

Last edited:

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
It's not going to be the PG and VG given that they've been used in vape for over a decade and these deaths are springing up overnight.

I know I'm just one person, but vaping a little every day for a month straight has given me some of these symptoms on a minor level. So I think the fact there's this sudden mass reporting of illness is telling as to what may be going wrong. What's changed in the production and how can we know exactly if it's Schedule 1?

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I believe this mainly applies to vaper's who go beyond the flavoured oils and start treading into nicotine, cbd, thc oils etc. , right?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Vaping has been around for over a decade with little to no adverse side effects being reported or found in thousands of scientific studies, but a handful of young people in one particular area who are vaping one particular product comedown with a sudden onset illness (i.e., not brought upon by prolonged exposure to vaping) and Era wants people to go back to cigarettes, which is verifiably the cause of 500,000 deaths a year. I thought y'all were supposed to be smart, but I guess that all goes out the window when you consider the horror of "That guy at work smells like blueberries all the time!" and "Yeah, he might feel a million times better than when he was smoking cigarettes, but he looks like a fucking dork lol."

Unreal.
I'm sure smoking was around for a while before the downsides became apparent. Like c'mon. A decade is nothing. It took my dad literally 70 years as a full time smoker for it to actually eventually catch up with him. Folk are dying now from this who have been vaping for just months or a few years. It's worth being concerned about it and understanding it better.

Oct 27, 2017
These are not cases of people dying from prolonged exposure to vaping. These are people coming down with a severe illness from a harmful substance found in one particular type of product. It is not indicative of a hazard inherent to vaping.

I am not against the precautions being taken regarding this recent string of cases, nor am I opposed to the FDA actually giving a shit and testing products that go on sale, but I am against people here ludicrously painting all vapers as spiraling towards their death and unbelievably talking about people going back to cigarettes. It's complete ignorance that they're happy to buy into because vaping is for nerds or whatever dumb prejudice they have.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm 100% for research and regulations when it comes to vaping. However, we should not magnify outliers. I smoked for a long time, then vaped, and now only vape 6-8 times a year a little when drinking.

Based off everything I've read (and it's a lot) and personal experience, I still believe vaping is SIGNIFICANTLY more healthy than smoking. I would highly recommend anyone smoking to switch to vape without hesitation.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is gonna turn out to be due to some contaminants being in the juice, at least that's my thought. Way too many people vape for it to have only affected people now.

Or maybe inhaling vaporized anything regularly is bad... who would have thought that? !

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Unreal.
This is a terribly illogical comment. Did you pause to consider how long smoking was around before the dangers were fully known? 10 years is absolutely nothing. And no one wants anyone to "go back to cigarettes", come on now.

Oct 27, 2017

It's right here, in this very thread. This is what these poorly framed articles of an illness which has been linked to a particular chemical in a particular strain of products (i.e., not inherently related to vaping nor caused by prolonged use of vape products) is causing people to think. This is people going back to cigarettes because of bullshit boogieman headlines, and the people with vaping prejudices because 'it looks dumb' are applauding them.