• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Also, the "time to complete" is a game changer for me as someone who works full time and is a dad to an extremely energetic 18 month old. The amount of time I've started something on a game in my precious free time that I think will take me no time at all, only to be nowhere near done with it 45 mins later is ridiculous.

Yeah, that is a game changer. Sometimes it's getting late and you need to go to bed, but you think you're close to the end of a level/encounter/etc. so you push on and end up having to choose between doing several more sections while exhausted or just putting it on standby for next time because it's been another 30+ minutes before you realized it.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
I like it. Looks very sleek and importantly fast to navigate. Would be nice if we could have subfolders to store 'Activities', 'Trophies' and anything else neatly organized so that way we don't have an entire row of mixed cards.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Looks great. A little disappointed they didn't show the store or trophy updates, but that'll naturally come later on.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
It looks pretty, but they didn't mention folders, did they? And I don't think I saw any folder icons... I really like the ability to organize into folders like we eventually got on PS4. I hope that is in there!

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Suspend your games, plural.

8-D92-E4-B5-C570-4908-BBAB-DAA80-D60713-F.jpg

Well that's that.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I think it's quite unrealistic to expect that both companies invent the same feature with the exact same idea simultaneously.

It was never a focus, unlike at Microsoft.

What they could have done is taking existing feature ideas and bring them to PlayStation like the super convenient "Looking for Group" feature or being able to snap achievement progression as overlaying front of your game (yes you can do something similar here but it doesn't look like that you can only get the small achievement as overlay, just the big help windows), but they didn't even do that, so if they aren't even doing that, then I'm specially not expecting them to invent a similar feature at the same time.
I mean, it's not an outlandish idea though. It feel like it would be one of the first benefits you'd think of when thinking of how to use this new hardware.

I wonder if the PS5's SSD only being 825GB has anything to do with it. Maybe they didn't want to consume that much data for game state caching when they only had 825GB to work with.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's extremely simplistic, which is what I love. Overly complex and bloated UIs are completely unnecessary. While it will remain to be seen how third parties will utilize a lot of these features, I'm still pretty happy with it overall
yeah definately, especially given how someof these things feel like the next gen versions of many dropped /poorly supported Xbox One Os features.
But I suppose if you buy a PS5 for Sony games only, these features should be welll supported there.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan at all of the main menu.

IZr0Ekb.jpg

It looks quite unstructured and with too much noise. The top row with the icons is too small in favor of presenting a wallpaper that doesn't really add anything to the usability and the "Play" button moves to the lower left corner for no apparent reason out of communication with the selected game. Why would you want to place your selected game and th option to play it at different corners of the screen?! The grid structure of the page seems chaotic and the eyes get lost in the main menu without a clear protagonist to guide the gaze: it is not the selected game (because it remains in the upper left corner at a ridiculous small size), no It is the Play button that is at the bottom left with a transparent background losing itself with the background image ... I imagine it is the wallpaper, which basically does not contribute anything to the usability of the system. Also, play time stats, trophies and whatever adds to the overall noise of it.

Quite disappointing I should say.
Yeah, I liked some of the UX improvements on their own but especially the home screek does some things that don't scream being done for usability sake. I hope those tiles can also be altered with regards to size. I do think the 'play' being in the lower left is particularly bizarre, it should be within or attached the the tile initiating the context card. I also hope there are some ways they've improved folders or made 'smart folders' that detect what is within. I do like media split from games, that will get people to their mission for that session faster.
I also love the in-game stuff with help and tips (there are some interesting stats out there about how many use walkthroughs to help them complete a game) and the PiP in general is great for this. I do have issue with the potential number of elements in carousel for the control centre but this shouldn't be a big problem if there is a way to either adjust number or hard lock to a smaller number so as to not make this section a chore to scroll for desired tile.
Overall I really like it - they are addressing some genuine UX wants and needs but there are still a few questions.

Last edited:

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
First impression is that Xbox is on another level design language wise.

Hopefully the simplicity of the PS5 leads to consistent performance down the road.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
UI overall looks great. I'm not confident that third parties will support the Activities feature in any meaningful way (and I'm not sure players will use it in any meaningful way either), but it's kind of a cool thing I guess. UI is clean and readable, which is all that matters

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how many devs support the activities feature. Sony will surely mandate it for their own devs, but it just seems like extra work for 3rd party.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony really elevating their game yet again. UI is looking nice. Well done job.

Joo

May 25, 2018
People keep saying this, how quick resume is just as fast as cold booting a game. That is not the point and that is not the point of quick resume. Quick resume is to quickly jump back in the game you were playing, at the exact same spot you left the game. How many games actually let you save a game and lets you load the game up and start at exactly that spot? Not many I reckon. Most game have checkpoint style save states.
Yeah that's actually a good point. I don't think something like that was the focus here, as the possibility to jump to different parts of any game straight from the UI probably takes a lot of resources already.

It would be nice of course and could still be there as one of the cards for example, like continue from where you left off, but it's very much a possibility that you can't have everything.

Just as an observation. When Destruction All-Stars is started in the video, there's no indication that Sackboy (which is running at that moment) is actually closed in any way, so to me it looks like it's just suspended. Of course this is just speculation, but the rest mode does say suspend your GAMES. Not game.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
So to go back to the home screen it's going to take a minimum of two button presses now? One press of the PS button will bring up the in-game cards, then you'll need to press the Home icon to go back to the actual home screen?

Unless you can press and hold the PS button to go straight home?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It looks pretty, but they didn't mention folders, did they? And I don't think I saw any folder icons... I really like the ability to organize into folders like we eventually got on PS4. I hope that is in there!

Pinning activity cards seems better than folders to me.

Overall looks great, doesn't look like a mess of sub menus like some UIs.

Looking forward to seeing more

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this, how quick resume is just as fast as cold booting a game. That is not the point and that is not the point of quick resume. Quick resume is to quickly jump back in the game you were playing, at the exact same spot you left the game. How many games actually let you save a game and lets you load the game up and start at exactly that spot? Not many I reckon. Most game have checkpoint style save states.

Being able to suspend multiple games--as you can with this--should offer the same functionality. We will obviously have to see it in action, but if suspension works like it does with the PS4, then it should be the equivalent.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look like it is overcome with ads if you stay away from the store and "explore" icons. That's good.

The pre-installed system icons still clash with the game icons. That continues to be annoying. Game icons could be bigger.

Really curious what the deal with the media tab is. Wonder if it will support local playback of media or DLNA out of the box.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You guys, lol. "Charge controllers, download updates, and suspend your games" isn't a feature reveal, it's just proper english. Not to say that the PS5 doesn't have something similar to quick resume, but this is not evidence, it's just someone who paid attention in high school

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit looks pretty slick... probably a lot of features I won't even care to use, but still slick.