• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
That is one of the worst boxarts I've ever seen and I'm not even lying either

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Hideous. Like holy shit how can it be so damn ugly. They really want people to buy the steelbook edition or what?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
No Sir, don't like it.

Let's hope the limited edition in Europe gets the same art as the japanese one (and that i'm able to get that one). I understand they wanted to highlight this "trinity" of the houses ... but man, having one Lord upside down is just so freaking bad looking.

Make the Lords go from bottom to top, pointing the weapons upwards and have the Byleth's be on top. Bam, same scenery, better execution.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
It's so disappointing when Nintendo has had a hot streak with their switch boxarts
And heroes has had so many good artists, why do they have to do this for their next mainline game after the series has gained some ground in popularity
Not that the artist is incapable of producing good work, she has before, but this is not it. Not at all

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people still hate Kozaki now. The poor guy even retweeted the annoucement.

First it was PS2, now its worse than a PSP game?
He's not even working on this game or at least isn't the character designer for this game. Don't know if this artwork was made by him

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trash. Pretty sure the franchise peaked with Awakening.

Fire-Emblem-Awakening-Box-Art.jpg
First and only game I played.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people still hate Kozaki now. The poor guy even retweeted the annoucement.

I don't really understand what the design of the cover has to do with the Three Houses main artist. It's likely that some higher ups gave the ok for that, after all.

And while i will never bash Kozaki, simply because of his No More Heroes designs (especially Shinobu), some of his FE designs were strange. Any armor in Awakening for example.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
The artist they hired is not as great as Kozaki and Hidari.

It seems her composition style doesn't have a different range than "character portrait" position.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all gonna look like fools when Claude's crit animation has him flip through the air.

This is just a canon representation.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's not even working on this game or at least isn't the character designer for this game. Don't know if this artwork was made by him
I know that, im simply referring to how people wanted Kozaki to get booted off the franchise after Fates. Its disappointing to have this amateur art design after Kozaki and Hidari.

Edit: Honestly, its a hit n miss with Chinatsu Kurahana. Edelgard is my favorite design of the bunch so far, but then you have Dimitri who has shitty looking hair, and just looks generic.

Last edited:

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
Nooooooooo! It's terrible! I really like the name "风花雪月"!
Guess I will buy Australian version this time, hope the box art is better than this.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I think the box art is decent. Upside-down character is kinda silly, but not that bad of an issue.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The perspective seems kinda weird. Edelgard is reaching behind her, and Dimitri is reaching forwards, but Claude is ahead of (seemingly?) both of them. So I'm not sure the weapons colliding even makes sense unless Claude's weapon is arched backwards severely or some weird other thing.

Edit: Maybe only the 2d projection of the weapons onto the boxart 'face' are supposed to cross ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god is it actually that plain....

the gamecube controller is similarly plain with an outline of the smash logo. both are going for some kind of minimalism but the steelbook doesn't go far enough. the finished product looks like they forgot the rest of the design.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone think that the guy at the top is actually a bat? If so, then the box art isn't so bad.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Gets a not good from me. Surely you have better ways to represent having all those characters on the box without flipping one upside down. Unless this is high level foreshadowing and they'll be the traitor or something like that? Maybe im giving too much credit and it's just plain all bad.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Somebody photoshop the dude rightside-up and see if it looks better. The collector edition boxart looks great, so at least there is that.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, this is a giant step down from Echoes. I thought an artist needs to come up with multiple drafts before deciding which is the best? No sane person would think a character in reverse position being a good idea.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe that is a Nintendo first party game cover... It's just awful!

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Yep, they're going to fight.

Everything they've shown this year has been a red flag for this game. I'm worried it'll be bad. Not "Fire Emblem Fates" bad - which just means a bad story with unbalanced gameplay. Series worst bad is what I'm worrying about.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
That's really bad box-art. Which is a shame, because I feel like Nintendo has been doing really well in this area for a pretty good while now.

Me not liking the mc designs don't help either. Hopefully Europe will use a different one. But I might get the collectors edition anyway.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
What's this?? The N64 could've made that boxart!

It's okay, design is weird, but the art is great

Last edited: