• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Can anyone explain reason, faith, authority?

Reason and Faith are basically weapon proficiency for Dark and White Magic respectively.
Similar to unlocking higher ranks of weapon proficiency to equip higher level axes, spears etc., you need higher ranks of reason and faith to unlock unit specific black and white magic spells.

Authority is the proficiency for battalions. Higher Authority levels grant passive skills that boost your Gambits, it also affects which battalions you can equip.
You get some really good battalions from quests later that can only be equipped if you're at Authority level B or higher, so don't neglect it!

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Seminars seem pretty low-value compared to exploring or fighting. I wonder if they would work better as an explore activity that costs multiple action points.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
kinda wanna go full mounted archer now in my new playthrough with golden deer and see how it goes

well that plus a healer I guess

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I've played a lot now and still don;t 100% get the motivation/lectures.

If I individually tutor a student and their motivation goes down to the lowest does this mean they will receive less goal experience from the lecture that week? Is there a down side to the individual tutoring other than having to raise their motivation again?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh just wait until everyone's finally taken the time to play all three (four, technically) routes and the inevitable bloodbath that is "debating" who Best Girl is. Incoming OT 10.

I feel like there's gonna be a lot of discourse on what the "best" route is. Like there's no true route but that won't stop people from insisting their favorite is.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
That feeling will have to wait, as Edelgard's route is going to be my Three Houses "dessert", aka my recruit every possible character, final, personal canon, run.
Current first run will be BE Church. Since i knew what will happen on that route from the spoiler thread, i made arrangements to not focus on the two characters too much. ^^

I haven't been spoiled but I have kinda pieced together what is coming (I think). I have not made my decision yet but I am close to that point. I think I know what I am going to choose but until I see what unfolds nothing has been decided...

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
So uh.

I've been training Byleth to learn faith skills, and I have a heal and nosferatu, but I can't use them.

Is there a place to buy Grimoires or something?

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know a rough time estimate for lunatic mode?
The game gets way too easy later on, which is honestly the only thing I dislike about the game right now.

Not going to do a different house on this difficulty, so I hope lunatic comes quickly.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
For someone who hasn't played a FE game, what difficulty level should they chose?

Normal is pretty easy. Hard is hard, but playing on casual, together with the time rewind mechanic, makes it very manageable and you can allow yourself a lot of dumb stuff and risky moves that way, that would otherwise be cruelly punished.
I'm honestly struggling through hard, but apart from the mock battle haven't really "lost" a unit that I wasn't able to save through Divine Pulse. I still play on Casual, and it really takes the edge off (which can be good or bad, depending on the type of player you are).

The first two battles on hard are very hard because you have limited options and low level units, but it gets less unfair later in the game, when you have more options for everything, so don't let that put you off.
If you get super stuck on a battle, you can lower the difficulty as well.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
On normal, can you just complete maps indefinitely as long as you don't exit the battle screen? I was surprised that it kept populating maps. I decided to move on because the only reason I was doing them was to clear the list.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
gonna avoid reading this thread bc spoilers, but just had a question for y'all.

does the whole game take place at this monastery? I know there's some kind of a time skip based on trailers, but all the youtube reviews say you spend a lot of time at the school but don't really specify how much.

It's not really a dealbreaker for me, but I am curious. I am less interested in the life sim aspect of the game as opposed to the actual battling (although I'm sure this would take place after the monastery as well)

Just wondering what % of the game people would say takes place at the monastery, if not all of it

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this occurred to me back in December with Edelgard basically hinting at it

That she doesn't want to do this alone and feels like she'll lose herself if someone isn't there for her.

Made me sad about what's going to happen to her in the other routes ;___;

Lol, I'm not going to be emotionally ready for the other routes. I'm going to do the Blue Lions next, and I'm sure I'll feel the same way about Dimitri once I get to the Golden Deer.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the start of chapter 4 and I haven't managed to recruit anyone yet, how many can you realistically get before the cut off?

I've been trying to get Petra because I want another myrmadon and I was thinking I need another mage as well

I recruited everyone, so it's definitely possible to do before the timeskip, but it takes some concerted effort.

The easiest way is to raise Support, getting someone to B-rank support makes the weapon proficiency requirements down in the E-E+ range. Every Explore, eat with who you want to recruit, use Choir Practice to raise support, cook with the person, they're all actions that raise support. If you run around the Monastery manually rather than fast travel, you'll find lost items which you can return to people for Support points, and you can give people as many gifts as you have on hand (a sidequest unlocks vendors that sells gifts). You can also recruit a target for the month, and set them as an Adjutant to Byleth when you have Professor Level C or higher

Keep an eye on your menu, you'll get a red mark next to supports when one is available, then you can fast travel somewhere and next you open the map you'll see a speech bubble. Head there, and you can have a support conversation, and then you can go right back in to building up support points without needing to wait on them jumping in and visiting you during the week.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Wow, so the retreat option lets you restart the battle and retain all gained XP!!!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
gonna avoid reading this thread bc spoilers, but just had a question for y'all.

does the whole game take place at this monastery? I know there's some kind of a time skip based on trailers, but all the youtube reviews say you spend a lot of time at the school but don't really specify how much.

It's not really a dealbreaker for me, but I am curious. I am less interested in the life sim aspect of the game as opposed to the actual battling (although I'm sure this would take place after the monastery as well)

Just wondering what % of the game people would say takes place at the monastery, if not all of it
Spoilers for post time-skip
The monastery is still a hub but you can automate or skip almost all of it to focus on battles if you wish

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Is there an easy way to tell what classes can use magic. My Byleth has learned heal, but it is not usable, I'm assuming because his class does not allow magic (I think he is a Myrmidon). I can't find anywhere on the UI where it indicates if a class can use magic or not. Am I missing something or is it somewhere I am just not seeing?

edit: I know logically he needs to be in a Magical class, I just wish it was indicated somewhere. The 3DS games would list all equipable weapons/magic types for each class and I can't find anything similar here.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an easy way to tell what classes can use magic. My Byleth has learned heal, but it is not usable, I'm assuming because his class does not allow magic (I think he is a Myrmidon). I can't find anywhere on the UI where it indicates if a class can use magic or not. Am I missing something or is it somewhere I am just not seeing?

The class screen on the class change menu should have a sentence about "This class is able to use magic" ... i think it's in blue font color.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Post time skip for Black Eagle spoilers:

So I'm backing up Edie and I at first thought I would be just killing former students and teachers. However in the battle I'm currently in battle vs Claude. While I totally killed Leonie, Ignatz and Hilda SUPER hard. When I defeated Lysithea I was able to Persuade her over to my side instead of killing her. I'm curious if anything like that happened to anybody else?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Did chapter 8 and the Seteth paralogue last night.

Chapter 8 was good old FE gameplay. So far, the maps have been creative enough to make the lack of variety in objectives less of a negative. This one felt like something out of Radiant Dawn. Definitely missing the ability to rescue when it comes to preventing green units from doing stupid shit lol.

For the paralogue I brought in my flying Petra and made short work of the map. Lots of nice items between the two maps.

So they just straight up confirm they're father and daughter, wow. Not sure Byleth has earned that kind of trust from Seteth yet, and especially not for him to give over the legendary weapons. But I guess you have to get them somehow. They're definitely the saints. Really dig the lore and mystery surrounding these two.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Ch 12. But you can automate from the start of the game. Still you benefit more from micro managment, keeping your students motivation up week after week so they can go through the ranks faster.
oh so pretty far in then

thanks

i'm fine with the life sim stuff, I enjoy doing it in Persona, but I am def more interested in the battling

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
interesting. how far into the game does the time skip happen?
Chapter 12.
Post time skip for Black Eagle spoilers:

So I'm backing up Edie and I at first thought I would be just killing former students and teachers. However in the battle I'm currently in battle vs Claude. While I totally killed Leonie, Ignatz and Hilda SUPER hard. When I defeated Lysithea I was able to Persuade her over to my side instead of killing her. I'm curious if anything like that happened to anybody else?
The exact same thing happened to me, and I'm now bearing that in mind.
I was musing earlier whether it's down to some being recruitable by 'killing' them with Byleth, and some aren't.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Shit I was neglecting Faculty Training my sword skills and now my Byleth is 22/23 and can't even attempt the Swordmaster exam because his Sword is like C+

Status
Not open for further replies.