• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So what do you guys do early in the game when you have shielded enemies and no ATB at the moment and no magic? lol im running around waiting for atb to fill up so I can finally use something to break the shield.

Also shock troopers are the worst. Can't really figure them out. Just a whole lot of dodging.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you guys do early in the game when you have shielded enemies and no ATB at the moment and no magic? lol im running around waiting for atb to fill up so I can finally use something to break the shield.

Also shock troopers are the worst. Can't really figure them out. Just a whole lot of dodging.
Dodge and try to hit them from behind

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth to grind in Ch14 coliseum to finish all battle Intel, or should I go ahead and continue the game for an easier grinding experience later?

I grinder it on my 1st play through, and it wasn't too bad - took a few hours I think to max out my magic material (several of which I had no AP on). While opening up all the fights was a nice challenge to do - I was about level 37 at that point, what you get I didn't find that useful for the end of the story.
Fighting Bahamas was a great challenge, but I barely used his summon - similar to Leviathan. Didn't find them that helpful, and often times by the time you can trigger their final attack you're pretty close to killing whatever thing you're fighting on your own. Did make the end fights go by a little quicker though

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone feel like the standard boss theme (those who fight further) is quite underused in the remake? I feel like some bosses straight up don't play it, as Abzu, which is supposed to based on the original. I feel like after airbuster, the next time I hear it is through (optional) VR boss fights, and then all the way to near the last chapter with the hundred gunner boss. And it's not like the remake has little amount of boss fights. There are quite a number of them, i expect a few of them to use the theme, but nope, none of them do. Unless I misremembered, then someone correct me.
Its a good think cause I dont like the remake's version of it.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've used a grenade before idk why I forgot about it at some point. Still can't use them sometimes when ATB is down I think.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone feel like the standard boss theme (those who fight further) is quite underused in the remake? I feel like some bosses straight up don't play it, as Abzu, which is supposed to based on the original. I feel like after airbuster, the next time I hear it is through (optional) VR boss fights, and then all the way to near the last chapter with the hundred gunner boss. And it's not like the remake has little amount of boss fights. There are quite a number of them, i expect a few of them to use the theme, but nope, none of them do. Unless I misremembered, then someone correct me.

It wasn't that frequently used in the original for Midgar iirc. Most bosses didn't have it, and for some I think the newer themes fit quite a bit better. Underuse is probably ok since that theme is going to be very prominent still for however many games they end up making.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People are going to laugh but I didn't realize I could link Magnify to Cure. That's brilliant. I'm also kicking myself for not getting more Magnify. I only have one and it's easily one of the most valuable materia in my collection.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to laugh but I didn't realize I could link Magnify to Cure. That's brilliant. I'm also kicking myself for not getting more Magnify. I only have one and it's easily one of the most valuable materia in my collection.

You can only get one, and they definitely balanced the game around that this time around.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
When this comes out on PC I'm hoping we can just mod TWFF into near every fight.

Not that the soundtrack is bad but it's too cool a theme.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I realized I aimed for the wrong Aerith dress. Need to replay chapter 8 and 9 a fourth time.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
When Barret learns Maximum Fury...👀

Barret using Maximum Fury with haste slapped on him...👀👀👀

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Okay Square,we are not in 1997 anymore...the retry battle for an 1 hour long fight should'nt have you restart that whole hour,jesus christ...the last 2 chapter are infuriating because of this in this game...yeah awesome fights and all but checkpoint me at the last part for crying out loud.And this is still really bad at letting you know who is doing what and the lock on system is bad as well...taking a break before I have to redo all of this and die after 1 hour and half and having to redo all of that over...

I had 3 options when I died...did I choose the wrong one or could I have restarted
At the Sephiroth part ?

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay Square,we are not in 1994 anymore...the retry battle for an 1 hour long fight should'nt have you restart that whole hour,jesus christ...the last 2 chapter are infuriating because of this in this game...yeah awesome fights and all but checkpoint me at the last part for crying out loud.And this is still really bad at letting you know who is doing what and the lock on system is bad as well...taking a break before I have to redo all of this and die after 1 hour and half and having to redo all of that over.

Retry last fight should you put on the last boss who killed you.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Aha! It kind of makes sense. That is a crazy strong one and it really makes for some hard decisions.
You think instant full healing of all party members is good, wait until you try to Blizzaga three enemies standing right next to each other, you'll go mental!

(easiest way to clear fights in the arenas too!)

I love Magnify, and can not wait until a sequel to get more and have them be continually broken as hell!

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Trying and failing time and time again to do the 'Monsters of Legend' battle in the Shinra Simulator.

It's not Behemoth that I have trouble with, it is those darned Tonberry(s) that gives me the most grief...

Any advice?

p.s. Is there only one 'revive' materia in the whole game?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Trying and failing time and time again to do the 'Monsters of Legend' battle in the Shinra Simulator.

It's not Behemoth that I have trouble with, it is those darned Tonberry(s) that gives me the most grief...

Any advice?

Nah, you can get more, I heard in the item shops, but I don't know when.

I know when you beat the game and go back to Chapter 4, the first one you got will show back up there!

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019

Any advice?

Warding and/or Subversion materia protect against instant death. Whoever has those materias equipped should also have revive. You could also have magnify combined with revive to revive your party when they are wiped.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

Any advice?

Keep distance with barret, this keeps aggro on him.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017

Any advice?

The trick to tonberry is to control whoever it is targeting and get close enough that it can't stab you and far away enough that it can't use ranged attacks either. If you do it correctly it will get into a pressured state by itself and generally not do anything to your party.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017

Any advice?

You can buy revive materia.

Also if you block with cloud in punisher mode it makes him immune to chefs knife.

Play as cloud, block do a combi block combo block etc. Eady peasy.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
o8SnC7V.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Currently stuck on the Pro pull ups. FML.

Also, anyone hear anything about a potential patch to address the texture issues yet? I heard some scuttlebutt around launch, but nothing really since.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Nah, you can get more, I heard in the item shops, but I don't know when.

I know when you beat the game and go back to Chapter 4, the first one you got will show back up there!
Wallmarket and c5 slums sell it.
Warding and/or Subversion materia protect against instant death. Whoever has those materias equipped should also have revive. You could also have magnify combined with revive to revive your party when they are wiped.
Keep distance with barret, this keeps aggro on him.
The trick to tonberry is to control whoever it is targeting and get close enough that it can't stab you and far away enough that it can't use ranged attacks either. If you do it correctly it will get into a pressured state by itself and generally not do anything to your party.
You can buy revive materia.

Also if you block with cloud in punisher mode it makes him immune to chefs knife.

Play as cloud, block do a combi block combo block etc. Eady peasy.

Gosh, I have never popped back on here to see six notifications awaiting me before!

Thank you for your swift and motivational worthy replies guys ... 🙂

Currently stuck on the Pro pull ups. FML.

Believe me, it is easier if you turn the volume down or off altogether.

The 'click, click, click' of your buttons is all you need to listen to...

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced there's no other way to win that thing. It took me a while but whew. The thing is, Jules' own skill often seems proportionate to my own. Jules got higher and higher scores the better I was doing. At one point we tied 45-45, which meant I lost. :|
It was infuriating. The one I finally won had me over Jules at 45-44.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a hard mode that just had tougher enemies rather than removing game mechanics from you, dont think I'd ever play it as it is

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
ch15 was a nice chapter with some interesting new enemy types and many fun enemy group combinations. Very simple area but interesting enough to navigate. The boss was just ok this time around. The movement transitions were ok, and laser gimmick was interesting, but the boss didn't have any threatening moves. I've also started to think bosses generally don't have enough hp even for a first playthrough on normal. I feel that there was a missed opportunity to experiment with transitioning from location to location during a fight. I thought it may be a good test bed for how to implement weapons to their proper scale. It was still a fun chapter but it could have been more memorable.

I really enjoyed that this chapter was 80% story progression and character interaction. The Grand tour bit was a good way to feed through how shinra may be viewed differently when compared to the characters on the opposite side. It's still mostly setting things up so not too much to comment on yet, but it was paced very well. Hopefully the payoff comes through as well. Boss was just ok here too. Status effects added some flavor to it but overall not threatening at all.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm on ch14 of my hard run so I decided to try pull-ups again... it did not go well at first. I really struggled to even beat Amateur league. I was ready to throw in the towel and return later, but I decided to at least win Amateur for the magic up materia. It took me a while and I figured Pro would be hopeless, but to my surprise it 'only' took me 10 or so tries to beat Pro. It's like I needed Amateur mode to put me back into the flow and then I was ready for Pro.

Turning the music and speech off helped, but what did even more is not focusing on the pattern too much. At first I tried to remember it but because of muscle memory this happens automatically as you slowly progress through the first pull-ups. Then when I had the repeated presses coming up, I had to teach myself to not push the next button too fast. It was a real process of becoming one with the minigame. When I beat it I got the magic 44 and Jules only 41. He always got 44 before so I lucked out there.

But not joking when I say this was the hardest thing of the entire hard mode run so far.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I am going to ask again because there was confusion,probably on my part,when I asked this before and got answered but before I edited my question....I am going to spoiler this because its Ch.18...

I fought all the way to Sephiroth,almost beat him on my firs try,on normal,but died...I had 3 choices to restart and the one I took brought me all the way back to the beginning of the almost 1 hour trek/fighting to reach Sephiroth...I was told to choose retry before this battle will restart me at Sephiroth...can someone confirm this.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I am going to ask again because there was confusion,probably on my part,when I asked this before and got answered but before I edited my question....I am going to spoiler this because its Ch.18...

I fought all the way to Sephiroth,almost beat him on my firs try,on normal,but died...I had 3 choices to restart and the one I took brought me all the way back to the beginning of the almost 1 hour trek/fighting to reach Sephiroth...I was told to choose retry before this battle will restart me at Sephiroth...can someone confirm this.
Yeah always pick the first option (retry before this battle) to restart right before your most recent battle. The other ones will put you further back.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018

Your spoiler tag is correct