• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I think even with the flaws the remake has I don't think anyone can deny the highs are phenomenal and show excellent potential for the next installment.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I'm a pretty big FF7 fan, not to the point where the original is gospel, but big enough where every part of that game is etched in to the folds of my brain. I loved all the minor and major changes (including the ending) as well as the new music. This is also the best action combat that Square Enix has ever designed, everything before this has always been so scuff or awkward to control. I hope future KH titles go off of this game and not KH3 when designing combat.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think even with the flaws the remake has I don't think anyone can deny the highs are phenomenal and show excellent potential for the next installment.

This is pretty much where I'm at. The game can be pretty inconsistent and it has a lot of flaws, but the highs are super high and it's borderline lunacy that it exists at all. Thankfully the combat is mostly carrying it for me in the weaker parts. Just made it to the Shinra Building and I can't wait to see how they pull all those moments off.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I just got to side quest bonanza in Chapter... 14 I think? Right before you go to Shinra HQ.

I really appreciate the extra lore and how well integrated the sidequests are into the world, but man, I WANT TO SEE THE MOMENTS I LOVE!!! I really don't mind it in the long run, though.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I just got to side quest bonanza in Chapter... 14 I think? Right before you go to Shinra HQ.

I really appreciate the extra lore and how well integrated the sidequests are into the world, but man, I WANT TO SEE THE MOMENTS I LOVE!!! I really don't mind it in the long run, though.
We're at the same place.
You can actually finish them all in about an hour probably, super easy and they all start or finish in the same locations.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Just reached
Chapter 17
How much longer do I have? I was hoping to beat it by the end of the day today.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The slums are so bright and cheery. What is the deal?

it's the biggest thing bothering me. The whole area is supposed to be under the literal and figurative oppressive shadow of the "pizza" of the upper plate, yet why do I feel like Cloud and co. should be wearing sunscreen?

Am I alone? Is my TV poorly calibrated? Were the slums depicted in the original game not supposed to be under a skyless endless night?

1430091658169712934.png

hmmm... in retrospect, how the heck was Aerith's house in the original all bright and sun shiny? 🤔

how did they secure that prime real estate when the rest of Midgar is a shithole?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still going back and forth on implementation of the summons -- they're super strong, and they look great. Their ATB-ordered attacks are cool, but the fights are so busy that sometimes (especially against bosses) it's a bit hard to fully appreciate them.

Their ultimates are sweet, and I appreciate the cutaway so we can really bask in the power, but, given that they're cutting away anyway, I wish they'd added maybe 3-5 seconds of super sweet effects and animations. They seem just a tiny bit too brief. Oh well, maybe Bahamut Zero will still take a minute to blast the earth from space in part 3....

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Chapter 12.
That was intense. RIP Biggs & Jessie. Wasn't expecting that. That was really sad.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still going back and forth on implementation of the summons -- they're super strong, and they look great. Their ATB-ordered attacks are cool, but the fights are so busy that sometimes (especially against bosses) it's a bit hard to fully appreciate them.

Their ultimates are sweet, and I appreciate the cutaway so we can really bask in the power, but, given that they're cutting away anyway, I wish they'd added maybe 3-5 seconds of super sweet effects and animations. They seem just a tiny bit too brief. Oh well, maybe Bahamut Zero will still take a minute to blast the earth from space in part 3....
For real? I feel like the combat cuts away too often generally, especially in boss battles, I'd hate if they were longer and broke up the tension.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

it's the biggest thing bothering me. The whole area is supposed to be under the literal and figurative oppressive shadow of the "pizza" of the upper plate, yet why do I feel like Cloud and co. should be wearing sunscreen?

Am I alone? Is my TV poorly calibrated? Were the slums depicted in the original game not supposed to be under a skyless endless night?

1430091658169712934.png

hmmm... in retrospect, how the heck was Aerith's house in the original all bright and sun shiny? 🤔

how did they secure that prime real estate when the rest of Midgar is a shithole?
There are sun lamps underneath the plate.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019

Exactly.. some people here keep repeating that we are saying that the game is perfect and that's not the truth.

I know the game have a few texture issues and some details that could be better in the visual department.. but the highs in this game are so over the top that in the end you should only focus on them.

A few bad textures won't change the fact that this is the best action/turn based RPG we have got in so many years.. the Square magic is all over this game and you can tell how much detail and effort the team did for all the small details you find along the way.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope future KH titles go off of this game and not KH3 when designing combat.

Holy. God no. Kh3's combat is excellent. It just needed the proper bosses/enemy design for it which it does now with re:Mind. I'd absolutely despite it looking more like ff7's besides the ability to switch party members.

Hateno

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished. Those last 90 minutes... Phew!! Think I'm gonna need a lie down...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this wastewater pump "puzzle" is bullshit. Someone explain how you ACTUALLY clear this stupid thing, because the instructions are clearly lying.

Oct 27, 2017
For real? I feel like the combat cuts away too often generally, especially in boss battles, I'd hate if they were longer and broke up the tension.

100%

I'm not actually asking for the minute-plus summon animations of the original. But you see summon ultimates rarely enough in this, and often at climactic moments, that I would like just another couple seconds to really see and feel the impact. Of course, I'm old, and grew up in an analog world, so over-busy quick moving screens don't always do it for me.

Note I'm using menu commands for ATB, not hot-buttons, and I really like the fast-slow-fast rhythm of the battles. Maybe they could have a short/long option for the animations?

The boss cutaways that have annoyed me are the ones IMMEDIATELY after I stagger and am about to go to town because I've reached some pre-set damage threshold where the boss is going to change its form/behavior.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I never played the original, but I L O V E this game. It sucked me in since the beginning - the worldbuilding and characters are intriguing, the story is well paced, and I don't want this to end.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, this wastewater pump "puzzle" is bullshit. Someone explain how you ACTUALLY clear this stupid thing, because the instructions are clearly lying.
Which chapter?

100%

I'm not actually asking for the minute-plus summon animations of the original. But you see summon ultimates rarely enough in this, and often at climactic moments, that I would like just another couple seconds to really see and feel the impact. Of course, I'm old, and grew up in an analog world, so over-busy quick moving screens don't always do it for me.

Note I'm using menu commands for ATB, not hot-buttons, and I really like the fast-slow-fast rhythm of the battles. Maybe they could have a short/long option for the animations?

Haha fair enough, I understand. I guess I'm just a kido and didn't play the og game on release, I don't mind turnbased but I'll take fast action over it any day sorry! :P

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
There's so many things I love about the remake, even some of the new parts, but there's also a lot of eyeroll moments such as Roche, and Jessie being a bit too obsessed with Cloud imo. Was she like that in the OG ff7? I really don't remember her that way.

Also not digging the whole ghosts thingy. Feels like it gets in the way of the actual story, and then they just keep shrugging them off.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Any way to fix
the background in Chapter 15 from looking like a big .jpeg
?

It's really sucking me out of the experience.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017

1430091658169712934.png

It's explained later in the game. There are sun lamps which act as artificial lighting in the day time.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm a pretty big FF7 fan, not to the point where the original is gospel, but big enough where every part of that game is etched in to the folds of my brain. I loved all the minor and major changes (including the ending) as well as the new music. This is also the best action combat that Square Enix has ever designed, everything before this has always been so scuff or awkward to control. I hope future KH titles go off of this game and not KH3 when designing combat.
Nah KH combat is fine, the bosses needs to be tailored to it and the dlc nailed it.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
You don't need to hold on to the left trigger. Press up and let go. Have Tifa release the pressure and then press down with Aerith when the needle hits the red zone. It's all about timing (be quick)

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
There are sun lamps underneath the plate.
It's explained later in the game. There are sun lamps which act as artificial lighting in the day time.

... ... ... 😐

I just can't even...
Did the developers not understand the original game's tone and atmosphere or was this a design decision for a different reason?

I mean the symbolism in the OG game of the rich living on high and literally forcing the dregs of society and the poor to live in filth and shadow was palpable. It was so good. Why change it?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Was sort of chatting in the spoilers thread, but I finished the game earlier. This is probably the most mixed I've felt on a game in recent memory.

Loved the characters/overall story with some mixed reservations towards the ending, it's beautiful while also occasionally having some super ugly textures that.... And I kind of hate this comparison since it reeks of hyperbole, but literally looks like ps2 textures at times.

Voice acting for the main cast is ace imo, and I love it a lot.

I imagine combat will be divisive? I ranged from hating it to finding it serviceable depending on the encounter. At this point, I assume it just isn't for me, and I'm glad others enjoy the Mashup. I was excited for it go full in on action rpg, and def felt a little let down by it. At chapter 15, I got annoyed enough by some flying enemies that I turned it down to easy, and had an okay time afterwards as I could mostly just get away with slicing and braver-ING my way through.

The game has a lot of huuuge highs with also a good amount of flaws personally. Having not finished *that* many ff games (4,5,7,15, and now ff7R), it's probably my favorite of the bunch tho

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Exactly.. some people here keep repeating that we are saying that the game is perfect and that's not the truth.

I know the game have a few texture issues and some details that could be better in the visual department.. but the highs in this game are so over the top that in the end you should only focus on them.

A few bad textures won't change the fact that this is the best action/turn based RPG we have got in so many years.. the Square magic is all over this game and you can tell how much detail and effort the team did for all the small details you find along the way.

I wish textures were my only issue with the game to be honest. I like it very much on the whole, but it's an 8/10 for me all things considered. I still prefer the original, and will definitely replay it again some day, but I also like this Remake enough that should they make a new-gen version of it before Part 2 drops, I'll happily play through it again.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
... ... ... 😐

I just can't even...
Did the developers not understand the original game's tone and atmosphere or was this a design decision for a different reason?

I mean the symbolism in the OG game of the rich living on high and literally forcing the dregs of society and the poor to live in filth and shadow was palpable. It was so good. Why change it?
I honestly don't think the inclusion of lamps does anything to change that ultimately. They need to keep the population alive and healthy to a degree so they can be worked and exploited, it actually makes more sense this way imo. We don't need heavy metaphors to sell it.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

I'm 100% on this being a way better Midgar part than the og, obviously there are some things that were told a bit better in og but overall this is way better imo (still mixed about the final boss fights tho).

If the whole project is of this quality then it's gonna be the best FF for me, that's why I'm worried for them to fuck it up, because sometimes they get close to do so but at the same time they have the potential to make the best game, it shows.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the main game and watching the game now. Amazing game enjoyed every minute of it and the fights in it. I heard some complain about the ending or what not but I see nothing wrong here and I enjoyed the final act as a whole as well. Then again I never played the orginal past post wall district so maybe that factors into it.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019

1430091658169712934.png

how did they secure that prime real estate when the rest of Midgar is a shiole?

I don't mind the sun light but I do think that the slum areas do show the game at its worst. I know they are meant to be slums but I feel the general art direction isn't that great in these areas. Feels very drag and drop in places when it comes to asset use rather than something crafted. Like they have put together a rough sketch but left it at that rather than go back over it and tidy it up and craft something. (Some poor souls who's worked hard on that is probably reading this) That may be down to time constraints and development goals but it Does stick out like a sore thumb in what is a great game.

whilst playing the game I get the feeling that fans might ask for another remake a few generations down the line. It feels like it should be a definite thing but there are some things that need work on.

Minor nitpicks though it has to be said.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope future KH titles go off of this game and not KH3 when designing combat.
I 100% love this combat but FUCKING NO. This should be the standard for future FF games. KH3 combat was the shit in it's own right. Remember these two games play differently in that one is a true action rpg and the other is basically I wanna call it ATB based.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Why is Leslie in the game? I don't see the point. There are enough characters you could have fleshed out.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
... ... ... 😐

I just can't even...

The developers do understand it, but because you now spend much more time in Midgar, they wanted to let you feel the sense of a daily routine in the slums' life. I think it do transmit better the sense of these people just going on and on with their struggle. Also iirc in the OG it was never explicitly said that lower Midgar was always in the dark, that was just a general assumption.

Finished the game. I was expecting a much worse ending after all the reactions. There are parts that I didn't like but overall happy with it.

Man I am so scared of seeing this ending, I am only at Ch. 8 and dredging an inevitable Kingdom Hearts-esque ending...

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
Finished the game. I was expecting a much worse ending after all the reactions. There are parts that I didn't like but overall happy with it.

Whole game was a 9.5/10

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that i love the combat so much. I've never seen a turn based system being translated in an action one so masterfully.

I don't even care about the cheap mmorpg-ish sidequests, it's sooo fun to fight.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
So i'm about to finish Chapter 9, i heard so much praise here that I could only get disappointed, wasn't a fan of the music of the city (I'm vague for no spoiler)..... but after like 2 hours it's just grown on me and now it fit super well.... and after a pretty average start.... you were all right, this chapter is amazing !

I just want to say that i love the combat so much. I've never seen a turn based system being translated in an action one so masterfully.

I don't even care about the cheap mmorpg-ish sidequests, it's sooo fun to fight.

Bosses and side-content ennemies really make the combat shine to another level, at first I found customization a little gimmicky, but then it click, it's get magical !