• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so spoiler from whenever Cloud meets Aerith, kind of went crazy:

Did Cloud just had a "flashforward" and saw Aerith death?

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips.

I would, for example, roll evade to the side of a gun blast and expect to not get hit but alas, would still see numbers pop up so I was a bit confused. The only time I did successfully evade was when I was a pretty decent distance away anyway and just using it to be safe.

I think I'm just so conditioned by Souls like I said that when I see a circle button do evasive rolls I go into fucking Bloodborne mode and think I'm full Action.
Need to change your mindset going into this game. FFVIIR is first and foremost an RPG, an action game second. You are expected to take damage fairly often, unless maybe you main Tifa who can usually dodge around quickly, but even then when you are attacking, you're bound to get hit back while enemy is not being staggered. So you want to find ways to mitigate it, with better gear for defense/mdefense, use barrier, etc. But big hits, usually they have some tell. Need to pay good attention to what the enemy is doing rather than just staying clear from it and dodging around.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
TBH I'm not holding out much hope for a huge visual upgrade on day 1. I expect some of the really glaring LOD issues will be resolved but the patchy texturework is what it is for now. Hopefully in a year we will see a better version on PC/XBX

WRT dodging and stuff, it isn't like Bayonetta where its quick reflexes. Dodging is almost like you are selecting 'dodge' from the drop down menu well ahead of an attack when you see its tell. The way it makes you commit to actions is a carefully arrived at design decision I think, which is why I'm not super in favour of having attack cancelling and things like that which could upset this balance.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
Don't tell me the exact number but is there a lot of side quests? I don't care how tedious they are I'm doing them all.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The only sharing thing I encountered outside of the entire final chapter being blocked was it says you can't upload / it prevents uploading the material to twitter (I didn't want to upload anything, I just wanted to view back some footage because I thought someone's hair didn't pop in but turns out that's just the character)

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
You can circumnavigate it obviously by taking the video you record off the PS4 and uploading via a computer.

I took one of chapter 6 boss, wish I didn't make so many mistakes but it was pretty hype while doing the fighting

Want to get a perfect run against it on hard mode.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Make sure you don't miss the materia in the collapsed freeway when you're doing the hand robot stuff. it's possible the best materia in the game and you can't even go back to get it.

and there's only 1 of it.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you don't miss the materia in the collapsed freeway when you're doing the hand robot stuff. it's possible the best materia in the game and you can't even go back to get it.

and there's only 1 of it.
What was it? I got it but forgot what it was.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Magnify. it's the "all" materia in this game. You can slot it connected to curing, status or elemental magic to target all enemies or allies. it's really a game changer for the harder fights.

Yeah I'd reload a save it I would miss this one.

I tend to combine it with Barrier against bosses. But I also use it with Fire against human groups. It feels great casting a Firaga that nukes a group.

paradox85

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Okay, I finished it. I liked the game very much, though some of the additions to the story were a bit silly.

Ehh.. I didn't really "get" what happened in the last two hours or so. So is Zack alive or what? In some another dimension? Very curious how the story will continue from this. Guess we'll find out in 2025 when Remake Part II releases. ;P

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
At times this is a 10/10 for me. I'm absolutely blown away by the graphics, the presentation of it all, the boss battles and the fantastic music.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Austin talk about the game on Waypoint Radio has me extremely excited to dive in after work on Friday. Can't wait for this.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
About 20 hours in I still don't understand how to use Tifa properly, how to power her combos and what to use to stagger or increase the stagger percentage. Also don't know when to stop charging Aerith's Tempest... Can anyone help please?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
At times this is a 10/10 for me. I'm absolutely blown away by the graphics, the presentation of it all, the boss battles and the fantastic music.

So far Im at 8/10 myself, and I think it will stay around it. Good graphics, music, combat, bosses, some new additions are cool, some are bad, characters are worse written.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Is there day 1 patch coming? My physical copy is arriving today and wondering if I should wait until Friday to play it.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
About 20 hours in I still don't understand how to use Tifa properly, how to power her combos and what to use to stagger or increase the stagger percentage. Also don't know when to stop charging Aerith's Tempest... Can anyone help please?
Tempest has a visual key to when it's full. The circle triangle prompt has a ring that does around it and you unleash the attack when it's closed

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Just got to Aerith's House.
The amalgamation of music, visuals and meaning behind things to come, is for me this generation's TLOU giraffe scene. Texture issues aside, it's absolutely mind blowing.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that far into it - Tifa is about to give me a tour of the slums - but I am wondering if the game was made with the expectation that you've already played the original. Wouldn't it already be super confusing if you hadn't?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is there day 1 patch coming? My physical copy is arriving today and wondering if I should wait until Friday to play it.

We don't know.

I'm not that far into it - Tifa is about to give me a tour of the slums - but I am wondering if the game was made with the expectation that you've already played the original. Wouldn't it already be super confusing if you hadn't?

It doesn't. Feels different enough and not linked to the original so far (Ch.8 I think)

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
So far Im at 8/10 myself, and I think it will stay around it. Good graphics, music, combat, bosses, some new additions are cool, some are bad, characters are worse written.
My negatives so far are some parts that used to be 10 minutes in the original are now padded out to a few hours which can feel like it's dragging a little, and the side-quests are pretty uninspired. I've really liked the characters and even some of the story changes (although still early on). I love how much they fleshed the Avalanche team out. Also, the darts mini-game is amazing lol, I ended up getting the high score.

Also, I think the combat is great but sometimes I do feel like it could be a bit more refined, it can get chaotic and the camera gets annoying in tight spaces. Your team mates also need gambits or something, because they don't really do anything but attack unless you tell them to do something else.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the characters are written worse imo. The main squad interactions and banter is A+. Its good to have the real cloud back.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I got the shipping notification from Best Buy today.

I pre-ordered Death Stranding, Animal Crossing and FF7 in one order back in September before my GCU expired, so they all came with a 20% discount.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif