• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It doesn't suggest it anymore than the original ending did.

The stamp packaging is the biggest hint that it's not the same timeline. There's been nothing contradicting it as a different timeline since that.
Obviosuly Zack comes from a different timeline, and we see that in the origianl ending, but I think the "new" ending heavily heavily implies he's in the real timeline. It doesn't offer a sinle clue that it's not the main timeline.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
You should check out this Reddit post on it. The church has inverted colors on the backside which is a pretty big tell along with the Stamp packaging from the first ending.

I've discussed the texture in the church above, and I think it's nothing personally.

Like we know Cloud's door was a very low res texture, so basing this theory on the colours of another teture compared to a CG cutscene seems pretty weak.

Visceir

Oct 26, 2017
Think there is just one converged timeline. Otherwise it'd just make the story unneccesarely convoluted and if they just wanted to give a 'what if' scenario for Zack it'd be better done in a separate game/DLC rather than weaving it into the main story. Zack will obviously play a part in the main story and the sooner it'll happen the better.

There won't be a 2nd Cloud. Can see it being similar to Aerith in FFVIIRemake where Cloud will gradually obtain the missing info/memoriesfrom the other self and be entirely filled in eventually.

Also think Cloud will have to die at the end of these games to finally get rid of Sephiroth -- considering he is pretty much Sephiroth's horcrux.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Obviosuly Zack comes from a different timeline, and we see that in the origianl ending, but I think the "new" ending heavily heavily implies he's in the real timeline. It doesn't offer a sinle clue that it's not the main timeline.

I don't see how the new ending overrides the prior ending. Just seems like it's what happens later on. Zack is still in an alternate timeline. Aerith mentioning that her stomach is in knots at the same time that Zack is approaching the church, yet the church being filled with Sector 8 residents tells us that he's in an alt. timeline that is a little behind Cloud and gang's timeline. No other reason to have Aerith deliberately say that and then show us a bunch of Sector 8 NPCs in the church with Aerith not in it. Why else would they be in there if not to find refuge from the initial bombing?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how the new ending overrides the prior ending. Just seems like it's what happens later on. Zack is still in an alternate timeline. Aerith mentioning that her stomach is in knots at the same time that Zack is approaching the church, yet the church being filled with Sector 8 residents tells us that he's in an alt. timeline that is a little behind Cloud and gang's timeline. No other reason to have Aerith deliberately say that and then show us a bunch of Sector 8 NPCs in the church with Aerith not in it. Why else would they be in there if not to find refuge from the initial bombing?
Unless Zack got transported into the future his timeline should be 2 months behind the other timeline

Oct 8, 2019
I've discussed the texture in the church above, and I think it's nothing personally.

Like we know Cloud's door was a very low res texture, so basing this theory on the colours of another teture compared to a CG cutscene seems pretty weak.

Why would a bad texture cause the colors to change to such a massive degree?

You look at the door, and the door is pretty close in color meaning a bad texture isnt going to wildly change the color.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Why would a bad texture cause the colors to change to such a massive degree?

You look at the door, and the door is pretty close in color meaning a bad texture isnt going to wildly change the color.

No I just mean that low res texture in the church probably wasn't given as much thought as you are giving it now.

The Stamp thing was pretty overt, and I think this is clutching at straws. But that's just my take, of course.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Whats the meaning of the different stamp logo in the OG then?
I think he came from that timeline (along with the Stamp bag) but is now in the "main" timeline.

I'm not convinced that they aren't just reusing those models tbh, but that's fair enough. I think they would have tipped their hand more if they wanted us to see that. Again with the Stamp thing in the OG ending, it's not like they are hiding the timeline stuff. So I think it's interesting that the "new" ending doesn't have any overt link to that. That's why I think it's the main timeline.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if they're going to cut red / significantly reduce his role in the next game. it's funny that they took the time to create yuffie from scratch for a dlc but still haven't designed red's combat.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
i wonder if they're going to cut red / significantly reduce his role in the next game. it's funny that they took the time to create yuffie from scratch for a dlc but still haven't designed red's combat.
I was thinking the same, and that maybe they might have a slot for "Support" character that Red and Cait Sith slot into, and they can't be contolled like normal party members.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Deliberately showing us the different Stamp bag just to throw that detail away makes zero sense to me. They wouldn't do the scene of them walking past each other if they were in the same timeline.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure they're already started on Red. It didn't make sense for Part 1 and it's not like he was in the DLC besides the CG. Theres no reason to think they'd reduce his role or that they haven't started.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Zack died in late September. FF7 starts in December. It doesn't take 2 months to walk to Midgar from where he died.

How long did it take Cloud to arrive in Midgar? Or rather, how much time passed between Zack's death and Cloud's arrival

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the same, and that maybe they might have a slot for "Support" character that Red and Cait Sith slot into, and they can't be contolled like normal party members.
yeah, i could def see something like this. it would be a shame though, square themselves had decent quadruped action combat all the way back in kh2.
I'm sure they're already started on Red. It didn't make sense for Part 1 and it's not like he was in the DLC besides the CG. Theres no reason to think they'd reduce his role or that they haven't started.
idk, when they were in the planning stages for the ps5 version i just think it's interesting they decided to go with yuffie and a new dlc episode rather than fleshing out red in the base game. i think we'll see.

Oct 8, 2019

There's a difference between a few hours of the main game, and 20 dollar DLC, The Yuffie DLC cost a third of the original game, so I dont see it as any kind of sign.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i could def see something like this. it would be a shame though, square themselves had decent quadruped action combat all the way back in kh2.

idk, when they were in the planning stages for the ps5 version i just think it's interesting they decided to go with yuffie and a new dlc episode rather than fleshing out red in the base game. i think we'll see.

Fleshing out Reds gameplay in the existing Part 1 story would have required creating entirely new combat scenarios and sections around the HQ if they actually wanted to make use of Red in interesting ways. Otherwise it'd be a wasted addition for Intergrade, which isn't worth it when those final dungeons are already too long and sort of boring. Yuffie at least made sense since she was already near Midgar in the original game so you can justify a full DLC around her. More gameplay in a dull part of the game doesn't really sell a DLC as well.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
How long did it take Cloud to arrive in Midgar? Or rather, how much time passed between Zack's death and Cloud's arrival
We don't know. Cloud's mind was seriously messed up and he could barely walk. Tifa found him wandering around at the Sector 7 train station some time between Zack's death and December acting like other Sephiorth "clones." We do know it didn't take the party long to reach the area of Zack's death from Midgar. Zack dragging Cloud shouldn't have taken more than a day to get to Midgar.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
We don't know. Cloud's mind was seriously messed up and he could barely walk. Tifa found him wandering around at the Sector 7 train station some time between Zack's death and December acting like other Sephiorth "clones." We do know it didn't take the party long to reach the area of Zack's death from Midgar. Zack dragging Cloud shouldn't have taken more than a day to get to Midgar.

What if in that timeline they just didn't head directly back to Midgar, though? Could also just be time shenanigans going on. Just doesn't make sense to focus on that alternate version of Stamp unless Zack was in a different timeline. Not to mention he still has the sword.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy when you think much how much happens in one night in this game.

Like in one night, they go through the collapsed expressway, Wall Market (colosssum, dancing, etc), the sewers, train graveyard, the plate falling, returning to Elmyra and the underground lab.

I mean, damn. I like to think they really slept in afterward and start Ch. 14 around like 2 p.m., lol.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if in that timeline they just didn't head directly back to Midgar, though? Could also just be time shenanigans going on. Just doesn't make sense to focus on that alternate version of Stamp unless Zack was in a different timeline. Not to mention he still has the sword.
could be a way to say that was a alternative timeline zack and cloud, like everything inside that ghost ball got transported

but idk what to conclude to be honest, its too open for interpretation right now

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
No one wants to talk about the great turtle songs? The heavy metal version cracked me up.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just the stamp packet that is different in the Zack scene, Midgar in the distance after the ghosts vanish looks noticeably different to how our version looks too.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Looks the same to me but I could be missing something

Found a quick pic that highlights the main difference
kTRg9l9.jpg

In Zacks timeline, the reactors are noticeably different in shape, employing more of a angular square-ish casing instead of the usual rounded design with their numbers on show. It's the only place you see this too, in all other CGI they look as they do on the right.

edit: also this
0c5PQmp.jpg

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
kTRg9l9.jpg

In Zacks timeline, the reactors are noticeably different in shape, employing more of a angular square-ish casing instead of the usual rounded design with their numbers on show. It's the only place you see this too, in all other CGI they look as they do on the right.

0c5PQmp.jpg
I genuinely can't see what you see in the images so so don't think I'd define that as noticeably myself. These aren't photos of real places. If there's a discrepancy there is really chalk it up to an artist oversight rather than a deliberate clue.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely can't see what you see in the images so so don't think I'd define that as noticeably myself.

Well I tried to explain best I can, nothing more to say there.

If there's a discrepancy there is really chalk it up to an artist oversight rather than a deliberate clue.
Normally I'd agree, but seeing it in the exact same scene where they very obviously shine a spotlight on something else that is same but different gives me pause.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
kTRg9l9.jpg

0c5PQmp.jpg
I feel like the lack of number on the reactor may not be anything but there could be something there about the reactor wall, that does seem to be different from any iteration of Midgar shown before as far as I can tell. Interesting

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
If there was a Stamp at the start of the OG, what would you think he would look like? Like the one in the Zack scene or the one in the Remake?
Depending on what you believe, it may involve different time lines or not.
If you believed a hypothetical Stamp in the OG would look like the one in the Zack scene, then it means Remake has split its timeline from the OG timeline somewhere between the end of CC and the start of OG.
Now if Stamp in the OG was same as the Remake, it would mean it's only a natural progression for Shinra to modify Stamp for whatever reason, regardless of whether Remake exists or not.
What I mean is for Stamp to look the way he does at the start of Remake, it doesn't necessarily need to be a timeline change. Not everyone will understand when that Zack scene took place; by showing a different Stamp, they could simply signify at least that it's a different point in time of the same timeline, not necessarily different timelines.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
kTRg9l9.jpg

0c5PQmp.jpg
R6IHCdQ.jpg

Notice anything missing?

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
R6IHCdQ.jpg

Notice anything missing?
heh? What happened here? I always thought that's Sector 6, but it's actually Sector 4. Why is there a whole plate missing? Btw, the picture above from Lunatic, is not Reactor 5, it's actually Reactor 3. Reactor 5 would be the one left of Reactor 4 (where the two big front lights are).

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
heh? What happened here? I always thought that's Sector 6, but it's actually Sector 4. Why is there a whole plate missing? Btw, the picture above from Lunatic, is not Reactor 5, it's actually Reactor 3. Reactor 5 would be the one left of Reactor 4 (where the two big front lights are).
I'm guessing they originally planned to have a Sector 4 plate on a separate layer so they could remove it so you could see under it, but they never made the Sector 4 plate asset.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy when you think much how much happens in one night in this game.

Like in one night, they go through the collapsed expressway, Wall Market (colosssum, dancing, etc), the sewers, train graveyard, the plate falling, returning to Elmyra and the underground lab.

I mean, damn. I like to think they really slept in afterward and start Ch. 14 around like 2 p.m., lol.
The game takes place in winter so the nights are long

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Tifa found Cloud a few days after Zack died.
Then spent months with The Barret's Avalanche.

Months? They didn't even know his name when they met on the bombing run and they definitely didn't spend months together after that

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Months? They didn't even know his name when they met on the bombing run and they definitely didn't spend months together after that
zack died in late september of 0007, cloud and avalanche destroys the reactor with avalanche in december 9,
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Final Fantasy VII timeline

Final Fantasy VII timeline comprises a timeline of events in the Final Fantasy VII series, with official and approximate dates given depending on sources. Notes Dates in the world of Final Fantasy VII are stylized as either "[ μ ] – εγλ" or "[ ν ] – εγλ", in the calendar format of the world. The...

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
zack died in late september of 0007, cloud and avalanche destroys the reactor with avalanche in december 9,
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Final Fantasy VII timeline

Final Fantasy VII timeline comprises a timeline of events in the Final Fantasy VII series, with official and approximate dates given depending on sources. Notes Dates in the world of Final Fantasy VII are stylized as either "[ μ ] – εγλ" or "[ ν ] – εγλ", in the calendar format of the world. The...

Cloud definitely spent time in Midgar without knowing Avalanche. Like I said, they didn't even know his name at the time of the bombing run lol

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the DLC. That was quite fun as expected. Music really sold it for me.

My favorite part of the whole thing was seeing the crew hitchhiking. That was pretty much just how I imagined it ❤

I'm not a fan of them including the Compilation villains but it was fun to see Nero get clowned on. If this is gonna be a recurring thing in the series I hope it takes up as little time as impossible and ends with the Comp villains swiftly getting their asses kicked.

I have no idea what they're going for with alt-Zack but I hope they're careful with how they're integrating him in whatever capacity they are. It could be fine or it could be annoying and cheap.