• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Whoa; pleasantly surprised at this news! Now that this is fixed and considering the QoL improvements, I may have to actually buy this and finally play through FF VII after all these years...

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an idiot, could you explain to me where can I send this ticket?

EDIT: Nevermind I just figured it out, had to choose the e-mail option.

It wold be so easy to jst tweet out its coming. That would've appease us. Certainly would've worked on me.

You already figured this out, but for anyone who wants to join in and contact them, click here.

Here's a response you can use (or make your own if you like):
Today a patch released to fix the music bug for both the new versions of FFVII for Switch and Xbox One. However, we have received no information regarding fixing the same bug for platforms like PS4, which have been suffering from the same bug since the original launch in 2015. It's been well documented by sites like Kotaku.com, etc. It's quite anti-consumer that the same patch wasn't applied to all the systems so I and many others would like to be made aware of when it's going to be available for PS4. It's simply unfair that Square Enix persists in this trend of abandoning 'old' versions of games when there is a new version/port to promote on other platforms. Furthermore the PS4 version of FFIX also suffers from the same music bug, which to this day has not been patched.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah that's great news. I don't even have a switch but I'm just glad people will be able to play the game normally and actually hear the full music tracks!

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I finally made good on my promise to myself to buy FFVII for the Switch if that music bug got fixed, and man this game just feels like home.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Kotaku write an article roasting Square Enix for this bug fairly recently? That might have been what got their attention.

Arkain

Oct 27, 2017
In the reactor flashback when Cloud chucks Sephiroth after being stabbed it plays the field music toward the end of the scene instead of looping the cutscene music.

Like I said in my previous post, I compared that scene on Steam (from a save I loaded today) with some footage from PSX, and the music is different. More detail:
once Cloud takes off his helmet and it's revealed that he was just a normal trooper, the music silence ends and a later part of The Theme of Final Fantasy VII starts playing; once he chases Sephiroth to the screen where he throws him into the reactor, the Reactor Theme starts playing.
So, that hasn't been fixed on PC I think, but I honestly didn't realise there was something wrong with the scenes, the music matched up quite well.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
When Square cancels the N64 version of FF7 and puts it on PlayStation but 20 years later Nintendo has the definitive version of the game and Sony doesn't:

giphy.gif

Wait, what is Bill doing with his tongue and why?

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I contacted support with my own minor variation of the copy-pasta. Hope we get something from this.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I am completely confused with what has been going on with Square lately as far as their communication, because I'd assume they have no plans to fix this bug on PS4/PC based on their silence since they apparently don't care about those people since they got their money years ago. There's no reason why they wouldn't say they were also working on the issue on the other platforms since the issue originated on those platforms, but this is the Square Enix that decides to put no real money and care into half of the classics they port to new platforms that are either buggy or poorly ported for the new platforms. They're effectively doing the same thing with the DQXI port to Switch with a number of updates/features that PS4 customers have been asking for, but refuse to communicate whether they're getting anything. It's baffling.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I am completely confused with what has been going on with Square lately as far as their communication, because I'd assume they have no plans to fix this bug on PS4/PC based on their silence since they apparently don't care about those people since they got their money years ago. There's no reason why they wouldn't say they were also working on the issue on the other platforms since the issue originated on those platforms, but this is the Square Enix that decides to put no real money and care into half of the classics they port to new platforms that are either buggy or poorly ported for the new platforms. They're effectively doing the same thing with the DQXI port to Switch with a number of updates/features that PS4 customers have been asking for, but refuse to communicate whether they're getting anything. It's baffling.

I think it's safe to assume that the PS4 version of DQ 11 won't be getting any of the major updates, at least not anytime soon. In Square's eyes, DQ11 done. Now they're focused on developing and selling Dragon Quest 11:S. They rather have people buy a full price game than give away features for free or sell them as DLC for cheaper.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they go out of their way to remove something that was already in the game? I get FFVII not having (it never did) it but whats the excuse with IX that did? Because those who prefer using a keyboard would somehow struggle? Give the option at the very least.

I'm so upset at Square at their handling of these games. I demand a fix for the PS4 version I bought 4 years ago. I don't think I'm being entitled or unreasonable here.

They didn't technically "remove" it. They rebuilt the game from the ground up in Unity, and just never implemented it.

I agree though that it really needs to be added back in. The Memoria mod on PC adds back the analog movement (or a close approximation of it).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think it's safe to assume that the PS4 version of DQ 11 won't be getting any of the major updates, at least not anytime soon. In Square's eyes, DQ11 done. Now they're focused on developing and selling Dragon Quest 11:S. They rather have people buy a full price game than give away features for free or sell them as DLC for cheaper.

That and the Switch version of DQ11 is using a newer version of Unreal Engine. I mean, the Japanese PS4 fans were the ones who really got the short end of the stick since they don't have things that are in the international version.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That and the Switch version of DQ11 is using a newer version of Unreal Engine. I mean, the Japanese PS4 fans were the ones who really got the short end of the stick since they don't have things that are in the international version.

Yeah. The problem is they'd have to issue an update for the engine itself, which may require the... entire game to possibly be re-downloaded. I remember PS4's handling of updates is really weird, which is why sometimes the updates would be unusually large, despite the actual patching process only would be targeting specific files/folders. Has something to do with how the file structure is on the PS4 and how things are sectored off.

Given it's literally a later version of Unreal Engine 4 being used... I wouldn't be surprised if it would be the entire game redownloaded, and then some. Given the pricing of updates and stuff, it's probably not feasible to do so, so an entire new version would have to be sold, realistically.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Are you kidding? Even before the patch I would've gone with Switch (or PS4) but after patch its no contest: the Switch and X1 versions are not only better, they're the definitive editions. Us PS4 owners keep waiting to get upgraded to being definitive edition worthy... we'll see how that one works out.

I wasn't kidding, I'm genuinely curious. I've got a PlayStation Classic sitting here unopened and I don't know how that version of FFVII compares with other alternatives. I know there were complaints about some of the games on the PS Classic, but I don't remember anyone pointing out anything particularly wrong with FFVII on it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't kidding, I'm genuinely curious. I've got a PlayStation Classic sitting here unopened and I don't know how that version of FFVII compares with other alternatives. I know there were complaints about some of the games on the PS Classic, but I don't remember anyone pointing out anything particularly wrong with FFVII on it.
Watch this 10 minute video. It'll tell you everything there is to know about the differences between versions. Just remember this was done before today's update that fixed the music glitch on switch and XB1 and the screen going black for a second between CG cutscenes.

I promise you that by the end you'll know if you're fine with the PS1 game you already have or if you want to buy one of the new ports.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing through it with the patch. So far, the biggest issue, with the music restarting after battle is fixed, same with the pre-rendered cutscene issue.

But... I noticed after encountering the Turks for the first time in the Church, when the scene shifts back to the other angle while the theme is playing, the music stops playing. I believe that was a problem before as well.

Curious if any of the other issues are fixed or not (such as the Jenova reveal musc bug), but I'm guessing not...

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, it looks like the Switch version has that dumb filter for the backgrounds that make them look blurry, so the PS Classic version at least doesn't have that.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Is the game brighter with more popping colors post patch on Switch version or just my imagination? šŸ¤”

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hey, remember that annoying music bug, where the field music would restart again every time you finished a battle? Well that's gone now!

It will now carry on where it left off, letting you enjoy the full theme.

Given how many people said they wouldn't get the release because of this reason, I wonder if this will change their mind? :)

(If a patch came out for the other consoles that also fixes it, just let us know, but I personally can't check)

Summary of patch:
  • Music will now resume where it left off once a battle has concluded.
  • Transitions between cutscenes and gameplay no longer have a frame of black screen.
  • The flashback scene that played incorrect music now plays the correct music.

This is .... the most amazing news for me. Thank you so much and thanks everyone that described the issue and complained in the media. It worked !

I'm loving the Switch version of Final VII in handheld mode (even if the backgrounds are washed out). First time I take out the Switch from the cradle since 2017!

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I bought it upon hearing this news. I've never played it before and I'm looking forward to playing it on my switch now. I wanted the full experience with proper music. This is awesome.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Squeenix, fix ur shit on PS4 first. lol
I have a feeling they won't. I hope I'm wrong!

Most of the PS4 buyers already got it. So while it has a huge install base, it won't move a needle, unlike these new platforms, which are getting the game for the first time historically.

Jan 11, 2018
I have a feeling they won't. I hope I'm wrong!

Most of the PS4 buyers already got it. So while it has a huge install base, it won't move a needle, unlike these new platforms, which are getting the game for the first time historically.

It will however deter PS4 owners from buying other Square Enix products in the future. I don't know how a company can be this bad at PR.

Deleted member 20433

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My plan was to wait for IX to be patched, but now that this game has been fixed I'm not sure what to do. Never played VII..

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yup. Not buying any more of their titles new. Only used or deep discount for digital only stuff.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you could possibly even contemplate going back to the PS1 version of this game after playing with the 3x speed boost that the new ports have.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, after the patches, the rest of the stuff is nitpicky. The original PSone version is inferior due to the lack of QoL options in the recent versions.
I see. I'm really on board with getting the Switch version. I just wish they got rid of the blur in the backgrounds. I know the Steam version has mods to get rid of that but I'd rather play this on Switch.