• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this performance is not even nominated when in reality it should be winning everything.

not a single actor nominated on those award list won't be even able to pull this performance off not even in their dreams.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As incredible as that monologue is, I honestly think Dafoe's performance in this other monologue later in the movie is even better given the circumstances that he has to give it in (spoiler tagging the video because it's pretty spoilery):

But yeah, it's an absolute travesty Dafoe isn't getting award recognition for this. He was phenomenal.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Major film awards were created with the purpose of getting filmmakers to create certain films that the award givers like

Minor film awards were created for special achievement

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Adam Sandler was the only person giving DaFoe any competition this year and neither of them are seeing any nominations. A crime truly. That being said, Phoenix has been snubbed for awards for years now, it's a real shame that he's being awarded for one of his worst films.

Oct 29, 2017
Wholeheartedly agree that this is probably the performance of his career, and he deserves to be recognized for it.

My favorite movie of the year, I'd say.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
As incredible as that monologue is, I honestly think Dafoe's performance in this other monologue later in the movie is even better given the circumstances that he has to give it in (spoiler tagging the video because it's pretty spoilery):

But yeah, it's an absolute travesty Dafoe isn't getting award recognition for this. He was phenomenal.

yeah i couldnt do that

it makes me so uncomfortable even watching it

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Golden Globe and Oscars are basically who does more advertising (golden globes much more but oscars still)

Bafta hasn't even nominated a non white person in a year with Us and The Farewell

so yeah they are a joke

Oct 27, 2017
Horror and genre films in general tend to get ignored at awards shows. Toni Colette should have won more for Hereditary.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I just like to see which films are nominated so I can get a general idea on what critics think were good movies that year. I don't care who actually wins, it's basically the industry just patting themselves on the back and trying to sell more tickets/movies.

In 2020 with the internet they are less and less relevant. I don't think I really paid attention to awards shows since 1998 Oscars with Saving Private Ryan. I guess I was a big Spielberg fanboy in grade school and wanted him to win ha.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Banderas in Pain and Glory was better, and you're just going to have to come to terms with that

OP
OP
Gunslinger

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just like to see which films are nominated so I can get a general idea on what critics think were good movies that year. I don't care who actually wins, it's basically the industry just patting themselves on the back and trying to sell more tickets/movies.

In 2020 with the internet they are less and less relevant. I don't think I really paid attention to awards shows since 1998 Oscars with Saving Private Ryan. I guess I was a big Spielberg fanboy in grade school and wanted him to win ha.
Saving private Ryan losing bp is one of the biggest joke.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I love The Lighthouse but if you were expecting it to get any love at awards season you were fooling yourself.

Oscars are alright more than 50% of the time. Their choices may not always be the best but usually at least good (some obvious exceptions)

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
It's just so obvious what movies are only created to get these awards, and it makes it hard to get excited in who wins. There's always that one movie nominated that doesn't fit the mold, but it almost never wins.

Also, movies getting limited release at the end of December to just barely qualify in time is also lame. 1917 won the Golden Globe for Best Drama and that movie isn't even in wide release yet.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Best performance of the year (though I have yet to see Portrait of a Lady on Fire which also has some fine performances).

Portrait is great, easy top 5 of the year for me. Performances are stellar but I think the overall direction is clearly the movie's chief strength. Claire Mathon is operating on another level right now, she might the best DP in the world.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are; it's not different from the Game Awards, as in a group of closed friends gathering together to celebrate themselves and barely anyone else.

More than anything because:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Portrait is great, easy top 5 of the year for me. Performances are stellar but I think the overall direction is clearly the movie's chief strength. Claire Mathon is operating on another level right now, she might the best DP in the world.
She shot Atlantics too? What a year.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I just watched this yesterday and I'm in complete agreement. Dafoe was phenomenal in this as was Pattinson. A truly remarkable film.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
SizzlingLimpingErin-size_restricted.gif

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
You can't get too invested in them - I learned this especially after seeing the mediocre films that were nominated for Best Pic last year (with the exception of 2 or 3 that were legitimately good to great). Add to that, the Hollywood Reporter posts articles each year around Oscar season of anonymous Oscar voters' opinions, some of whom are honest about not watching a lot of the screeners they get and just going with whatever films they happened to see and enjoy during the year.

I found that the Critics Choice Award nominees resonated much more closely last year with the films and actors I thought deserved acclaim. At the end of the day, you have to remember that the Oscars are not only political, but subject to the mood of its members many of which have the same biases as general audiences.

And for what it's worth OP, Dafoe got a nomination last year for a film it looked like only a handful of people even saw to begin with.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people get all up in arms about this person or that film being snubbed. If you like the performance, that's great. I'm sure you want that person or film honored for the performance, but it shouldnt change your perception or enjoyment of the film.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they're pretty terrible. I remember reading about how some Oscar voters don't even watch animated films, and just choose whatever their kids like.

Plus you've got shit like a mediocre superhero film getting a Best Picture nomination, but movies like Hereditary or The Lighthouse getting snubbed...it's just not worth taking too seriously.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Saving private Ryan losing bp is one of the biggest joke.

That was over two decades ago. The Academy can improve itself, and has on multiple occasions.

Now granted, the Oscar's have lost any recent credibility they picked up with last year's ceremony. That's the first one I haven't watched since 2005.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The golden glove is like 80 journalists voting on movies. It's like metacritic with "no americans allowed" sign. Era movie of the year thread has a more serious selection process than that (slight hyperbole added for dramatic emphasis).
I can be a fun event to watch, and it can open up fun discussions about movies. But it's still mostly an event to help market movie, and I don't think there is any real reason to get upset about outcomes there.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
It's history repeating itself: last year, it was Toni Collette with 'Hereditary', and now it's Dafoe with 'The Lighthouse'. Just more nonsense from the academy. But I guess it's comforting knowing that these great actors want to give their best performances in genre films, not Oscar bait movies that are just designed for winning the prize, all because of their love for the craft.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
It's bad luck not to acknowledge the performance of a sea bird. These award shows gonna get the ancient mariner treatment.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's all a popularity contest and it's all very self serving. An acting award isn't really a confirmation that this person is the BEST actor that year

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I entered thinking that one shouldn't take these things serious at all but honestly I'm kinda sad that the lighthouse doesnt seem to be appreciated by the jury's like I hoped.