• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Handball have been an issue ever since VAR came into place, so not really.

Just look at PSG-Man U in the CL for exemple.
I agree that it has been an issue and I have seen some bad calls but calling what we saw today would have been the worst by far. I have in the recent past made posts specifically about how FIFA really needs to clarify what a handball is.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Because it has been used unsarcastically (typically coupled with the words "cheese eating surrendering monkeys") since 2003 by people who were butthurt that France dared opposed the mighty USA over a war built on lies. It's not typical national banter, it actually has some racist roots to it.

Any objective look at France's military history will also show that it's also factually incorrect.

Yea... this has gotten waaaaay too deep for me. I personally don't care when someone takes shots at the USA because we have a helluva long longggg list of things to be ashamed of. I forget it's "YMMV" when it comes to things said about ones home country and how they react. Like the mod post says , it's uncalled for, no I am not being sarcastic or catty nor am I ok with such comments ( I'm not sure why that has to be spelled out so often in footy threads for some reason).

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
D-LdZeeWsAAy60z.jpg

Kinda looks like the same thing? The arm is back like the US one.
Except hip position, foot position, angle the ball is coming, ability to move the arm out of the way are all completely different. So, yeah, not even close to the same thing.

A still picture taken out of context of where the ball is on the field, the players body position and the angle the ball is coming in at is not a great way to compare situations.

Last edited:

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
if an arm is limp hanging down along the sides, there is not much more humanly possible to do aside then crossing your arms behind your back and walking like a penguin LOL

Handball calls are always touchy, I know. But there should be a degree of tolerance between 0 and 5 degrees

anything more than 10 degree and up is obviously a handball but when your arm is down nearly at 5 degrees, meh

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
People should stop acting like handball is definable anymore. The way 'handballs' have been called since the introduction of VAR has completely confused a rule that was already open to interpretation.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Yea... this has gotten waaaaay too deep for me. I personally don't care when someone takes shots at the USA because we have a helluva long longggg list of things to be ashamed of. I forget it's "YMMV" when it comes to things said about ones home country and how they react. Like the mod post says , it's uncalled for, no I am not being sarcastic or catty nor am I ok with such comments ( I'm not sure why that has to be spelled out so often in footy threads for some reason).

Not like the rap sheets for thousand year old European countries aren't as long as they are old.

There will be nothing stopping people from bringing up the revolution in the semis.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
D-LdZeeWsAAy60z.jpg

Taking a freeze frame at similar points doesn't do justice to how different the two plays are in real time. Watch the real time movements and arm positions. The Japanese player has her arm held out sideways and not straight down. That can be interpreted as an unnatural arm position.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Really glad the officials got most of the calls right in this game and the correct team won.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
The first US goal was *so* lucky.
Both team could have won, it was really close and I enjoyed the game.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
D-LdZeeWsAAy60z.jpg

Yeah I'm confused - looks almost identical to the Japan Killer penalty. Close range in the box, blasted point blank at the defender, defender moving arm close to body out of the way.

How is one a penalty but one not? I agree it shouldn't be a handball but then Japan were fucking robbed

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm confused - looks almost identical to the Japan Killer penalty. Close range in the box, blasted point blank at the defender, defender moving arm close to body out of the way.

How is one a penalty but one not? I agree it shouldn't be a handball but then Japan were fucking robbed

I don't know anything about soccer but the two images are from different angles. Left the camera is directly behind the player and on the right it's hard to tell really how far the player's arm is out based off the angle.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Because it isn't identical. Watch video replay of both and you'll see that it isn't. The Japanese player has her arm extended away from her body before the ball hits it. The American player has her arm pointed down and pretty much parallel to her body before the ball hits hers. What you're seeing in this freeze frame capture is the natural swing of the American player's arm after the ball hits and assuming then that the two players had their arms at similar positions.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anything about soccer but the two images are from different angles. Left the camera is directly behind the player and on the right it's hard to tell really how far the player's arm is out based off the angle.

well they aren't identical. There is an argument the Japanese defender had her arm out from her body more - but the ball also hit her higher up compared to the French player. they were both blasted at them though. Its crazy inconsistent and hugely open to abuse by attackers in the box with no clear shot available - the 'get a penalty' equivalent of kicking a ball off a defender to try for a corner. But the punishment is much greater

Asator

Oct 27, 2017

If it can be of any help:
Firendly banter is fine. Jokes about baguettes or snail or whatever are perfectly fair game. Actual factual criticism, in a serious discussion about WWII for instance, is also obviously fine. Hell, even jokes about WWII can be fine if they're somewhat specific (like joking about Germans coming through the Ardennes or the effectiveness of the Maginot line or something).

What's not fine is misrepresenting a single event, turning it into a generalization and using that to belittle a group of people with it. That's when it gets problematic, especially when people are 100% serious about it and couple it with racist shit like "cheese eating surrendering monkeys" (although that wasn't the case of the poster that got banned). Problem is, as I said, that this whole meme has its roots in France's opposition to the Iraq war and people were absolutely serious and racist about it at the time, so the whole meme does have its roots in racism.

Hope this explains a bit why people have problem with it.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Seriously though, it kicks ass that Rapinoe scored 2 goals against Spain, said "we're not going to the fucking White House," then scored 2 goals against France. That's a story I can get behind. Glad to have been wrong about the outcome of the match.

Also that "white flag" comment was over the line, don't do that shit.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
If it can be of any help:
Firendly banter is fine. Jokes about baguettes or snail or whatever are perfectly fair game. Actual factual criticism, in a serious discussion about WWII for instance, is also obviously fine. Hell, even jokes about WWII can be fine if they're somewhat specific (like joking about Germans coming through the Ardennes or the effectiveness of the Maginot line or something).

What's not fine is misrepresenting a single event, turning it into a generalization and using that to belittle a group of people with it. That's when it gets problematic, especially when people are 100% serious about it and couple it with racist shit like "cheese eating surrendering monkeys" (although that wasn't the case of the poster that got banned). Problem is, as I said, that this whole meme has its roots in France's opposition to the Iraq war and people were absolutely serious and racist about it at the time, so the whole meme does have its roots in racism.

Hope this explains a bit why people have problem with it.

How is any of that racism? That's nationalistic bs sure, but French people are not a race. In fact, there are many "races" who are French.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
D-LdZeeWsAAy60z.jpg

It's the same damn situation. "Natural silhouette" is now the scapegoat for inconsistent refereeing. For the record, I wouldn't call any of these penalties, so rather than saying France was robbed, I think Japan was the one being wronged.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chill with the handball thing. It's a wonky rule that goes either way all the time and VAR isn't going to change the subjectivity of it from officials until the rules are very clear and precise.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I was rooting for the USA, I feel bad for France. They were right there so many times and created some good looks against a really dominant team. Glad they had one really pretty goal, at least.

USA is looking more and more like a "grind out the win" team the further into the tourney they get. Actually, their overall performance timeline in the cup kind of mirrors how their individual matches go: start out explosive then grind their way through to the end. Winception.

Hope it holds up. I have a feeling the England match will be a fairly high-scoring one for both teams, whoever the victor.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The problem with the handball rule is that it will always be up to the referee's and VAR's interpertation, unless you want to go to the field hockey way and just make every time the ball touches a player's hand or arm a foul. It's the current situation or punish the player every time the ball touches their hand/arm, even if they only could have avoided it by not having any arms at all.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Quoting myself.
2019 lowest possible finish is 4th place...
Wonder if there's a men team's with that level of dominance? too lazy to wiki...

Brazil 1958 - 1970 won 3 out of the 4 WCs played.

Men's football doesn't really allow for the same level of long term domination though. Since the game achieved global popularity and professionalism decades before the first World Cup was played, rather than decades afterwards, there have always been a large number of countries capable of winning.

Not to take anything away from the USA, they invested and it paid off, but now that the game is expanding and becoming higher profile it's going to become exponentially harder for them to sustain the frankly ridiculous dominance they have achieved so far.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself.
2019 lowest possible finish is 4th place...
Wonder if there's a men team's with that level of dominance? too lazy to wiki...

Can't think of anything like that in the modern age. I just want the curse of the FIFA Champion to continue though.

Italy wins in 2006
Italy fails to make knock out stage in 2010

Spain wins in 2010
Spain fails to make knock out stage in 2014

Germany wins in 2014
Germany fails to make knock out stage in 2018

France wins in 2018
France fails to make knock out stage in 2022???

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
How is any of that racism? That's nationalistic bs sure, but French people are not a race. In fact, there are many "races" who are French.
Maybe xenophobic is a better word? I dunno, there isn't really a word for hating someone based on their nationality as far as I know, so racism is kinda used as a catch all term for this sort of things.

Even though it might not have a name (or I just don't know what it is), it's definitely quite a common thing. This sort of nationality-based hatred and fear mongering was pretty common in Europe in the past for example, even though they were the same race:
contrast.jpg

Hell, it still exists today: See the anti-Polish sentiment amongst Brexit voters for instance.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Maybe xenophobic is a better word? I dunno, there isn't really a word for hating someone based on their nationality as far as I know, so racism is kinda used as a catch all term for this sort of things.

Even though it might not have a name (or I just don't know what it is), it's definitely quite a common thing. This sort of nationality-based hatred and fear mongering was pretty common in Europe in the past for example, even though they were the same race:
contrast.jpg

Hell, it still exists today: See the anti-Polish sentiment amongst Brexit voters for instance.

Yeah. That's called Nationalism. Nothing to do with race.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018

contrast.jpg

Racism is not a catch-all.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Bit of a shame that this generation of French players will most likely never win anything internationally (Bouhaddi, Renard, Henry, Thiney, Le Sommer +Abily, Georges, Thomis, etc.). An all-star team with nothing to show for it.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
what was renard doing on that second US goal? seemed like she wasn't making full effort to contest rapinoe

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Can't think of anything like that in the modern age. I just want the curse of the FIFA Champion to continue though.

Italy wins in 2006
Italy fails to make knock out stage in 2010

Spain wins in 2010
Spain fails to make knock out stage in 2014

Germany wins in 2014
Germany fails to make knock out stage in 2018

France wins in 2018
France fails to make knock out stage in 2022???

France wins in 1998
France fails to make knock out stage in 2002

Brazil dodged it in 2002/6, though.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Wut??????? They are the same thing.
I don't really agree. I've definitely seen some people have no strong feeling about their home countries (and in some cases wanting to move from them) but have an absolute hate boner against one country in particular for whatever reason.

A MAGA dumbass is not the same thing as someone who don't care about their home country but absolutely hate Sweden for inventing surströmming for example.

[Edit] Gonna stop here, I feel like like this is getting a bit too off topic. Apologies to other people in this thread.

Last edited:

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I don't really agree. I've definitely seen some people have no strong feeling about their home countries (and in some cases wanting to move from them) but have an absolute hate boner against one country in particular for whatever reason.

A MAGA dumbass is not the same thing as someone who don't care about their home country but absolutely hate Sweden for inventing surströmming for example.

Still makes no sense. You do you, but you have some work to do on this. So in the meantime, how about we stop calling racism a thing in international play? ESPECIALLY when we're talking European teams.

Nov 7, 2017
The problem with the handball rule is that it will always be up to the referee's and VAR's interpertation, unless you want to go to the field hockey way and just make every time the ball touches a player's hand or arm a foul. It's the current situation or punish the player every time the ball touches their hand/arm, even if they only could have avoided it by not having any arms at all.
The entire sport would turn into purposely kicking the ball at the defenders as hard as u can