• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Xenoblade 1 is one of the best JRPGs ever, and DE basically improves the graphics/sound and adds some QoL.

FFVIIR on the other hand is an average JRPG, it remakes the first hours of a beloved game adding some relevant new content and a lot of bad padding, and some new story elements that are absurdly bad and unnecessary.

XCDE is a complete game, it has even an epilogue this time, while FFVIIR is the prologue for a story that has been artificially stretched to be sold as a complete game (which it is, but it doesn't feel well-paced).

So yeah XCDE should be the far better game, not even close.

Last edited:

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
XC2 is fucking garbage to me! One of my biggest regrets in terms of spending hours. I want to go back in time and slap myself before I buy the game . Amazing soundtrack though! Never played XCX.

XCX is a totally different beast from the other two, but I'd also say it's easily my favorite. Even if you didn't care for 2, I highly encourage you to try it when you have the opportunity. It captures the feeling of being an a hostile alien world soooo well.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get VII Remake if the battle system is really important you. Xenoblade's battle system got nothing special.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt deny Xenoblade art variety (also these are bullshots or dolphin screenshot right ?) The remaster version looks average
No, those are actually from the Definitive Edition. If you're talking about the game's current resolution debate then sure, but that doesn't affect the clear variation of art compared to FF7, it doesn't have to be crisp clear to count.
nintendoeverything.com

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition screenshots show environments

The world of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition has a whole lot of environments to explore, and Nintendo is starting to showcase some of these areas with various screenshots. Take a closer look at Gaur Plain, Colony 9, Satorl Marsh, Bionis’ Interior, Makna Forest, and Eryth Sea in the...

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
XCX is a totally different beast from the other two, but I'd also say it's easily my favorite. Even if you didn't care for 2, I highly encourage you to try it when you have the opportunity. It captures the feeling of being an a hostile alien world soooo well.
I actually bought it but never started it ): (pretty shameful). I may give it a shot at some point.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
FF7R is leagues above Xeno in story, characters, graphics and battle-system.

There's no disputing the fact that Final Fantasy VII Remake is the more visually impressive game of the two, but story and character? I am really struggling to see how that's the case at all. The Final Fantasy VII cast may have more of an attachment to gamers because they've been around longer and have been featured in more media, but does that necessarily mean that they are the better cast?

Both of these statements are highly questionable, especially the voice acting one. But standards for voice acting drop the moment UK accents are involved for some reason.

For starters, you can't really hold the UK accents against the game because Nintendo of America refused to localise it. But the statement itself is not at all questionable because the performances by Adam Howden as Shulk blow the water out of anybody in VII Remake.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
FF7 remake is a lot of spit and shine but still has a lot of the worst of modern SE design philosophy. Linearity, invisible walking, etc. there are some bone-headed gameplay segments that kill pacing and chapters that just drag the whole game to a slog. Characters, music and combat are the highlights though.

XB, at least from my experience of the original nearly restored my faith in JRPGs,(ironically after the linearity of XIII). The wide open areas and design that literally rewards you for exploring were what I wanted in an RPG at the time. I'd argue that OST is as good or better than FF7re. Characters are still good as is story but doesn't have the sheen of RE.

I honestly prefer XB but depends on what you're looking to get out of the game.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
For starters, you can't really hold the UK accents against the game because Nintendo of America refused to localise it. But the statement itself is not at all questionable because the performances by Adam Howden as Shulk blow the water out of anybody in VII Remake.
I don't have a thing against the UK accents, I'm just saying the moment they are involved American standards drop. It's like a novelty factor. Having lived in both countries I'm nonplussed by them. Your second statement is begging the question and I have no time engaging with that level of argumentation.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles DE is the faithful remake of one of the best JRPGs ever made and FFVIIR is the first part of an imo less strong reimagination of one of the best JRPGs ever made. I'd go with the former game first if I were you.

FF7r resolution is about 8 times higher.

Well, Xenoblade's environments are far more than 8 times larger and they don't just use 2D textures to fake backgrounds...

final-fantasy-7-remake-graphics-1.jpg

ff7a8jhh.png

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
For what it's worth I've been slowly playing FF7R since launch (can only play about 10h a week). I'm at chapter 13 hard mode (finished normal mode), and I'm as hyped for the game as the first 10 minutes I played the demo. It's very unusual for me to so hyped near the end of a playthough. It's just friggin awesome. It goes without saying, but discard the opinions of people that haven't played the game and "incomplete game" rants.

I'll be picking up XC1 sometimes in June, looking forward to it. I'd deciding by comparing the positive things people say about both games and seeing what resonates with you. Or just get both, like me.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, Xenoblade's environments are far more than 8 times larger and they don't just use 2D textures to fake backgrounds...
Yep. I agree that is disappointing to know that the resolution in XCDE is not bigger than in XC2, it's a valid criticism point of course, but let's not compare a game where you explore vast multi-area world with a game where you explore a small multi-corridor area with some inconsistent-quality backgrounds and assets.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Since you didn't buy FFVIIR day one and are still on the fence about it, I'd suggest waiting till either the price drops or when the inevitable next-gen upgrade happens. As far as XC, idk. I played the original (20hrs or so) and never finished. It was decent but far from best RPG ever. It was ok for me but obviously not great enough to hold my attention.

FFVII was amazing outside of the texture issues. It's pretty linear but it's supposed to be seeing that it takes place in a linear section of the full game. One last thing, if you're bothered by bad IQ, XC DE might look pretty crappy since the resolution is sub-hd in both handheld and docked nodes.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
They are very different. But if you believe you will enjoy both, I would recommend playing Xenoblade first and getting FF with a discount not so far from now.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously can't speak for the new version of Xenoblade but the original was really damn good. If it's just an upgrade to that game then I'd highly recommend it. Looking forward to playing it myself when it comes out.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, those are actually from the Definitive Edition. If you're talking about the game's current resolution debate then sure, but that doesn't affect the clear variation of art compared to FF7, it doesn't have to be crisp clear to count.
nintendoeverything.com

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition screenshots show environments

The world of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition has a whole lot of environments to explore, and Nintendo is starting to showcase some of these areas with various screenshots. Take a closer look at Gaur Plain, Colony 9, Satorl Marsh, Bionis’ Interior, Makna Forest, and Eryth Sea in the...

No No I am not mixing up both, I agree that xenoblade has a good art variety

I was just checking the screenshots from that link which are misleading compared to the SS we got

1590351196-1590348113790m.jpg

zcwU4JE.jpg

vs the image from the link

xenoblade-3-1.jpg

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% the original Xenoblade. And the definitive edition will almost certainly have a lot to offer. The cast is likable, the world is unique and expansive and when the game is in the better-animated scenes, it holds up well to FF7R's direction (Mamoru Ohta is a very good cutscene director). While the sidequests are indeed overly bloated (DE will probably help since expert mode will curtail overleveling and the new QoL will make sidequesting much easier), Xenoblade establishes a massive web of NPC connections more than FF7 does (or really anything in FF outside the MMOs) to develop the world and the NPC storylines sometimes have choice elements that really affect their progression in different ways on top of using them to explore the very large zones which have a lot of interesting sub-areas.

FF7R's strength is in its combat (there are.a lot of unique preset encounters with some fun trick to them and the core ideas behind combat are great and materia works really well), presentation (barring low rez textures, the animation and lighting is top-notch) and smooth script (though which always somehow goes down in quality whenever sephiroth is on screen). It's a great game but also one that isn't fully told I would say and the ending portion is just too much vague nonsense for me to care.

Last edited:

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Both are amazing experiences, you really can't go wrong here.

FF7R will go on sale at some point unlike Xenoblade, so I would dip into Xenoblade first. You're going to be diving into one of the best JRPGs of all time, with an amazing cast, story, soundtrack, and fun combat system.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, it's easily Xenoblade for me. I've put about 5 hours into FFVII:R and not gone back to it - Xenoblade, I've completed twice.

(Of course, don't expect a measured response from a guy with a Lego Monado avatar)

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
FF 7:R is an incredible game and I will probably prefer it to Xenoblade once I play that this week if only because I prefer shorter experiences these days. Someone above mentioned 400 quests in XB, yeah imma be skipping most of that.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade by a landslide, the series as a whole is my favorite of all time and the updated graphics fixes the main problem with the first game.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tough choice. I've obviously not played the definitive edition of XC, but I've played the base version. I might lean to FFVIIR because it's more fun. The battle system makes it a joy to play. The battle system in XC is somewhat MMORPG lite.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a thread. I've played FFVII maybe 8 times lol. I haven't played the Remake yet so I can't comment. Xenoblade is one of my favorite games ever and so is Final Fantasy. Since I haven't played Remake I give the edge to XenoblaDE.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake is the best JRPG I've played since the original Final Fantasy VII and I have beaten Xenoblade twice (Wii, 3DS). However, if the financials are in play, get Xenoblade because it'll almost never be on sale due to how Nintendo values most of their first party games. FF VII R will probably go on sale by Black Friday so you have that going for you. If the financials are not in play, get the Remake then get Xenoblade because you'll probably like both games.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R was decent, I enjoyed it for the most part.

XBC is a Goat. If you really can only have one, Xb is a much better option.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Final Fantasy 7 Remake lived up to the hype.

Xenoblade Chronicles (the original) didn't for me. Superboring combat system, and could see pretty much all the plot twists miles ahead.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
The original Xenoblade was pretty cool. I mean, I spent probably 60-70 hours on it, but I eventually gave up on the game (I was probably a few hours from the end). I remember the combat system taking some time getting used to. The story was ok but not exactly mind-blowing. The side-quests were terrible.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade has like 10 times the padding that FF7r has if you're worried about that. It's combat also sucks. Outside of that it's a pretty great game though and has some cool unique stuff in it.

This choice should come down to if you want an engaging story with cool cutscenes and a really fun action combat system or a more traditional RPG adventure with some unique locations and NPC interactions.

Also, ignore anyone that says Xenoblade's dub is better. FF7r has one of the best dubs for a JRPG of all time. Up there with XII and XIV.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
The moment Xenoblade gave me a fetch quest where I had to kill 5 crabs or something to get materials I flushed it - do not recommend if you dont like these huge mmoesque worlds played in offline mode

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Same conundrum and I think im buying Xenoblade cause its a Nintendo game and those dont drop in price.