• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked, but anyone know if the final release of the game will allow us to use potions or healing out of combat? Cause I found it weird I had to engage in combat and gain ATB on top of that to heal, so how does status debuffs also work. Plus I remember Cloud starting with thunder and cure materia and Barret with none as cloud would explain Materia to him from what I recall.

Liked the demo though, really awesome, brought back memories
I think I have used potions out of combat. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Sorry if this has been asked, but anyone know if the final release of the game will allow us to use potions or healing out of combat? Cause I found it weird I had to engage in combat and gain ATB on top of that to heal, so how does status debuffs also work. Plus I remember Cloud starting with thunder and cure materia and Barret with none as cloud would explain Materia to him from what I recall.

I could use potions outside of combat but not from the menu, just pressed X in game and used a potion.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Haven't played the demo yet, watched the GB video and Brad is definitely using potions out of combat.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Barret scene in the elevator was cringe worthy...

I don't have problem with his voice acting, but what the hell his monologue & body language/animations in that scene???

Good thing Cloud's "Get help" was great comeback.

Because barret starts out as an extremist. He's psyching himself up by justifying his terrorism.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The overuse of grunts, jumping sounds and stuff is noticeable, also the camera is a little too close in my opinion.

Other than that I really enjoyed it, Scorpion battle was great.

Can't wait for the full game.

That's typical S-E sound design since like KH1. It peaked in XIII and I hated it with passion. It's better than in that game but yeah it's annoying as fuck.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Every character sounds exactly like what I pictured they would 23 years ago. It's great. (except Jessie, who once again, I thought was a guy this whole time. Lol)

Also, holy shit, yes, the musical nod to
One-Winged Angel
so good!

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
I think I have used potions out of combat. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.
I could use potions outside of combat but not from the menu, just pressed X in game and used a potion.
Haven't played the demo yet, watched the GB video and Brad is definitely using potions out of combat.
Ah thank ye, I was trying to access it through the main menu through Inventory

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I swore to not pre-order from Square Enix anymore, but this plays and looks so damn good that I'm convinced they're on the right track. You got me Square. I'll even buy some Butterfingers to give to my nephew.

Hopefully remaking 7 will remind them of what made Final Fantasy a household name to begin with.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The overuse of grunts, jumping sounds and stuff is noticeable, also the camera is a little too close in my opinion.

Other than that I really enjoyed it, Scorpion battle was great.

Can't wait for the full game.
This entirely, the one other thing I wish was a better targeting system
During the Escape when you fight the Shock Troopers and the Turrets out of reach, I switched to Barrett and he kept targeting the Shock Troopers instead of the guns.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Graphics: Hawt
Gameplay: Sweet
Voice acting: Great
Dialogue: A bit overdone
New stuff like seeing Shinra and Heidigger: Bloat/needless drama

There's adding new things, and then there's adding new things as much as possible. Less is more.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
I noticed it too. I guess it's common in japanese dialogue, maybe? I hear it all the time in Yakuza but i dont know if i have ever heard it in the english speaking version of a japanese game.
I don't speak japanese but I never hear those kind of sounds in movies. Maybe anime? Still really weird. Hopefully less painful if I play the japanese version.

Barrets monologue was pretty weird as well with the posing. More of a writing problem than acting tough.

I'm amazed by the scope and graphics but the things that demands more than a huge budget are not really up to snuff. Hopefully it picks up along the way.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not as bad as I thought it would be, I even enjoyed it during smaller encounters but the fight against the scorpion really exposed it for how overly convoluted it is. The thing that's weird is, the ATB system is still pretty much the meat and potatoes of the combat. That part is good, but the action heavy bits (which basically amounts to just mashing square anyways, you know the part that everyone hates about those terrible atb/tb jrpgs) where it wants you to dodge and guard and switch characters etc. It's just a nightmare.

It's more management and why? Oh so I can feel like I have more control over my character and we get more spectacle now. It's basically an illusion of action for people who complain about characters standing in a row and attacking each other and there is no pay off or added depth rather it just adds an extra layer of character management.

Now you have to focus on dodging attacks, blocking attacks, using other characters abilities, but making sure they can use them first because you also have to keep track of everyone's atb meters. All of which is done while the game expects you to monitor the enemy and what attacks they will do next. It only exacerbates game play while adding nothing meaningful. It's just frustration, and it all get lost in a mess of graphics. Like electrical explosions, numbers bouncing around, characters screaming at each other. It's just a mess of action.

An exercise not in challenge but one's ability to try and see through all the special effects and what not to find and properly use the ATB system. Just cut through the bullshit and it's practically the same game but that's the thing, there is a layer of bullshit on top of something that already works and it's frustrating really that they gave into the people who want special effects and to feel like they are in control all the time because it only served to make the game worse.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Barret's elevator monologue being a big blowhard cringefest is likely purposeful, given later revelations about him.

Cloud acknowledging it as such is the clear signal that it's not an accident.

chroeser

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow I nearly died at the Boss. Which is to say, this tension alone makes the Battle System better than XV. Oh and I fucking love switching charakters. Barret is equaly fun to play as is Cloud. Now I hope for a Hard-Mode.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
ultima786
They made him into Mr. T. He never was Mr. T.
Gita Jackson over at Kotaku covered this better than I could.
kotaku.com

Fans Are Concerned About Barret's Voice In The Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Yesterday a new teaser for the Final Fantasy VII remake dropped, and players got to see and hear more of the characters as they will appear in the new game. For the most part, the reaction is positive. In the case of Barret Wallace, the reaction has been mixed.

They basically forced in a stereotype that was never there.
I havent played the remake demo yet, but I always felt that he was Mr. T in the original game--to the point where that's what I named him when I was in middle school. His mannerisms and speech patterns were definitely "Mr. T inspired." (The concept of blackness in media and how poorly games expressed it being a big part of this, but not something I feel competent to discuss, sorry.)

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The feel of the game is alright. but the combat is pretty senseless with very little thought needed as to how you proceed.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I finally beat the demo, this time with zoom level 3 for both battles and outside of battles.

To complement my previous post:

+ The characters look really good (the designs are really faithful to the originals), and i liked the banter between Cloud and Barret (not so much Jessie's thirst).
+ The music is better than expected, after listening to the leaked bso.
+ The zoom works better with option 3, but i think the should add more levels to this.

- The stage layout is a bit weak and i didnt enjoy the padding (like the lasers).
- The combat is really underwhelming:
• The camera is the worst, missing the action happening on the screen almost constantly.​
• Barret is not fun to use, and i felt forced to use him just to kill the long range enemies / charge his atb to use thunder on the enemies because the AI doesn't do much by itself.​
• The evade action is a mess, and i couldn't use it reliably against the scorpion. It also shouldn't be mapped to a face button (thank god for the dualshock back button attachment).​
I was already wary with the gameplay after watching the trailers, so it is not really a surprise to me, but I'm still dissapointed.

did you unlock anything after the demo? A theme, or items for the full game?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I died once in the demo, but it was because I made a mistake on the escape and tried to run through the shock troopers to get past, but then they all ganged up on me and I had a shitty moment. On refresh, I killed them pretty easily by taking the first one out and then moving to the others.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
If we're going for OT titles I think it should be something about Reunion

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Not a fan of FFVIIR gameplay but Its better than XV. The controls are better (though imo far from perfect). The game feels less janky. Its not KH ish responsive, but its better than XV. You can switch to side characters with a simple press on the d-pad, unlike XV where you can't control them at all. The camera is probably the same as XV, and i'm not a fan of it. But the overall experience is less janky. You can't jump in VII, which isn't a bad choice, its akin to XIII that lets you auto jump over gaps. I didn't hate that. The jumping in XV is fucking awful and near useless.
thanks buddy, i'm gonna try the demo by myself in a couple of hours.

Oct 25, 2017
FUCKING LOOOOOOOOVED IT.

This demo gave me life. I just loved going to each new area and looking around.

Combat will take a little getting used to to get really good at it. Scorpion boss kicked my ass, but that was because I was fumbling with the controls a bit.

But obviously this is massive day 1 purchase. Gonna try for the deluxe version.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I swear I'm not exaggerating when I say this is the best demo I have literally ever played! I can't fucking wait for the full game! The gameplay is just incredible.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Spent some time practicing the scorpion boss, this is where I'm at now. Didn't get to use limit break, I suppose it's based off how much damage you take? I don't know yet.

The combat is real good. Problem I have tho is having to switch members to move them out of AOE. They can block but not dodge, sadly

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing transplanted from KH that I love is the dynamic music that swells every time you enter or exit battle. and there seems to be very specific music for battles as well which is amazing. The music over all is just fucking killer

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Looks and sounds pretty much like I thought years ago when I first played VII.

The combat is absolutely horrible though and framerate on ps4 is pretty bad. It will require some serious sale and pc or enhanced console version for me to get it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Eh. XV had combos for different combos for directional inputs and a variety of weapons you could switch between mid combo.

Oh right, that was quote cool.

I loved how combat looked in terms of animations in XV but disliked how easy it was by just holding down that button. Let me tap, I enjoy that a lot more, feels like I'm still actually doing something, you know.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Here's some short impressions

Battle system was a little overwhelming on my first playthrough but when I went back again this morning I felt way more comfortable and enjoyed the hell out of it. I do believe their needs to be less clutter when it comes to damage numbers and everything else flying on the screen when an enemy is going to attack because its hard to really know whats going to happen ahead of time to dodge or block so I hope they can put more emphasis on the enemies next move or something.

Graphics were great for what this demo is which from what I've heard is an old e3 build from last year? a little soft and slightly on the blurry side so it definitely needs that finishing polish which I'm sure it will get. I didn't notice any issues that ffxv had or kh3 with frame pacing which is a plus for sure or dropped frames.

Musically theirs not much to say since it was such a short demo but from the title music to the rest of the demo the nostalgia kicked in full throttle and enjoyed every second of it as it set the scenes.

Voice acting honestly didn't bother me nor did I ever feel like it took me out of the space of what was going on so I don't have much to say. I feel like its more of the same from any recent final fantasy game to be honest. I don't expect naughty dog levels of VA or anything like that but from what I've heard in my eyes its totally serviceable. I'll have to wait and see more character interactions and just more of the game in general but so far its not the best but far from the worst.

My main issue is the camera system. I set in battle, out of battle to 3 which helped a lot and I believe is the furthest out you can go. The default was at 1 (which seemed way too claustrophobic to me). They need to add a 4 or 5 to that and I think it would be much much better.

other then that I know its an early build so we'll see what changes next month but I'm happy so far.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Not according to the Store page:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE DEMO

Enjoy the first chapter of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE─the iconic Mako Reactor 1 bombing mission─with this demo version.br- Progress cannot be carried over into the retail version of the game.br- Content may differ from that of the retail version.brbrFINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a bold reimagining...
Oh wow. I couldn't find an answer so I basically assumed it would, like so many other RPG demos from the past few years.

Kind of disappointed.

Feels like someone made it in Dreams. It's that kind of floaty, weightless feeling.

Sad and surprising to hear after everyone gushed and raved over how the battle mechanics felt in the E3 demo.

About to boot it up and try for myself

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Spent some time practicing the scorpion boss, this is where I'm at now. Didn't get to use limit break, I suppose it's based off how much damage you take? I don't know yet.

The combat is real good. Problem I have tho is having to switch members to move them out of AOE. They can block but not dodge, sadly

Loved it! Good job man

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I havent played the remake demo yet, but I always felt that he was Mr. T in the original game--to the point where that's what I named him when I was in middle school. His mannerisms and speech patterns were definitely "Mr. T inspired." (The concept of blackness in media and how poorly games expressed it being a big part of this, but not something I feel competent to discuss, sorry.)
Yeah, for better or worse, this is...kind of exactly what I thought Barrett would look and sound like with more technical fidelity, even way back in 1997. The way he behaves and acts in this demo isn't a stretch at all imo. This is Barrett.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed what I played, but my biggest fear with this game is that it's going to feel bloated considering they're doing multiple games. I would have preferred something tighter. Either way it's a day one purchase.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Had goosebumps on the title screen and watching the opening. Then a couple of moments throughout. And this is just in mainly industrial dark areas and the reactor. It's going to blow my mind throughout Midgar and the Shinra tower.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Very good, watched it the whole way through.