• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which was better Season 5 or 2?

• Season 5

Votes: 50 37.3%
  • Season 2

Votes: 84 62.7%

• Total voters

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Slayven let us vote on which is better between S5 and S2 :P

Darkh just reminded me of too much goofy shit that almost made me drop Arrow (like Ollie's Spirit Bomb he used to beat him), but I thought he was a more fitting villain for Legends than Arrow also. Emiko's history and reasons for wanting to get back at the Queen family at least seemed more in line with the show's tone than Damien's magic stuff.

Yea but her execution was terrible, and we've already had several evil archers that were much better

He had so much charisma and was so much fun being hilariously evil and charming.

Yup, the plot was terrible, but he wasn't

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Oliver isn't actually dead though right? He's still the Spectre and Spectre can't really be killed. Taken off the board maybe. I doubt the Monitor can actually go into the afterlife. He's never shown that kind of power before in the comics right? I took that scene as being a reality that Oliver created for himself and Felicity. Neither one are actually dead. Kinda maybe similar to the Paradise Dimension that Earth 2 Superman and his Lois end up in with Superboy Prime and Earth 3 Lex in COIE?

Still gives it some finality as Oliver has moved on. That door is still kinda open though I think but they'd be hard pressed to even justify bringing him back after this send off.

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
However, if we're talking about the best overall season, maybe season 1? I think the ending is more satisfying than S2. That rooftop fight vs. Merlyn was very small and simple and I think that's how the finale should have mirrored S1. Instead, Crisis really cut into the final season. I think back to the Justified finale and it's still just Raylan gunslinging in Harlan.

I think my criticism of S5 is a lot of what Prometheus accomplices is obfuscated instead of being shown why he's 10 steps ahead. So you just have to take it on the writers word that he's that good. Josh Segarra was really great though.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
My final rankings of the seasons I think goes:

1. Season 2
2. Season 8
3. Season 1
4. Season 5
5. Season 7 (the first half carries it, the second half is pretty meh)
6. Season 6
7. Season 3
8. Season 4

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Season 5
Season 8
Season 2
Season 1
Season 7 (Prison Arc was awesome)
Season 6
---
Season 4
Season 3

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
For me it would be .
Season 5
Season 2
Season 8
Season 1
Season 7
Season 6
Season 3 and 4 just bad lol.

So i would say Arrow had more good and okay seasons than bad.

Darkmark1987

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Keep hearing this was a two hour finale. Did they mean a double ep, or does it include that documentary type ep that aired counted?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2 great seasons, two good, 3 bad, 1 godawful

Meh, this show is like the epitome of being more than the sum of its parts anyhow I suppose

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of course the very last scene of the entire series is Olicity pandering ad infinitum.

Absolute trash.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oliver isn't actually dead though right? He's still the Spectre and Spectre can't really be killed. Taken off the board maybe. I doubt the Monitor can actually go into the afterlife. He's never shown that kind of power before in the comics right? I took that scene as being a reality that Oliver created for himself and Felicity. Neither one are actually dead. Kinda maybe similar to the Paradise Dimension that Earth 2 Superman and his Lois end up in with Superboy Prime and Earth 3 Lex in COIE?

Still gives it some finality as Oliver has moved on. That door is still kinda open though I think but they'd be hard pressed to even justify bringing him back after this send off.

Oliver said it himself. He's at peace now. The Spectre likely still exists but his physical form was killed and Oliver no longer sees a reason to manifest again. He's finished, essentially.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
2 great seasons, two good, 3 bad, 1 godawful

Meh, this show is like the epitome of being more than the sum of its parts anyhow I suppose

The last episode made the contrast between the earlier, more grounded, seasons, with the goofy and the clutter of the later ones so stark.

For me, it started going downhill in season 4.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Still don't know how I feel about them bringing back Moira, Tommy, and Lance like that. Kinda cheapens the consequences of his actions as Green Arrow. Though the best scene was when Laurel was talking to Lance about how Oliver didn't bring back Earth 1 Laurel.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't know how I feel about them bringing back Moira, Tommy, and Lance like that. Kinda cheapens the consequences of his actions as Green Arrow. Though the best scene was when Laurel was talking to Lance about how Oliver didn't bring back Earth 1 Laurel.
I'm okay with Quintin. Tommy's and Moria's deaths did change Oliver though. So if the belief that he couldn't or didn't bring back those whose's death changed him is right both of them should have stayed dead. Their deaths impacted him as much as his father's and even Earth 1 Laurel. Though I guess they could switch Tommy with Earth 1 Laurel and get the same result. That still leaves Moria as an issue. It's an issue though they don't have to worry about addressing anymore so I guess I won't think to much about it.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Truth is Oliver with all that power and not bringing back any body would seem more out of character .
Man had a lot of regret that he was able to make right now that he could.
They said the spin off was a factor with Earth 1 Laurel if not for that i am sure they would bring her back also.

This is crackers.jpg taken a bit too far...

Yep .

I mean that's his wife, and she hasn't been seen the entire season lol, also we needed a payoff for the Monitor taking her away

The ending would have most likely be like that if the showed end at season 7 so it make sense.

Last edited:

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with Quintin. Tommy's and Moria's deaths did change Oliver though. So if the belief that he couldn't or didn't bring back those whose's death changed him is right both of them should have stayed dead. Their deaths impacted him as much as his father's and even Earth 1 Laurel. Though I guess they could switch Tommy with Earth 1 Laurel and get the same result. That still leaves Moria as an issue. It's an issue though they don't have to worry about addressing anymore so I guess I won't think to much about it.
You talk about Moira's death effecting Ollie that death honestly effect Thea more and I'm now wondering how she got her training cause her death caused her to leave with Malcolm to train her so did she have any motivation to train with him or did she train with Ollie

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You talk about Moira's death effecting Ollie that death honestly effect Thea more and I'm now wondering how she got her training cause her death caused her to leave with Malcolm to train her so did she have any motivation to train with him or did she train with Ollie

I just toss her with group that got there pass time line skills and keep the same lol.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
It's best not to think too much about the timeline changes because they clearly prioritized fanservice before proper continuity. Can't really blame them. As long as it doesn't fuck up anything in the other shows, Arrow's over anyways.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Great:
Season 5
Season 2

Good:
Season 1
Season 8
Season 6

Mediocre:
Season 7

Bad:
Season 3
Season 4
Dang, you liked season 6? I thought it was veering close to season 4 levels of bad. It still pisses me off that the first episode of that season ruins the season 5 finale.

I'd put S6 in bad and season 3 in mediocre.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Deathstroke was fantastic, but so was Adrian Chase. He fucked with Oliver in every way imaginable, it was crazy. Plus it was a massive comeback for the show after Season 4.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Deathstroke was fantastic, but so was Adrian Chase. He fucked with Oliver in every way imaginable, it was crazy. Plus it was a massive comeback for the show after Season 4.
Chase's goodbye ended up having no lasting impact, which hurts him as a villain in my mind. The final moment of season 5 ends up being quite anticlimactic. It's the same reason I couldn't take Merlyn seriously by the end: Merlyn became a fucking goober. Slade actually hit Oliver where it hurts.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chase's goodbye ended up having no lasting impact, which hurts him as a villain in my mind. The final moment of season 5 ends up being quite anticlimactic. It's the same reason I couldn't take Merlyn seriously by the end: Merlyn became a fucking goober. Slade actually hit Oliver where it hurts.

Well he got his mom back too so meh

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Well he got his mom back too so meh
True. It wasn't due to the villain's plan ultimately blowing up in his own face though. The man is a mastermind but couldn't figure out how to optimize where to place bombs on an island.

And yes, I know the mom died by Adrian but she's a nothing of a character and even then they disrespected the character by giving her the lousiest excuse for a death scene ever.

Yeah, I think the first episode of season 6 really broke me.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure William's mom is alive now. Felicity mentioned that "she gave William a GPS tracker when they went back to central city"

FalconSabre

Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina
After eight seasons, it's going to be weird not tuning in for a new episode next week. Even with the legacy being carried on through the other shows, Arrow will still be my favorite of the bunch. While bittersweet, I couldn't have asked for a better ending to cap off one of my favorite all time shows.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure William's mom is alive now. Felicity mentioned that "she gave William a GPS tracker when they went back to central city"

Considering she said "stepmom", I'm pretty sure Felicity was talking about herself. I really don't think Samantha was anywhere near tech-savvy enough to do something with subdermal implants.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Man, Olicity was one of the worst things to happen to this show. It ended up becoming so integral that Arrow become a soap opera and Felicity got waaay too much focus. Not to mention it shat all over Black Canary and made her a side character

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Oliver wanted William to grow up with Felicity, so I don't think he imagined William's mom in his ideal world.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I will really miss the show, after 8 years it became integrated into my life, it had an atmosphere none of the other arrowverse shows have. It will be hard for me to find a replacement for a while.

OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
S5 > S2. S2 might have more hype/tension, but the game plot falls apart in the last few episodes and most falls on Slade just being insane. Whereas every episode in S5 is great, there's consistency the whole time.

Also the last third of S6 is actually really good, from the Diggle fight onward it's really strong but the middle stretch is painful.