• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Morgana because if that little shit didn't tell me to focus I would've failed my classes.

Oct 25, 2017
Skull has the most passion for what the phantom thieves are about. He. Why not have the brains, but the heart is there.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Her palace had a Nocturne reference which gets brownie points with me.

In the battle arena, you fight three battles and the last one is Thor.

In the Nocturne Mantra Trial, you fight three battles and the last one is Thor.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll throw in a vote for Morgana. He's pretty cool except for
the hackneyed falling out trope that is so suddenly and poorly done that it completely fucks over Morgana and Ryuji's characters, and Haru's introduction to the team.

Alternatively: Fox got the most laughs out of me for being so damn weird.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't beaten the game, I got up to Haru joining my party in vanilla P5, and my girlfriend and I just got up to July in Royal, but it's Makoto for me all day every day

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Fox > Queen > Skull > Oracle > Panther >>>>>>> Morgana
Joker is a silent character, and you pick his choices anyway so I'm not rating him. Noir doesn't even have a personality, she's worse than Joker. 😂
Haven't played Royal so I can't rate the new character.

Last edited:

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My list probs goes

Futaba > Yusuke > (royal) crow(R) > Ryuji > (royal) Kasumi >> Ann >> Haru >> Makoto >>> Morgana > (vanilla) crow (vanilla)

I actually like all of them a decent bit though. Morgana and Makoto were just the ones that had the most scenes I was irritated by, but I don't dislike them by any means.

I like haru but she's just not given enough screen time.

(royal) crow had a massive glow up between releases where a lot more effort went into his characters and it makes him one of the better characters in the game as a result. Imo

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I'll go the extra mile.

Kanji > Skull > Aigis > Fox > Mitsuru > Queen > Panther > Akihiko > Noir > Yukari > Yukiko > Chie > Oracle > Rise > Junpei > Naoto > Shinji > Mona > Koromaru > Fuuka > Crow > Teddie > Ken > Yosuke

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Makoto > Futaba > Ann > Mona > Joker > Haru/Ryuji/Yusuke and then Crow is at the bottom of a pit somewhere dying of starvation.

I actually really like most of the main cast. Haru/Ryuji/Yusuke I like in short bursts, and don't mind when the story focuses on them, but compared to everyone else I kinda just want to get back to the others.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Anyone who said morgana should be ashamed of themselves lol

Also Kasumi sucks, they need to never try to force in another party member in their stupid cash in remakes

Deleted member 42641

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
the constant abuse he gave to Ryuji pisses me off so much.

Hes just so bad on some many levels, I played royal with my room-mate watching it all and she couldnt even believe that they had such a contradicting character.

Hes not cute at all, he goes against everything the game stands for in the first arc, being a dick to ryuji who is one of the most fun characters is just beyond stupid and then going and crying about it later in the game and in turn taking over haru's whole arc who is also a great character (Dont ever forget in the boss battle against okumura morgana is the last one to say something, not haru lol)

I just hope they finally ditch the voiceless protag in 6 and let the character speak for themselves so we dont have the potential of one of the most annoying characters in gaming acting like the voice for the protag

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite Phantom Thief is Yusuke. He's hilarious(ly awkward) and level-headed. I like his contributions to the Thieves as the calling card designer and skill card duplicator - they make sense for his character. I also really like his confidant story since his slump and uneasy relationship with money is a direct result of his time with Madarame. It feels like a nice continuation of his arc.

My least favourite Phantom Thief is Makoto. The obvious developer favoritism is annoying (+10 all skills weapon ugh). I don't even think she fits in with the Phantom Thieves' social outcast quality. What injustice has she faced really? Also she in no way justifies the responsibility of lead strategist/brains of the operation thrust upon her when she joins. And the way the game addresses this is by making every character worship the ground the walks on to nauseating levels (you memorized the code to Kaneshiro's briefcase wooow so amazing) or by dunking on Ryuji to prop up Makoto (she understands something quickly, "I bet Ryuji is still trying to figure it out har har").

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Morgana because hes a funny talking cat, with Pikachu's Voice Actress, and one of the few characters relevant to the main plot. Makoto was fine too.

Anyone who said morgana should be ashamed of themselves lol

Nah, all the other characters are your average acne-less pretty anime teens. Talking cat > *
Also best all-out screen.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Yusuke and Haru are my faves, but factoring in Haru nigh on requiring you to invest in social links to actually learn anything about her (and them being late-ish in the game links at that), it's easier to just go with Yusuke.
But there's one big flaw I have here, in a game where style is king I've gotta be honest, I never liked the Fox phantom thief attire nearly as much as any of the other characters, best character with my least liked duds, what a shame.

Deleted member 42641

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
She's not only one of the best characters in P5 she's one of my favorite Persona characters ever.

For me personally the clear intrusive scenes they added of her just made me hate her. She pops up randomly to talk about her random struggles that have no bearing on anything till the new part. The game just places so much emphasis on her and forces her on you in a way that took away from the story that was already there. It just felt like clear pandering to sell a new girl.

Then the new part comes and I think the game had an opportunity to make her interesting, but she just gets over her whole struggle because she needs to be playable.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Royal did the unthinkable and me actually like Akechi, but the answer is always Makoto

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I have 3 personal favourites, but even then...

Beep Boop got some things going for her, but her design does not have a great visual pop. Her own story drops off after her introduction as well. Infinite points for motorcycle persona though.

EDGELORD SUPREMO is- he's so great, but I wish there was a time where he just- he just needs be something resembling normal, man. One time where he's chill.

Floofy hair is nice? Her design, barring one or two things is probably one of the stronger designs of the thieves, and I do feel like her character is balanced, but as others have mentioned her lack of screentime naturally means she just does not have as much depth as she could.

So in summary, Yusuke.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
I love and hate Skull all at the same time. I wish he wouldn't dry snitch on us all the damn time and in the same breath, THAT is the dude I want in the trenches with me cause he's the embodiment of "we all go home or NOBODY goes home."

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Yukiko is way more boring
I agree. Haru is a cinnamon roll with a secret dark side. Yukiko is sorta bland and likes lame humor. The only problem with Haru is they didn't do more with her.
She's not only one of the best characters in P5 she's one of my favorite Persona characters ever.
Kasumi is very high on my list as well. I was worried that she'd be another Marie, but both Kasumi and Maruki turned out to be excellent additions to the story and fit perfectly.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Love P5 but besides Yusuke the cast is kinda lackluster compared to 3

Nahhhhhhhh. Personally, 3 had a very weak cast with chemistry that wishes it was as good as 4/5. On the plus side it does have the best mascot character in the series as koromaru is the best, but that's about it.

Ken and fuuka are actually pretty bad/annoying though I admit a big part of my problem with fuuka is her VA. Shinji just exists to die . Yukari is annoying. Junpei is a sexist asshole and the development he gets later never got me over it. Akihiko is okay, but kind of one note. Kind of similar for Mitsuru. Aigis is good too and there's a reason post release stuff has focused on her more. As I said previously, koromaru is obvs the best tho.

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I love Yusuke and his doofy awkwardness. He also has my favorite element (ice) and uses a katana. Only thing about him I don't like is his stupid tail ornament - takes the fox theme too far, IMO.

He is by far the funniest character in any Persona game, and genuinely likable to boot.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Wow, I'm currently 200 hours in and it's only 12/24 & I'm in the final dungeon of the original. Hopefully, I'll get to see more of best girl Kasumi as I move into the 3rd trimester stuff.

Kasumi>Ann>Haru>Ryuji (after 4th palace)> Makoto>Inari>Morgana> rest

Ann's resolve displayed after the first palace was great.... that cut scene was outstanding considering the problamatic material is was about...

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see so many people riding for Yusuke. He has a couple cringe lines re: girls but the rest of your interactions with him are solid gold. so funny.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Base game? Makoto, with Futaba being a close second.

Royal:
Post-'main'-game Crow, he's hilarious.

I really wish they'd integrated Kasumi better in Royal, it's somehow worse/less included than Marie in Golden.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Though Joker is my favorite Persona MC, I have to give favorite Phantom Thief to Makoto. I really do love all the PTs, though, they're such an enjoyable group with great chemistry.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Joker is definitely my favourite -- followed by Makoto. Adore her.
That said, I really like Sumire as well

The whole cast is fantastic.