• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
PS3 doesn't surprise me but, Jim, please I want to buy PS1 classics on the store for the PS5.
Honestly this doesn't sound like such a shut door as I was expecting. "So, unfortunately, we couldn't reach the implementation of such compatibilities" to me reads as they're looking to find a way to profit off of it.

Still 99.9% sure it'll never happen.
Sony released a bunch of PS2 classics on the PS3 only through the PSN store.

Sony also released a bunch of these same PS2 classics on the PS4 (again, only through the PSN store), but you had to pay again.

Now that they're explicitly doing backwards compatibility, they'd better not charge for the same set of PS2 games a third (fourth, if you count their initial release) time.

Oct 25, 2017
I may be the minority here but i honestly prefer remakes and remasters of older games. I get people wanting to play them in their purest form back in the day though and would be nice if they did a virtual console type thing like nintendo and make it a part of PS+ but full BC to that era is probally not worth it to sony sadly.

The BC stuff MS is doing on the One X makes many BC games look like remasters at no cost. The new Series X BC enhancements also look amazing. So for me, it's more "why not both".

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This seemed Pretty likely for a while, but on a technical level what hardware would need to be implemented if any to read PS1-PS3 game discs? I know that's not the only aspect of BC, but can the standard blu-ray optical drive read the data?
Xbox literally just reads the disc as a license and you download the entire game. The disc at that point is just proof of purchase if I remember right

Smartina

Banned
Jul 9, 2020
Shouldn't it be super easy for a system like the PS5 to emulate PS1 and PS2 titles? And given the hardware it should also be possible to run PS3 games. I have all the original consoles but would be just so much more convenient not to have six, seven consoles standing and lying around in the living room.

Last edited:

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Potential PS3/PS2/PS1 BC was literally the one and only thing holding me back from buying the disc-less version of the new console. Now that it's 100% confirmed from the top, I'll get to save 100 bucks and simply keep my PS3 around.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony released a bunch of PS2 classics on the PS3 only through the PSN store.

Sony also released a bunch of these same PS2 classics on the PS4 (again, only through the PSN store), but you had to pay again.

Now that they're explicitly doing backwards compatibility, they'd better not charge for the same set of PS2 games a third (fourth, if you count their initial release) time.
Wait....you have to REBUY THEM? Seriously? That's....that's Nintendo like

Jul 26, 2019
As a person who grow up with PS1, and have a lot of PSP and PS3 games, seeing Sony to ignore their legacy is just baffling.

They use nostalgia factor when it comes to selling new products like FFVII:R and RE2:R but they do nothing about actually supporting their retro catalogue and showing that they care about their legacy. Which is understandable from business standpoint, but with decisions like this PlayStation as a brand loses its nostalgia charm for their older costumers imo. Not all decisions shouldn't really made for if it is profitable in the near future or not. They should have showed they care what made PlayStation what it is today.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As an aside. I don't like full fledged remakes like FF7R, much rather stuff like Crash and Spyro that are essentially the exact same games just brought forward to this gen in a great looking and running way.
I think FF7 has so many versions that I think its a decent compromise to re-imagine the game a bit imo. You have tons of ways to play it now. so Remake works for me at least. But I def say some remasters def are a nice sweetspot

zthan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this, my shitty 4 year old phone can run a PS1 emulator almost perfectly, but they can't get it on the new console? It just seems like an easy thing to do that would at least be useful for marketing.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Disc support was always a dream but I'm still surprised they don't support the digital PS1 games on the PS Store. That's even "monetizing" BC since you have to purchase them. I think some people speculated that the games would have to be re-licensed or re-rated or something to sell them on a "new" platform, so I guess the cost of that outweighs the potential profit in their eyes.

At any rate, it's clear now that the current iteration of Sony has no interest in this. Until the market forces them to change, or there's a significant shakeup in their personnel, don't assume we'll ever get anything like this. You can build a Retropie for around $90-100 and backup all your discs and play them there. That's what I've done, and hopefully in 3 or 4 years I'll be able to do the same with my PS2 collection on the next iteration of the Raspberry Pi.

Is this true?
www.bbc.co.uk

PS5 vs Xbox Series X: How do they compare? - CBBC Newsround

Who will win the console war this Christmas? We take a look at the new Xbox and Playstation.

Well, you're certainly not gonna run your PS4 discs on the PS5 Digital Edition. I'm sure digital PS4 games will work fine on it.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there you go. Official conformation. Sucks, but maybe they'll change their tune down the line. Those old consoles and the digital storefronts for them won't be around forever.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
And? As long as PS5 is BC with PS4, that's all that people care about. very few people are interested in replaying Metal Gear Solid 1 or Dead Space again on their PS5.

Yeah! Fuck old games! Who cares about using my new system to play my existing games leveraging the newfound power. Lame! Give me next gen exclusives that take full advantage of the PS5 like Spider-Man and Horizon! Oh wait...

It's baffling. Other than Nintendo, Sony EASILY has the best back library pre PS4. It would be HUGE. Why they just leave them long dead to every once in awhile make customers double and triple dip on them is poopy.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it be super easy for a system like the PS5 to emulate PS1 and PS2 titles? And given the hardware it should also be possible to run PS3 games. I have all the original consoles but would be just so more convenient not to have six, seven consoles standing and lying around in the living room.
Difficulty is not the issue.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yup, I have two sets of the PS2 GTA games now (and yes, I hate myself for this).
Then you have Xbox...I bought the Xbox Live Arcade version of Castlevania SOTN right when it came out on 360. I just redownloaded it yesterday on my One X. The thought that I might have to rebuy it didn't even cross my mind.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The BC stuff MS is doing on the One X makes many BC games look like remasters at no cost. The new Series X BC enhancements also look amazing. So for me, it's more "why not both".
they invested a lot of money into that, but also their architecture was way less exotic than what sony had, until PS4 to PS5 devs had to start from square 1 developing vs now, prob one of the better things they did this time around was bring forward a lot of the stuff that was good with PS4.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
And? As long as PS5 is BC with PS4, that's all that people care about. very few people are interested in replaying Metal Gear Solid 1 or Dead Space again on their PS5.
Yep. I can't believe people here actually think playing 20 year old games is a big deal.

get out the message board bubble people

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
If they put a healthy bulk of the PS1, 2, and 3 catalogs on PS Now for download? Bruh, they'd make bank AND please more of their fans. What's the hold up?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Other than MGS4, what else is stranded on PS3 at this point?
You'd be surprised. Of course it depends on your taste but I recently started buying some cheap ps3 games and I realized my list just kept getting longer

Folklore
3D dot game hero
Majin and the forsaken kingdom
ICO (HD)
White Knight Chronicles 2 (which includes a remaster of 1)
Heavenly sword
Resistance trilogy
Killzone trilogy
El Shaddai
All the motostorm games
GoW collection
GoW origins
GoW Ascension

and so much more

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's a bunch of people who still have a bunch of ps3 games in their libraries. why the hell not give them access to those games? there's also a lot of people that would like to play some of the ps3 games because they never had a ps3.

Last edited:

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Jim Ryan is a very good leader for Sony. Sony's 1st party devs continue to put Playstation on their backs but the business suits just keep making stupid decisions.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Other than MGS4, what else is stranded on PS3 at this point?
Folklore
The Ratchet & Clank Future games
Infamous 1 & 2
Killzone 2 & 3
Resistance series
Puppeteer
Little Big Planet 1, 2 & Karting
Modnation Racers
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

And that's excluding 3rd party games & PS2 remaster collections.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
they invested a lot of money into that, but also their architecture was way less exotic than what sony had, until PS4 to PS5 devs had to start from square 1 developing vs now, prob one of the better things they did this time around was bring forward a lot of the stuff that was good with PS4.
I can get that for PS3 but people can get a running PS1 emulator on a Pi3 outside of a few games. It's not honestly that hard.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, a new retro-themed system with modern QoL that didn't have any new games but had full physical BC with PS1-3, along with a digital storefront full of games from those systems would excite me more than any of the new systems are doing.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
How he phrased it sounded like they took PS4 BC and other features as a priority.

Well then if that is the case, then just do PS1,2,3 BC at a later date now that your down with the above.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
Disc support was always a dream but I'm still surprised they don't support the digital PS1 games on the PS Store. That's even "monetizing" BC since you have to purchase them. I think some people speculated that the games would have to be re-licensed or re-rated or something to sell them on a "new" platform, so I guess the cost of that outweighs the potential profit in their eyes.

At any rate, it's clear now that the current iteration of Sony has no interest in this. Until the market forces them to change, or there's a significant shakeup in their personnel, don't assume we'll ever get anything like this. You can build a Retropie for around $90-100 and backup all your discs and play them there. That's what I've done, and hopefully in 3 or 4 years I'll be able to do the same with my PS2 collection on the next iteration of the Raspberry Pi.

Well, you're certainly not gonna run your PS4 discs on the PS5 Digital Edition. I'm sure digital PS4 games will work fine on it.

Yup, the way that article explain BC is weird

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I get that PS2 and 3 emulation might take more effort than it's worth, but you'd think they'd at least support PS1 games. They'd get some goodwill for supporting discs, and make some decent money when 99% of everyone else just buys them from the store.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
The PS3 doesn't surprise me, but no 1 and 2 just reeks of being lazy, but I am not surprised about it anymore.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Wait....you have to REBUY THEM? Seriously? That's....that's Nintendo like

They're completely different releases with different tech. The PS4 ones have upscaling, trophies, and the like while the PS3 ones are just running them normally with some software compensating for the PS2 tech that was removed from later iterations of the PS3 (I'm speculating a bit here, there's probably more to it than that).

For the most part, the titles released were very different as well, so there were only a few you could buy "twice" anyway. The PS2 on PS4 releases were largely Sony's catalog (and a few other heavy supporters like Rockstar and SNK), while PS3 was a pretty random selection of third parties.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
You're joking but most ps360 games look terrible on even a 1080p 40" TV. Especially when the 720p internal resolution drops to maintain FPS.

I disagree -- I'm using the same TV I was in the PS3/X360 days, and they can still look fine. What hasn't aged well are the green/grey/brown games from the first half of that generation.