• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both Thomas and Guy-Manuel are really excellent House producers. Their side projects are all over the place in terms of quality and consistency, but they've done some great stuff.

I recommend checking out the different Roulé (Bangalter's record label) compilations as well, some classic house tracks on those.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RAM is boring and and was completely underwhelming. I loved Homework and Discovery, even enjoyed HAA, but RAM just lacks something special. It's a Daft Punk and Friends album and fails at being just a Daft Punk album.

I wouldn't consider them the best producers out there, they don't do much outside of their own music. Right now the hot producers that are making headway into different genres and receiving accolades are SOPHIE, Jack Antanoff and A.G. Cook.

Daft Punk, for better or worse, are just too inactive to be called best in the word of anything. They need to do a tour, tbh.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The song with todd edwards makes me feel like I'm alone at waffle house and the jukebox is broken and only micheal mcdonald plays out of it"

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RAM still sounds as fresh today as it did when it released. Such a timeless throwback album. The opening track always puts a smile on my face.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah they're awesome. Hearing their tunes on a big bossy sound system is an absolute eargasm. Are they gonna release a new album sometime soon? It's been a while.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah, their production is topnotch and their schtick is entirely unique, from the origin to the fact that they've kept it up this whole time. Most people have never seen their faces outside of a few videos of record producer parties on youtube.

I remember when they were still just adding vinyl scratchie noises to Franz Ferdinand singles. They've come along way.

I wonder why they didnt do an alive 2017 tour? I've been waiting for an awesome remix album of random access memories from them for a while now and that would have been a perfect debut but I guess not?

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
my favourite daft punk song? hard to choose but it's probably something about us followed by touch, aerodynamic, revolution 909 and digital love

there are so many songs of them i love though
bangalter also did some really great solo stuff like ventura

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
80% of People here don't seem to know what is meant when someone talks about the production and mastering of a record.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Touch remains the most a song has ever felt like a straight up journey. The way they layer sounds and tracks and then pull them as the song progresses just creates an incredible sensation of progression.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
They have some very good production. I think as actual disco music something like RAM is pretty dull. I don't know if this is because of the production to me. I listen to Get Lucky and my thought is always that it has lots of bass but no panache to it. The funny thing is despite the upthread comparison to Steely Dan, I think Steely Dan's stuff tends to be overall a lot more interesting and dynamic. I don't think much in the way of Aja being a dance song, though.

Anyway I'm listening to The Crusaders' Street Life ft. Randy Crawford to detox. This, is disco.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Daft Punk make a looooot of boring music (their own recordings, not as producers), I usually find 2 or 3 songs at most that I like out of each one of their albums. The rest sounds like filler to me.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Daft Punk make a looooot of boring music (their own recordings, not as producers), I usually find 2 or 3 songs at most that I like out of each one of their albums. The rest sounds like filler to me.

I felt that way about RAM, but someone sent me a copy of Discovery on vinyl and I actually enjoyed the hell out of it.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Discovery is one of my favourite albums of all time.
I saw them live in 2007 and it's one of the best live experiences of my life, incredible.

The last two albums, while enjoyable, haven't lived up to Discovery for me.

Freezeezy

Banned
Feb 23, 2018
R-136430-1481404839-1193.png.jpg

Daft Punk has such great taste in music. Everything they sampled is awesome.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
RAM was an absolutely flawless album from an engineering standpoint but holy fuck if it's not full of some of the most boring music I've ever heard
Every time a song from RAM comes on shuffle I think "dayum this album went OFF" and then I listen to it and get bored 4 songs in.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never got the hate of RAM, is way different than Homework and Discovery, and that's fine, isn't a hardcore album and isn't supposed to be one.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Autechre is up there imo. Their stuff is always nice to test out speakers/headphones. The way they make their music is mind blowing.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I was listening to RAM sometime when it came out and one of the things that stood out to me was the smoothness and crispness of the recordings. They definitely know what they're doing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know every track on the album has a video like that, and they all flow into one another and tell a coherent story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8&list=PLF230C93EF3BB5AE7

Oh yes I knew that, I watched them all in fact. At the times, when YouTube and such weren't a thing and finding good quality official videos was not an easy task, it was almost a mini-event when MTV or some other music channel started showing the new video of the series, so we could see where the story's headed. Great times.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they only got half decent after collab'ing with the weeknd, and even then, those tracks were memorable because of the weeknd and not because of the production

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I agree that Daft Punk's generally expertly mastered and produced-- though like most people here I find RAM a weird sticking point.

RAM is one of those albums where it's like... I like it but I don't? Giorgio is incredible. Get Lucky is fun as hell. Give Life Back to Music is almost easy listening, in the sense that there's no part of where I'm like "Yeah, the song is popping off now" but it's not at all offensive to the ears. It's pleasurable but it goes nowhere. Touch is fascinating simply because of the fact that it's done by the guy who wrote The Rainbow Connection, and if that's not cool I don't know what is. Lose Yourself To Dance has an undeniably crisp sound but never really resolves into much. Looking over the playlist, there's entire songs that only exist for the amount of time that it takes me to listen to them. Within is the chief example. Instant Crush gamely tries to have a point-- it has a structure, it sounds clean, but at the same time something about it just isn't fun to listen to. Beyond's opening promises something the rest of the song just doesn't deliver on and it's a damn shame. You're getting yourself hyped up for something incredible and then it just never comes. I don't want to hear about how I'm the light behind the clouds right now, I want something worth of that brass section, c'mon! Motherboard is just on the whole very fun-- one of the better songs in that I don't really know how to classify it other than really thoughtful and interesting in general. Fragments of Time does absolutely nothing for me. Same with Doin' It Right. Contact, though-- Contact's the one I always find people sleeping on and I just do not understand. Am I the only one who thought that song was incredible?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Probably a good time to drop this off. So good. Sometimes you don't realize how good a song's melody and structure is until you hear a cover or two.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
discovery might be the album ive listened too the most of any artist

its a really good album to drive to

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Love is in contention for my favorite song of all time.

And Discovery is a Top 10 album. Maybe Top 5 even.