• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
Man, a new F-Zero would be nice, but I don't think it will happen. I think we would be lucky to get a port of a title. They should have ported X to 3DS to create some interest again. Would have been nice in 3D.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Fast RMX is the closest if you look at the presentation, music etc it tries really hard to take from GX they dont go all the way because I feel they still wanted to make something that was different and unique to them. I bet Shin'en could make a new F-Zero
I bought that because I buy anything that even smells like F-zero in hopes of finding one, and Fast RMX did not feel like F-zero. Was too floaty.

Honestly Mario Kart 200cc is the closest I've gotten to the feeling of f-zero.

At some point Miyamoto said that beyond sales, they didn't know what else to do with F-Zero; but it's been 20 years, and even just adding an online 30 player mode to F-Zero GX would be significant enough imo

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think some of us need to pull back from the nostalgia and see if the game would sell well or not. A new Starfox is another. With that said SSwitch has been a huge success so I'd imagine both would do well.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
No rubber banding and you could create the most amazing racing game next to wipeout on ps4. Do it

I think the Switch would be worth trying another F-Zero; if only for the way the Switch seems to do really well at lifting obscure titles to greater awareness than they've ever enjoyed.

I think Nintendo execs like Miyamoto are dead wrong that F-Zero is boring and needs a new gimmick. However, I do think there may be an appeal challenge for the futuristic racer as a concept. That's the real issue for F-Zero; the average person seems attracted to vehicles they identify as cars and go-karts. Sci-fi hovercraft never found much purchase after the novelty of the first couple Wipeout games faded.

So a new F-Zero would have to be a really eye-catching game to get traction.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
At the very least they should re-release it.
I think that would be a start! At the very least we would finally get the reminder of how poorly F-Zero GX sold.
I suppose there is a much bigger base of hardcore Nintendo fans than there were in the GameCube days, but even then the game is a straight racing game and it will not have the broad appeal and kids market that many Nintendo games easily tap into .

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I love F-Zero GX but damn is that game hard as hell to 100 percent. They really went nuts there.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wonders if Nintendo won't do it because they know they can't top GX/AX.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
F-Zero GX was the hardest game i've ever played in my life.

i don't know if keeping the series "challenging" is the best decision for moving units .

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would love this, but it'll never happen because Nintendo doesn't care.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, I just mentioned this in another thread.

F-Zero had it's 30 year anniversary just this past November, and Nintendo didn't even fucking acknowledge it.

For 16 years of those 30, there has been absolutely nothing. It's not happening, it's never happening, and that fucking sucks.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, Switch would be an ideal platform to put out a game like this. This is the best chance another F-Zero has.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I know this would make some people happy but honestly I'd be kinda pissed if they did that. I want a new F-Zero game because I want a new game that plays like F-Zero, not yet another Yakuza game with a new aesthetic skin.
Actually wouldn't mind it, and somewhat makes sense. I mean I think Captain Falcon is far more well known as a heavy brawler from Smash than he is as a character from a futuristic racing game. Would probably perform better than an actual F-Zero, and that would lead the way for a proper racing game. I think with some of their less popular series like F-Zero and Starfox, Nintendo really just need to completely reiterate them and ignore what fans want, because obviously the fans alone aren't enough to make the game's successful. They're niche series for a reason.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
They should make a modest budget battle royale race mode and put it as a Nintendo Switch Online exclusive/free. And then can monetize from there with skins etc.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
as a kid who grew up loving wipeout it's always puzzled me why futuristic racers have just died out. we have the technology to make mind blowing futuristic racers, and it's just not happening

not necessarily sure if this is a nintendo thing more than an overall genre thing

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Even a re-release would be enough for some fans, but with the disney vault-ing of Nintendo content it would be a monkey's paw wish. If all their old games are rewards only dispensed by the rule of Nintendo then that's just annoying.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Hell, I just mentioned this in another thread.

F-Zero had it's 30 year anniversary just this past November, and Nintendo didn't even fucking acknowledge it.

For 16 years of those 30, there has been absolutely nothing. It's not happening, it's never happening, and that fucking sucks.

Closest we got was the F-Zero minigame in Nintendo Land lol. And I guess F-Zero as part of the SNES Classic

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
as a kid who grew up loving wipeout it's always puzzled me why futuristic racers have just died out. we have the technology to make mind blowing futuristic racers, and it's just not happening

not necessarily sure if this is a nintendo thing more than an overall genre thing
You should be happy then, most futuristic racers that come out are pretty much just wipeout. Hell you got Pacer just last year from the people that made wipeout. Nothing close to F-Zero has been made besides one game that is on early access on steam.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Yakuza series, but I'd lay it to rest in exchange for Nagoshi and co. doing F-Zero again, tbh.

It's not up to me, though, for better or worse.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
If this ever happens again, I just think the reveal trailer with Mute City slowly playing in the background while parts of the Blue Falcon are shown would be the coolest thing.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I want to be excited about it, but Nintendo netcode is so awful, I'd probably end up mostly playing it single.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was hard to 100% it but there was plenty of accessible stuff there for people who aren't into that.
I think there will be a problem with motivation to continue playing if people can't progress after a certain point. large swaths of uncompleted stuff can drive people away

That's exactly that though.

Nintendo won't even get Sakura Wars or Yakuza and you expect me to believe he would be up for F-Zero?
since Nintendo would be footing 100% of the bill, of course he'd be up for

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has so much money they don't even know what to do with all the cash. Just do it.

Honestly, they should take advantage of the positive moment and widespread userbase to bring back most of the franchises.

If they don't like risks that much: port GX like they did with Super Mario Sunshine. This can't be too much to ask.