• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
As far as the Senior / Junior comment, I can 100% believe that. There's probably so much churn over there that it's hard to keep people that know their engine well enough to do things as efficiently as they need to the first time. A senior person familiar with their development methodology can probably do a task 3x faster than a junior. This is not to say that the junior is not skilled, just they don't have the same experience working in ND's pipeline, or in game pipelines in general. These things are accounted for in most game dev studios by these things called...producers. That apparently ND doesn't even use.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It's embarrassing. And of course folks are digging through his Twitter history to find ways to discredit him.

C'mon people.

Anything to defend the picture perfect image some people have of ND in their heads. It's extremely embarrassing. No studio gets excused for this kind of shit no matter how good their games are.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
As far as the Senior / Junior comment, I can 100% believe that. There's probably so much churn over there that it's hard to keep people that know their engine well enough to do things as efficiently as they need to the first time. A senior person familiar with their development methodology can probably do a task 3x faster than a junior. This is not to say that the junior is not skilled, just they don't have the same experience working in ND's pipeline, or in game pipelines in general. These things are accounted for in most game dev studios by these things called...producers. That apparently ND doesn't even use.
Yep!
Regarding the junior part, he even goes through the part of saying they are great and that other companies should look for them! It is just that in ALL cases, junior (or even seniors in a new structure) just require some time to adapt and learn how the company works.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
"I only want to work with the best" lol what a thing to say.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was replaced by someone less experienced but much more talented than him.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Sure, but when I say it it's just a "hot take"

really interesting hearing this from him though.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
"While talented, their success is due in large part to Sony's deep pockets funding delays rather than skill alone "

It still reads to me as "They are talented but it's not just their skill"
He literally says in his thread that the Juniors are amazing, but a big problem was that they spend as much time training them as making the game, which is a management issue and has to do with the insanely high turnover rate

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Many times you only realize how terrible a situation was when you can see it from the outside. It gives you perspective.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I'm better holding off my opinion on treads like this, the only thing I can say is, if the studios crunch is bad and if the studios are taking a lot of time on picnic and drinking tea is bad too. Thats for sure the majority of those crunch games are games that make those suffering developers and greedy gamers proud.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if he was replaced by someone less experienced but much more talented than him.
Anything to protect ND am I right?

Not like we've had multiple reports at this point that they've had some clear problems there.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He literally questioned the skill of it's workers. It's not management that that entails.
Jason said the same thing. they had to hire new devs and load up on junior talent and contractor that required months of training.

senior devs seem to have left the company leaving naugthy dog with an inexperienced team. thats what he means by senior team wouldve gotten it done a year ago.

ive seen it happen at my company. all the senior leads left and i had to waste years training new engineers straight out of college because we couldnt find anyone with experience to come work with us. this delayed us even more.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
When you're among the best, I can fully understand why you would want to continue working with the best.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It was one year ago, what could have happened?

Read the fucking twitter thread.
Why could someone who was happy at Naughty God one year ago be happy he left?

Maybe because even if his section was not super crunch time:

Some of his friends were and that made him realize Naughty Dog problems:

Stop trying to defend Naughty Dog. They are just a company that seemingly doesnt care that much about the health of some of their workers.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like his points would come across better of he wasn't so hard trying to paint ND as a bum studio that only delivers because of Sonys endless pockets.
Kinda hurts the overall message when people see it as a disgruntled ex-employee throwing shade.

The points he made about them stand on their own...without the need to downplay what the studios has been accomplishing for years.

Oct 25, 2017
Thread summary:

1) Naughty Dog crunch has gotten them a bad rep in the LA area

2) they're having trouble retaining talent as a result

3) this means less experienced people (like animators) end up getting contracted to do the work

4) this means the games take longer to come out vs. games done by senior people, which further adds to crunch

5) Sony bankrolling and putting up with delays is a big reason why the games ultimately turn out well under these circumstances

Did I get that right?
Yes

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
When he said he's proud to be apart from ND, I thought something was seriously wrong.

Being hospitalized because of a demo? That's fucked up. Doesn't matter how often this happens in the industry, it needs to stop.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No really .
The stage in these games just as big as any open world game.

Also ND really need to do better by there works.
A Carefully curated path with few branches is not the same as go anywhere anytime open world . Not that this is the thread for it , but linear games have those kind of advantages over actual open world games