• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is that shareholder definition of failure that works on a Pass/Fail scale.

"Did you make all the money?"
"No but we exceeded expecta-"
"This product was a failure."

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the fact there is no dual-screen successor says it all.

Even the PS3 was a failure with all the money it lost for Sony.
1. That's how you determine a success? By making new hardware features are abondon ones that don't work anymore. Yeah sure.
2. PS3 cost Sony way more while the 3DS made a profit at the end of the day.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you know this? Last I heard the3DS wasn't dead, so there's no successor to announce. They've said Switch won't replace dedicated handhelds, so you can take this assumption off the table.

This thread: PS4 is best, everyone else can go home. Hot Take: The Thread.

Except y'know, Sony and their anti-consumer stance certainly hasn't been a success.i guess were only talking consoles sold tho

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Read:

Even the PS3 was a failure with all the money it lost for Sony.
But they didn't lose money in the long run with the 3DS, just that year? Not like the PS3 in that respect.

And the reason the 3DS fell so short of the DS was hugely in part due to the rise of mobile. That's not a failure, that's the market shifting. That's why the Switch is hybrid.

Also in what world are NES and SNES Classic failures

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Switch is not included via the OP's rules because reasons

Sony thoroughly whooped Xbox but I wouldn't call the Xbox One a failure either.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I disagree in the same sense that Sony turned things around with the PS3 but still lost loads of money.

The losses aren't even close to comparable. 3DS was a very profitable product over its lifetime.

Note: I am not including the Nintendo Switch with regards to the thread title so don't bother.

This is complete semantics. Your premise is unsupported so you've just excluded any data that's convenient for you to exclude.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

I forgot because my original thread title was naming each platform but instead I went with everything but PS4. Woops, that didn't work as expected considering Nintendo classic consoles.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
But they didn't lose money in the long run with the 3DS, just that year? Not like the PS3 in that respect.

And the reason the 3DS fell so short of the DS was hugely in part due to the rise of mobile. That's not a failure, that's the market shifting. That's why the Switch is hybrid.

Oct 27, 2017
Also he includes PS Classic but ignores NES and SNES Classic - how do you even achieve these levels of mental gymnastic?

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
The 3DS isn't a failure. It made a ton of money.

PS Classic but not NES/SNES Classic is incredible cherry picking.

This thread is top message-board failure material.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note: I am not including the Nintendo Switch with regards to the thread title so don't bother.

laptop_chimp.jpg

But wikipedia says it's 8th gen...

Kind of unfair to Sony & Microsoft to let Switch be considered 9th gen, that gives Nintendo such a head start.

IzzyRX