• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spicynun

Jul 19, 2020
Do people still hate on Majoras mask for being the "black sheep"? It always seemed like people opinions on that game turned around. Another game that comes to mind is mario sunshine. I will defend that game to the end but it has a lot of haters.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised OP didn't use Skyward Sword as an example.

Anyways, I feel like Other M and Sticker Star are nearly in the same boat as DMC2. You'll only really at most have people say they had fun with it but not nearly the peak of the series or as good as they should've been.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I have a older brother that loves DMC2. I have absolutely no idea what he likes about it but I've watched him replay it multiple times when we were growing up. He also likes Xenosaga 2 and I despise both of those games lol

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Devil May Cry 2 is the most aesthetically pleasing DMC with the best Dante design... The gameplay is trash though I agree.

Iconic. Fashionable. Just powerful.
latest

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe not terrible games, but I don't think anyone would defend Dragon Quest II

Dragon Quest 2 was really good at the time. THREE party members instead of just one (and how you get the princess is pretty neat), enemy parties, and a drastically bigger world. I'll agree that it has long since been surpassed and there's a lot of cheapness near the end (which is pretty standard for the era), but I'd rather play DQ2 than DQ1.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I would argue Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel has no defenders. Ok... I guess I saw one once. But almost everyone else in Fallout at best ignores that that even exists and refuses to even consider it part of the series (even Tactics has its defenders and I'd say I see a decent amount of people enjoy 76 and call it a Fallout). It's been so disowned most people forget it even exists (even if they knew it did).

Meta

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
I think BotW is a good game, but I enjoy playing Zelda 2 more than BotW 🤷

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I'd defend DMC2 before I'd defend Other M or something like Castlevania: Judgment. I will, however, fist fight anyone over Arkham Origins. That one has a better story than City or Knight, and the detective work/reconstructions are great.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd defend DMC2 before I'd defend Other M or something like Castlevania: Judgment. I will, however, fist fight anyone over Arkham Origins. That one has a better story than City or Knight, and the detective work/reconstructions are great.
Agreed about Origins. It's certainly rough in several places no doubt but I also really loved the story in that game. Boss fights as well were all round pretty great - way better than whatever the heck Arkham Knight was trying to do that's for sure.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I thought peace walker is as praised as any other entry in the series, maybe you mean portable ops?

Also, does anyone like god of war ascension?
I like it. I think it's misunderstood, they at least did something different and the game mechanics works.
Perhaps it's not as good as the other games but it's close.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I don't think I've ever seen someone defend Ninja Gaiden 3 vanilla. I've seen Razor's Edge be defended (though it's still ass), but never vanilla.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does Metroid: Other M have any defenders at this point?
Fuck yes it does.

Samus has never felt more speedy or powerful. Having her pick up monsters before crushing them with brute strength or shoving her Arm Canon down their throats before she blows them up from the inside? I fucking loved it.

Honestly very few games make me feel like a woman is a weapon of sheer devastation like Other M was able to.

Story was indeed woeful but given Sakamoto was trying to go for the Father/Daughter angle like that of Goku/Gohan, I was going to hate it no matter the quality.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i thought DMC2 was okay-ish at the time but i only played it off and on in my girlfriend's dorm, and "character action" isn't really my genre

watching that dunkey (i think it was dunkey?) DMC2 video it looks downright abysmal but hindsight and all that

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen someone defend Ninja Gaiden 3 vanilla. I've seen Razor's Edge be defended (though it's still ass), but never vanilla.
There's not much to defend there. From a gameplay standpoint it's a downgrade from NGB and NG2 in every way and the story, which unlike the previous 3d games was a big part of the marketing, well...

Laughable is too mild a word to describe it.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Boring but true answer is if an "universally despised outlier" game in an otherwise beloved franchise actually exists, it's gotta be something nobody even counts as part of the franchise like the Zelda CDi games or something.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Super Mario Sunshine - when the Mario 3D collection came out for Switch, it was talked about like the bastard child at a family reunion.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I dislike Peace Walker. Only mainline MG/MGS I never finished.

Devil May Cry 2 really doesn't deserve to be defended. It is bad in almost every way imaginable. By far the worst game in that otherwise good franchise.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I can say two good things about DMC2:

1) Playable Trish was a good idea (even though it's a pain to unlock her).

2) DMC2's supreme awfulness may have contributed to the supreme excellence of DMC3 by planting seeds that would later inspire the devs.

For the record, I don't think Dante's DMC2 design is that great. He looks much better in DMC1.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
One of my best friends back in the day married a girl who loved DMC2 cause she could run around and kill everything and feel real strongk.

They are divorced now.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen anyone defend Deus Ex: Invisible War. Personally, I don't mind the game so much when I look at it in retrospect, but yeah, hard to find anyone defend that one.
I liked it!

It was also my first ever "immersive sim" type game so having any choices and being able to take different routes was pretty awesome as a mostly console player at the time.
I also liked exploring the nooks and crannies for secrets, like a dart gun that lit people on fire.

Story wasn't great (especially the ending(s)), and the performance was horrendous on the original Xbox, but there really wasn't anything like it at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Majora's Mask hasn't been the outlier since 2004.
Do people still hate on Majoras mask for being the "black sheep"? It always seemed like people opinions on that game turned around...
It has a passionate and very vocal cult following within enthusiast spaces, but it's not at all hard to find lots of Zelda fans who find it to be an overly bizarre, obtuse, and rushed experience that doesn't quite match up to the likes of most mainline Zelda games.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
No one is defending code veronica either, or at least I hope no one does.

I was a Dreamcast kid so I like Code Veronica.

One of my best friends back in the day married a girl who loved DMC2 cause she could run around and kill everything and feel real strongk.

They are divorced now.

I shouldn't laugh but that is pretty funny.

On topic, does Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness have any defenders? I was (and still am) a big Tomb Raider fan and I remember going to a friend's house to play it on his PS2. Think we played for about 15 minutes before giving up.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Played both paths in DMC 2; its so bland. Like, uneventful. Dreadful areas. Terrible music. Out of morbid curiousity everyone should play it.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has a passionate and very vocal cult following within enthusiast spaces, but it's not at all hard to find lots of Zelda fans who find it to be an overly bizarre, obtuse, and rushed experience that doesn't quite match up to the likes of most mainline Zelda games.
I think more people would say that about Triforce Heroes.

Just saying, there are other Zeldas that are more of an outlier.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The seller at the store told me that this was the best game of the trilogy. It was the first time I felt scammed in my life.