• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Topic

• Yes

Votes: 404 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 621 42.5%
  • Yes but it was a mobile game

Votes: 177 12.1%
  • Yea a multiplayer game

Votes: 235 16.1%
  • Yes a rogue like

Votes: 25 1.7%

• Total voters

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
Genshin

Come to conclusion I ain't got time to be grinding dailies and resin refills for miniscule items. I'll just wait till beefy content and go on every now and then.
Welkin probably the best thing of the game now. Battle pass needs to be upgraded. Shits basically a dinosaur now

psionotic

May 29, 2019
This was a looooong time ago, but my best friend and I were hopelessly addicted to Heroes of Might and Magic III. My solution was to go cold turkey and delete it, his was to use cheat codes to make it so easy it was no longer interesting. Finally, we were freed.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Destiny 2 - I've played almost 300 hours and have nothing to show for it. Honestly, the game pisses me off because you're constantly stuck in a never ending grind. Thankfully I have no desire to ever touch that game again. It's the worst GAAS game out there - although the core gameplay is very good.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Clash Royale, I hate gaming on mobile but I played a few hours of this game and was addicted, deleted after a few days.

Oct 27, 2017
I've more or less cut FIFA out of my life because it gives me so much more time for other games. My palette has never been so varied and it's precisely because I'm using that time to experiment with Game Pass or play a new release.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Genshin Impact

this game is dangerous. Honestly gacha games should be banned.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
No, because I have never been addicted to a game. There are games I've played every day for long periods, but never to the point of it being a problem... I've never gone without sleep, food or drink because of a game. Maybe this is because I've only played single player games.
Yeah online games are definitely the bigger issue for most people. I used to play WoW and the original Dota (i.e. the Warcraft 3 mod) for hundreds of hours. Particularly games like Dota have that hook that every single match is different and it's constant battle and trying to learn how to better adapt and interpret the other players' actions to beat them. It's really thrilling all the time. It's like constant dopamine rush.

Games like WoW are different. They have a huge amount of content to hook you in, but the end game is about community (raiding with your guild) and loot. It's exciting to get always a bit further. It never fully stops. Once you get the hardest bosses killed, you'll need to do it again and again to get yourself the very best gear and get your guild fully equipped. Then at that point there's probably more content coming up soon already.

It depends a lot on the nature of the person too though.

I didnt mean to come across with an air of superiority but you are correct in that uninstalling signals that person does have some self control.
Thanks for reply. Hard to gauge posts in Internet so wasn't sure how you meant it, but yeah that's fair.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Back in college, I would have to delete Crimsonland in order to get some work done (only to reinstall it later and continue the cycle)

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
No but I have deleted games on extremely rare occasions because I become too invested and competitive in them. Overwatch was the last one a few years ago, it got to the point I would get quite angry quite often if I was playing poorly or my team mates weren't playing well.

I deleted it as soon as I recognised it was becoming a problem and was affecting me. I went back after a long break and never had the same problem.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I had to delete XCom 2 WOTC when I started a fourth campaign in as many weeks and played until 3 in the morning. I love that game, but it had been destroying my sleep for a month straight at that point. I'm usually pretty good at resisting one-more-turn-and-then-go-to-bed games, but not this one.

That's probably the only game that had that effect. I'll play a lot of Elden Ring when it releases later this month for example, but not to the point of missing sleep. That XCom 2 situation was weird.

Last edited:

kauec

Chicken Chaser
Dec 27, 2017
Brazil
Overwatch and then Apex (and a few mmo here and there) almost ruined my life. I got literally addicted, and even spent a huge amount of money. I managed to quit playing Apex this year and made a promise to never again play a game with predatory monetization and season passes. Also, because of FOMO I couldn't play other games, and now I have a huge and nice backlog of single player games I intend to play AND HAVING FUN doing it, which for a long time I didn't had while playing games.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Hearthstone
Deleted it multiple times, came back to it and told my wife to never let me play it again.

Nov 29, 2018
Dota 2. I was just not having fun with it anymore and it was slowly eroding my friendships with the people I played it with. I just had to uninstall and just avoid voice chat whenever they were playing.

teemoisfun

Mar 19, 2021
Brazil
I stopped playing League at the end of 2020. I had put 230 *days* of gameplay in it, just in a span of 8 years. That's more than 5K hours

Riot Games' games are the most addictive.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
100 times this. Only game I've told my wife to never ever let me play again.

3 things finally got me to quit:

- Spending $80 on some digital gear that I subsequently blew up in an attempt to upgrade it further (Everything about this was my lowest moment ever lol)

- Realizing that maintaining this daily event quest that was going on at the time made the game feel more like a job than me actually having fun

- And me looking at an opportunity to get this really good gear for free in-game, only to realize that in order to get it as soon as possible, I would have to do a daily quest for an entire year, a literal 365 days, got me fucked up

Uninstalling it was the biggest relief ever, I did everything and then some while playing this game, enough that I never need to bother with another MMO ever again

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played EverQuest since 2000, I still get the jones for it a couple of times a year. Wish I had forced myself to uninstall it even sooner.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
No.
Same for demanding for bans etc, I find it odd.
If I enjoy something I will continue doing so.
But ofcoourse if your hobby is destroying your life I would try and get help.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Games I had to uninstall due to addiction:
League of Legends
Destiny 1

League of legends, makes me angry, toxic and feel like i'm 12 years again as I get insanely immersed in the game.
This right here. I also had to go to "virtual counseling" to learn how to quit LoL (basically watched youtube vids and blogs telling LoL addicts how to quit). I was so hooked. I really did have a lot of fun and still miss it sometimes even though its been years

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Yes, an Idolm@ster mobile game. I sank an embarrassing amount of money into rolling for a limited Kanade Hayami card and didn't even get it. So I deleted and haven't looked back. I became a better person without its grindy events and garbage drop rates.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Clash Royale on mobile.
It really got its hook into me to a surprising degree and I spent $100 on MTX in the first few days.
I didn't trust myself (as I originally planned not to indulge) so I ended up deleting it.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Several, for example, Warframe. A familiar game, something you can go back to when you're not wanting to think too much and just grind something out, be a space ninja for a bit.

A game that never ends and that it's always there with something else for you to do.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Think I might need to delete rainbow six siege. I don't even play conpetively just quick match and I feel like o don't have an addictive personality but it's really been my go to. Just curious if folks have had to do this
Back in 1999 when I got my first PlayStation I had to learn self discipline to enjoy it.

The day I got it, I played for 12 hours and promptly burned out the laser in the console (I only had Air Combat and Actua Soccer too, so not a big collection). Returned it under warranty and got another, burned that one out too over a week.

I distinctly remember with my third PlayStation I rationed myself to 1 hour of play, then 1 hour doing something else, then 1 hour of play again. Eventually I got into a more healthy gaming habit 😅

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Did this with World of Warcraft twice. Once during Burning Crusade which is when I started college (and it was affecting my academic performance). Once again about halfway thru the lifetime of WotLK -- mostly because I was starting to feel afraid that I was letting myself get way into WoW too much again. During the time that I had WotLK uninstalled, I just refocused and committed to having a better life balance with it and came back and started raiding. Pretty much only logged on to do weekly raids with my guild during that time.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Most ongoing games get me (surprisingly Blizzard). Diablo 2/3, Median XL, Starcraft 1/2, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm.

Other than that, I usually play games with defined endings, so at worst I'll play until the platinum. But usually finishing it once is enough.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I quit Everquest after the beta because I thought it would make me fail university, FF11 because it consumed every hour of my free time, WoW around cataclysm and Destiny 2 for putting pressure on my relationship and later marriage. Special mention to Monster Hunter World for making me burn out on it to the point I couldn't start it up even when I wanted to.

Sep 29, 2020
Not addicted but every once in a while I play a single game a lot (well, a lot for me as I can only play a couple of hours per day at most) and realize that I'm only grinding levels or In game cash or whatever and not having any fun. That's when I just delete it, usually I come to that realization pretty soon.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Never deleted one due to an addiction. I have deleted games that I was enjoying, but they were also bringing me far too much frustration playing them, so I had to give them up.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Football manager I like it but it's too time consuming and I get really into it. I bought the new one for this year after not touching the series in like 8 years and deleted after a few hours because I refuse to get sucked back in.

OP
OP
xir

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Back in 1999 when I got my first PlayStation I had to learn self discipline to enjoy it.

The day I got it, I played for 12 hours and promptly burned out the laser in the console (I only had Air Combat and Actua Soccer too, so not a big collection). Returned it under warranty and got another, burned that one out too over a week.

I distinctly remember with my third PlayStation I rationed myself to 1 hour of play, then 1 hour doing something else, then 1 hour of play again. Eventually I got into a more healthy gaming habit 😅
I played re4 on release without stopping until I had to switch discs and when I stood up I almost peed myself. I had to walk hunched over to e bathroom. Sad

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
RuneScape had a very unhealthy hold on me when I was younger and I think that was the first and last instance I really had to pull the plug like that. Gave my account away just to really make sure I couldn't go back. I've returned to it maybe 3 times as an adult and I bounced back off quickly each time.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
I have away my World of Warcraft account to some random guy on Counter Strike Source back in the day because I was unhappy with how much it dominated my life

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
Ultima Online because I legit chose it over my nephew's 1st birthday and CS 1.6 because I was just spending far too much time on it!

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
The original EverQuest.
after about 3 months of play I looked at my play time and deleted it.

haven't allowed myself to get into an MMO since. I was so cautious when checking out WoW. I knew I was only playing it to check out systems and design etc.

Oct 28, 2017
Did it with Hearthstone. Simply started to lead to more frustration than fun. I could feel myself getting more annoyed doing the day. It wasn't good for me.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i deleted Returnal after getting the platinum or i woulda never got to other games

Sifu unlocks tonight and i still probably woulda played Returnal first

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They Are Billions was taking up too much of my time. Having hours of work undone in seconds

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
No, I typically lose interest in something before uninstalling or deleting it.

There's been a few mobile games I noticed I played largely because it was routine, like, I'd go through the same "dailies" every day without hardly playing. I guess that can sorta be a form of addiction, but I don't know. Nowadays there's only three mobile games I play, two of which I play primarily on PC (Genshin Impact and Honkai Impact 3rd).

I find the line between "addiction" and "I'm bored of this" to be very thin in my experience, and often times addiction burns itself out on its own without me needing to take any extra steps like deleting the game.

Sims 4 is a good example - I installed that, played it for hours every day for about... 5 days? Then I stopped cause I lost interest, and uninstalled it after not playing for a month or so. Chances are I'll repeat that process again before Sims 5 comes out too :p