• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
They might feel NES, SNES and GB/GBC is enough for the standard sub and charge a one off fee for something like the N64 app on top of it all. Either that or you get charged on a game by game bases within the N64 app similar to the Virtual Console. Maybe I'm being cynical there though and future consoles will be released in the same style as seen with the NES and SNES games.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They might feel NES, SNES and GB/GBC is enough for the standard sub and charge a one off fee for something like the N64 app on top of it all. Either that or you get charged on a game by game bases within the N64 app similar to the Virtual Console. Maybe I'm being cynical there though and future consoles will be released in the same style as seen with the NES and SNES games.
The technological limit in which it can be done with an app like the ones we have is probably N64 / GBA.

As of Game Cube, games are too big to have an entire library installed in a single application.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I hardly ever post in any single party threads for any company because I have really jaded and unpopular opinions. And getting dogpiled by fans is the last thing I want because I'm very thin skinned and sensitive.

I legit thought my sentiment about not expecting much from their legacy offerings was a popular opinion. Had I known otherwise I would've kept my mouth shut because now I feel upset.
It's a pretty common opinion about it, most of the starting titles have been pretty decent, it's the later additions that are usually really miss though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's a pretty common opinion about it, most of the starting titles have been pretty decent, it's the later additions that are usually really miss though.
If it is the same as SNES, it will have about 80% of its big first party games on day 1.

People complain when these run out (because there are a very limited number of them) and Nintendo starts adding more unknown games, because the known ones are from Konami, Square Enix and the others

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is my prediction for launch titles

Alleyway
Balloon Kid
Blaster Master: Enemy Below
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Land
Game & Watch Gallery
Gargoyle's Quest
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario's Picross
Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge
Metal Gear Solid
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Pocket Bomberman
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land III: Wario Land
Super R.C. Pro-Am
The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX

I think these aren't too crazy given the launch line ups of NES & SNES.
I know people will say "but the Links Awakening Remake". I don't really think it matters that much.
The Mega Man GB games haven't been part of any collection unlike NES & SNES so that's why I listed it.
I also based the 3rd party stuff on the volume of the last 2 launch line ups and the 3rd parties that seem to be cool with releasing games on the service

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
It seems you didn't play enough GB/GBC games, because there are a lot of fantastic 1st party games to try.

Kirby 1&2
Kid Icarus 2
Mole Mania
Pokemon Puzzle League
Metroid 2
Super Mario Land 2&3
Wario Land 2&3
Donkey Kong Land 1&2&3
Mario's Picross
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Super Mario Bros Deluxe

Of all those games, only PPL and maybe SMBD are worth playing today. The rest absolutely do not hold up or were completely surpassed in subsequent iterations.

I guarantee that the overwhelming reaction a month after release will be disappointment and talk of how these games just aren't worth playing in 2021. This isn't the SNES.

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't even complaining about the games they add. More so the systems. Because its taken them this long just to add Game Boy and Game Boy Color.

I actually think the NES and SNES games they offer are pretty decent. But I already own most of them physically. The ones I don't own like Mother 1 and 2 are noticeably missing though. But still I think $20 a year to play these classic NES and SNES games is a pretty good deal. I'm just disappointed its been so long since they've added other systems.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Both games are shoe-ins imo. Yeah there's a Switch version of Link's Awakening they'd rather hock but it's been out for several years now, I doubt making the Game Boy version free* (as part of an NSO membership) would eat much into its sales. They're different enough anyway that I can't imagine anyone being interested in LA Switch would go "nah, the 30-year-old Game Boy version is free, I'll skip it." Wouldn't be shocked if they only released the original GB version too to make the Switch version look more appealing.

Same with Metroid II. The 3DS Samus Returns isn't even on Switch so it has nothing to compete with. With Dread on the way and very openly being labeled "Metroid V" in promotional material, they'll likely want as much of the mainline series represented on Switch before it launches.

The Link's Awakening remake will be two years old this month, so it hasn't been out for several years. There's a precedent with Samus Returns's situation being Fire Emblem Echoes, Fire Emblem Gaiden still hasn't released on NSO when Echoes like SR also came out in 2017, besdies Gaiden the only Fire Emblem title missing is Thracia 776 which will probably come out later since it's the only SFC title missing, the fourth game was added somewhat recently.

This is my prediction for launch titles

Alleyway
Balloon Kid
Blaster Master: Enemy Below
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Land
Game & Watch Gallery
Gargoyle's Quest
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario's Picross
Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge
Metal Gear Solid
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Pocket Bomberman
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land III: Wario Land
Super R.C. Pro-Am
The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX

I think these aren't too crazy given the launch line ups of NES & SNES.
I know people will say "but the Links Awakening Remake". I don't really think it matters that much.
The Mega Man GB games haven't been part of any collection unlike NES & SNES so that's why I listed it.
I also based the 3rd party stuff on the volume of the last 2 launch line ups and the 3rd parties that seem to be cool with releasing games on the service

Outside of Metroid, Zelda and Mega Man(not sure about Metal Gear Solid either), I think those could be making it, also Japan would probably get games like Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru too.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question: would it?

It's $20 a year for what is now a large lineup of NES and SNES games including the majority of first party Nintendo titles for both of those consoles. If they sold them separately, you'd be looking at that same price for three SNES games.
And also people would inevitably complain about Nintendo selling us Super Mario Bros. on yet another platform.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they would make online/local multiplayer work. Would be worth it for that alone.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'll believe it when I see it. I've wanted a new NSO system for SO LONG.

Gimme that Mario Land 2 and all the Wario games. And Pokémon Pinball.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question: would it?

It's $20 a year for what is now a large lineup of NES and SNES games including the majority of first party Nintendo titles for both of those consoles. If they sold them separately, you'd be looking at that same price for three SNES games.
And also people would inevitably complain about Nintendo selling us Super Mario Bros. on yet another platform.

I'm talking purely optional here, not either/or. Options are always a good thing IMO.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
Of all those games, only PPL and maybe SMBD are worth playing today. The rest absolutely do not hold up or were completely surpassed in subsequent iterations.

I guarantee that the overwhelming reaction a month after release will be disappointment and talk of how these games just aren't worth playing in 2021. This isn't the SNES.
List of people you should take game recommendations from:
-Plinko
-others

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
There's being realistic and being ridiculous. The GB/GBC NSO library, and future platforms, will have Nintendo first-party titles released over time. Some will be bangers, some will be Urban Champion. Most big third-parties will avoid the service in favor of their own collection releases and other plans.
Urban Champion is one of the sizable number of first party NES games that still aren't available in the NSO app.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nope. It's boring. Completely overrated and the controls feel floaty.

I mean, you're totally entitled to that opinion.

You just need to know that it's an unpopular one and that SML2 is largely considered one of the great handheld games. So to try and make an argument about Game Boy's lineup not being that good and using that as an example... won't work well.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we eventually get the Donkey Kong Country Gameboy Color port, Funky Fishing is my kind of garbage

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no probably paying an annual sub for retro games on the NSO. I already own several of these games and plenty of them more than one copy/version. The NSO allows me the convenience of playing these games where ever I want without having to use old hardware all of the time.

RennanNT

Dec 2, 2020
The technological limit in which it can be done with an app like the ones we have is probably N64 / GBA.

As of Game Cube, games are too big to have an entire library installed in a single application.
DS would also fit in a single app.

As for GC, they could just list the games in the app and the user can download/archive any game they want to. They could also split into multiple apps with 15~20 games each.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you're totally entitled to that opinion.

You just need to know that it's an unpopular one and that SML2 is largely considered one of the great handheld games. So to try and make an argument about Game Boy's lineup not being that good and using that as an example... won't work well.
Even if it was a great game, what does that make? 3? The library just isn't good. I hope people get enjoyment out of it but I'm fully expecting people to be disappointed because of their nostalgia.

I wouldn't argue this for SNES, GBA, Genesis, or others. The GB/GBC library just doesn't match up today. There isn't much reason to play because they just aren't that fun outside of a few. It's fun to look at in a, "Hey I remember that" way.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
There probably aren't any Gameboy games I would put extended time into these days. I think I would just look at the list of titles available on NSO, find something familiar, play it for maybe 10-15 minutes to get a fix of nostalgia, and that would be that. Still cool to have these games on there though.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Urban Champion is one of the sizable number of first party NES games that still aren't available in the NSO app.
That blows my mind since they seem to re-release that shitty game any chance they get
The 3D Classics version on 3DS is even a full blown remake from the ground up. All that effort for such a horrible game, who knows why

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was a great game, what does that make? 3? The library just isn't good. I hope people get enjoyment out of it but I'm fully expecting people to be disappointed because of their nostalgia.

I wouldn't argue this for SNES, GBA, Genesis, or others. The GB/GBC library just doesn't match up today. There isn't much reason to play because they just aren't that fun outside of a few. It's fun to look at in a, "Hey I remember that" way.
Given how many people here keep talking about good games they enjoyed on the system, the problem is less people all collectively misremembering the quality of these games and more your tastes just being different.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the Game Boy, which lasted on the market for as long as it did, only had like three games that were ever worth playing.

What.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 lineup, baby!

gameboygameszjkpd.png

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the Game Boy library's definitely got more legitimately good stuff than the N64 library

and a lot of the good third party games were made by weird little companies that don't exist anymore, so getting those on NSO might be pretty easy

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
I hope it has pokemon rby and gsc with HOME support but the chances of that are zero. IF they ever come to switch it will be separated on their own release, sadly

hopefully pokemon pinball, puzzle league and TCG happen, though. The megaman gameboy games would be nice too since Capcom won't rerelease them for shit

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
the Game Boy library's definitely got more legitimately good stuff than the N64 library

and a lot of the good third party games were made by weird little companies that don't exist anymore, so getting those on NSO might be pretty easy

Or really hard. It can be challenging to find the owner of some of those obscure titles when the company went out of business 20 years ago.