• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

EA tackles FIFA 21 toxicity by pulling one of the most annoying celebrations in the game

EA has launched a fresh bid to tackle toxicity in its FIFA games - and in doing so has pulled one its most annoying cel…

EA Sports has confirmed it has pulled the Shush and A-OK celebrations from the game - and warned more changes are to come.

We were told by the community that there's toxic behaviours in the game and we wanted to make sure we removed them," Rivera said. "So we removed some of the celebrations that people thought were not the best idea to have in the game.

Throw me into toxic pit if old.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As a Real Madrid fan I love the Shush! I can see where theyre coming from but toxic players will just move on to the next thing. Hopefully the rest of the changes are thorough, playing Fifa online has always been a letdown for me.

a12271c30e12bd21bb3c5cda150071f5.jpg

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I understand the connotations with A-OK sign, so that makes sense, but is shush problematic? Footballers do that all gesture the time IRL.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
They've added Mbappe's fake crying this year instead so everyone will just switch to that instead. So this move was essentially meaningless

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Real Madrid fan I love the Shush! I can see where theyre coming from but toxic players will just move on to the next thing. Hopefully the rest of the changes are thorough, playing Fifa online has always been a letdown for me.

Raul is still my favorite player ever and that shush is iconic. This is kind of a silly move.. purple will just find something else to replace it.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
More changes to come. No crowd noise or clapping. We will only allow jazz hands.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at this being considered toxic. Why not remove the things that are actually toxic such as some of the really racist be a pro creations. It's been 5+ years of this shit and they've never bothered preventing this.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Good call on EA's part, I think. Shushing in real life may be funny or iconic or whatever but that isn't the reason people are using it online. So yeah, good riddance. And of course same (more so, even) to the other one.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So basically when people will start using anything to be toxic, devs will remove it, and it just will keep going on...?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Raúl was a cunt but the shush should stay. It's classic banter and everyone loves to hate it

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The A-Ok one I'm fine with its potential reason for removal, and the changes to avoid time-wasting seem good, but removing the Shush is a bit overkill. If being are using it to waste more time, just have it locked in as a celebration of its own instead of seemingly being a "transistion celebration".

Oct 28, 2019
Will I really enjoy FIFA anymore if I don't get to play against 14 year olds chugging cans of Monster energy who dab on you at the half-way line

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
A year ago EA started off FIFA 19 by allowing people to skip replays whether they scored or conceded. Then randomly EA reversed it like a week into the game. If you want people to stop being toxic, allow people to skip replays and celebrations. They are dumb. The constant shushing back and forth is dumb. Also stop putting rewards into the game which are celebrations that last a full minute and serve no other purpose than to increase toxicity. Seriously there are celebrations that mime cats and fish that last I swear two full minutes. I might as well go take a crap if I concede.

For all those who can't handle the shush celebration:

6d391b13a2cdbfb3def6f5c5230272d10961c4e757711eaaae1b427f11a08dc4_1.gif

It's just a waste of time? It's essentially tea bagging someone after you kill them in a competitive shooter.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I doubt most people are that arsed about celebrations used.

I've seen some insane vitriol via messages though. They should do other things, like perma ban players who send abuse, whether it's inside or outside of the game. Its the only way to get at some people.. take their toys off them.

Fwiw I think tantrums and people getting too invested in their wins are both equally stupid and hilarious but if they want to clean things up - do something serious.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Fifa is certainly full of toxic players but I don't think celebrations are a problems. Makes the eventual win all the sweeter when someone gives it all that.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just make it skippable in online by either player (not both) and keep it offline.

Online games being dragged out just to annoy the opponent are an issue. At least it was when I still played Fifa online.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Is Robben's celebration in it? Iconic to me but being a United fan it is for the wrong reasons lol

Also, I understand removing the A-Ok one unfortunately, but shush is peak wind up banter.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Taunting is like one of the best things to do in football. If you can't take it like a grown person, we truly are doomed...