• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much better cut. I can't believe people were actually defending Valve taking 30% in the other thread.

Competition is good.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going how fast Epic works on Fortnite and making it better, I won't be shocked that they'll be able catch up with Steam when it comes to user interface and convenience in a year or so

I think the bigger blow is how they won't ask for UE royalties when sold on their store. Pretty ballsy move and in line on how Epic makes decision these days

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
From the interview:
Does the store have any sort of achievement system?

Not at launch, but we're working on these kinds of features.

What sort of exclusive games are going to come to this platform? Is exclusivity something you are thinking about?

Epic's own games are exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC and Mac, and we'll sometimes fund developers to release games exclusively through the store.
So it doesn't even have achievements (never mind the other dozen features Steam has over its purported competitors), but they are still planning to pay developers to enforce exclusivity on it.

From the perspective of a customer, that's very meh. Yay "competition"!

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Good for developers, but gamers won't care if if Epic let developers keep 88% of their revenue. I want to use the launcher with most benefits and features, and Steam is by far the most superior launchers when it comes to that.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So its wierd to compare a company that is outright declaring itself a Steam Competitor to Steam's features? Itch.io isnt marketing itself as a steam-killer. Also every other store doesn't even work to get 5 years of Steam's feature set, much less 15 years. And yet Steam is always the 'lazy' one.

Steam still has the only real store-wide no questions asked refund policy. Where is Epics?

If that's too hard for them well maybe they shouldn't have done this.
Why should we, here, be the ones to make a move in the hope they catch up ?

When I was thinking "15-year feature set" I was thinking of more esoteric things like an input hardware abstraction layer and in-home streaming, admittedly. The revenue split can matter a lot to me for certain purchases so I could absolutely see myself weighing that higher than Steam's more out-there features, but I totally understand expecting things like a matching refund policy.

And when it comes to those core features I certainly expect Epic to match them, but I can't blame others for being skeptical.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Ahh yes more fucking exclusives. Why does every store continue to do this. Be a addition to steam not a deterrent, and you can grow way quicker. such as uPlay, but really?

How many we up to now? BNET, Galaxy GOG, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic, Glyph, Discord. How many more launchers/accounts do I need to have before everyone is satisfied?

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
In what way do they need to "step up"?

Some of the posts in here would be hilarious if they weren't so ignorant.
I have a hard time believing any of these drive-by "competition is good" posters are actually active PC gamers.
It's Steam's competitors that should be stepping up in ways that are beneficial to the consumers.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I can't believe people were actually defending Valve taking 30% in the other thread.

Perhaps because it's the industry standard?

At least until now it was. But Epic isn't even offering 12% of the features that Steam offers. At least not yet. If Epic expands their client with plenty of useful features, then we're talking.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I pretty much scratch my head and say "okay but what about the consumer, the PC player?" You hear devs going "why should so and so dev/studio get an easy payout but not me" or "we should be compensated more". I understand that and in that part I agree. However, have you noticed anything on what a dev says or a company opening a games store says about how the consumer benefits from this so called "competition"? Yeah, me neither. I wonder if Epic will also allow devs to generate keys to sell on other stores for free cuz if not, that's definitely gonna affect sales that benefit the consumer.
my guess is they're hoping to get a younger audience whose used to their launch via fortnite to start spending money on other games

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Much better cut. I can't believe people were actually defending Valve taking 30% in the other thread.

Competition is good.

How is it good for us when it means more expensive games ?
Why cant you believe it when people provided you arguments you may not have even bothered to read or reply to ?

When I was thinking "15-year feature set" I was thinking of more esoteric things like an input hardware abstraction layer and in-home streaming, admittedly. The revenue split can matter a lot to me for certain purchases so I could absolutely see myself weighing that higher than Steam's more out-there features, but I totally understand expecting things like a matching refund policy.

And when it comes to those core features I certainly expect Epic to match them, but I can't blame others for being skeptical.

Trust me, the revenue split matters a lot. Not in the way you think though.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The store wasn't created with third party games in mind. If they knew how successful Steam would be today, they would have.
COD & Destiny are not technically 3rd party for Acti-Blizzard, but i just don't think it's fair to call B.Net some rip off service when Blizzard created it back in 96, the Console focused publishers (some of which said PC gaming is dead & all PC gamers are pirates, including Epic funny enough) deserve some flack for jumping on the Steam bandwagon & creating another damn launcher.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The moment Valve starts developing games again, Epic, who more or less stopped developing games recently, starts a storefront.

What is happening in the world.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Epic is funding the games themselves. All major games will still be publisher driven. Unless you think self-publishing funds multi-year development projects?
Most publishers don't pay the developers for game development these days. Games haven't been publisher driven for years, nowadays you generally have indie developers who self-publish and big companies who self-publish. When publishers do get involved, they are more about marketing the games than helping them be built or sold.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
COD & Destiny are not technically 3rd party for Acti-Blizzard, but i just don't think it's fair to call B.Net some rip off service when Blizzard created it back in 96, the Console focused publishers (some of which said PC gaming is dead & all PC gamers are pirates, including Epic funny enough) deserve some flack for jumping on the Steam bandwagon though & creating another damn launcher.

Which Epic was one of the Big ones.

'Piracy is causing us to move to Consoles'

And years later after Steams solve it by making a product better then pirating they come screaming back as the 'Pro-PC consumer' company and attack Steam.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a pretty big, long term gamble for Epic. I doubt the Epic Store is going to pull away the Steam fanatics here on era, what it will do is capture the kids who are currently playing Fortnite and have no loyalty to any platform yet. Most likely they'll just use Epic Store because it's there.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time believing any of these drive-by "competition is good" posters are actually active PC gamers.

They're not. PC gamers have had to deal with people doing this on here from the start of Era. Blanket "competition is good" and "steam needs a kick in the ass" statements and they don't even know all the stuff Steam has done in the past few years despite having a "monopoly" (they don't have one but that's what these people also say). We explain in detail what they've done and it goes ignored in favor of the same repeated bullshit lines. But it's never moderated so it keeps going.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this the angrier I get, haha. This is not a great deal for anyone in the long term.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
If they only reward developers, they will either need to specialize for very specific demographic (Fortnite) or never succeed. In other words, I'm curious to see what their angle is to actually get customers. Few exclusives won't do that, that will only get customers to buy those exclusives on your store and almost nothing else.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So I see many of you guys would just prefer no change, just to have all your games in one place, huh...

Really, I don't give a damn about exclusives. Some games will be exclusive to Epic Store? Oh I guess I will just install it if they are good games. Such a chore.

Step up by providing best and easiest return policy,great regional pricing, user reviews, FREE cloud saving, steam gift cards, amazing sales and tons tons more?
Oh wait....

So you already know there will be no sales on Epic Store? And the rest of the featuers can be added later. You can't just add everything at the start, it would be too risky if somethings... breaks.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Consumers do a lot of the work that Valve as a platform should do. Valve is basically using our labor to create more profits for themselves. There's a whole PhD thesis about it that you can read at your leisure if you're interested in how Steam exploits its consumers: https://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:6820/datastream/OBJ/download/Distributing_productive_play__a_materialist_analysis_of_Steam.pdf

If you're going to make a dramatic point like that, you should also explain it a little better than to refer to a 150 page thesis and claim that your remark is supported somewhere in it. Give a page number or range, a chapter at the very least.

So you already know there will be no sales on Epic Store? And the rest of the featuers can be added later. You can't just add everything at the start, it would be too risky if somethings... breaks.

I don't see how that changes anything about this currently not being represented as an appealing platform from a consumer standpoint.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
So I see many of you guys would just prefer no change, just to have all your games in one place, huh...

Really, I don't give a damn about exclusives. Some games will be exclusive to Epic Store? Oh I guess I will just install it if they are good games. Such a chore.

Features added later, so we are to trust Epic and trust their lack of a Refund Policy?

Which to date Steam still has the best one?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I remember when GFWL was "just another client to install". Then it closed. :")
And yes, people wants convenience. How dare they. :")

What? With a smaller cut going to the storefront owners it's easier for developers (publishers) to put their games in sales discounts, not harder.

So, we can expect devs to launch their games with 20% discounts ?

I'll explain it fast:
-When a game is sold through Steam storefront, Valve takes 30% (same as GOG, Nintendo, Sony, MS, Apple, Google btw) and the developper gets 70% of the revenue.
-Valve allows devs to generate steam keys for free and in unlimited quantities, which they can sell for 100% of revenue.
-Because of that, they're able to sell them on their sites or through 3rd party retailers like GreenManGaming, Voidu or Gamesplanet (Or even Humble Bundle).
-These sites takes 25 to 30% of cut from that 100% so, like Valve
-These sites, to compete with Steam storefront, offer discounts that they absorb through their cut, so they can sell these games 20 to 25% cheaper than on Steam storefronts while devs getting as much money as they would from a Steam sale.

If that cut becomes 88% in the whole industry, that means these sites wont be able to offer discounts deeper than 10% at launch.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of the features mentioned in the OP are directed towards developers. As a consumer, none of that benefits me. I see no reason to start using this instead of Steam, when it doesn't have 1/10 of what the latter offers me.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol yeah I was expecting this the moment I saw their new client beta. None of it made any sense for a client that people only use for one single game so I figured that this would follow.
Nice split for the Devs. I hope they allow just about anyone to publish a game there instead of having some stupid curation policies.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
All of the features mentioned in the OP are directed towards developers. As a consumer, none of that benefits me. I see no reason to start using this instead of Steam, when it doesn't have 1/10 of what the latter offers me.

and actually besides the lower fee, and curation (aka we pick winners) , we don't know what Epic will provide developers on the backend.
Steam has extensive backend support for developers, big and small.

Will Epic provide online service if a developer needs it?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I see this being a small net positive for some devs, and net neutral for consumers. Some devs will have more money, which they will use to reinvest into more and/or bigger games developed, or maybe simply being able to stay alive long enough to keep making more games. That's good for gamers. I doubt any other stores will lower their 30% cut, or that games will be any cheaper on the Epic store.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this is great. Waiving Unreal engine royalties is huge as well. So many smaller shops go for Unity just because of the royalties. Smart move by Epic, at the perfect time!