• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I've had the game crash on me on every single start since the update on Switch.

Kinda takes the fun away from the new things...

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
God Bless the Black Hole Gun , finally managed to beat the game once.
Man I was kinda afraid when people were saying the method to unlock the Gunslinger was very difficult. Though he's a really fun character.
D4P_06XX4AA-bgi.jpg:large

holy god you got there in 10 deaths? I just hit 100 and I don't even have the Bullet or Robot unlocked (though I do have Paradox).

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I forgot to grab the bullet that can kill the past for my unlocking the gunslinger run, but luckily for me the switch version isn't patched and it sends you to his past even without it!

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
holy god you got there in 10 deaths? I just hit 100 and I don't even have the Bullet or Robot unlocked (though I do have Paradox).
This was a new file I had to make because I lost it forgetting to back it up when switching PS4's. Though only I only have 1-2 actual deaths and the rest are from Co-op due to it being harder.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whew. Since page one, I can now reliably make it to floor 4 usually, if not to 5. Still have yet to clear 5 or do some of the more advanced things, but it's just nice to see the steady progression of my own skills.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Whew. Since page one, I can now reliably make it to floor 4 usually, if not to 5. Still have yet to clear 5 or do some of the more advanced things, but it's just nice to see the steady progression of my own skills.

hell yeah! it's a great feeling to make advances like that. it took me around 80 deaths before I beat the stage 5 boss.By 100 deaths I had killed all the main character pasts. as you unlock more stuff and get more familiar with patterns, you'll start to eat up rooms and feel even stronger. making it to floor 4 or 5 on a regular basis is a huge step forward and sort of the last hump before you get into the advanced unlocks, etc.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
The last time I posted in this thread I had just gotten my first dragun kill after 70 or so deaths, I'm now around 90 and now I've beat the lich ,finished all the main characters pasts and unlocked the paradox and the gunslinger. I still need to unlock the bullet and the robot.

I don't even think I've ever seen one of those bullet NPCs that I need to unlock him, and unlocking the robot seems to be really tedious, but it's tje next on my to do list.

I've definitely taken advantage of the rainbow runs a bunch of times though, getting a clone really makes those runs get super ridiculous.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
The last time I posted in this thread I had just gotten my first dragun kill after 70 or so deaths, I'm now around 90 and now I've beat the lich ,finished all the main characters pasts and unlocked the paradox and the gunslinger. I still need to unlock the bullet and the robot.

I don't even think I've ever seen one of those bullet NPCs that I need to unlock him, and unlocking the robot seems to be really tedious, but it's tje next on my to do list.

I've definitely taken advantage of the rainbow runs a bunch of times though, getting a clone really makes those runs get super ridiculous.

Rainbow Run is a godsend for basically all of the grinding-related tasks, especially with the elevator and the rat. You save so much money by accepting the challenge of a single gun/item per floor. I think it's debatable whether it's a challenge or not, but either way it makes for a really, really fun experience.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
Rainbow Run is a godsend for basically all of the grinding-related tasks, especially with the elevator and the rat. You save so much money by accepting the challenge of a single gun/item per floor. I think it's debatable whether it's a challenge or not, but either way it makes for a really, really fun experience.

It's definitely less challenging but it's a ton of fun. You're right though it made unlocking the elevators a cinch.

I still haven't done the rat yet, I have the key but I think I saw somewhere I need have like 3-4 blanks to access it as well?

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Rainbow Runs or not, I'm still struggling to complete Daisuke's trial. Clearing the game in Challenge mode is so hard... any tips? My most successful runs were when I played as the Bullet. I'm not yet sure if Rainbow Runs actually help for that trial or not.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA

Crashes like crazy though. I can barely make it through a rainbow run now without repeated crashes.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
hell yeah! it's a great feeling to make advances like that. it took me around 80 deaths before I beat the stage 5 boss.By 100 deaths I had killed all the main character pasts. as you unlock more stuff and get more familiar with patterns, you'll start to eat up rooms and feel even stronger. making it to floor 4 or 5 on a regular basis is a huge step forward and sort of the last hump before you get into the advanced unlocks, etc.

Ah, that's good to hear. I can't wait until I get to the point where I can actually start completing runs. Something about this game keeps me coming back for more.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Rainbow Runs or not, I'm still struggling to complete Daisuke's trial. Clearing the game in Challenge mode is so hard... any tips? My most successful runs were when I played as the Bullet. I'm not yet sure if Rainbow Runs actually help for that trial or not.

I did s rainbow run as the robot until I got a clone, blank bullets, and an ammolet. I've probably had three or four Rainbow runs like that.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was a new file I had to make because I lost it forgetting to back it up when switching PS4's. Though only I only have 1-2 actual deaths and the rest are from Co-op due to it being harder.

Well that's still impressive, I don't think I'd do as well on a fresh save file without all the OP stuff unlocked.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought this on sale and have tried to go through a few runs. I read the OP but I wasn't sure how you access this new content. On top of that, when you fail a run do you get to start the next more powerful somehow? Seems I'm always starting at the same power level with nothing to show for the guns I found on the previous run.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I just bought this on sale and have tried to go through a few runs. I read the OP but I wasn't sure how you access this new content. On top of that, when you fail a run do you get to start the next more powerful somehow? Seems I'm always starting at the same power level with nothing to show for the guns I found on the previous run.

You wont become stronger. The games progression is there are possible weapons, items, and specific rooms that can show up when you enter the gungeon as you play, you unlock more items that can possibly show up somewhere in the gungeon and many of these (seriously theres hundreds of items in this game) are indeed powerful. You always start with your base items and damage each run. On top of items, there are modifiers and different npcs to unlock in the breach that can alter the run and sell you even more items you can find. The more items you have unlocked the more powerful synergies you can obtain in a given run that can break the game wide open.

Initially there is a barrier though as you will just have to skill you way to the lower chambers to make bigger headway into the item pool. There is a point where you will start to make it to the farther points of the game more consistently. Usually when you have unlocked ways to increase your base health more easily.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The post-AFTA updates sure are taking forever to arrive to Switch.

Have the devs mentioned any cert issues?

Izzwan

Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia
I bought weapons from the shop outside the breach. Where are they supposed to appear as they are not in my inventory?

Nol

Oct 26, 2017
The post-AFTA updates sure are taking forever to arrive to Switch.

Have the devs mentioned any cert issues?
They posted an update on the gungeon subreddit today, saying there was apparently some website problem that delayed the rollout, and it should release on switch tomorrow. They also have another update ready to be pushed out to consoles as soon as they can.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
They posted an update on the gungeon subreddit today, saying there was apparently some website problem that delayed the rollout, and it should release on switch tomorrow. They also have another update ready to be pushed out to consoles as soon as they can.

Nice! I found the thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGu...update_about_updates_and_updated_patch_notes/

I love this in the upcoming 2.1.7 patch:

• (Consoles) Fixed a number of common crashes, including but not limited to:
    • Some synergies (notably involving the Big Shotgun or Derringer)
    • Exiting a floor with certain items active
    • Paradox in the third phase rat fight
    • Some Gunsling King interactions
    • Entering some secret floors in coop while one player has flight
    • Issues with several followers
    • Being shot with an enemy beam while invisible
    • Trorc dialogue in Japanese
    • A rare issue with reflected beams (especially the Moonscraper)
    • Killing the new secret boss while flying over a pit

But then:
  • Nerfed Knight's Gun. It's still good, just not ridiculous

Goodbye Knight's Gun, my dear friend. You served me well ;(

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone actually unlock gunslinger yet?
as if ghouls n ghosting the fucking lich wasnt bad enough, gunslinger gets a unique harder version of him. His guns are dope but come the fuck on, man. Two of the first phase simultaneously?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The items you buy or unlock are added to the pool of items you can find in the Gungeon. The more items you unlock, the more chances you have to find powerful stuff.

It's also worth mentioning that anything you recently unlocked has high chances to appear in your next run, so you get a chance to try it out.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone actually unlock gunslinger yet?
as if ghouls n ghosting the fucking lich wasnt bad enough, gunslinger gets a unique harder version of him. His guns are dope but come the fuck on, man. Two of the first phase simultaneously?
I got him.

Praise be the hot pocket watch.
It's a bet (because of the bug) but Rainbow runs can really give some crazy stuff.
Would be much more doable/consistent without the unlimited ammo gun disappearance bug.

I used to think the Lich was impossible so stay hopeful, anyone can succeed if i did.
There are many game breaking guns/items (especially with the gunslinger) to finish that even for someone with decent skill at best.

Izzwan

Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia
The items you buy or unlock are added to the pool of items you can find in the Gungeon. The more items you unlock, the more chances you have to find powerful stuff.
It's also worth mentioning that anything you recently unlocked has high chances to appear in your next run, so you get a chance to try it out.

I see, thanks. Is the boss that you fight at the end of the level totally random?

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Challenge mode is just RNG, i think. Sometimes you just get rooms there is absolutely no way to clear. I frequently run out of ammo.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It's definitely less challenging but it's a ton of fun. You're right though it made unlocking the elevators a cinch.

I still haven't done the rat yet, I have the key but I think I saw somewhere I need have like 3-4 blanks to access it as well?
2 blanks are enough. 1 for the end of the tunnel, second for the end of that newly created tunnel. You also need 1 normal key and the big yellow one too of course.
Just look for rats in a room and no need for a third blank. You can remove dust just by running on it.
I see, thanks. Is the boss that you fight at the end of the level totally random?
Yes. There's a pool of ~3 bosses for each floor (1 to 4) the game chose from with very, very rare surprise (if not only available once).

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I got him.

Praise be the hot pocket watch.
It's a bet (because of the bug) but Rainbow runs can really give some crazy stuff.
Would be much more doable/consistent without the unlimited ammo gun disappearance bug.

I used to think the Lich was impossible so stay hopeful, anyone can succeed if i did.
There are many game breaking guns/items (especially with the gunslinger) to finish that even for someone with decent skill at best.

It's just crazy frustrating cause you waste so much time to end up getting dookie drops or whatever. My last attempt I ended up having to kill the Lich entirely with my starter pistol as the purple swirlies cause I didn't see ammo for like 4 floors.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Whoooo, did it. Fully upgraded cactus gun is ridiculous.

Think I had some glitches? I stole the drill from the shop, and then i unlocked the loot bag, the clown mask, and the drill. Each one popped in that order as i cleared floors in that run.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I did it! I finally beat the game in Challenge mode. Take that Daisuke! Now I don't want to hear from you ever again!

Honestly, I believe completing Daisuke's trial is the hardest thing in the whole game.

"Feel like rolling the bones?"

2f51326076101a77a01298461deb73e5457a1c94.png

No I don't. Never again.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. Beat the old king with only half a heart left.

Edit:

Whoo hoo! What a run. Got a glitched chest right after killing the Old King that skipped me straight to level 5 with more guns than I knew what to do with.

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. Beat the old king with only half a heart left.

Edit:

Whoo hoo! What a run. Got a glitched chest right after killing the Old King that skipped me straight to level 5 with more guns than I knew what to do with.

Congrats! Beating the Dragun after only 23 deaths is pretty good!

Now you need to get working on the Bullet That Can Kill The Past!

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked the shortcut to floor 2 after what feels like forever... but I guess using it is a bad shout?

I also figured out what you can do with the fireplace on floor one and subsequently got wrecked within. Feels bad, man.

pukadon

Oct 27, 2017
New Gungeoneer here (thx to northernlion playing again and a psn discount), i'm kinda confused about how to tackle chests.

If the first floor contains a brown and blue chest, for example, which should i open first? Or should i always try to kill the boss first for a secured gun drop? Is a brown passive worth going for or should i junk it and "gun" for a blue gun, even if blue chests drop items more often?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I unlocked the shortcut to floor 2 after what feels like forever... but I guess using it is a bad shout?

I also figured out what you can do with the fireplace on floor one and subsequently got wrecked within. Feels bad, man.

Using the elevators generally makes one's run harder because it gives you less potential to beef up your equipment.

However they can be useful when you're aiming at accomplishing a specific permanent goal (things like the components for the bullet that can kill the past, bringing the robot hand to the breach, etc.)

Also, and most importantly, unlocking all elevators unlocks Boss Rush.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using the elevators generally makes one's run harder because it gives you less potential to beef up your equipment.

However they are useful when you're aiming at accomplishing a permanent goal (things like the components for the bullet that can kill the past, bringing the robot hand to the breach, etc.)

Also, and most importantly, unlocking all elevators unlocks Boss Rush.
I got so lucky on my floor 1 run as I had an arena with 4 columns and an overpowered gun so I nuked that bird dude and got the final component. Didn't realise you could spread the elevator purchase over multiple playthroughs, which is nice.

Also; fuck that Snake boss. And the spider-thing. And the new dude with a cape which is totally a boss that just shows up mid-run. Fuck it all to hades :(

Oct 27, 2017
New Gungeoneer here (thx to northernlion playing again and a psn discount), i'm kinda confused about how to tackle chests.

If the first floor contains a brown and blue chest, for example, which should i open first? Or should i always try to kill the boss first for a secured gun drop? Is a brown passive worth going for or should i junk it and "gun" for a blue gun, even if blue chests drop items more often?
Depends on a few things. If you feel confident you can beat the boss easily/damageless (to get the Master Round) with your starting gear, you're probably better off trusting in the boss drop and saving your keys, either for future, better chests or to access
Your character also makes a difference, e.g. if you're the pilot, you'll likely want to try lockpicking one (or both) of the chests first. If you're the hunter, the crossbow should be good enough to get you through the first boss.

The two chests on each floor are always split into 1 gun and 1 item, so even if you open the blue chest you've only got a coin flip's chance of getting a gun. Personally I wouldn't use a key on a brown chest early on, since D rank guns are generally bad, and I wouldn't trust my chances of getting one of the decent D items. Usually wouldn't open a blue chest either, since I normally play as the hunter (with crossbow) and would rather save my keys for accessing the hidden floor. I'd take a blue chest over a brown chest though.

You're probably doing this already, but unless the chest has a fuse it's generally better to explore the floor first to see the shop's contents, the other chest's colour and room drops before making any decisions.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! Beating the Dragun after only 23 deaths is pretty good!

Now you need to get working on the Bullet That Can Kill The Past!
Thanks lol. I'll attribute it to at least 70% luck and 30% skill or less. It was only the second time I actually made it to the Forge.
My ass was totally carried by the Full Metal Jacket and another item that gave me 3 blanks to start, which basically was like 3 free health every floor. That and the shotgun of love and bouncing bullets clearing rooms like nothing lol

pukadon

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on a few things. If you feel confident you can beat the boss easily/damageless (to get the Master Round) with your starting gear, you're probably better off trusting in the boss drop and saving your keys, either for future, better chests or to access
Your character also makes a difference, e.g. if you're the pilot, you'll likely want to try lockpicking one (or both) of the chests first. If you're the hunter, the crossbow should be good enough to get you through the first boss.

The two chests on each floor are always split into 1 gun and 1 item, so even if you open the blue chest you've only got a coin flip's chance of getting a gun. Personally I wouldn't use a key on a brown chest early on, since D rank guns are generally bad, and I wouldn't trust my chances of getting one of the decent D items. Usually wouldn't open a blue chest either, since I normally play as the hunter (with crossbow) and would rather save my keys for accessing the hidden floor. I'd take a blue chest over a brown chest though.

You're probably doing this already, but unless the chest has a fuse it's generally better to explore the floor first to see the shop's contents, the other chest's colour and room drops before making any decisions.

Thank you! :D

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing y'all with such low deaths and beating the game and unlocking characters...I'm fucking garbage. I have NEVER killed ANY pasts.
Kqpm6ko.png

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I just did the craziest run!

My goal for this run was to finally beat the Resourceful Rat for the first time. Just for fun, I figured I would try to play as the Paradox. Not only did I could successfully beat the Rat, but during that run I found the Weird Egg. Just to see what it looks like, after the Rat fight I used the egg to spawn the Ancient Serpent so I could fight the Advanced Dragun at the end of floor 5.

Don't ask me how, but I could beat the Advanced Dragun. Then, since I was playing as the Paradox, down to Bullet Hell I went. With shaking hands, I could beat the Lich by a hair.

Because of the Paradox, I immediately respawned on the first floor as the Gunslinger. After going through the whole Gungeon again, I beat the super hard version of the Lich, and unlocked the Gunsligner!

So in that run:
- I beat the Resourceful Rat for the first time
- I beat the Advanced Dragun for the first time
- I beat the Lich
- I beat the ridiculous second version of the Lich and unlocked the Gunslinger!

Most stressful run I ever made!

TTtXTAq.jpg

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Seeing y'all with such low deaths and beating the game and unlocking characters...I'm fucking garbage. I have NEVER killed ANY pasts.
Kqpm6ko.png

I'm just over 100 deaths and I have yet to beat level 5 (although I was a sliver of health away once).

Some of that is due to playing co-op with my daughter but mostly it's just me sucking.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn it. BSG kills Kill Pillars in 3 shots but my dumbass dodge rolled into his opening attack

Edit: oh I had backup gun so that might give more splash damage

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh hey count me in to the "unlocked the Gunslinger through a broken af Rainbow run" club.

I consumed a Clone on both the Paradox and Gunslinger halves lol. And wow the Hot Watch really does turn the game into a cakewalk.

Also I beat the new secret level during the Gunslinger. Was kinda meh.

Only major thing I have left to do in the game is kill the Resourceful Rat. Bet it'd be really easy with Rainbow mode, but man, it's so broken it kinda takes away the fun doesn't it?

EDIT: Oh yeah and the Advanced Dragun.

EDIT 2: Oh and Challenge mode. Guess I'm not as done as I thought.

Last edited: