• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They said they're working on improvements. Which doesn't necessarily mean a fix. Given we're still waiting for a Bloodborne PS4 Pro patch, I'm not holding my breath for anything significant from them.

That's on Sony that's not on From.

In fact Elden Ring isn't on From either.

This is Bandai (rushed them to get this out right before end of fiscal year, and will most likely force them to fix it as well since I take they want to add expansions to it VS regular sequels given how long it would take).

Cruella

May 5, 2021
Did anyone else experience random crashes? Like the game will just freeze and close itself.
In two days it froze once (had to restart PC), crashed when I summoned Ashes once, just crashed twice in the very beginning.

It also sometimes won't let me close the game, I can't do anything in the menu, it's very weird. Manually restart and it works again.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
So, made this direct feed video in FHD(1080P) 120 hrz since it can't do 4k 120hrz.

My gf was playing, I was recording, she struggled against a wild bore and had to show her on how to actually hit the thing loll She's not really the gaming type like I am loll but was willing to help out :)

My settings in game are maxed out in 4k with the flawless widescreen options activated.

Most of the time it stays at 60 but you can see that it goes above and also was raining which tanks the performance even more.

Made a 4k video but limited to 60hrz/fps and the recording was worse because of the syncing between recording at 60 and my display at 120 hrz.

Anyways, might give you a small idea on how it performs and please MIND that live gameplay while recording was significantly better in image quality since it was 4k and more fluid, less stutter feeling because of the recording and youtube compression locked at 1080p60

www.youtube.com

Elden Ring PC Max Settings 4k 120 recorded in 1080P 120 to keep frames sync with the screen hrz

Image quality and fluidity is better while playing. The recording does not do it justice but was the only way to show the camera smoothness with no tearing a...

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
My experience has been pretty poor. GTX 1070/i5 7600k. I know the CPU is on the older side but it should be plenty for Elden Ring. Frames are actually fine most of the time, but there is incredible stuttering every few seconds. Sometimes completely freezing for several seconds. This morning I had a bunch of issues with the world not loading properly and falling through the map. Also, Steam "runs" the game after I close it. Only way to stop that is shutting down Steam entirely. Oof.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
My experience has been pretty poor. GTX 1070/i5 7600k. I know the CPU is on the older side but it should be plenty for Elden Ring. Frames are actually fine most of the time, but there is incredible stuttering every few seconds. Sometimes completely freezing for several seconds. This morning I had a bunch of issues with the world not loading properly and falling through the map. Also, Steam "runs" the game after I close it. Only way to stop that is shutting down Steam entirely. Oof.
The game should fully close after a few seconds, I thought I had to do the same but noticed it will close if you wait. My guess is maybe something to do with trying to stop online players from Alt f4-ing out of the game? Idk

horsemama1956

Jun 22, 2020
Any particular reason you think a quad i5 should be fine for this game? they're quite a bit worse than even a current i3.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
I have played about 8 hours now yesterday and today without any real stuttering issues. It does get a lot better.

Randomly during a dungeon boss though it started stuttering something fierce, very weird.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Game runs amazingly better with Special K/Offline, I dont have the weird freeze/stuttering. I still have the minimal stutter loading but its so much more playable.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
So, made this direct feed video in FHD(1080P) 120 hrz since it can't do 4k 120hrz.

My gf was playing, I was recording, she struggled against a wild bore and had to show her on how to actually hit the thing loll She's not really the gaming type like I am loll but was willing to help out :)

My settings in game are maxed out in 4k with the flawless widescreen options activated.

Most of the time it stays at 60 but you can see that it goes above and also was raining which tanks the performance even more.

Made a 4k video but limited to 60hrz/fps and the recording was worse because of the syncing between recording at 60 and my display at 120 hrz.

Anyways, might give you a small idea on how it performs and please MIND that live gameplay while recording was significantly better in image quality since it was 4k and more fluid, less stutter feeling because of the recording and youtube compression locked at 1080p60

www.youtube.com

Elden Ring PC Max Settings 4k 120 recorded in 1080P 120 to keep frames sync with the screen hrz

Image quality and fluidity is better while playing. The recording does not do it justice but was the only way to show the camera smoothness with no tearing a...

Here is a 4k version recorded at 4k60 showing different part of the map.

Again image quality and smoothness is better live while I play.

4k video option should be available soon.. Still processing. It's at 1080p now.

Watch in YouTube app or website to get all the resolution options.

youtu.be

Elden Ring PC Max Settings 4k 120 limited to 60 hrz because of phone app recording.

Made a 4k version but was locked at 60fps and syncing was not great and showed more stuttering because of the screen being 120hrz while recording at 60hrz/fp...

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I just watched the digital foundry PC performance review, the tearing looked absolutely terrible. So distracting it would constantly take me out of the experience. Is it this bad for everyone else on PC?
Did you watch the video with sound on?

He turned off Vsync on purpose for a little bit, to show that the game maxes out at 60fps (Vsync on a 60hz display would still run the game at a higher framerate, if it were available). It was sort of a strange thing to do, but he REALLY wanted to press on the fact that it doesn't offer higher framerates.

That's on Sony that's not on From.

In fact Elden Ring isn't on From either.

This is Bandai (rushed them to get this out right before end of fiscal year, and will most likely force them to fix it as well since I take they want to add expansions to it VS regular sequels given how long it would take).

I think the notion here is that From doesn't have a great history for polishing their PC games over time, with patches. And most noteably, Dark Souls 3, their highest selling game ever, was abandoned on PC after the first round of patches and to this day, has some issues which are easily noticeable in the first couple hours of play.
(stutters. input lag issues. bugged details in reflections. LOD pop-in which have no busniess on a PC with all settings maxed. And if you stand still in some areas, several assets in the area with subtly shift through what looks like some small LOD shifts. (that last issue is also present with the PS4 version running on my PS5).

As high profile as this game is, and 6 years later the internet loves to stir up the complaints: I thiiink probably they will get this game into a decent shape in the next two months. But, long term, will they really truly polish all of it? Remains to be seen.

Last edited:

ClutchAnderson

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Playing @ 2160p - 5800x + 3090FE + 32GB of ram. I've only gotten to play in the open world an hour or so but stuttered maybe once or twice? I'll try again after I reroll my class haha.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just had the worst stutter in a boss arena. It was an optional dungeon boss, so it was a very small space, but the stutter was so bad it almost killed me. Nothing to suggest this would be the area to do it, no new enemies, no new textures etc etc.

Sep 21, 2019
Ummmmmm.......soooooo

With the Special K mod installed, the infamous stairs at the beginning of the game no longer hitch. Smooth as butter. This requires the game to be offline, and his mod also forces single core CPU usage, but there you have it. There are very, very occasional stutters in the open world, but nothing like before.

Oh yea, and the framerate can be unlocked, too.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that the game launched with these kind of performance issues and that reviews barely touched on it is a joke.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Ummmmmm.......soooooo

With the Special K mod installed, the infamous stairs at the beginning of the game no longer hitch. Smooth as butter. This requires the game to be offline, and his mod also forces single core CPU usage, but there you have it. There are very, very occasional stutters in the open world, but nothing like before.

any idea why it's forcing single core?

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
Game runs amazingly better with Special K/Offline, I dont have the weird freeze/stuttering. I still have the minimal stutter loading but its so much more playable.

Curious if you have Hyper-Threading enabled. If it is, and if you want to play online, you can try removing Special K and then disabling Hyper-Threading in your BIOS.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The game should fully close after a few seconds, I thought I had to do the same but noticed it will close if you wait. My guess is maybe something to do with trying to stop online players from Alt f4-ing out of the game? Idk
It's some Epic thing that runs in the system tray. If I force close it then it stops in Steam.
Any particular reason you think a quad i5 should be fine for this game? they're quite a bit worse than even a current i3.
It runs everything else. Just surprised that Elden Ring is the game that finally knocked it from the throne.

Sadly, dropping the resolution to 1080p REALLY helped performance. Looks like I'm playing in Vaseline mode for the rest of this adventure.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Ummmmmm.......soooooo

Can you use it in combo with flawless widescreen or it creates conflicts in between?

Thnx

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Sadly anything that requires you to be offline is a nonstarter for me. I value the online experience too much in Souls games to forgo it, especially with the new group system in Elden Ring.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
any guide on how to install special K specifically for Elden Ring ? the general guide is rather useless if you're not tech savy

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I find the constant silly messages, and ghosts doing shit incredibly annoying, the new password system for proper co op looks fun though.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
outside of the tree sentinel and going into new areas, ive had a great experience. I didnt do anything other than disabling steam overlay as it was causing me to not be able to start the game.

Specs:

2080super/3700x
32GB ram @3200mhz (ddr4)
installed to pcie4 ssd (sabrent rocket)
win10
latest drivers for elden ring
playing @1440p on high settings

Funny thing is, once i killed the sentinel, that area was fine afterwards. Mustve been something to do with him.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see some people getting better performance with mods. Just recorded a video of the stalling that I'm seeing. Much worse than just stuttering. CPU and GPU usage drops to zero and the game locks up three times in a row.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Ummmmmm.......soooooo

Where can I download it?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it through the PC Gaming Wiki.

Last edited:

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
To further up my settings.

In the Nvidia control panel for those with nvidia cards...

I set the following.

Global tab

Shader cache to unlimited.

Program tab on the elden ring exe

AF 16x
Latency to ultra
Prefered power performance for the gpu
Quality setting to highest and not performance.
Threaded optimization ON
Trippled buffering ON
Vsync ON
Gsync ON (LG C1 48")

Resolution tab

Nvidia settings at the bottom

Rgb full 12 bits

After burner max fps set to 119

Eldenring set to high priority in the Windows app setting.

Disabled exploit in the Windows setting by adding the exe and set the control flow guard option to off

Think that's it lolll!

My God I just did some of this, playing around with the settings in the nvidia control panel and it's made the game playable for me. Before I was getting 1 or 2 second freezes every minute or so, now I'm getting an occasional frame drop instead. Not sure which setting helped the most, I imagine it's putting the shader limit to unlimited.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see some people getting better performance with mods. Just recorded a video of the stalling that I'm seeing. Much worse than just stuttering. CPU and GPU usage drops to zero and the game locks up three times in a row.

This is what I was getting look at the post above to change some settings in nvidia control panel to see if that fixes it, it stopped that for me

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
To further up my settings.

In the Nvidia control panel for those with nvidia cards...

I set the following.

Global tab

Shader cache to unlimited.

Program tab on the elden ring exe

AF 16x
Latency to ultra
Prefered power performance for the gpu
Quality setting to highest and not performance.
Threaded optimization ON
Trippled buffering ON
Vsync ON
Gsync ON (LG C1 48")

Resolution tab

Nvidia settings at the bottom

Rgb full 12 bits

After burner max fps set to 119

Eldenring set to high priority in the Windows app setting.

Disabled exploit in the Windows setting by adding the exe and set the control flow guard option to off

Think that's it lolll!
There is no reason to run RTSS/MSI Afterburner----simply to cap the framerate. Nvidia and AMD both can do it in their driver control panel.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Is it worth playing right now with the PC performances or just wait, I am fine playing through Sifu at the moment but just curious on the consensus.

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth playing right now with the PC performances or just wait, I am fine playing through Sifu at the moment but just curious on the consensus.

Try it on Steam and find out if you can tolerate it and return it within 2 hours if needed. I can't stand uneven performance but I can tolerate this since the game is so good. Also for me the first area seems to be the worst performing.

Though honestly I can't see from fixing performance issues ever.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
For Flawless Widescreen do you need to put Steam in offline mode? Or just start the game in offline mode? I'm tempted by the vignette removal.

Also, has anyone made a compass disable mod yet? Both of these things are eyesores.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
There is no reason to run RTSS/MSI Afterburner----simply to cap the framerate. Nvidia and AMD both can do it in their driver control panel.

My main reason using Afterburner is for the live stats not for the frame limiting.

Figured since I'm using it why not unless on the driver side it gives better results?

I'll try! Thnx

stemitchell

Nov 17, 2017
For Flawless Widescreen do you need to put Steam in offline mode? Or just start the game in offline mode? I'm tempted by the vignette removal.

Also, has anyone made a compass disable mod yet? Both of these things are eyesores.

I did this.

youtu.be

[21x9] Elden Ring, Triple Monitor FIXED Quick Report (25/Feb/2022)

(Update 16:03) HaYDeN has fixed the vignetting: https://www.skid-inc.net/stuff/EldenRing-48x9.pngRecorded 25th of February 2022, Elden Ring has released with...

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I think you should and do two things. Set the Nvidia shader cache to unlimited and play offline. If it doesn't work, restart and set the shader cache again. My experience has been pretty good and I'm nowhere near refunding the game. I have minimal stutter, but it's there. Over 12hrs in.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
My main reason using Afterburner is for the live stats not for the frame limiting.

Figured since I'm using it why not unless on the driver side it gives better results?

I'll try! Thnx
OK. If you are using other Afterburner features, then its fine. The framelitting in RTSS isn't better or worse than the framelimiting for the GPU driver control panels.
Really, my concern is that Elden Ring can be more sensitive than other games, to overlays and 3rd party apps which "hook" into the game. So, if all people want is a framerate limiter, it makes no sense to run RTSS. and you might avoid some extra stuttering or potential crashing issues.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
OK. If you are using other Afterburner features, then its fine. The framelitting in RTSS isn't better or worse than the framelimiting for the GPU driver control panels.
Really, my concern is that Elden Ring can be more sensitive than other games, to overlays and 3rd party apps which "hook" into the game. So, if all people want is a framerate limiter, it makes no sense to run RTSS. and you might avoid some extra stuttering or potential crashing issues.

Yes absolutely. I have AB and Reshade as overlays and that's it. No steam.. No game bar .. No geforce experience crap..

My experience after the tweaks is really good and I haven't yet applied the special k mod for single thread.

Made a few videos a little up if you want to see what I'm experiencing as gameplay.

My second video was processed fine into 4k but for some reason it's 1080p60

Lastly the videos do maybe 80% justice compared to live gameplay.. It's even better than the videos show. You can only imagine loll

Also my videos can't produce the HDR image quality I see.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
After playing the game using the Special K mod I saw no improvements, hell somehow it was worse. Now, I don't know if unrelated to the mod itself, but this time when my PC crashed it wasn't the graphics card driver for once, so I could read the BSOD and it says that the crash was related to memory management.

Here are my System specs by the way: Ryzen 7 2700X, Vega 56 8 GB, and 32 GB of ram and WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD as the main drive. Running a fresh install of Windows 10.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Tried that Special K mod, but it only shows 'waiting for game' even after starting Elden Ring. Although i'm not even sure if i installed it right or not.

Thought the game was running better last night, but today lots of slowdowns just moving around. Not fun to play right now. Will wait to see if it gets fixed. So want to play it, but not like that.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is untrue.

Driver controlled frame limiting is good. but RTSS has several features that make it way better than driver level ones.

you can limit based on Frametime not just framerate (click the word framelimit in RTSS to switch modes) this can resolve a lot of micro stutter issues in games

as well as changing the format that it limits frames (i.e active vs passive wait, what edge it syncs on etc)

so don't spread misinformation.

Sep 21, 2019
Ok, Special K mod with unlocked framerate and Special K HDR looks amazing. I'm hitting around 100 fps, the HDR looks even better with Special K, and the stuttering is much less bothersome because it happens less due to CPU changes with the mod, and the framerate is high enough that gsync smooths it out more when it hits.

Only drawback is I cannot go online...but the messages are, for the first time in a Souls game, killing my immersion anyway, and I want to beast these bosses on my own.

If you are on PC and have a 3070 or higher...I HIGHLY recommend the Special K mod if you are okay with playing offline.

Alright, so now I'm back on PC instead of PS4 code on PS5. Feels good to be home 😀

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
got teleported to some cave where I can't teleport out of and my PC keeps crashing..

edit: found the exit, but playing inside the cave is impossible.

Last edited: