• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Yeah, I don't think the game is flawless by any means, but it's a solid 9/10 for me.\

The nitpicks I'd have would be things like:

-I wish the story and especailly NPC quests were a bit less obtuse. I doesn't need to be a story heavy game, just make what little is there clearer, add some kind of NPC quest log so I didn't have to waste time keeping notes in a Word doc on my iPad and still have to rely on looking up what to do next most of the time.

- Performance could be better (played PS5 version), but didn't really bother me as I'm not that fussed about framerates and it was rarely super noticeable to me.

-Platforming sucked at times

-A couple bosses I found not fun

-Stupid item pick up messages requiring a button press to dismiss which can fuck you up in combat

-Some boring/empty open world stretches like all open world games for me (but balanced with more rewarding exploration—at least for the first half the game—from wanting to find upgrade mats, new weapons/armor, gain runes to level up etc. that's missing for me in easier games).

All of those are super minor in comparison to how much I loved the world, most fights, the atmosphere etc. For others they're bigger deals and make them not like the game, along with other things that didn't bug me. No game is perfect and no game is for everyone. There's plenty of super highly reviewed games that I don't enjoy.

This just happened to be one that clicked for me, and I'm not a huge From Soft fan or anything. Loved Bloodborne, liked DS3, couldn't get into DS1, DS2 or Demon's remake, never played any of their other games. I was very skeptical going in, didn't buy day 1 as I wanted to think on it and read more impressions and so on and just ended up loving it.

Last edited:

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I haven't installed the latest patch yet but I've noticed something new. When I fight bosses now, about 1/10th of their health bar (on the right hand side) is in grey. I've never seen this before, does anyone know what this could mean? Are they starting with less HP now for some reason?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I haven't installed the latest patch yet but I've noticed something new. When I fight bosses now, about 1/10th of their health bar (on the right hand side) is in grey. I've never seen this before, does anyone know what this could mean? Are they starting with less HP now for some reason?
Are you using Tiche/Black Blade? The grey bar shows how much their HP is reduced by the effect.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

Certain abilities have a life reducing function that reduces the overall HP temporarily. Tiche has an ability that does it. Some weapon arts do.

What are you using?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say it's hilarious to see the irony of people coming here antagonizing other fanbases with passive-aggressive posts. Damn From fans!

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat the game, been playing since launch, and had to restart once. So stoked for NG+.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I've been rocking the royal remains armor set for a while.

Is it viable to use all the way to end game for a str/faith build or should I be looking for a replacement.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Final boss on 3rd playthrough and proper struggling to get past 50% health.

Doesn't seem to do as many abilities but just feels tankier.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I've been rocking the royal remains armor set for a while.

Is it viable to use all the way to end game for a str/faith build or should I be looking for a replacement.
It's fine, but you look like an

edge,
lord

You might prefer a headpiece that gives you a stat bonus. There are a lot. And there's the Raptor's Black Feathers which boosts jump attacks, and jump attacks are super strong.

Dec 12, 2017
Me? I didn't see the point. We like different things.

60 tries to beat a boss is ok by me. I'm sure it took me way more to beat Isshin, Orphan, Friede etc. That's what I want from these games.
You're literally proving my point about Soulsbourne ultras like you. You have no counterpoints and say git gud.

Haha just say you have the ability to have the time to take that time and leave it there. Based on your posts it's clearly the case

DS has always been fair, but this ain't it.

Also it's absolutely wild to me that people are complaining about criticisms. These are discussion threads not worship threads.

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
You're literally proving my point about Soulsbourne ultras like you. You have no counterpoints and say git gud.

Haha just say you have the ability to have the time to take that time and leave it there. Based on your posts it's clearly the case

Also it's absolutely wild to me that people are complaining about criticisms. These are discussion threads not worship threads.
I don't know what you're trying to say here. The game is how I want it to be. You don't like the game. That's perfectly fine! We don't need counterpoints we just like different things. Be secure in your dislike of a thing, don't start telling other people they're wrong for having different tastes.

Yeah, I've deliberately not installed the patch, so how unusual...
I know there's that "Regulation Ver. 1.04.1" thing that gets updated even without a patch to the game, so maybe it's part of that.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

There's criticizing aspects of the game which is fine and I myself did it in here.

And then there's antagonizing other members because they don't agree with you.

Dec 12, 2017
I don't know what you're trying to say here. The game is how I want it to be. You don't like the game. That's perfectly fine! We don't need counterpoints we just like different things. Be secure in your dislike of a thing, don't start telling other people they're wrong for having different tastes.

I know there's that "Regulation Ver. 1.04.1" thing that gets updated even without a patch to the game, so maybe it's part of that.
The issue with you guys is you continuously fail to talk about WHY you like bad aspects of this game. We debate about games everyday on this social platform lol. But the refusal for some FromSoftware stans to explain why they like certain aspects of something is stark and comical

Dec 12, 2017
There's criticizing aspects of the game which is fine and I myself did it in here.

And then there's antagonizing other members because they don't agree with you.
What do you describe as antagonizing? Because I literally see from your post history how you criticize other games like I have.

Criticizing a game that some posters literally think is perfectis antagonizing?? Really??? This is the antithesis of the elitism of Soulsbourne fans

Dec 12, 2017
User banned (1 week): Antagonizing other members and trolling over multiple posts
I do. I even said I criticized parts of this game in here. I never call fans that disagree with me "ultras" or "stans" though.
When they refuse to talk about clear issues at the game I'm going to call you a Stan. There's a reason that Souls fans have a rep for having one of the most toxic communities. People literally defended the fact that we couldn't use multiplayer on Xbox for days.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The issue with you guys is you continuously fail to talk about WHY you like bad aspects of this game. We debate about games everyday on this social platform lol. But the refusal for some FromSoftware stans to explain why they like certain aspects of something is stark and comical
Things that in your opinion are bad. Repeating things dozens of times to hone skills and learn patterns has been part of video games since they were invented. I love it.

I don't see why that makes me an ultra or a stan. I'm ok with you not liking the thing I like. I don't think that makes you stupid or a liar, or that I need to educate you. There are loads of popular games I dislike, and I don't bust into their threads to insist people justify themselves.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
When they refuse to talk about clear issues at the game I'm going to call you a Stan. There's a reason that Souls fans have a rep for having one of the most toxic communities. People literally defended the fact that we couldn't use multiplayer on Xbox for days.

So you think you have the right to antagonize other people because they don't agree with you, and also they are the toxic ones?

Aight then.

Dec 12, 2017
So you think you have the right to antagonize other people because they don't agree with you, and also they are the toxic ones?

Aight then.
I really don't get why this is so complicated to understand.

FS games have always have made any build viable even with respeccing abilities

ES makes it pretty easy to recognize that you need a lot of vigor when you get in the Mountaintops if you don't want to die 80 times

I hate that. I say why I hate it. And I can 2 shot every Zamor Knight. But that grind just isn't fun

And people say they like it, I ask why and they say I just do!!!!!!!! Yes I'm going to challenge that and when a response is refused I'm gonna call you a stan.

If asking someone why they like a certain aspect of a game is antagonizing then maybe this platform ain't for me

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't even want to acknowledge that post lol coming in the thread saying don't want to be inflammatory and then just doing lol common, man

Anyway, I put determination on my big hunk of iron and I'm loving it. Big Bois Girls don't cry build keeps getting stronger 💪

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I didn't even want to acknowledge that post lol coming in the thread saying don't want to be inflammatory and then just doing lol common, man

Anyway, I put determination on my big hunk of iron and I'm loving it. Big Bois Girls don't cry build keeps getting stronger 💪
Which hunk of iron are you swinging? I'm playing pure faith right now but I miss my colossal weapons.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
And people say I like it I ask why and they say I just do!!!!!!!! Yes I'm going to challenge that and when a response is refused I'm gonna call you a stan.
Maybe you can take up this with these specific individuals and ask them? I'm not sure how other people can help you in this scenario.

Dec 12, 2017
I did, yeah.

If you've already done this I don't think there's anything more you can do. People aren't obliged to do anything.
Of course they're not, but that's why I call then stans lol. You're right, it's not a refusal to debate from obligation, I mean most people here don't work for Bandai or FromSoftware
but it's out of stannery and the inability to just say it's elitism.

Last edited:

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I almost randomly found the Golden Order Greatsword and *loved* the look of it, so I put a couple of points in Faith to be able to use it just to see it. Holy shit, it's a fucking gem of a sword, looks amazing and the weapon art is legit great. As long as you don't fight end game shit resistant to holy obvs.

I'm a mage with barely any points in str/fth and it's so damn fun to use I may respec.

Vo24aC7.jpg

Ok, I'm going to get this since I'm running a mainly Dex/Fth build.

Quick question has anyone had the specs to wield Malenia's blade, if so how is it?

Kornflayx

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they're not, but that's why I call then stans lol. You're right, it's not a refusal to debate from obligation, I mean most people here don't work for Bandai or FromSoftware

"People don't want to explain themselves to me personally so they're all stans" lmao

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Of course they're not, but that's why I call then stans lol. You're right, it's not a refusal to debate from obligation, I mean most people here don't work for Konami or FromSoftware
Are you still talking about me, or is someone else winding you up? Because I don't know what else I can add. I'm happy with this game and I love talking about it here. I feel like I'm about as far from an elitist as I can be. I try not to be one.

Most of your criticisms of the game are things that don't bother me, or that I think are positives. I'm quite comfortable with that. I don't need to justify myself. I'm the guy who loves Hero's Graves and honestly wants a DLC with 100 Hero's Graves.

Dec 12, 2017
"People don't want to explain themselves to me personally so they're all stans" lmao
Are people that obtuse? If it's one person, it can literally be their inability to explain why for any reason, maybe neurological or physiological, but when it's multiple people, over and over again. It's a pattern. Again, there's a reason why this community has rep for being the most toxic.

Dec 12, 2017
Are you still talking about me, or is someone else winding you up? Because I don't know what else I can add. I'm happy with this game and I love talking about it here. I feel like I'm about as far from an elitist as I can be. I try not to be one.

Most of your criticisms of the game are things that don't bother me, or that I think are positives. I'm quite comfortable with that. I don't need to justify myself. I'm the guy who loves Hero's Graves and honestly wants a DLC with 100 Hero's Graves.
I'm ok with that I'm just asking why lmao? It's literally that simple

Icarian

May 9, 2018
FS games have always have made any build viable even with respeccing abilities

ES makes it pretty easy to recognize that you need a lot of vigor when you get in the Mountaintops if you don't want to die 80 times

I hate that. I say why I hate it. And I can 2 shot every Zamor Knight. But that grind just isn't fun

I feel like ER has way more build variety potential than previous DS games though, with the newly added stagger and counter guard mechanics plus jump attacks you have more melee options than ever, and magic is as strong as it always has been, there's a couple busted things here and there that I hope they adjust down the road, we'll see if they get down to it.

I also think that complaining about needing more vigor is looking at it from the wrong angle, it is true that in previous games you could very well go through the game with lower vigor, DS3 for example had the first soft cap at 27 and that's where many people stopped, but ER is also way longer than previous entries, most people in this thread clear the game at around level 150 or higher, while in previous games you reached maybe level 90 or 100. I'm excluding grinding here.

I agree with you that damage across the board is too high, the fact that you can 2 shot "strong" enemies like Zamor knights is kind of boring IMO, you can even burn down and prevent bosses from changing phases without even aiming for it. The ceiling a player's damage can reach should be toned down a notch, this is probably a side effect of bumping stat soft caps across the board.

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't want to start a thread for this question, so I figure I'll just pop into this thread and see if a side bar discussion is possible.

This is kind of inflammatory I think, given the nature of this fanbase, but brace yourselves:

Why do FROM fan make so many excuses for this developer? Poor controls, terrible button layout, generation spanning performance issues, and very little experimentation or iteration...so why is this developer immune to criticisms that absolutely level other studios?

Most recently with Elden Ring, it seems like From has their head so far up their own asses that it works to the detriment of their games. Instead of asking themselves questions, it feels like they just charged forward with whatever they put on paper or had in their head.

So why are all of these shortcomings overlooked and excused?

Ask the reviewers who unanimously rated the game a modern masterpiece. Maybe your questions are just your opinion and your opinion is highly unpopular? Nah, it must be the fans, right?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm ok with that I'm just asking why lmao? It's literally that simple
Because it's fun? It's exciting and beautiful. When I play the game my brain lights up and all sorts of chemicals get released and I have a great time. Like, a really lovely time. I hope everyone gets to play a game they love this much.

Sorry for being a toxic elitist stan with my objectively wrong opinion.

Dec 12, 2017
I feel like ER has way more build variety potential than previous DS games though, with the newly added stagger and counter guard mechanics plus jump attacks you have more melee options than ever, and magic is as strong as it always has been, there's a couple busted things here and there that I hope they adjust down the road, we'll see if they get down to it.

I also think that complaining about needing more vigor is looking at it from the wrong angle, it is true that in previous games you could very well go through the game with lower vigor, DS3 for example had the first soft cap at 27 and that's where many people stopped, but ER is also way longer than previous entries, most people in this thread clear the game at around level 150 or higher, while in previous games you reached maybe level 90 or 100. I'm excluding grinding here.

I agree with you that damage across the board is too high, the fact that you can 2 shot "strong" enemies like Zamor knights is kind of boring IMO, you can even burn down and prevent bosses from changing phases without even aiming for it. The ceiling a player's damage can reach should be toned down a notch, this is probably a side effect of bumping stat soft caps across the board.
I think my biggest issue is that in the past certain bosses would crush you for certain builds, so some fights would be harder but not impossible. It gets balanced because you can melt the other bosses.

That's literally the definitely of balance haha. With ER you need VIG or after Leyndell you get crushed and that was not fun.

I mean the first Fire Giant attack is not only ranged, not only AOE but does enough damage to take half of your health. That shits just not fun

And then Malenia, I don't even know what to say about that lol

Dec 12, 2017
Because it's fun? It's exciting and beautiful. When I play the game my brain lights up and all sorts of chemicals get released and I have a great time. Like, a really lovely time. I hope everyone gets to play a game they love this much.

I honestly apologize for being so assertive that's not a way to have discourse, but I agree about the beginning.

It's the end game when I have an issue. In the beginning you can get destroyed but go somewhere and explore that doesn't happen in the end if you don't have enough VIG. You just end up running

Oct 29, 2017
Which hunk of iron are you swinging? I'm playing pure faith right now but I miss my colossal weapons.
The classic greatsword, gonna go to weeping peninsula and get the grafted sword so I can dual wield colossal weapons. What are you rocking for pure faith? I want to do some pure FTH and INT builds eventually.

Man, I gotta say I missed this dumb shit. Having to barely use armor so you can roll with your big dumb weapon... I always play like this but in ER magic is so fun and hybrid builds got so much love took me two full runs to get to it!!!

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Finished my melee playthrough. I fought 165 bosses and tracked my leveling progress for curiosity's sake. When I say "boss" I mean anything with a health bar so certain tree spirits and sentinels and things like that don't count.
  • Level 9 Vagabond @ START
  • Level 17 after defeating 9 bosses in Limgrave. [somber +1]
  • Level 24 after Weeping Peninsula. [+2]
  • Level 34 after the remainder of Limgrave & Stormveil Castle. [switched to regular +7 weapon]
  • Level 46 after defeating 22 bosses in Liurnia. [+10]
  • Level 49 after Siofra & Ainsel River. [+11]
  • Level 54 after remainder of Liurnia & Raya Lucaria Academy. [regular +11/somber +5]
  • Level 64 after south Caelid & Redmane Castle -excluding Crubible+Misbegotten and War Dead Catacombs boss. [regular +14]
  • Level 68 after Nokron. [+16]
  • Level 76 after Deeproot Depths & Nokstella. [+17]
  • Level 79 after Lake of Rot & Grand Cloiser. [+17]
  • Level 83 after Moonlight Altar plateau in Liurnia. [somber +9]
  • Level 89 after Mt. Gelmir -including Ruin-Strewn Precipice boss, excluding VM shardbearer. [regular +23]
  • Level 98 after Altus Plateau & Capital Outskirts -excluding Draconic Tree Sentinel. [+23]
  • Level 106 after Leyndell. [+23]
  • Level 109 after Subterranean Shunning-grounds -including Fell Twins from Divine Tower. [+23]
  • Level 120 after Forbidden Lands & Mountaintops of the Giants. [+23]
  • Level 129 after VM sharderer & Dragonbarrow- including War Dead Catacombs boss. [+23]
  • Level 135 after Farum Azula. [+25]
  • Level 140 after Moghwyn Palace- includes Crucible+Misbegotten because I forgot about them until now.
  • Level 148 after Consecrated Snowfield.
  • Level 154 after Haligtree.
  • Level 156 for final boss. Final boss xp allows for leveling three more times, to 159.
*I started the game by grinding 10 STR so I could wield my first colossal weapon. I am not including those levels in this list.
*I did eat Golden Runes but not Remembrances.
*Whenever I did co-op I burnt the xp on items.
*I had a couple blips on the EldenERA group tag but otherwise no xp boosts.
  1. I had a lot of trouble with the Lichdragon due to a mechanic I didn't even know existed when I fought it with my casters.
  2. Adjacent to Lichdragon, I think there are way too many enemies in the game that have moves where you can't get near them for a while. Things like Godskin Noble's fire circle, Valiant Gargoyle poison, Mogh's puddle, or Malenia's flower. It's really annoying.
  3. I didn't know Morgott did ninja flips and cartwheels. The man was zoomin'.
  4. My casters had spells that could knock Malenia p1 down over and over again. Despite powerstancing colossal weapons, I could only occasionally get a weapon art like Lion's Claw to knock her down. She kept using hyperarmor to go through it. I ended up switching to Royal Knight's Resolve because Lion's Claw didn't work lol. However, colossal weapons can flinch p2 quite a bit and stagger her.
  5. Maliketh p2 did not bother me as a colossal weapon user, which surprised me based on the comments I read here. I guess the 1.04 recovery changes help. Actually I was a lot more scared of Maliketh p1... Did not use the p2 parry item because I don't react fast enough/can't be bothered.
  6. I don't think I ever really grasped how to dodge Hoarah Loux's attacks. I thought it was jumping but that didn't work. I thought it was standing on the part that wasn't earthy/rocky/lava but that didn't work. Rolling sometimes worked.
  7. I got really confused when Radagon started teleporting and nothing personal kid-ing me but I still killed him first attempt. I thought I was going to enjoy the fight with him more based on how he acted when I played caster, but I didn't like him once he started teleporting.
  8. The huge advantage of STR is you just get up to your weapon requirement then level VIG/END to 60 since most of the damage comes from your weapon upgrade. There is also no flask splitting like with caster. I'm used to running around with like 6 or 7 HP flasks, I kept looking down and seeing I had 8 or 10 left and I was like HUH??
  9. Need more ultra-heavy armors I don't want to choose between burnt potato and horn boobs (arms clip through the latter if you are 2handing)
  10. There's an annoying issue with co-op in that you don't get the effects of a Great Rune while you are in co-op, so if you rely on it to wield a weapon or wear your usual armor set you will suddenly be unable to use the weapon or start fatrolling when you join another person's game.
  11. Colossal powerstance moveset is boring, I really like the individual moveset for Giant-Crusher and Prelate's Inferno Crozier. Hated Golem's Halberd despite its praises being sung on the wiki, tricking me into thinking it was good!
  12. COLOSSAL weapons have surprisingly short range.
  13. A lot of colossal weapons can't be infused. Great Club can't be infused! Why would you do this

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020

You should said you are into masochism and it may be works, it sound more suitable reason to die 60 times against a boss.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want to start a thread for this question, so I figure I'll just pop into this thread and see if a side bar discussion is possible.

This is kind of inflammatory I think, given the nature of this fanbase, but brace yourselves:

Why do FROM fan make so many excuses for this developer? Poor controls, terrible button layout, generation spanning performance issues, and very little experimentation or iteration...so why is this developer immune to criticisms that absolutely level other studios?

Most recently with Elden Ring, it seems like From has their head so far up their own asses that it works to the detriment of their games. Instead of asking themselves questions, it feels like they just charged forward with whatever they put on paper or had in their head.

So why are all of these shortcomings overlooked and excused?
I would have liked a game that wasnt just Dark Souls 4 but even still I dont feel like we got the same kind of retread that was present in DS3. I never once felt like "Oh, we're doing this again?" with this game like I did with DS3 despite really liking that game as well. For me the combat has gotten stale but the overall experience is still great/excellent while at the same time making improvements to the old systems.

Magic is still utterly finicky and quite unrewarding but even those have had nice additions that make a predominantly melee user happy to stick with it longer this time around.

The UI/UX is still bad but not worse than before so I make due. We really should have a spell wheel by now I think or something similar.

Until someone can come up with a game that matches the quality of the Fromsoft experience what can you do 🤷‍♂️ Tbf most of the stuff can be considered minor and generally I trust them with their decisions, game wise.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The classic greatsword, gonna go to weeping peninsula and get the grafted sword so I can dual wield colossal weapons. What are you rocking for pure faith? I want to do some pure FTH and INT builds eventually.

Man, I gotta say I missed this dumb shit. Having to barely use armor so you can roll with your big dumb weapon... I always play like this but in ER magic is so fun and hybrid builds got so much love took me two full runs to get to it!!!
Oh yeah Greatsword is brilliant, and so easy to get early.

I'm still experimenting with my faith build. I made a beeline to the Blasphemous Blade, but I respecced to the minimum STR/DEX required for it, using a Soreseal so I could move all my points into FTH. I'm hurling a lot of lightning spears and collecting the dragon incantations as they're all cool.

You should said you are into masochism and it may be works, it sound more suitable reason to die 60 times against a boss.
Maybe I am! But I found previous FromSoft games harder than ER. Sekiro felt almost impossible for me, at times. The victory, after all those tries, felt so sweet. I want that in my games.