• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
This game is good, but some of the design decisions have me scratching my head.

Like, there's a spot where there's a super tall ladder that you can climb, right next to a Spirit Spring that would take you up to the exact same spot in a tenth of the time. Why is this ladder even here? Is it for those that don't know that to get back down you can either just warp, or use the Spirit Spring? Is it for those that just love climbing ladders?

Also, there are a few instances where there's a grace point right outside of a boss arena, then one directly inside. This might make some sense in boss arenas that are gigantic, but less so in areas like the one in Aeonia Swamp. There's literally one just a few seconds away.
I think the ladder you're referring to exists for notorrent runs, but the game also makes torrent/round table mandatory so idk. Games design is odd af

Jan 11, 2019
I am bad at Souls games, and I honestly just want the easiest way to get through the game.
What's probably the best class and keepsake to start with, and build to go towards? I keep reading Vagabond, but wouldn't Prisoner be better due to dex/int with a starting spell?
Play a holy vanquisher! You wear plate armour and weild a great shield along with a greatsword. You augment this greatsword to scale with faith and anything that you cannot vanquish and drive back into the dark by blade you sear with flames and lightning from afar. Whatever foe comes close despairs as you shrug of hits with your shield. After battle, you bathe in holy light and mend your wounds. Clad in faith and brimming with righteous fury you go on, never afeared that damned souls or desperate men could ever even so much put a scratch on your plate nor your ironclad faith.

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on Arcane scaling weapons that are bugged and don't scale at all getting a patch?

I am loving the arcane route but may want to respec into something else while we await a patch.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Man Commander Niall is kicking my ass! I haven't struggled with a boss in this games since Margit, how do you all defeated this guy?

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
yeah, this is a souls staple that I absolutely hate (and one I've assumed is in place because of vsync). There is an absurd delay on all inputs just because which makes basic control annoying and then it's compounded by the fact that the game also has button buffering.
yes!!
that feels bad in some situations.

20 hours played, beated the first main boss and am fighting that second main boss in the castle.

Honestly, still not impressed to what I am seeing here!

I thought some enemies, specially those birds in the castle, are really not fun to fight.

Still waiting to be wowed after all those insane reviews but it feels just so damn similar to dark souls, Bloodborne at the moment.

Also, I am really thinking that the game is incredible obsolete tech wise.

Specially in the boss fights game can look cool but the majority of time, I am thinking the game looks very ugly, dated and not interesting at all to look at.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm only at a play clock of about 35 hours, though with several restarts, I'd estimate my total play time with this game so far is about 60 hours.

I'm not burning out in a way that suggests that this game has any problems, but in a way that just feels like I've pretty much gotten everything I want out of this game. Each session is getting shorter and shorter, where I disengage more quickly than the last.

It'll be odd, this is both the most that I've enjoyed a Souls game to date and the fastest I've burnt out on one. Since I don't count Sekiro as a Souls game (it's an action game in my eyes), this will also be the only one besides Dark Souls II (which I didn't like) that I haven't beaten in its launch period. I think I could easily see myself returning to it and finishing it later, and I haven't hit any difficulty walls or anything to make me feel like I'm quitting out of frustration. In fact, there's no frustration at all in my considering walking away from this -- it's just merely a fizzle out of engagement.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
After getting nowhere with Rennala I suddenly whupped her ass without even getting hit in the second phase, you just have to be super aggressive to stop her casting

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
What happen if you use the general as a summon?

He disappear after 50% HP, and doesn't come down

This is like a Pokemon battle
EB vs ANV

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Just started NG+1, are there any difference like new armor etc or just mobs with more stealth?

More HP, you can try different thing this time though even on the same quest.

Like for example Preceptor Seluvis potion
You can do it normally and reach the option of giving it to Nepheli(Get her ash) or give to her dad.
Or feed it to Dung Eater and get him as a summon.

And he also has a quest to betray Ranni by making a potion that can turn her into his puppet too.

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018
Man Commander Niall is kicking my ass! I haven't struggled with a boss in this games since Margit, how do you all defeated this guy?

For me I used a summon (Mimic Tear) to occupy Niall while I quickly burst down his two adds with Moonveil spam and a DPS boosting mixed flask. Once it's just the boss it's a lot easier. Feels like a DPS check in a way, it's much more important to have a build that can burst than an outlasting build.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
More HP, you can try different thing this time though even on the same quest.

Like for example Preceptor Seluvis potion
You can do it normally and reach the option of giving it to Nepheli(Get her ash) or give to her dad.
Or feed it to Dung Eater and get him as a summon.

And he also has a quest to betray Ranni by making a potion that can turn her into his puppet too.

Thanks! Was hoping maybe some new weapon or armor late game on +.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I am bad at Souls games, and I honestly just want the easiest way to get through the game.
What's probably the best class and keepsake to start with, and build to go towards? I keep reading Vagabond, but wouldn't Prisoner be better due to dex/int with a starting spell?

Start with either Prisoner or Astrologer. Astrologer has the easier to use (not necessarily better in all cases) spell though that will be a staple throughout the entire game. If you want a huge head start, you can get both a staff and a spell from what is considered a mid-level area part of the game extremely early that will skyrocket your power and make basically the first two major areas a breeze.

In Limgrave, go to the Dragon-Burnt ruins, which is about the middle of the lake. There will be a chest that will teleport you into a dungeon you cannot possibly go through at your level/experience with these games. Turn around and walk out. Head left and keep going (SE) and you'll find a grace point. From there head West and go West and occasionally South to avoid the geysers until you reach Street of Sages Ruins. Around there you'll find both a Staff with S scaling (max scaling) and also in the same area (not the exact same spot with the staff though) you will find a spell called Rock Sling, that does physical damage. It's a very powerful spell, and that staff also has an added bonus of making "gravity" (physical) spells do more damage.

Beyond that, you will get a spell later that absolutely melts bosses easier than pretty much anything else in the game, and a bit later than that you will get the ability to cast two at the same time. Keep raising both your INT and MND until they are at least 30 and 20 then raise your VIT to at least 15 (go for 25 - 30 eventually though).

Grab the Golden Seed too.

Enjoy easy mode.

I wouldnt go Prisoner. Dex/Int is a weird combination to begin with. Later it may work once you get a weapon, but Astrologer is probably the best class to begin with, if magic is your thing. If you want to go melee, Vagabond is really good! And the Crimson Amber Medallion is probably best keepsake for a new person.

The seed allows you to get an additional flask sooner. That matters a bit more than a few more HP IMO. Also, INT/DEX is for Moonveil, which is anything but weird. It also allows for hybrid play fairly seamlessly. You just wouldn't want to raise DEX beyond the requirements. It doesn't really do much for casting speed.

Last edited:

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
So uh...what am I supposed to do after Rennala? What unlocked? This whole area felt skippable since I already went to Altus

Yup if you've already been to Altus I reckon you didn't really need to beat Rennala... Although I'm not sure if killing all shardbearers is a requirement for the ending. At least you now have the ability to respec your character which is really useful, and you can also buy her sick hat lol

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
This game is good, but some of the design decisions have me scratching my head.

Like, there's a spot where there's a super tall ladder that you can climb, right next to a Spirit Spring that would take you up to the exact same spot in a tenth of the time. Why is this ladder even here? Is it for those that don't know that to get back down you can either just warp, or use the Spirit Spring? Is it for those that just love climbing ladders?

Also, there are a few instances where there's a grace point right outside of a boss arena, then one directly inside. This might make some sense in boss arenas that are gigantic, but less so in areas like the one in Aeonia Swamp. There's literally one just a few seconds away.
the ladder is when you summon a friend and cant jump with torrent

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
An npc mentioned something about a shortcut from the water wheel in Raya Lucaria to an erdtree but I never found anything of the sort?

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Been running Uchigatana + Hoarfrost for a long while and it's been wrecking everything, but decided to change things up and swapped to Moonveil.
Doesn't feel like I'm doing as much damage?.. on the other hand moonveil's specials are a bit more fun..
I've been running Moonveil + Uchi on left hand (with a frost ash), it shreds almost everything, doubly so with the mimic. So many bleed + frost procs.
The Moonveil skill staggers most enemies pretty fast AND has some range, it's the main advantage of the moonveil.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I don't believe FROM what they did with magicians in the Academy? Are they serious lmao?

If you're talking about the approach to the mid-boss in that area, you can actually run past everyone once you know the path. I do agree that their homing attacks are a tad ridiculous lol

On my initial run-through I lured them out one-by-one with a bow tho and that seemed to work ok

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
SPoiler tag this stuff, please.
Sorry~ I have done so,

Thanks! Was hoping maybe some new weapon or armor late game on +.

The "new" stuff are more of modder doing stuff.

Item and param randomiser is something like the rogue like mode.
www.nexusmods.com

Item and param randomiser

Mod which randomises every item in Elden Ring (excluding materials). With additonal options to randomise any other game params that you want to

And summoning mod, one that allow you to summon anywhere and limit.

And another that allow you to summon demi-gods and bosses.
And see Boss fighting Boss

And other mods that tweaks item and equipment.

Various "easy" mode, or "hard" mode that tweak equipment and item.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
An npc mentioned something about a shortcut from the water wheel in Raya Lucaria to an erdtree but I never found anything of the sort?
Patches says that if you get grabbed by the iron maiden enemy under the water wheel in the academy that it'll teleport you to beneath the Erdtree

It's fucking Patches though so it's bullshit. If it grabs you AND kills you with that attack (if you survive you won't be teleported) it won't teleport you to beneath the Erdtree, but somewhere else.

It'll send you to a hidden area in volcano manor, and you can't teleport out til you complete the mini dungeon.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Patches says that if you get grabbed by the iron maiden enemy under the water wheel in the academy that it'll teleport you to beneath the Erdtree

It's fucking Patches though so it's bullshit. If it grabs you AND kills you with that attack (if you survive you won't be teleported) it won't teleport you to beneath the Erdtree, but somewhere else.

It'll send you to a hidden area in volcano manor, and you can't teleport out til you complete the mini dungeon.
It's true that you can get grabbed under the wheel and get teleported.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
oh no i think i broke a quest haha. i killed a boss before i did the very last contract for VM. what did i miss out on? i wasn't thinking about it at all when i did that

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Due to that other thread I was worried about

godskin duo
but honestly beat on first try. Was one of the most simplest fights in the game. I was having more trouble with the bloody knights before it TBH

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The one on the left, a 20 year old store that has sold the chicken feet food at the price of 26.8 rmb(About $4 USD) for 10 bag, 3000+ people buy(confirm paid)
Elden Ring Rune for 288rmb($45 USD) 10000+ people buy (Confirm paid)
unknown-78.jpg

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Now that I've reached whatever boss this is...

Morz8jM.jpg

ucKcbAJ.jpg

340hI6H.jpg

...I guess I'll finally explore Caelid. I did say I would stop and go back if I reached someone who looked important. This boss I didn't actually go in, I'm just kinda observing some contextual clues here. Then again I didn't think (Farum Azula boss) Religious Scooby Doo was important and look where that got me!

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a way to know you missed a boss or something in an area. Fuck if I remember what parts I got distracted from last week

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
So, it seems i'm not getting achievements anymore (Steam version) . Will i get them back with time or am i screwed ? This is very disappointing...

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
Guys help i defeated the last boss and my game crashed during the ending cutscene now, I am outside the boss fog and can't get in i got the soul and runes but is there a weapon or no?.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Use bewitching branches on his guards and watch them fuck him up.
Shit I never thought of this, I only have a couple of them that bought from a merchant though
Fully upgraded Mimic Tear and bleed weapon worked for me. Kill his sidekicks first.
i tried to make a bleed build too but I guess mine is not as effective (I'm using reduvia + eleonora's poleblade) eleonora's weapon art makes quick work of his side kicks but I struggle to make him bleed afterwards

For me I used a summon (Mimic Tear) to occupy Niall while I quickly burst down his two adds with Moonveil spam and a DPS boosting mixed flask. Once it's just the boss it's a lot easier. Feels like a DPS check in a way, it's much more important to have a build that can burst than an outlasting build.
Yeah moonveil would be amazing against this boss but I literally just respec before entering this area and I don't wanna go back to my old moonveil build lol, i have a bunch of larval tears though so I might if I have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.