• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
ashes are a core mechanic of the game and a tool you're given plenty of as rewards, so definitely

This
They're very important tools to be using in some of these fights and going out of your way not to use them is gonna lead to a bad time - fights against multiple enemies are made *much* more manageable if there's a summon doing some of the damage and stealing some of the attention to give you breathing room

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I just 2 shot
Malenia
Used Ruins Greatsword 2 handed, just kept stunning her and stunning her after her openings I would get 3 whole hits in, that weapon is truly this games GOAT full strength weapon for sure, just demolishes human enemies

I feel you like you just took it personally because your names are similar :p

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Am I fucking missing something with the jump mechanic? Trying to make jumps in
Haligtree for the treasure and shortcut
and I don't even come close. I'm getting kind of fed up with this game, which I thought I'd never be. I feel like I can't go 10 feet in late game without it kicking me in the fucking balls over and over.

the sorcerers at halig that spam magic and you do the logical thing by rolling behind them, but nah they have magic hammers with no wind up that creates an aoe that zaps half my HP in one hit.

Anyone who says this is easier than souls is out of their fucking minds.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
and I don't even come close. I'm getting kind of fed up with this game, which I thought I'd never be. I feel like I can't go 10 feet in late game without it kicking me in the fucking balls over and over.

the sorcerers at halig that spam magic and you do the logical thing by rolling behind them, but nah they have magic hammers with no wind up that creates an aoe that zaps half my HP in one hit.

The endgame is harder than any game I've ever played besides Ghosts and Goblins and such

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
I think I hit my first BRICK wall in this game..

Those three summons in front of the big pot. What in the actual fuck? Literally every one of those summons is ridiculously OP. Not only am I doing chip damage, they either one or two shot me. On top of that they all use that Ice Stomp move. Fuck outta here with that bullshit. This shit needs to be nerfed asap.
You're summoning them one by one right?
Did it around lvl 100 and it was tough but not bad at all.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Imma be real, I think Fire Giant is bullshit.
I'm getting the feeling other people don't like this as much as I do lol. I definitely don't think it's going to be friendly to certain playstyles, and it certainly helps if you can deftly claw grip and switch between your camera views, but I really think it might be one of my favorite bosses in these games. I'm very excited to get back in there and kill him today, I've even rewatched my last try again today to identify what I can do better.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The knight attack everyone mentions is the only one in the second phase I can consistently dodge lmao

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

What is your build? This game can be the easiest because there's so many tools to make the game easy mode.

Mimic Tear is pretty much a spirit AI who will play your character for you and take care of 50-90% of the bosses health. I think every boss except for the second phase of the final boss can be inflicted with scarlet rot. Which means you can apply it 1-2 times and just focus on running away while they slowly die. Hoarfrost stomp can just stunlock most enemies including bosses while giving them forstbite. Bleed weapons especially dual katanas just melt boss hp pools. Putting barricade on a decent shield means you can tank most boss attacks and use the guard counter. The list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Trying to get one of those big bird witch whatever the fuck monstrosities at Castle Morne to drop me a Longshaft Axe is so annoying. I have looped the site of grace by the bridge 30 times so far to just speed kill the one right there and they just won't give up the goods.

I want that greataxe dammit. I wonder how many times I can stand to do this, I'm already getting Final Fantasy flashbacks. How rare is this drop, I need a loot table.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if some of the stronger weapons will be nerfed. I re-speced into an Int build, I'm using Moonveil and the game is a complete cakewalk now.

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
To hell with Mimic Tear give me Millicent as a spirit summon lol
Got to the last part of her quest and heard we'd have to fight 4 NPC invaders so I get ready for the fight of a lifetime. Run in and grab the agro of the first one I see to try to get them out the way as fast as possible. NPC hits like a damn truck but I take em out pretty fast. Turn around and Millicent is fighting one who is at half health. Hmm I thought there was supposed to be 4. Maybe after we take this one out the other two will spawn. So we finish her and get the success sign. I'm confused. Start talking to Mil and she mentions 4 sisters again and that's when I realized she just off screened the other 2 and almost killed the third while I was busy fighting 1 of them.
What a badass!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Still finding out new things as I play. Keep on making new characters lol.

Just found the Crazy early dragon kill for loads of souls early. I love how From have these things to offer early help.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Mountaintop really reminded me of DS1's wider areas like the forest. There is one way forward and a couple of loops and a good amount of area that doesn't have much content. I really enjoyed this zone. It's completely different from the mountain climb of Mt. Gelmir, and a little less density in content is good for this point in the game I thought. I really like how they just threw all the weird stuff from their games in this zone. There is the invisible bridge, the undead boss that doesn't have a meter to hide it and slightly (or in my case greatly) confuse the player on what to do with the giant summons, a little frigid outskirt thing but just briefly, etc. The three dungeons here are also really good as the game at this point has shown everything, so it just tried to have fun with it. One dungeon was a maze which I second guessed myself a few times but realized fairly quickly. The hero's grave here is very basic with just small puzzles and an invisible wall to make things not as difficult to reward those that are still hitting stuff. The spiritcaller's cave makes it about finding the snails instead of fighting stuff. I also really enjoyed the boss at spiritcaller's cave. I bothered to learn the moveset of the godskin bosses so this felt like a mini-boss rush to test whether I actually knew them or not. I can imagine this one being annoying due to lack of stake though, but I really enjoyed it as, much like Margit/Morgott, I can test how much improvement there is in my play and loadout.

The fire giant seems to be the spectacle fight of the game (Radahn is partially spectacle too but mechanically it's still standard 1v1 in my opinion) where torrent really makes the fire giant moveset make a lot more sense in terms of function, for phase 1 at least. I liked that there is visual difference to his legs to show which one you should attack and a mini transition when the support bone gets broken off. I liked the presentation of the fight, although was a little disappointed that the quick shots from the trailer weren't anything meaningful. Its HP is quite a bit but during phase transition he loses like 20% of it so it's actually not too bad, although another 10% lower probably wouldn't hurt. Lower total, higher HP threshold for phase 2, and it might flow a bit better. I wonder how smaller weapons would feel here.

I like that the grace is at the far end of the forge. It gave the player a chance to look around at the sheer scale of everything. The mountaintop is so high that it's above the clouds and you can't see anything that came before, unlike at all other points in the game where you can trace where you came from. I still have west side of the mountains to explore so I haven't accepted what I'm assuming is some kind of lockout from Melina. I thought it would have been crazy if end of Capital is the halfway point, and that was indeed a bit too out there. The mountain top zone felt like a really well developed Kiln of the First Flame zone instead, but unlike the Kiln, reaching the destination here is not yet the end of the game I'm sure. There is still crumbling faram azula left at least.

I want to note that there is a really clear jump in expected level and upgrade required from capital to mountaintop. I did the game as (thoroughly exploring each zone before moving to next) Limgrave, Liurnia, Caelid, most (all?) underground stuff (siofra, ainsel, ainsel main, both eternal cities, deeproot, lake of rot), Altus, Mt. Gelmir/Volcano Manor, Leyndell, Mountaintop. I was properly or just slightly overleveled till Lake of Rot, and Altus, Mt. Gelmir, and first part of leyndell I just felt way overleveled (it felt like expected upgrade level is also around 14-15 but I was already higher when entering the capital). However once you hit mountains, and to a lesser degree sewers, there is a pretty big jump in enemy HP. I think I would do Limgrave, Liurnia, Altus, Caelid, Capital, underground for subsequent playthroughs which should feel pretty accurate in upgrade progression at least. Since Volcano Manor needs mountaintop to completely grab everything (I screwed that up this time), and while the zone is really cool to navigate the enemy type was pretty dull and the boss is gimmick, it won't matter if I'm overleveled for it.

I felt a bit of a slog during latter part of Liurnia and early parts of caelid due to lack of clear direction when just trying to explore the giant maps, and also a little more fatigue when I was overleveled for all of altus plateau and parts of volcano manor. But from the Capital through mountaintop I thought the pacing of the content has been really solid. It might be because going through the zone is more focused and linear in a way, which is what I prefer as I don't like open world in general. That being said, I think Elden Ring being open world is necessary for a lot of the moments to hit properly. I'm not at the end yet but I think they struck a really good balance between open world and linear content in this game.

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
FFS now I'm trying a boss that's easy but since I'm used to M's timings I'm getting curbstomped

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Somebody point me in the right direction. Everything in Limgrave is done. I've cleared (I'm guessing) an overwhelming majority of Liurnia including the main boss there. I'm likely going to mop up the remaining bosses here, but then should I go north or head over to Caelid? Also, I've explored Siofra River and Ainsel River, killing
both Dragonkins
and the fire puzzle one as well. Is there anything huge in Liurnia I should take care of, and where to head to next? I've also pushed forward with Ranni's quest up to the point where I was told to take down
Radahn

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised you didn't just, idk, choose to spawn on the stake to see what would happen. Lol
I'm too embarrassed to even mention what I though that option would do.

I thought Marike Stake was the name of the chapel where the game starts. I thought "maybe that's the game's way of saying: how about you try something other than the boss you were fighting?"

I'll see myself out.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Somebody point me in the right direction. Everything in Limgrave is done. I've cleared (I'm guessing) an overwhelming majority of Liurnia including the main boss there. I'm likely going to mop up the remaining bosses here, but then should I go north or head over to Caelid? Also, I've explored Siofra River and Ainsel River, killing
both Dragonkins
and the fire puzzle one as well. Is there anything huge in Liurnia I should take care of, and where to head to next? I've also pushed forward with Ranni's quest up to the point where I was told to take down
Radahn

Personally I went to
Radahn
next. Didn't actually clear Caelid properly for a long time because I *hate* that place.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
both Dragonkins
Radahn

I did Radahn before North but I don't think it matters and I was probably underleveled for that. OTOH
Caelid can potentially give you a different option for how you reach the next location north of Liurnia

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to get the talisman that restores FP after killing enemies. I know it's something you can get after defeating Regal Spirit in Nokron (so?). However, I beat that boss and didn't get the remembrance. Someone on Reddit mentioned that there's a different boss that appears there after defeating Radahn, but unless I'm missing something it's not there.

Please don't tell me the game bugged me out of getting that remembrance! 🥲

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get the talisman that restores FP after killing enemies. I know it's something you can get after defeating Regal Spirit in Nokron (so?). However, I beat that boss and didn't get the remembrance. Someone on Reddit mentioned that there's a different boss that appears there after defeating Radahn, but unless I'm missing something it's not there.

Please don't tell me the game bugged me out of getting that remembrance! 🥲
You beat the wrong boss. Try lighting some flames in that area

Status
Not open for further replies.