• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Liurnia swamp is a lot.. and either I'm unlucky, or they are really stingy with the Sites of Grace. Rode Torrent all around looking for one. Is this still a richly designed area filled with secrets and things to explore? Or should I just burn past it? Definitely not as inviting as Limgrave, lol.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm actually curious how fans who were against the inclusion of any form of journal prior to release, feel about it now that they've played the game. @Morrigan ?
I have a google doc of my own notes and it's GREAT

I wouldn't want an in-game journal because then it would spoil me on what's important and what isn't

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
There is an EXTREMELY SUBSTANTIAL rooftop path that covers a ton of the academy grounds, yeah. I can't remember where the entrance is but it's a LONG path and it has a ton of items in it, including the extra glintstone key Thops asked you to find for him.

that's still the same path we were talking about before, haha

sorry to bother you with this, i'm getting crazy, can't find at all where it could be

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
PSA: If you are missing a map piece, on the incomplete map there is often a tiny red pillar symbol. That is where you acquire the map piece.

It isn't on all of them, but most of the beginning ones it is there. Made it a lot easier to get map pieces.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually curious how fans who were against the inclusion of any form of journal prior to release, feel about it now that they've played the game. Morrigan ?

I for one do wish I could at least have a conversation log that just keeps a history of everything someone has said to me or what note I picked up. It's hard remembering everything everyone has said or wants from me.
I didn't follow the game pre-release, but at least post release I'm massively in favour of it not choosing to include a journal.

For me there's two advantages; the lack of one puts more pressure on using the map markers, and in some cases it also pushes you towards dealing with the elements of a quest now (while you remember) rather than leaving it in a backlog until later (since you won't forget).

In most games I don't believe this would work, but for the Souls games I think it works well.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
A cool mod for the PC version could be an in-game text editor for taking notes. I know we can alt tab but I feel like HDR freaks the fuck out on PC when I do that for some reason
Yeah also if I change my volume, a windows overlay pops up and my colors are all messed up for a second

The game is super saturated with HDR. It looks amazing - I was shocked looking at a screenshot I took because it's not HDR - the colors are SO much more dull that it looks like a different game. I feel like... it doesn't actually look like that in game with non HDR lol. Something going on there

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If I unenchant a weapon after applying an ash of war to it do I get the ash of war back or is it lost forever?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
If I unenchant a weapon after applying an ash of war to it do I get the ash of war back or is it lost forever?
The only ashes of war you can lose are the ones that come naturally on the weapon. If you overwrite the original and don't have that ash of war in your inventory you can't get it back.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, having played im only more enthusiastic about the game not having a journal—the one I'm keeping has added to my enjoyment a lot

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Im getting a bit stressed trying to remember all my active npc quests stages. I really should have took notes lmao. At first I really like the no quest log aspect now not so sure.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
That frostbite axe (forgot the name or where to get it) is fucking nuts. The art one shots some groups of enemies for like 10 FP.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The only ashes of war you can lose are the ones that come naturally on the weapon. If you overwrite the original and don't have that ash of war in your inventory you can't get it back.
Ah this is good to know. Wish I could experiment with this game's systems without worrying about it autosaving.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually curious how fans who were against the inclusion of any form of journal prior to release, feel about it now that they've played the game. Morrigan ?

I for one do wish I could at least have a conversation log that just keeps a history of everything someone has said to me or what note I picked up. It's hard remembering everything everyone has said or wants from me.

I slightly disagree, I try to avoid guides when I can but part of the reason I love these games is the community and learning from guides and contributing my own input. It's also why the note system is great. Right now got a 50+ rated message just warning folks about a pretty nasty ambush.

genuienly think that if it wasnt for that jason tweet, barely anyone would think of even keeping an actual journal.

it just seems like the kind of busy work that i dont want to do during playing, so i made peace with the fact that ill miss out on a bunch of stuff because i dont really remember my npc encounters 25 gameplay hours ago.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
For some of the quests, do I HAVE to summon the NPC? Or can I do the fight solo, and that NPC's quest will still continue? I don't really want help on the bosses, but don't want to miss quests either.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why but certain weapons just feel shorter than they used to. I'm using the scimitar at the moment and I get an opening like "aw yeah" and just miss a bunch of it. Gotta be right up in the boss' ass. This is the first Souls game where I feel like such a terrible judge of distance

Recreate

Sep 16, 2021
Finding it really hard to jump back into this game since the weekend. Not because I don't want to but works stacking up atm. Been working 55-60 hours a week this year and I feel like elden ring needs a good 3 or 4 hour session at a time. Guess I'll be waiting until the weekend

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
You can find it here in the middle of some enemies.

rL4G52.png
sweet thanks
I saw him perched on top of
ruins in the mistwood. You'll hear howling when you're close.
Head to Mistwood Ruins, then use the emote when prompted.

Then he shows up outside of Darriwil's Evergaol, regardless of whether or not you've already beaten Darriwil. Talk to him there and then you have to wait a while to see him again.

Welp I still can't find him, maybe I did something wrong

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Today and tomorrow I can only play one hour or so and it's driving me insane, I just want to keep playing.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It pops up a tutorial and explains it. There's a back log of tutorials in your inventory you can read.

I think one of the best pieces of advice is to make sure you read and understand all the information the game presents to you (read it out loud to yourself, even). Go in to your inventory and read about new items, including the different views they offer. Check explanations of all the different parts of the menu. Listen to what the characters have to says and speak to them multiple times. Just mashing through menus will leave you with blindspots.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The game is super saturated with HDR. It looks amazing - I was shocked looking at a screenshot I took because it's not HDR - the colors are SO much more dull that it looks like a different game. I feel like... it doesn't actually look like that in game with non HDR lol. Something going on there
In my understanding it's completely normal that HDR footage looks off without HDR, it doesn't just "scale down" to look like standard non-HDR.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me the name of the enemy (not a boss) that's a humanoid robot with multiple arms that rapid fires arrows and spins its arms around with swords?

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anywhere that shows what upgrading the ash summons actually does? It feels like I'm wasting resources without seeing hard stats. Super frustrating.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to go to Caelid but the invader by the entrance killed me in one hit so I guess this is an area for later

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How much exploration Is it encouraged?

Like I started exploring all the south and south east portion of the map and was having a good time before realizing that maybe I'll be forced to return back here at some point. I found a tree with an elevator and went to some underworld that was super pretty but also the enemies were super difficult so I just assumed I had veered too far off the beaten path. I tried to fight Margit but he was too difficult for me and I just want to keep exploring.

The thing Im worried about is im going to spend all this time "exploring" and then be forced to come back to that portion of the game later for questing but maybe those worries are baseless and Im intended to just explore.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
It pops up a tutorial and explains it. There's a back log of tutorials in your inventory you can read.

I would have sworn that somewhere along the line the game either says, or strongly implies, that after use, the war artes are lost if you unenchant them, as if they were consumables.

I had to google to make sure that wasn't the case.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Liurnia swamp is a lot.. and either I'm unlucky, or they are really stingy with the Sites of Grace. Rode Torrent all around looking for one. Is this still a richly designed area filled with secrets and things to explore? Or should I just burn past it? Definitely not as inviting as Limgrave, lol.
in my experience, and if I'm wrong may be someone can correct me, there is not much on the swamp itself, there is more on the edges, on the actually ground parts of the area. Still the swamp itself has some secrets, including a NPC questline I found, but not may bosses.

also there is a good amount of graces around there as well, I think you need to check a bit more.

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
Does anyone know if it's possible to farm grave glovewarts? The wiki makes it sound like they are static in the world. I want to upgrade my spirits but I'm afraid I won't have enough materials to upgrade a better spirit later.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The HDR is incredible. The game's graphical fidelity is really great, but it's not exactly mindblowing in this day and age IMO. But that HDR really adds an extra bit of something and it ends up looking really special at times. Really love how dark the caves get, then any time a light source pops off the HDR contrast is just super eye catching. Great looking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.