• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If exclusives didn't matter Nintendo would be in trouble...

Sony's biggest exclusives games sell more than all but the biggest multiplats. If you limited many of those multiplats to one platform they would sell less than the exclusives.
Nintendo was in trouble with the WiiU and Gamecube. Did they all of the sudden not know how to make games during those two generations?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This only mattered for what, 8 months out of 7 years? The Xbox priced matched before the next holiday season. What was the excuse then? I'm not convince digital foundry 900p vs 1080 was the. The tie breaker......

Price matched? Yes. Power matched ? Nope.
Additionally, marketing deals for Destiny, Batman and Black Ops 3 cemented the deal.

the narrative about games difference didn't really solidify until 2016.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People think the ps4 won because of its exclusives but it won because you paid $100 less for more powerful hardware.

Exclusives are 2 things fanboy list fodder for console warriors and for people who actually play games instead of lists they're cherries on top.

Exclusives are excellent but GTA 6 early timed dlc would help sell more consoles then any single exclusive. People play 3rd party overwhelmingly more.
It also won because of the games. Price is big yes but if both systems are the same price than it comes down to the games.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Pricing is a factor in all products... this isn't just a console thing.

Also exclusives do matter. Nintendo is proof of that.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Nintendo fans were still around, they were just buying the handhelds instead of the consoles
Oh, so they went from consoles to handhelds then back to consoles then back to handhelds?

People think the ps4 won because of its exclusives but it won because you paid $100 less for more powerful hardware.

Exclusives are 2 things fanboy list fodder for console warriors and for people who actually play games instead of lists they're cherries on top.

Exclusives are excellent but GTA 6 early timed dlc would help sell more consoles then any single exclusive. People play 3rd party overwhelmingly more.
How boring would that be if we talked more about multiplat games than exclusive material. /s

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The less expensive console doesn't always win
Sure but it does when its more powerful and your competition shoots out their own kneecaps. What im saying is ps4 didn't win because of Horizon or God of War they were dessert. It won because of Microsofts stupid policies decisions before launch, higher price, weaker console, and focus on tv apps instead if making the gaming experience front and center. Sony would've won even without a single exclusive.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Duh. The majority want the hottest new thing at the lowest possible price.

It's not what I base my own choice on, but it seems obvious to me that most people, especially parents, want value.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It also won because of the games. Price is big yes but if both systems are the same price than it comes down to the games.

First party is a small factor. Most gamers care more about third party than first party. Sony had a massive advantage from the get go when it came to PS4 and Xbox One because MS shot themselves in the foot time and time again. Price, power, marketing, etc. all played a major role. The lack of exclusives narrative didn't come into play for several years after launch. Exclusives certainly help maintain success later in the generation, but they aren't the most important factor (or even the 2nd most important) at launch.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sure but like you said if, in the case of ps4 vs xbox, it wasn't just Sony doing good things (which they did we do have to give them credit) that won it for them it was also Microsoft doing bad things. They won by over 2 to 1 in sales, unlike last gen which was essentially a tie until like 2015.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think so i don't know where it is though
I still think marketing along with momentum leading up to release plus pricing are the key factors in the beginning of every generation for consoles. Then it becomes about the games that keeps that momentum going. I'm not suggesting all things are created equal going into next gen because obviously Sony has earned its reputation, but those who says it's all about exclusives are the same people who constantly disrupt message boards with their tribal attitudes.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
The price is such a minor factor for me given that the difference would be $200 at most and the consoles will last 5+ years. It's all about features and games for me.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those games weren't there until 2 years after the fact. Bloodborne came out in 3015, UC4 in 2016, horizon 2017 etc. the race was over in March 2014 when Titanfall couldn't push a $500 box over the PS4.
it was more than just that though, it was the third party deals, it was xbox pushing Kinect but all things being equal in price. Exclusive will be what pushes it

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
If cost for the PS5 is 450 I think 500 is a great price point for it. Please don't be arrogant Sony.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Price is a big factor no matter how many delusional people want to believe that everyone is walking around with 1200 dollar phone that gets exchanged yearly for another 1200 dollar phone upgrade and using that to weirdly justify higher console prices being a fine thing as if a console even brings the same general utility value even if we accepted that absolutely idiotic premise.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
If the new consoles launch @500, that's going to slow down the adoption rate, have to wonder for JPN software makers if it would be better to put their big guns on Switch, with up ports to the newer consoles.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Normies' opinions will always irritate me but it is the freaking norm and I have to deal with it. Jesus christ and Backwards Compatibility? Why do you want a next gen console then?

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is
I started off expecting $400 because it worked well the last 2 times (360 launch, ps4 launch)
now it looks like 500 minimum unless you get whatever nerfed xbox they sell

Flik

Feb 12, 2020
Normies' opinions will always irritate me but it is the freaking norm and I have to deal with it. Jesus christ and Backwards Compatibility? Why do you want a next gen console then?
Having access to previously purchased games, without needing to keep old hardware is bad?

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I now expect the nerfed xbox to do better than expected because everything else will cost too much

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's clear that what most users want is way out of step with what I'm looking for, that's for sure.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Princing will always bee the first question, why you think Microsoft been experimenting with a leasing plan like cellphones

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
If affordable price is the major factor I'd just stick with current gen. what the hell is the point of next gen benefits if no one is willing to pay for them?

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Having access to previously purchased games, without needing to keep old hardware is bad?

It is the lamest request ever. It is like you want to buy a new console for cool points and still play last gen games that you sold it to buy the new console. It makes no sense to me at all.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Obviously lol
PS4 got off to it's hot start because of the price, I legit spent $560+ for an Xbox one and dead rising 3, an extra $100 which stung

The two system approach Microsoft is doing will be pretty key

Oct 26, 2017
It is the lamest request ever. It is like you want to buy a new console for cool points and still play last gen games that you sold it to buy the new console. It makes no sense to me at all.
In this day and age, with more and more stuff being digital, your stuff tends to be carried forward, like music, movies, etc. It's not strange to want the same with games, especially when a lot of them have long term support for online gaming. You can want new games and want to be able to play older games

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
In this day and age, with more and more stuff being digital, your stuff tends to be carried forward, like music, movies, etc. It's not strange to want the same with games, especially when a lot of them have long term support for online gaming. You can want new games and want to be able to play older games

I guess. I always thought it was "meh" to me and I'll be glad to die on that hill.

Flik

Feb 12, 2020
I love playing brand new games with shining cutting edge graphics, but sometimes i like replaying old classics or older titles that I have missed. What's wrong with that? People still play Diablo 2 or Final Fantasy VI. Moreover with GaaS games that are beyond console generations it's nice to have an option of maintaning progression after jumping to new console. People will still be playing Minecraft, Fortnite and Rainbow Six after Ps5 and Xbox launch. It's also a matter of convienience. People don't have unlimited space to hold their old hardware

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I realize that the Elder Scrolls series hasn't been known for its tech in a while. Could probably have used a different example. :P
You might actually be right. TES was always held back by the consoles' horrible CPUs (BGS's games are more CPU-intensive because of the amount of objects in the world). Now that the consoles will actually have very good CPUs, TES will likely make a huge leap forward.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean this is probably why Sony is waiting for MS' move. They must know $500 is what make sense right now but if push come to shove, they know they'll have to take an L to keep that price advantage over MS. The only conundrum is the fact that MS might have 2 consoles SKU to potentially sandwich the PS5.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
For me it's Exclusives > Price > Features. Always has been.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I want better graphics and frame rate . I'll pay the premium if need be. I know I'm in the minority tho.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Exclusives should be much higher on that list. There's a reason PlayStation was able to continue leaving the Xbox in the dust well after the Mattrick disaster launch.