• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

read it in his voice
every hammy inflection, every forced syllable, clear as day
Dan's Megavolt has been seared in to my brain, and with the right combination of words he can live again, if only briefly
what dark sorcery is this

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the Darkwing episodes well enough but this season has been pretty mediocre compared to the previous in my opinion. There are way too many characters on the show and they're not great at balancing them.

One thing that struck me as odd in the Darkwing two-parter... So the machine pulls things from alternate universes. Right? Current Darkwing was a fan / actor who replaced previous Darkwing, also an actor. So since when is an in-universe TV show an alternate reality? Also, why were the villains real? Shouldn't they have been actors playing roles? This stuff is too convoluted for its own good. My recollection of the previous DW stuff isn't great so it's certainly possible I've forgotten some old explanation that clears this all right up!

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the Darkwing episodes well enough but this season has been pretty mediocre compared to the previous in my opinion. There are way too many characters on the show and they're not great at balancing them.

One thing that struck me as odd in the Darkwing two-parter... So the machine pulls things from alternate universes. Right? Current Darkwing was a fan / actor who replaced previous Darkwing, also an actor. So since when is an in-universe TV show an alternate reality? Also, why were the villains real? Shouldn't they have been actors playing roles? This stuff is too convoluted for its own good. My recollection of the previous DW stuff isn't great so it's certainly possible I've forgotten some old explanation that clears this all right up!
the book had a line from the person who invented the alternate universe device before, talking about how fiction is a window into other dimensions. a thoery which I, as someone who came up with that same idea when i was a kid, am a fan of.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this was a hell of a deep cut. Somebody at Disney loves their job;

DD8mJeK.jpg

Disney's Fluppy Dogs is a one-hour animated television special that aired on November 27 (Thanksgiving), 1986 on ABC, and was intended to be a pilot for the third Walt Disney Television animated series. The special suffered low ratings and it was cancelled. It featured five pastel-colored, or "fluppy", talking dogs that came through a fluppy interdimensional doorway and into the lives of Jamie and his teenage neighbor Claire.

4ni1mv5qd0731.jpg

And yes, I had to look up what it was in reference to, I was four when this originally aired.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
the book had a line from the person who invented the alternate universe device before, talking about how fiction is a window into other dimensions. a thoery which I, as someone who came up with that same idea when i was a kid, am a fan of.

Also wouldn't be surprise something like the device from a Darkwing Duck episode where a human created a device to view dimensions and made a cartoon show base on them.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this was a hell of a deep cut. Somebody at Disney loves their job;

DD8mJeK.jpg

4ni1mv5qd0731.jpg

And yes, I had to look up what it was in reference to, I was four when this originally aired.

It would be hilarious/great if a 30+ year pilot finally saw it's characters get popularity and have more done with them all because the right kids caught the show when it aired.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The 'every story is real in another dimension' was also the plot of a REALLY good episode of Justice League ("Legends" if anyone is interested). They did it in reverse though, with the League being transported into a fictional comic book world, but there was still a Launchpad (Green Lantern) who was a huge nerd for the source material and owed his career and life to it, same as in Ducktales.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The 'every story is real in another dimension' was also the plot of a REALLY good episode of Justice League ("Legends" if anyone is interested). They did it in reverse though, with the League being transported into a fictional comic book world, but there was still a Launchpad (Green Lantern) who was a huge nerd for the source material and owed his career and life to it, same as in Ducktales.
I mean it's a really old school idea, you can go back to the tale of 2 flash's comic where up till that point most golden Age heroes were comics in the silver age dc universe(and where Barry got his name), bit it turned out they were in an alternate parallel timeline instead(that later got remerged)

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I saw that one too but wasn't sure, maybe it's a Sword in the Stone reference, that looks a little like Archimedes and Arthur in squirrel form.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Funny that people are reaching for examples of fiction being alternate dimensions in other shows, when it was already the premise of a Darkwing Duck episode, "Twitching Channels".

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
so for some reason the new Ducktales episodes seem to be a week late on Disney XD? The Darkwing ep is up on the app, but didn't record on YoutubeTV.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Just caught up on the last three episodes on a binge last night. All three were great—the Darkwing episode was amazing. This show can do no wrong.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Late reminder that a new episode premieres tomorrow night on Disney XD and all-day on DisneyNOW and cable VOD.

Monday, Oct. 26
DuckTales "Escape from the ImpossiBin!"
(7:00-7:30 P.M. EDT)

With F.O.W.L. at their heels, Scrooge tests out the Money Bin's new security system on Louie and Della, while Beakley and Webby train the others for an enemy attack.
EktFleeXgAYE0u4

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
seeing a lot of praise for this week's episode from those who watched it early
gonna dig in myself in a bit

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
So I really liked last week's Darkwing Duck episode. I really want a Darkwing Reboot.

... I finished this week's episode noticiably more excited and pumped than I did last week's special event. This episode felt like the mid-season shake-up/halfway point that last week was advertised as.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
So I really liked last week's Darkwing Duck episode. I really want a Darkwing Reboot.

... I finished this week's episode noticiably more excited and pumped than I did last week's special event. This episode felt like the mid-season shake-up/halfway point that last week was advertised as.

It is the long awaited payoff to all of FOWL's toiling in the background that they have been doing for most of the season and escalates the stakes now that they can no longer do that.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this is important:
h9tIVnD.png

1876 was the year Hortense McDuck, Donald's Mother, was born. Hortense was mentioned and shown when Webby first met the nephews in the first episode.

VlobtRS.jpg

"The traitor" is on a note near Hortense and Quackmore.

I wonder if this is an actual thing or just the paranoia talking.
I doubt she's a traitor, but she's lying about her relationship with Webby and it probably has something to do with FOWL.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Shortly after Season 3 started airing, Frank mentioned on his blog that there were seeds sown in the pilot episode that still hadn't been touched on. The implication being we'll be seeing those seeds bear fruit soon enough.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Escape from the ImpossiBin!
I'll agree that this was the best episode in a while, with fun traps and Webby being a menace.

The bit with the villain knowing everything Scrooge does is odd, though. I mean, it makes perfect sense, but they already used that gimmick last season with the moon guy (where it made less sense). It kind of reminds me of how Naruto filler arcs often had a filler villain with the same gimmick as a canon villain before the arc with that canon villain.

Also, my biggest wish for this adaptation was a straightforward adaptation of the Don Rosa story where Magica has control of gravity before Jojo Part 6 came out, which had an extremely similar stand battle (complete with taking place at an airport), and unfortunately this episode dooms that.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

The bit with the villain knowing everything Scrooge does is odd, though. I mean, it makes perfect sense, but they already used that gimmick last season with the moon guy (where it made less sense). It kind of reminds me of how Naruto filler arcs often had a filler villain with the same gimmick as a canon villain before the arc with that canon villain.

General Lunaris also had the virtue of sucking like a filler villain.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I'll agree that this was the best episode in a while, with fun traps and Webby being a menace.

Also, my biggest wish for this adaptation was a straightforward adaptation of the Don Rosa story where Magica has control of gravity before Jojo Part 6 came out, which had an extremely similar stand battle (complete with taking place at an airport), and unfortunately this episode dooms that.
They called them Rosa Runes what more do you want!!! :P

Nxr4gHr.jpg

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that a new episode premieres tomorrow!

Monday, Nov. 2
DuckTales "The Split Sword of Swanstantine!"
(7:00-7:30 P.M. EDT)

The kids pair off to find the missing pieces of a mystical sword hidden throughout a marketplace unless F.O.W.L. gets to them first.

*Flula Borg ("Pitch Perfect 2") guest stars as Spice Baron. John Hodgman ("The Tick") and Jason Mantzoukas ("The League") return as John Rockerduck and Steelbeak, respectively.
ElRJvhoXIAAuRqu

ElmIR_2XEAEc8PN

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dang what is going on in that second picture, i cant figure out what perspective theyre supposed to be on. i know john d. rockerduck has some long boots but they gotta be on a steep slope for that to work.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
dat season 1 callback

I was wondering if that was a callback! I completely forgot about that!

Also, additional comments going into spoiler tag:

I find it hilarious that last week Dewey didn't pull a "surprisingly able to keep up with Webby when she says expect the unexpected", yet this week Webby is caught off guard by a flash bomb and wasn't prepared for moving around without vision, and now they play that card with Dewey.

Also, kind of wondering now if FOWL with that ending tease is either making a clone of Scrooge or is heading towards an endgame similar to Ducktales Remaster with either a bunch of items coming together to either fullfill the Dracula Duck tease or fullfill that Gummi Bears tease from awhile back.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This episode was nearly as good as Impossibin, and with those + the Darkwing special I finally feel like the season is as good as the last one. My only complaint is the ending twist, which I would have preferred be a Plan B style thing. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me that they'd actively go to fail at something in order to get a feather which would presumably be way easier to come by in some other way. Why send four FOWL agents just for it?

Also, I cannot take Rockerduck seriously as a villain with John Hodgeman's voice coming out of him. The writing is great and he's a great VO artist but I have a hard time imagining John Hodgeman as evil.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
This week:
El2v76PWoAcP1ps

"I am your Shadow, the true self..."

Next week:
El1YMx6XEAA6oT1

> The LOVERS Social Link has reached level 5!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyable episode.

My main issue with this season is how easy it's been to find the supposedly hardest to find treasures of all time. How did nobody find the sword pieces before? They weren't even hidden.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
It was nice seeing the (almost) full range of FOWL agents now being an active threat though clearly there have been some off screen encounters as everybody knows everybody now.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It was nice seeing the (almost) full range of FOWL agents now being an active threat though clearly there have been some off screen encounters as everybody knows everybody now.
Beakley and Scrooge probably just briefed the whole family on all the current FOWL agents and FOWL has been spying on the duck family this whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.