• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Just got the dual sense. What are thoughts on the size? I have larger hands, but this doesn't feel quite as comfortable as the DS4, especially in the grips

yeah i can chime in, i have large hands too and long fingers, so almost no controller feels totally comfortable to hold especially at pinky fingers.
i generally like the feel of dualsense, but the bottom of the grips being somewhat angular feels a bit more uncomfortable, when compared to ds4, (or xbox one, stadia controllers, which all have rounded base at grips)

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i can chime in, i have large hands too and long fingers, so almost no controller feels totally comfortable to hold especially at pinky fingers.
i generally like the feel of dualsense, but the bottom of the grips being somewhat angular feels a bit more uncomfortable, when compared to ds4, (or xbox one, stadia controllers, which all have rounded base at grips)
Yes! That's exactly what I was trying to describe, you just did it much better. :)

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Yes! That's exactly what I was trying to describe, you just did it much better. :)

yeah the angular corners press against the pinkies, i can see this will be an issue with long game sessions.
one thing i just found out, there seems to be grip extenders sold exactly for this reason, maybe ill take a look.

thing is cerny seems to have fairly large hands as well, wonder how he is holding the thing lol.
LB_0365.jpg

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will that back button attachment work with this or will they need to make another one for dual sense?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
It won't, the connectors are different. They need a new design for it to work.

I'm wondering if maybe they want to make it more advanced, than just two more buttons/inputs.

Come one folks.. put on your creative caps. What else do you think it will feature? Seems like not alot of space to have adaptive paddles.

Maybe it will just be two buttons for ergonomic reasons. 😕

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
My first impression was that this was much larger that DS4, but it's really not that much larger. It's quite heavy! I wish I could get it to work on some normal PC games at the moment, but I don't wanna fiddle with it too much. Everything feels nice and familiar aside from the weight.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask again. Anyone with a DualSense tried to see if it works with Apple TV and iPad OS?

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I picked one up at lunch, I'm going to try it with diffrent things when I get home. For sure my iPad and Switch.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That's awesome. No wonder people have been speaking about updated audio quality from the controller. The more and more I learn about it, the more I'm surprised it's (thankfully) only $10 more than the Dualshock 4. It's absolutely stacked with so many new and better features.

Side note, do we know which RealTek studio chip this is?

Keep in mind that controllers are already sold at huge mark-ups - I've heard that the DS4 only costs like $15 to make. In comparison the DualSense probably costs $20, maybe $25 at the absolute most. They could've kept the price at $59 and still made a killing.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity, when did you order it? Trying to gauge how long it takes then to ship things....

Ordered it the day preorders get live.

I also ordered one for the backup PS5 Order (did both amazon in Walmart in case one falls through)

Problem is....I didn't realize they were releasing 10 days early. So now I have TWO DualSenses

OP
OP
Praedyth

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm wondering if maybe they want to make it more advanced, than just two more buttons/inputs.

Come one folks.. put on your creative caps. What else do you think it will feature? Seems like not alot of space to have adaptive paddles.

Maybe it will just be two buttons for ergonomic reasons. 😕
Funny. Yesterday I thought of a version of the back button attatchment that would run from the USB C port to the headphone jack, so you'd have an axis below the controller and 4 paddles coming out of it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
DS5, it should work since the numbers correspond to the console. So no one will confuse DS4 and DS5.
There was a poll on here earlier, DS5 won.
works for me
Will that back button attachment work with this or will they need to make another one for dual sense?
they have a patent it looks like for a new one, I honestly think the back of the controller being totally flat opens up for a lot of attachments this time around.

OP
OP
Praedyth

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
The grips look much better than the DS4 at least. Here's hoping they don't end up drifting.
They rotated the sticks 90° so it becomes harder to break the sprint forward, whatever that issue is called. The guy on the Battle Beaver teardown pointed that out.

--

Lirion as far as I'm aware, Apple needs to certify the controller with an iOS update. I've yet to see anyone pairing it with an iOS device.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Crossposting from the accessories thread:

I received my DualSense controller this week, and I'm very excited about it. I'm very enthusiastic about controllers specifically, so here are my impressions after playing around with it for a while. Since I obviously don't have a PS5 yet, this means I have not yet been able to experience the most interesting new features of the DualSense: the haptic feedback and resistant triggers.

First off, the DualSense is slightly bigger than the DualShock 4, and feels just a bit heftier - a slight but noticeable difference. Right off the bat, it feels great in the hand, and maybe even more naturally contoured and comfortable than the DS4.

The buttons and d-pad feel softer and a little "mushier" than the DS4 I compared against. The d-pad is flatter and has a less pronounced tapered center compared to the DS4 - that bit in the middle where the buttons slope down into each other. The d-pad is still a single piece split into the four directions, so you can rock and roll your thumb across it, unlike the Switch joy-cons with its d-pad comprised of four independent buttons. (I hate the joy-con d-pad.)

The surface of the four face buttons is similar to the DS4's - mostly flat, but with a very slightly convexed surface. However, the Circle button is contoured to match the shape of the DualSense's curves, so the Circle button does curve slightly downward on its right-most side, making it the unique outlier of the four. It feels ever so slightly different from the DS4's Circle button, but only time will tell if this will have any noticeable impact on gameplay and usability. I doubt it will.

tqow0Qs.jpg

The new sticks are very similar to the DS4's, are spaced exactly the same distance apart as on the DS4, and share the same surface shape, but the heads have a more pronounced ring and are slightly more textured. The stick action, resistance, and snapback all feels good - very similar to the DS4. Maybe just a hair snappier, but also maybe because my DS4 isn't brand new. I noticed that there is a new ring protecting the DualSense chassis where the sticks make contact with the rest of the controller - it seems to be metal, not plastic, but it's hard for me to tell. One effect of this protective ring is that it greatly dampens the clicking sound of the sticks making contact with the chassis, so maybe this is partially to reduce the controller sounds when using the DualSense's built-in microphones - more on that in a bit.

cnQJxA2.jpg
4lnOb78.jpg

CfnKi6U.jpg

The Options and Create buttons are smaller than on DS4, but are slightly more raised so they're easier to find and press. They have a nice clickiness compared to the DS4's buttons, which I like a lot better. I think the Options and Share buttons on DS4 were one of its weakest elements - too flush with the surface of the controller so it takes a while to learn their placement, and the clicking action isn't very pronounced so you're not getting great tactical feedback when trying to take a screenshot or whatever. So this is a big improvement over those.

The shoulder buttons are much bigger on the DualSense - both the L1/R1 and L2/R2 buttons. I never had much issue with these on the DS4, and I really liked the added curviness introduced to L2/R2 on the DS4, which made the triggers feel like actual triggers and prevented finger slippage. The DualSense matches the feel and shape of the DS4's shoulder buttons, but with additional surface area for your fingers. Nice improvement.

UuLSNT0.jpg

The PlayStation button is now shaped like the PlayStation logo instead of the circular buttons on the DualShock 3 and DualShock 4. It looks a lot fancier, but otherwise functions exactly as you would expect, with a soft press. The changed shape doesn't make it more difficult to find or press, since the location of it is exactly where you expect it to be. Directly underneath that, the small microphone mute button has a short action but a nice clicky feedback, so there shouldn't be any doubt that you've pressed it. Plus, it has a light to indicate whether it's muted or not.

When you plug the DualSense into a PC or Mac via USB, it comes up immediately as a generic game controller device, and works out of the box in Steam, though you do have to configure the controller's inputs first. In USB mode, you can also use the DualSense's microphone as an audio input, so I tested it out by recording myself talking into it. After the first recording, I realized that the front microphone - directly underneath the Mute button - is the right channel, and the rear microphone on the bottom of the controller is the left channel. So I re-recorded myself talking into the bottom of the controller to try to hit both mics equally. It sounds really good! And if you're wondering, "How are the two channels supposed to be balanced when you're only going to talk to the front," the answer is probably that voice chat on PS5 will be mono and the second mic will be used for noise canceling - another feature I can't test since that'll be done on the PS5 via software.

Here's my short voice recording. I also mashed the buttons and sticks at the end to test how bad the controller sounds are, and they're honestly not that bad at all, even before noise canceling.

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.

So, we've learned from others on the internet that you can actually pair the DualSense as a wireless controller to the PS3, but the same doesn't work on the PS4. However, I did verify that you can definitely use the DualSense as your controller on the PlayStation Remote Play app, so I used this ridiculous setup to get the closest thing to using the DualSense on the PS4.

Zl4YEav.jpg

Playing Ghost of Tsushima like this, everything on the controller works perfectly, with no configurations needed (except the mic, which does not work on PS4 like this). The Options and Share buttons work, the triggers work, and the touchpad works. And also, rumble works! This isn't the advanced haptic feedback or anything fancy like that, but even still, the DualSense's rumble is immediately a huge improvement over the DS4's. It feels "higher resolution," for lack of a better way to describe it. Each individual pulse in a rumble action is smaller and faster, so you get more consistent and reliable physical feedback, especially on short or light rumbles, such as dodging in Ghost of Tsushima, which is barely noticeable sometimes on the DS4. It feels like the "HD Rumble" feature on Switch, but maybe more powerful. Can't wait to feel the true haptics.

Other devices: DualSense will not pair with the DualShock 4 PC wireless adaptor USB dongle. DualSense does pair to Windows and Mac OS via Bluetooth, and can be used as a generic game controller in Steam and probably other apps like this. However, I was not able to get the DualSense working in the PS Remote Play app wirelessly via Bluetooth. DualSense also does not pair to iOS via Bluetooth - it probably needs an iOS update to be supported.

Overall, this is a really well designed controller, feels great in the hand, and is solidly and thoughtfully constructed. One nice detail is that there are actually no screws holding it together anywhere on the exterior - the DS4's bottom has four screws. However, this might make opening it and self-service more difficult for the average user.

ekrIbvH.jpg

Even just from the short use period with remote play and some Steam games, I can say with confidence that I like the DualSense a lot, and it might quickly surpass the DS4 as my favorite controller once I can experience the haptics and adaptive triggers, which are both supposed to be very impressive. I can't wait!

mwhbUt2.jpg

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting from the accessories thread:

I received my DualSense controller this week, and I'm very excited about it. I'm very enthusiastic about controllers specifically, so here are my impressions after playing around with it for a while. Since I obviously don't have a PS5 yet, this means I have not yet been able to experience the most interesting new features of the DualSense: the haptic feedback and resistant triggers.

First off, the DualSense is slightly bigger than the DualShock 4, and feels just a bit heftier - a slight but noticeable difference. Right off the bat, it feels great in the hand, and maybe even more naturally contoured and comfortable than the DS4.

The buttons and d-pad feel softer and a little "mushier" than the DS4 I compared against. The d-pad is flatter and has a less pronounced tapered center compared to the DS4 - that bit in the middle where the buttons slope down into each other. The d-pad is still a single piece split into the four directions, so you can rock and roll your thumb across it, unlike the Switch joy-cons with its d-pad comprised of four independent buttons. (I hate the joy-con d-pad.)

The surface of the four face buttons is similar to the DS4's - mostly flat, but with a very slightly convexed surface. However, the Circle button is contoured to match the shape of the DualSense's curves, so the Circle button does curve slightly downward on its right-most side, making it the unique outlier of the four. It feels ever so slightly different from the DS4's Circle button, but only time will tell if this will have any noticeable impact on gameplay and usability. I doubt it will.

tqow0Qs.jpg

The new sticks are very similar to the DS4's, are spaced exactly the same distance apart as on the DS4, and share the same surface shape, but the heads have a more pronounced ring and are slightly more textured. The stick action, resistance, and snapback all feels good - very similar to the DS4. Maybe just a hair snappier, but also maybe because my DS4 isn't brand new. I noticed that there is a new ring protecting the DualSense chassis where the sticks make contact with the rest of the controller - it seems to be metal, not plastic, but it's hard for me to tell. One effect of this protective ring is that it greatly dampens the clicking sound of the sticks making contact with the chassis, so maybe this is partially to reduce the controller sounds when using the DualSense's built-in microphones - more on that in a bit.

cnQJxA2.jpg
4lnOb78.jpg

CfnKi6U.jpg

The Options and Create buttons are smaller than on DS4, but are slightly more raised so they're easier to find and press. They have a nice clickiness compared to the DS4's buttons, which I like a lot better. I think the Options and Share buttons on DS4 were one of its weakest elements - too flush with the surface of the controller so it takes a while to learn their placement, and the clicking action isn't very pronounced so you're not getting great tactical feedback when trying to take a screenshot or whatever. So this is a big improvement over those.

The shoulder buttons are much bigger on the DualSense - both the L1/R1 and L2/R2 buttons. I never had much issue with these on the DS4, and I really liked the added curviness introduced to L2/R2 on the DS4, which made the triggers feel like actual triggers and prevented finger slippage. The DualSense matches the feel and shape of the DS4's shoulder buttons, but with additional surface area for your fingers. Nice improvement.

UuLSNT0.jpg

The PlayStation button is now shaped like the PlayStation logo instead of the circular buttons on the DualShock 3 and DualShock 4. It looks a lot fancier, but otherwise functions exactly as you would expect, with a soft press. The changed shape doesn't make it more difficult to find or press, since the location of it is exactly where you expect it to be. Directly underneath that, the small microphone mute button has a short action but a nice clicky feedback, so there shouldn't be any doubt that you've pressed it. Plus, it has a light to indicate whether it's muted or not.

When you plug the DualSense into a PC or Mac via USB, it comes up immediately as a generic game controller device, and works out of the box in Steam, though you do have to configure the controller's inputs first. In USB mode, you can also use the DualSense's microphone as an audio input, so I tested it out by recording myself talking into it. After the first recording, I realized that the front microphone - directly underneath the Mute button - is the right channel, and the rear microphone on the bottom of the controller is the left channel. So I re-recorded myself talking into the bottom of the controller to try to hit both mics equally. It sounds really good! And if you're wondering, "How are the two channels supposed to be balanced when you're only going to talk to the front," the answer is probably that voice chat on PS5 will be mono and the second mic will be used for noise canceling - another feature I can't test since that'll be done on the PS5 via software.

Here's my short voice recording. I also mashed the buttons and sticks at the end to test how bad the controller sounds are, and they're honestly not that bad at all, even before noise canceling.

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.

So, we've learned from others on the internet that you can actually pair the DualSense as a wireless controller to the PS3, but the same doesn't work on the PS4. However, I did verify that you can definitely use the DualSense as your controller on the PlayStation Remote Play app, so I used this ridiculous setup to get the closest thing to using the DualSense on the PS4.

Zl4YEav.jpg

Playing Ghost of Tsushima like this, everything on the controller works perfectly, with no configurations needed (except the mic, which does not work on PS4 like this). The Options and Share buttons work, the triggers work, and the touchpad works. And also, rumble works! This isn't the advanced haptic feedback or anything fancy like that, but even still, the DualSense's rumble is immediately a huge improvement over the DS4's. It feels "higher resolution," for lack of a better way to describe it. Each individual pulse in a rumble action is smaller and faster, so you get more consistent and reliable physical feedback, especially on short or light rumbles, such as dodging in Ghost of Tsushima, which is barely noticeable sometimes on the DS4. It feels like the "HD Rumble" feature on Switch, but maybe more powerful. Can't wait to feel the true haptics.

Other devices: DualSense will not pair with the DualShock 4 PC wireless adaptor USB dongle. DualSense does pair to Windows and Mac OS via Bluetooth, and can be used as a generic game controller in Steam and probably other apps like this. However, I was not able to get the DualSense working in the PS Remote Play app wirelessly via Bluetooth. DualSense also does not pair to iOS via Bluetooth - it probably needs an iOS update to be supported.

Overall, this is a really well designed controller, feels great in the hand, and is solidly and thoughtfully constructed. One nice detail is that there are actually no screws holding it together anywhere on the exterior - the DS4's bottom has four screws. However, this might make opening it and self-service more difficult for the average user.

ekrIbvH.jpg

Even just from the short use period with remote play and some Steam games, I can say with confidence that I like the DualSense a lot, and it might quickly surpass the DS4 as my favorite controller once I can experience the haptics and adaptive triggers, which are both supposed to be very impressive. I can't wait!

mwhbUt2.jpg
I never liked the triggers on the ds4 I thought they were too small, how do the dual sense triggers feel to an Xbox controller? Hard to tell in the pic but are they about the same size as Xbox triggers?

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
I never liked the triggers on the ds4 I thought they were too small, how do the dual sense triggers feel to an Xbox controller? Hard to tell in the pic but are they about the same size as Xbox triggers?
I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Xbox One controller and don't own one, but I think you'll like the additional surface area of the new triggers on the DualSense. They are noticeably larger under your fingers, so you don't feel as much of the edges when using them.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered it the day preorders get live.

I also ordered one for the backup PS5 Order (did both amazon in Walmart in case one falls through)

Problem is....I didn't realize they were releasing 10 days early. So now I have TWO DualSenses
Thanks. Hopefully they can get the actual consoles shipped a day or two early...

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Xbox One controller and don't own one, but I think you'll like the additional surface area of the new triggers on the DualSense. They are noticeably larger under your fingers, so you don't feel as much of the edges when using them.
Good, that's the only thing that was missing from PS controllers imo was large triggers

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Ordered one on Target for delivery Thursday to use with my PC. It's going to look nice with my upcoming new build too.

Also emailed Colorware to ask about timing on custom ones. Eventually I want to get a blue one.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
So one of the things that makes the DualSense so unbelievable is seeing the tech the controller sports that ensures compatibility from 3rd parties going forward.

I see a lot of speculation stating that the features (haptics/adaptive triggers) won't be used by many games outside of Sony 1st party - i'm here to tell you that is patently false. The smartest thing Sony did was make it that haptics had a profile created automatically based on SFX that is played. Its far easier to get devs to tweak automated implementation, and free them make something far more custom & compelling, than to ask devs to start from Square One.

The DualSense leap frogs the starting from scratch approach most gaming novelties have to go against to start off.

And now that i've had it in my hands and worked first hand on the haptics/adaptive triggers in UE4, I can easily say this is one of the most exciting aspects of next-gen. Its easily one of my favorite controllers ever made.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Anyone else able to get this working in a game on PS3? Wired the XMB works fine but I've tried a couple of games (Ghost of Sparta, Sly 1) and it says no controller is connected.

Not a big deal but was just curious. The controller feels incredible and premium I can't believe it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
So one of the things that makes the DualSense so unbelievable is seeing the tech the controller sports that ensures compatibility from 3rd parties going forward.

I see a lot of speculation stating that the features (haptics/adaptive triggers) won't be used by many games outside of Sony 1st party - i'm here to tell you that is patently false. The smartest thing Sony did was make it that haptics had a profile created automatically based on SFX that is played. Its far easier to get devs to tweak automated implementation, and free them make something far more custom & compelling, than to ask devs to start from Square One.

The DualSense leap frogs the starting from scratch approach most gaming novelties have to go against to start off.

And now that i've had it in my hands and worked first hand on the haptics/adaptive triggers in UE4, I can easily say this is one of the most exciting aspects of next-gen. Its easily one of my favorite controllers ever made.

Do the triggers have anything similar to make implementation easier?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Taking some "beauty" shots of the DualSense. Will post soon.

Have now played Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, GTA Online, Rocket League, No Man's Sky, and Uncharted The Lost Legacy using the DualSense via remote play. It feels amazing.

I also continue to run music to the haptic motors for giggles.