• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is their ambition but it not something that will happen overnight we already know their position to this so I dont know its keep being never brought up as if they never mention it. It does not mean it will happen as well since alot is involve in this process I am sure.

GC: So will people be able to play any of these games outside of owning Dreams?
MH: At the moment you have to own Dreams to play it. Obviously, it's not just games, people can make films and things. But the big ambition that I would love to see is that people can make stuff that ends up coming out and going onto the PSN store and things like that. That's an obvious thing to push for really, so we're looking into that at the moment.
GC: And could they make money from that?
MH: Of course, yeah. That's the point. That's the ambition. There's a fine balance to keep there, between keeping that nice sort of sharing, collaborative thing going on and people making money.
metro.co.uk

Dreams review and interview – video game construction kit

GameCentral reviews the new game creation tool from the makers of LittleBigPlanet and talks to creative director Mark Healey about its future.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
What I really don't get in dreams is how things like Fallout 4, MGS, Simpson's games and other trademarks are allowed to be made in dreams with no copyright infringement claims?

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Again: Media Molecule's designers got compensated for the stuff they made with Dreams. Why shouldn't others be?

Media Molecule's designers got payed for making the tools for others to make their games and for being in an office 8-16 hours. Not for making silly games.

Creators are not forced to punch in and stay on their console for 8-16 hours and create new tools for the community.

These two things are not comparable.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
lol, I get the idea that if Game Maker or even Unity was marketed and sold the same way Dreams was that you'd be making the same argument.

Dreams' tools aren't a game, I don't think the tools are even marketed as one. It's basically an accessible and fully fledged game development tool. Just like stuff like Game Maker and Clickteam's tools are. Just difference is those actually are more limited in what's possible with them, and the games made with those aren't stuck in a walled garden.

To call the tools a video game and creating stuff the "gameplay loop", then Media Molecule's game designers didn't actually do any work. May as well call a paint brush a toy.
No I wouldn't because last time I checked, if I use Unity I dont get to play EVERY game people make on Unity for free, or did you forget that a big part of this GAME is not only to create, but to experience the content created by others?
But as you say, it's not a videogame, it's a tool. Because you're not playing anything, you're making stuff, and everyone knows that's not how games work. Games are meant to be played, not to create things in it, gotcha.

Also RIP to one of my favorite childhood games: Disney's Magic Artist Studio.
I wasted so many hours in this, as a child, completely oblivious to the fact that I wasn't actually playing a game, I was using a tool the all time.
I sucked at it, so obviously Disney never paid me for all the paintings I did, what a shame...

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
What the hell is going on Dreams threads lately ?
Why are people so obsessed with this monetize talk ? Are any of you guys being held captives to make games for MM ?
What I'm missing here ?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
What I really don't get in dreams is how things like Fallout 4, MGS, Simpson's games and other trademarks are allowed to be made in dreams with no copyright infringement claims?

I think at this stage most developers would probably feel flattered by those works, but inevitably there will be a point at which developers/publishers have to take a stand against some of these creations when the quality/scope rises far enough.

Oct 26, 2017
I wasted so many hours in this, as a child, completely oblivious to the fact that I wasn't actually playing a game, I was using a tool the all time.
I sucked at it, so obviously Disney never paid me for all the paintings I did, what a shame...
I hear you buddy, I just realized I never got got paid by Nintendo for all the stuff I did with Mario Paint back in the '90s.

I'm starting to think we need a dedicated thread for this particular discussion because it derails every Dreams thread we have.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Media Molecule's designers got payed for making the tools for others to make their games and for being in an office 8-16 hours. Not for making silly games.

Creators are not forced to punch in and stay on their console for 8-16 hours and create new tools for the community.

These two things are not comparable.
That is assuming the designers behind the main game in Dreams are the same as the people who made the tools. And even if they are: are you saying they didn't deserve to be compensated for the work they put into designing that game?

Also, plenty of games aren't developed in an office. Plenty of developers work from home. A lot of indie games are also developed in people's free time. Do those developers not deserve to get paid either?

No I wouldn't because last time I checked, if I use Unity I dont get to play EVERY game people make on Unity for free, or did you forget that a big part of this GAME is not only to create, but to experience the content created by others?
So if you had to buy Unity, and could only share and play the games made with it within its walled garden, you'd be making the same argument.

It probably actually is possible to draw something incredibly impressive in Magic Artist Studio and sell it lol.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think at this stage most developers would probably feel flattered by those works, but inevitably there will be a point at which developers/publishers have to take a stand against some of these creations when the quality/scope rises far enough.
Yeah out in the real world when someone start making money on someone else's work it usually goes bye-bye, I can see it happen when people start making money on their creations on Twitch and Youtube.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly how I think they should be promoting Dreams. Don't show a sizzle reel with 50 two second clips of experiences on it. Show one game per trailer that you have to buy Dreams for. Wanna play Ruckus? You need to pick up Dreams. Let's see a load of these that sell it as a library of quality software.

Real good.
Yeah they can do something like Dream of the week to highlight a cool Dream.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Gamers: MAN, wouldn't it be great if someone made a game maker on a console that didn't require knowledge of programming or 3D modeling?

Also Gamers: WHY ARE WE BEING EXPLOITED? PAY US FOR MAKING THESE GAMES IN THIS GAME MAKER.

C'mon. Are these real takes in here?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Make your content somewhere else and sell it there, then?

Ruckus was a ton of fun, glad it's getting extra love. What did you think of it?

I do make and sell content other places so no interest in Dreams. Sony doesn't have to offer ways for people to monetize the stuff they make but it would definitely bring in more people to create content.

Gamers: MAN, wouldn't it be great if someone made a game maker on a console that didn't require knowledge of programming or 3D modeling?

Also Gamers: WHY ARE WE BEING EXPLOITED? PAY US FOR MAKING THESE GAMES IN THIS GAME MAKER.

C'mon. Are these real takes in here?

These are the same people saying both things? Got examples?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Pretty damn amazing of Sony to do this. Imagine being the person/people who created that cool little game in Dreams?! I'd be over the moon. Wish they'd done that with my far-better-than-any-official-trailer that I made for when Gran Turismo 5 came out 😒

This is a great way to promote Dreams and give people out there a better idea of the cool random things they could be playing if they bought the game. Wonder if any big bands would create a song and music video within Dreams and if that would help promote this software as well to a different crowd.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is going on Dreams threads lately ?
Why are people so obsessed with this monetize talk ? Are any of you guys being held captives to make games for MM ?
What I'm missing here ?

People are being purposely obtuse. It's not that a tool was used and so you're owed money by the tool maker (great analogies, definitely not disengenuous). It's that a content creator's free work is the ad for the product. With no credit that I can see (even checked the video details).

Ads are designed to make money. It's not the same as a nice spot on the Community page or something (where at least I'd know who made it). It's not saying "If you like Ruckus, here's who made it". It's saying "If you like Ruckus, play Dreams".

That's very different from a crayon analogy or whatever. If Crayola loved my art enough to make it their ad to sell more crayons, damn right I'd be getting paid or at least credited.

Something as simple as "Ruckus by _______" at the end would be a great way to promote your creators and still profit off their work. Don't know why anybody would disagree with that idea except warz.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Probably been mentioned but when you boot up Dreams you're asked if Sony can use your creations in marketing.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Wtf is going on in Dreams treads? Did you expect to get paid when u create a level in LBP or Mario Maker? Do u expect to get paid when you create stuff in minecraft? Do you expext to get paid when u create a game in Roblox?
Dreams is a gaming platform that lets you either create content to be shared and let you play everyones creations. All creators are not expecting monetization, they create stuff cuz thats where they get fun from, and also has access to a crapload of assets created by the comunity. The concept is sharing is caring. Some ppl just like to create 3D models, other might like to just create music and sound effects, other might like to grab other creators content and put toguether they own game. This game concept is all about create, share, play. Not "heres what i did now give me money to use it."

Creators get exposure if they create something thats gets atention witch may lead them to monetary oportunities outside dreams. The day you start monetizing player creations is the day you kill Dreams.
They might even be active on social media and have a patreon or other kind of donation system in place for fans of these creators to support them.

At the end of the day if these creator wanted to get paid they would be creating stuff in other tools.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
People are being purposely obtuse. It's not that a tool was used and so you're owed money by the tool maker (great analogies, definitely not disengenuous). It's that a content creator's free work is the ad for the product. With no credit that I can see (even checked the video details).

Ads are designed to make money. It's not the same as a nice spot on the Community page or something (where at least I'd know who made it). It's not saying "If you like Ruckus, here's who made it". It's saying "If you like Ruckus, play Dreams".

That's very different from a crayon analogy or whatever. If Crayola loved my art enough to make it their ad to sell more crayons, damn right I'd be getting paid or at least credited.

Something as simple as "Ruckus by _______" at the end would be a great way to promote your creators and still profit off their work. Don't know why anybody would disagree with that idea except warz.

I totally agree with the idea that it would be nice if they added the creators name on the add.
But that's that.
This whole conversation about monetize is utterly bullshit and anyone trying to discuss this is going completely against the whole Dreams concept.
Honestly if I was a Dreams creator I would be glad to see any of my creations on their teasers/trailers and I already saw that here in Resetera with a user getting their creation on a trailer and being happy with it.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, to be clear: I'm not saying Sony need to pay people who make stuff in Dreams. But they do deserve to be able to be compensated for their work, and it sucks that it's impossible for creators to sell their work. Even something like a tip jar would already be nice. It'd also be cool if stuff like models and music made in Dreams could be exported to PC. It isn't helped by that Sony is using people's creations to sell Dreams, meaning that they are profiting from those creations.

And again, because people love to act like I'm saying that Dreams should be fired into the sun for this: I think Dreams is an incredible tool. I love to browse what people make with it, it's usually either incredibly impressive or incredibly silly. That doesn't mean that it should go without scrutiny.

Also, it's much more than a video game and it's a shame that people keep downplaying how incredible of a tool it is to make garbage arguments about if the creators making stuff with it are actually doing work or not.

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
This is from the game's Early Access EULA

" To the extent permitted by law, you grant SIE an irrevocable, transferrable, sublicensable, royalty-free and perpetual license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, translate, transmit, publish, and prepare derivative works of your User Material in all media formats and by all distribution methods (now known or hereafter developed), throughout the universe, in connection with the Software and the business of SIE (and its partners, successors, and affiliates), for any purpose, including for promoting, advertising, selling, and re-distributing the Software (and derivative works thereof), without any further notice to you. "

And from the Beta:
"
To the extent permitted by law, you license SIE a royalty-free and perpetual right to use, distribute, copy, modify, display, and publish your User Material for any reason without any restrictions or payments to you or any third parties.
"

Arxisz

Nov 1, 2017

Obtuse? HOW? Look, it's not rocket science. When you start up Dreams you are asked by Sony if you agree that your creations are used to market the game. The creator of Ruckus made this game knowing that. So why are people on the sidelines talking as if they represent the creator? You can't be serious.

Oct 26, 2017
This is from the game's Early Access EULA

" To the extent permitted by law, you grant SIE an irrevocable, transferrable, sublicensable, royalty-free and perpetual license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, translate, transmit, publish, and prepare derivative works of your User Material in all media formats and by all distribution methods (now known or hereafter developed), throughout the universe, in connection with the Software and the business of SIE (and its partners, successors, and affiliates), for any purpose, including for promoting, advertising, selling, and re-distributing the Software (and derivative works thereof), without any further notice to you. "

And from the Beta:
"
To the extent permitted by law, you license SIE a royalty-free and perpetual right to use, distribute, copy, modify, display, and publish your User Material for any reason without any restrictions or payments to you or any third parties.
"

Oh man, they even own the rights to your game in the Andromeda galaxy. Such bastards!

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Obtuse? HOW? Look, it's not rocket science. When you start up Dreams you are asked by Sony if you agree that your creations are used to market the game. The creator of Ruckus made this game knowing that. So why are people on the sidelines talking as if they represent the creator? You can't be serious.

I was talking about attribution. Do you think that ethically, not legally, it is fair to your community to directly make money off them without so much as showing their name, or a link to their profile? That's fine, but it goes against how we expect artists to be treated in most other contexts, especially for "free" work. It's perfectly legal but it isn't right.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Excuse me? This is a Playstation 4 game, sir. It isn't a job.
If you feel like it's work, that's on you. Jump off, and go do actual work.
If you can't take satisfaction from creating something and seeing other people enjoy it, that's not Sony's fault. Stop pretending you bought something that Sony never sold. They sold you a video game, they didn't hire you.

Be right back, I'm just finishing my latest race track for GTA V, and then I just have to send an invoice to Rockstar and I'm set!

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me? This is a Playstation 4 game, sir. It isn't a job.
If you feel like it's work, that's on you. Jump off, and go do actual work.
If you can't take satisfaction for creating something and see other people enjoy it, that's not Sony's fault. Stop pretending you bought something that Sony never sold. They sold you a video game, they didn't hire you.
Nobody's saying that Sony needs to literally pay the artists and developers who are using Dreams to make stuff.

Arxisz

Nov 1, 2017
I was talking about attribution. Do you think that ethically, not legally, it is fair to your community to directly make money off them without so much as showing their name, or a link to their profile? That's fine, but it goes against how we expect artists to be treated in most other contexts, especially for "free" work. It's perfectly legal but it isn't right.

Look I get what you are saying, but Sony makes it perfectly clear, if you are making stuff expecting compensation, then you should take a different route, not Dreams. It's not like they hide the message in small letters so you can't see it. it's just the way this product model operates. just like Mario Maker 2,Minecraft,Roblox etc.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Again: Media Molecule's designers got compensated for the stuff they made with Dreams. Why shouldn't others be?

that's not how it works. that's not how any of this works.

you don't sign a contract when playing dreams, you're not obligated to do anything you dont want.

it's a sandbox where u can create cool stuff and share it with others, that's all.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look I get what you are saying, but Sony makes it perfectly clear, if you are making stuff expecting compensation, then you should take a different route, not Dreams. It's not like they hide the message in small letters so you can't see it. it's just the way this product model operates. just like Mario Maker 2,Minecraft,Roblox etc.
It's possible to sell stuff in Minecraft and Roblox

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
It was uploaded to the Official Playstation Europe chanel 3 weeks ago. There is two more in the same style OP!

I think it's amazing. The creators need spotlight in the first place.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Then i stand correct, cuz when i searched all i found was this:

Buying and Selling Games
Roblox has no official method to buy or sell games.
If another player offers to buy your game or sell one to you, it's probably a scam. Do not give other players Robux or items in exchange for a game, because there's no official system which allows them complete the trade.
https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/203313980-Buying-and-Selling-Games

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the Wikipedia page:
Roblox allows players to buy, sell, and create virtual items. Clothes can be bought by anyone, but only players with a premium membership can sell them.[9] Only Roblox administrators can sell accessories, body parts, gear, and packages under the official Roblox user account.[10] Items with a limited edition status can only be traded between or sold by users with premium membership status.[11]

Robux is the virtual currency in Roblox that allows players to buy various items. Players can obtain Robux by purchasing Robux with real currency, from a recurring Robux stipend given to members with premium membership, and from other players by selling virtual content on Roblox.[7][12]

Roblox - Wikipedia