• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So, theoretically what could modders do to the DE's graphics? I assume they can't do anything about the shadows, reduced foliage and draw-distance, but would they be able to mod in the higher poly models and higher quality textures from the OG release?

With ini tweaks, you can already get better grass/shadow/draw distances. But you wont get the same level as the OG release. Higher poly models and textures, maybe I guess ?
But the biggest issue is the lighting change :/

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Is there a way to override and improve the AA on PC? Whatever AA they're using still has a bit of shimmer on everything, would be nice if you can get rid of it.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Beat the demo yesterday, I like how the game looks and feels (played on oneX). Used the ultra speed thing to make it faster to level up some.

will surely buy it, had a lot of fun with it.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Finished the demo in about 5 hours. Even though I'd played this part before on PS4, this was so much fun. Kept me from playing other newer games. It's just a really great game and love how fast and smooth this version is (plus JP VA). Almost as excited for Dec 3rd launch of this as PS5 haha

Catspit

Oct 27, 2017
How do you turn off the in combat voices. Only 10minutes into the demo and Gemma is super annoying during battles.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
To the users who say there doesn't seem to be much of a visual downgrade, here's side by sides of some shots I took. Both games are at 1080p with their highest settings, with no .ini tweaks (which improves things further with the original release).

t5dfQ1J.png

73QbxU0.png

byobgnf.png

7BjDu1M.png

pUPY3lX.png

Reminds me of when RE4 came out on the PS2.

Everything was there but it just looked worse than the original.

Ah well, probably gonna play this again for the new content.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wait, the PC definitive version uses the Switch graphics?! That's hilarious. I'm probably still going to buy it, though. I loved the original PS4 version.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any advice to reduce the aliasing in the demo? The anti-aliasing settings at max are not doing enough for the grass. I tried with Reshade and MSAA but it doesn't seem to do anything

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Any advice to reduce the aliasing in the demo? The anti-aliasing settings at max are not doing enough for the grass. I tried with Reshade and MSAA but it doesn't seem to do anything

If you have capable hardware, super sampling from a higher resolution would work better than the shitty in-game AA.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the demo on PC. Wasn't grabbing me at first but around the time I got the forge it kinda clicked. Really takes me back to the days I spent playing DQ7 and DQ8 on PS1 and PS2.

But Square Enix desperately needs to get rid of Sugiyama. This soundtrack is not only awful, it's super repetitive. I can't believe it has that single, dull-ass overworld theme for the entire game. Musically this game is such a bummer compared to the last two jrpgs I played, FFVIIR and Persona 5.

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the demo on PC. Wasn't grabbing me at first but around the time I got the forge it kinda clicked. Really takes me back to the days I spent playing DQ7 and DQ8 on PS1 and PS2.

But Square Enix desperately needs to get rid of Sugiyama. This soundtrack is not only awful, it's super repetitive. I can't believe it has that single, dull-ass overworld theme for the entire game. Musically this game is such a bummer compared to the last two jrpgs I played, FFVIIR and Persona 5.
iirc, you can swap to the DQ8 overworld theme, which is actually pretty good versus the absolutely dreadful 11 world theme.

not sure how it's going to be handled in the new releases, but on Switch it was done by swapping to the free DLC Trodain set from DQ8.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does it retroactively unlock achievements when you get the full game after playing the demo?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game right now is saying Achievements aren't supported so I dunno what's up with that...
They are there, as I just unlocked the one for finishing the Tor, but you just can't view them at the moment.
Huh, weird. I want to buy the game this month but I was gonna wait until I've finished the demo, I hope that wouldn't made me miss the early game achievements, even if it's not a big deal. It would be weird if it did that though, I'm really curious how it's handled.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Guess here's as good as anywhere to ask.

My laptop is pretty much an aging piece of junk, but it ran the demo fine enough. Was going to check out the full game with it on gamepass, and the 16 bit look, but it just doesn't want to fully load.

I get to a "please sign in to a profile" screen and nothing seems to progress...

any ideas?

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does it retroactively unlock achievements when you get the full game after playing the demo?

It did for Trophies on PS4, so i assume its the same for Achievments on Microsoft systems. You dont immediatelly unlock the story trophies on loading the save tho. But as soon as you trigger the next accolade/achievment in the Story category all the past ones unlock too.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
I really wish this had Switch to PC/PS4/XBX cross-save. I am about halfway through act 2 on my current playthrough on Switch but would love to just migrate over to PC.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I already have the original release on PC. Also completed it. Would it make sense to get this edition still ?
Personally I think the Additions are easily worth another playthrough (I triple dipped even, PC, Switch, and now PS4, havent fully completed Act3 and all the Extra stuff on the switch version tho and will do that on the PS4 version .). On PC some people might even mod it so the lighting and some of the models getting "fixed" so they're higher quality like in the OG PC version.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Has anyone actually played through the entire game in 2D mode? I'm really tempted to do so, but I wonder if it's actually a quality way to experience the game or if it's just more of a novelty.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone actually played through the entire game in 2D mode? I'm really tempted to do so, but I wonder if it's actually a quality way to experience the game or if it's just more of a novelty.
I switched between the modes when playing the switch version. Felt like I missed something only playing one of the modes all the time. I like both.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Is the fighting the same in 2d? I just cannot get used to the turn based. I wish it had DQB2 style fighting.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the fighting the same in 2d? I just cannot get used to the turn based. I wish it had DQB2 style fighting.
Its a Dragon Quest mainline title. It will always be a turn based RPG no matter the bits or dimensions. For it to not be turn based would be heresy. Theres hundreds of other RPGs with other types of combat to choose from.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I already have the original release on PC. Also completed it. Would it make sense to get this edition still ?

I've played through the game four-ish times. The new stuff in the S version is mostly worthwhile. The new stories come at a weird point in the main story but they're pretty fun little diversions. The sped-up battles and new costumes are great. The increase in speed means you can get through the game a little quicker. Might be worth a look if you haven't played the 2D mode before.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Personally I think the Additions are easily worth another playthrough (I triple dipped even, PC, Switch, and now PS4, havent fully completed Act3 and all the Extra stuff on the switch version tho and will do that on the PS4 version .). On PC some people might even mod it so the lighting and some of the models getting "fixed" so they're higher quality like in the OG PC version.

I've played through the game four-ish times. The new stuff in the S version is mostly worthwhile. The new stories come at a weird point in the main story but they're pretty fun little diversions. The sped-up battles and new costumes are great. The increase in speed means you can get through the game a little quicker. Might be worth a look if you haven't played the 2D mode before.
That sounds pretty cool. I will probably give this a shot then. It costs €40 on Steam. How it the PC optimization in this ? With the S version ? What are the available options ?

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
As someone who's had the switch game for a while but hasn't picked it up, I'm tempted to play the series X version with gamepass but then I worry about wanting to play it on switch at some point in the future. Why no cross save?!:(

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the users who say there doesn't seem to be much of a visual downgrade, here's side by sides of some shots I took. Both games are at 1080p with their highest settings, with no .ini tweaks (which improves things further with the original release).

t5dfQ1J.png

73QbxU0.png

byobgnf.png

7BjDu1M.png

pUPY3lX.png
Looks like the biggest difference is lighting/AO/shadows. I can live with that for it to be free with Game Pass and 60fps.