• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Dont judge me but i used a trainer and its making the game more fast paced and funner to play all the while not feeling overpowered.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
So a good way to explain why this game is really doing it for me:

When I was a 9 year old kid with an N64 playing stuff like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, this is basically what I imagined playing a DBZ game would be like.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
This game is so close in so many ways, and so far in many other ways. I'm hoping Bandai Namco take another crack at this in another generation or two, and when they do I hope they use all of the best gameplay systems from each game that has done things right to form a sort of super Dragonball adventure/rpg/action game, and of course actually include the events of OG Dragonball this time around.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

When I was a 9 year old kid with an N64 playing stuff like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, this is basically what I imagined playing a DBZ game would be like.

see i keep watching and reading impressions on the combat and i am actually insanely interested in it.

Basically watching the combat makes you more or less feel like the TV series more than anything else. Simple combo's, enemy patterns and stuff make for insane quick and sometimes brutal fights. To me with how much RPG mechanics are in this, they nailed the combat......outside of some wonky camera movement.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Getting more and more into the game as I get further in and get used to the combat controls and how everything works. They do a good job with the fanservice with the Dragon Ball collectibles and side quests with some of those character, though I hope I didn't miss the Eighter quest that seems like it might've only been available right before you confront Raditz with Goku. I'd love them to do a follow-up that is just centered around Dragon Ball and its world because that weirdness needs to be properly captured in this style of game. It feels like the original show in tone and pacing, but doesn't stretch out the fights any longer than it needs to properly showcase the fights.

The game's probably at its worst when it's just aping other games with towers you can take down despite it not really doing anything anyway, Mario-style red coins that are available for a limited time but don't seem to do anything if you do get them all, and the Crackdown-style orbs all over the place that are just currency that respawns constantly. There's no real reason to have a billion orbs all over the place since it seems like it would be better if you just got orbs after fights. It just has bit too much stuff in it.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
This game is so close in so many ways, and so far in many other ways. I'm hoping Bandai Namco take another crack at this in another generation or two, and when they do I hope they use all of the best gameplay systems from each game that has done things right to form a sort of super Dragonball adventure/rpg/action game, and of course actually include the events of OG Dragonball this time around.

It's mind boggling to me that this game, made by the Asura's Wrath team, a team that made one of the coolest games of all time, didn't incorporate any of the quick time stuff they had in Asura's Wrath. It would have made some of the cinematic moments in DragonBall be more epic.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Getting more and more into the game as I get further in and get used to the combat controls and how everything works. They do a good job with the fanservice with the Dragon Ball collectibles and side quests with some of those character, though I hope I didn't miss the Eighter quest that seems like it might've only been available right before you confront Raditz with Goku. I'd love them to do a follow-up that is just centered around Dragon Ball and its world because that weirdness needs to be properly captured in this style of game. It feels like the original show in tone and pacing, but doesn't stretch out the fights any longer than it needs to properly showcase the fights.

The game's probably at its worst when it's just aping other games with towers you can take down despite it not really doing anything anyway, Mario-style red coins that are available for a limited time but don't seem to do anything if you do get them all, and the Crackdown-style orbs all over the place that are just currency that respawns constantly. There's no real reason to have a billion orbs all over the place since it seems like it would be better if you just got orbs after fights. It just has bit too much stuff in it.
That other stuff is fine since it's pretty minor and optional. You get a ton of orbs from battles and missions. That's where I get a vast majority of mine from. The "tower" thing took a minute for me to register what you were even referencing because I usually flat out ignore it, and unlike "tower" games your map isn't obstructed by them. And the timed orbs are a cool aside to test your mastery of the traversal, but it's otherwise easily bypassed.

It's mind boggling to me that this game, made by the Asura's Wrath team, a team that made one of the coolest games of all time, didn't incorporate any of the quick time stuff they had in Asura's Wrath. It would have made some of the cinematic moments in DragonBall be more epic.
Even their last anime series Naruto had them. I was also really shocked at their removal. For a DBZ game it seems like a no brainer. But people complain about QTEs a lot so I wouldn't be surprised if they were just fearful of backlash. Otherwise I see zero reason to remove them after all this time.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they definitely need to cover Dragon Ball with Kid Goku's wacky adventures next.

I feel like this series is a more interesting challenge for CC2 than Naruto was.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

This is spot on.

As much as I enjoy the Xenoverse games, this is really a cut above as an RPG. It is legit a dream come true.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
The orbs are very distracting from the otherwise really nice locations they created. You get a decent amount of orbs from battles and they respawn. Maybe they wanted to get players to fly around all the environment but that's just a guess. If they were smaller or not as many it wouldn't be as bad.

And minor nit pick, really wish there was grounded combat. Don't know why, I just want Goku to have his feet planted on the ground when he's near it, maybe they can have a slight variation of his combo on grounded enemies. Again very dumb nit pick.

Other than that it's amazing. Honestly one of the coolest dragon ball games to come out. Fighterz is awesome but I suck at it. Xenoverse is pretty fun but very flawed (still hoping we one day get XV3).

It feels like that dragon ball z game you always pictured on your head, especially if you played the Legacy of Goku games.

Oct 25, 2017
Every fan for literally decades: "Snake way was the most boring part of the Saiyan Saga"
Fans Playing Kakarot: "Why didn't they include Snake Way??"

Last edited:

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I would love for them to tackle the original Dragon Ball seeing the reverence and attention they've paid to the series with this. It probably wouldn't ever happen as that would be a tough sell to a North American audience, but if they could even add some original DB dlc to this that would be cool.

I agree with a lot of the criticisms I've read on this page so far and would love to see them improve on a sequel/iteration. If this sells they would logically try and do Super I suppose.

The combat I'm digging more and more. When you stop trying to think about it like an arena fighter and more like an action RPG it starts to click. The way everything slows down when you're picking a special/action or support command etc... kind of reinforces it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The game is surprisingly fun for me, it's really good at feeling like DBZ and as a game it's at least "good enough" to be fun even without the license.
Just neat Raditz, the fighting system seems a bit shallow so far but I guess this will get better with transformations, harder enemies and more assist character later on?
I also find the flying controls OK.

The game surely has a certain jankyness to it though, and it's very clear that walking and jumping was not their main priority :)
Also, there are some really rough animation transitions, for example when going from flying straight forward to flying straight downwards.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The chapter called"Mean, Green Teaching machine" totally should've been called "Mean, Big Green Teaching machine"

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is surprisingly fun for me, it's really good at feeling like DBZ and as a game it's at least "good enough" to be fun even without the license.
Just neat Raditz, the fighting system seems a bit shallow so far but I guess this will get better with transformations, harder enemies and more assist character later on?
I also find the flying controls OK.

The game surely has a certain jankyness to it though, and it's very clear that walking and jumping was not their main priority :)
Also, there are some really rough animation transitions, for example when going from flying straight forward to flying straight downwards.
Everything you said will improve a lot. Getting much better

Oct 27, 2017
There are some moves that have QTE? I had follow up prompt vs Vegeta and then Goku punched the shit out him. That was just fantastic. I thought it was only exclusive to that battle. But then Gohan had similar prompt vs some robot enemy, unfortunately I missed it. What all moves have such qtes?

And holy shit that beam struggle vs Vegeta was sweet. I couldn't pull it of against other enemies.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
still not sure if i pull the trigger. seems like a perfect podcast/relax game. i love dragon ball, i like the rpg-light take and i am in the mod for a game like this. but it also seems like a game that could be in a much better state in a few months (when i dont have the time because next-gen).

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Decided to pick this up after all and yep it does feel like a love letter. There are some things that could be better overall but it's nice to finally have another rpg to go along with all the fighting games

Oct 25, 2017
still not sure if i pull the trigger. seems like a perfect podcast/relax game. i love dragon ball, i like the rpg-light take and i am in the mod for a game like this. but it also seems like a game that could be in a much better state in a few months (when i dont have the time because next-gen).
There are so many posts from fans resisting to urge to buy this game, when it is honestly one the most fun, fully realized DBZ games a fan could want. It's "roughness" doesn't impede it at all.

I honestly don't see the game being in a "much better state" months from now besides minor QoL/bug fixes.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've just done the prologue but I want to know what to expect about one thing: what did they cut out from the storyline of the manga?

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There are so many posts from fans resisting to urge to buy this game, when it is honestly one the most fun, fully realized DBZ games a fan could want. It's "roughness" doesn't impede it at all.

I honestly don't see the game being in a "much better state" months from now besides minor QoL/bug fixes.

This. The game is such a huge love letter to the series. I can't see how you could not enjoy the game, if you love Dragon Ball. It's a must have in my opinion. It's even way better and more fleshed out than I expected.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This. The game is such a huge love letter to the series. I can't see how you could not enjoy the game, if you love Dragon Ball. It's a must have in my opinion. It's even way better and more fleshed out than I expected.

Seriously, it's better than I expected. Exploring the universe of Dragon Ball is a dream, you get to see the behind the scenes of so many moments.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any depth to the melee combat in this? Is it just 1 combo you'll be performing, any variations from timing or anything like that? Perfect dodges leading to instant transmission behind targets for separate animations?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Is there any depth to the melee combat in this? Is it just 1 combo you'll be performing, any variations from timing or anything like that? Perfect dodges leading to instant transmission behind targets for separate animations?

It's one combo that you can extend with dodges, special skills, and support characters. You can vanish behind enemies if you block and dodge beam attacks at the right time.

There might be more but so far that's how I'm playing.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Other than people writing off the game in the review thread, It's bad enough people misinterpreted impressions from a poster on the first page of this thread, which was actually based on what they seen from a 7 hour long stream of someone else playing the game before release, and not first hand experience.

Sure some things could be definitely better in Kakarot, like how flying works for example, but it's definitely the most realized version of a explorable Dragon Ball Z world to date.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, combat sucks. I hate being thrown around everywhere while enemies just ignore my attacks and just stay there when they should be knocked away or against the floor or staggered.

They just ignore the attacks a lot of times and its been getting worse the further I get in the game.

Also enemies spam like hell. Feels cheap.

Yeah the enemy KI charging animation and red "lightning" surrounding the enemies is annoying as hell. The 3-5 secs red "lightning" is understandable because that is an instant stun revenge move so I always move away from those. However, that KI charging super armor is just ridiculous. KI blasts some times works, but it seems like the more bosses I fight, the more they spam their super moves. Like I can struggle to get a Super move off, but the boss can get off at least 5 Super animations in a fight no problem? That is just not a fun feeling to have. Otherwise, combat is great when you are used to the controls.

Also, due to that enemy super armor, I hate how they can rush you and Burst/Vanish counters do damage, but doesnt cancel their attacks. Dont get me started on how they can render your Surge useless, and theirs be unstoppable.

Guido just kicked my ass

I won this 1st try, but this fight handed me my only B rating. I was max distance but could still get paralyzed (somehow I dodged one without a solar flare), then he does the spike pattern move. First 2 healthel bars I could melee, then he spammed so much that I won literally using only KI blasts. Just ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
I urge you all plZ do the side quests. The stories in a lot of them are pretty damn hilarious and exactly what you would want from a anime game

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or does anyone else have the saving icon always there on the screen?

Its not just you, I had that a couple times already, every time i manually saved it's gone away, just to reappear when it next autosaved. A restart of the Game fixed it tho, didnt have it since then.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Like the games OK, but still not that good. Still has many of the same problems that Xenoverse has for me with being overly game-y in design and structure. Why can't we just get a good Action Adventure Dragon Ball game that isn't constantly interrupting you and filled with terrible menus and artificial systems and pacing that undermine the setting and experience? Not to mention reliving the same stories.

Every 10 minutes the game is switching between characters, skipping over events with stilted cutscenes and interactions. Combat is solid but the rest of the game is just so artificial and clunky. While flying around the open world is kind of fun it's mostly so pointless and lifeless. Coll you can fly around but all there is to do is collect 50000 orbs and random items with virtually nothing else as we relive the events of the Manga/Anime but presented way way worse with lots of stuff missing or just skipped over for speed.

Just make a Breath of the Wild knock off but with kid Goku or Gohan going on a relatively low stakes adventure to collect the Dragon Balls, not reliving the original Manga/Show for the thousandth time. Just low powered characters, no annoying gimmicks and interruptions. Just a big Dragon Ball world that we can explore with weird enemies to beat up, dinosaurs tails to cut off and fun little side quests with funny NPCs.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 19 hours and 15 minutes in. Frieza just got to his final form. Goku hasn't arrived. I'm still having a blast!

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm trying to finish up a watch through of Dragon Ball Kai before I play this game. I forgot most of the story beats from the Cell Saga and Buu Saga.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
e044f573db2bd78192e9d3c4009a354e.png