• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
How absolutely bizarre. It's not like the game isn't feminist and progressive as fuck just because it has a white male protagonist. Having a flawed, well-developed male protagonist doesn't change that or the fact that the game is loaded with phenomenal female characters who put the majority of characters in the majority of games to shame. Tons of the key plot characters are women, now I think of it. They're incredibly well written.

I too have seen/played/read tons of male detective characters, that doesn't change that this game has some bleeding edge narrative design, worldbuilding and character development. IIRC several of the game's writers were women.

It's also £35, not £50 or anything. It's an indie game.

It is simply a personal preference, that's all. I have a soft spot for games with female protagonists. And tend to look down games with males protagonists.

In my defense, this doesn't get in the way of how much I like the game, but it does make me more or less likely to throw money at it. Or how soon I do it.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I can`t decide between....

Wattson (Apex Legends)

3556796-thumb.jpg

Ahti (Control)
controlahti.jpg

Trench (Control)
latest

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite character of the year is Regis from Blood and Wine, I know I am pretty late to the party.

For the actual year 2019, maybe Mr. X? that dude is really scary.

Sekiro's Isshin, maybe?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Crystal Exarch from FFXIV

Emet-Selch is a very close second, but there's something deeply sad and earnest about our robed mineral boy.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Kim Kitsuragi from Disco Elysium and it's not even close. And if it was it'd probably be Joyce from the same game.

Control's cast is great though.

Mar 29, 2018
It is simply a personal preference, that's all. I have a soft spot for games with female protagonists. And tend to look down games with males protagonists.

In my defense, this doesn't get in the way of how much I like the game, but it does make me more or less likely to throw money at it. Or how soon I do it.
iu

Which... must be like 80+% of games, in this twisted patriarchy? You look down on 80+% of all games? Like, if we're talking generic '00s bald male gruff guy then yeah... fuck that. But this (and many characters) aren't that. So you look down on ANY and ALL games with a male protagonists?

iu

I'm as borderline misandrist as the next self-proclaimed feminist, but this is far out.

Anyways, you do you.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Parvati from Outer Worlds
Kim Kitsuragi from Disco Elysium
Zachariah Trench from Control
Casper Darling from Control

If I had to pick one, I'd probably say Darling as well. Really an amazing performance from Matthew Porretta.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Control actually has a really great cast, very memorable and 'real' characters.

Also let me give a shoutout to the Days Gone characters. Pretty much every single one has way more depth than it initially appears.

For my favorite character of the year...haven't finished the game yet but I'll go with The Cop from Disco Elysium. (Or can I pick the Inland Empire skill, specifically?)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
iu

Which... must be like 80+% of games, in this twisted patriarchy? You look down on 80+% of all games? Like, if we're talking generic '00s bald male gruff guy then yeah... fuck that. But this (and many characters) aren't that. So you look down on ANY and ALL games with a male protagonists?

iu

I'm as borderline misandrist as the next self-proclaimed feminist, but this is far out.

Anyways, you do you.

I believe "look down" might be a bit strong. I just look with less enthusiasm. And you're looking at it the wrong way. It has nothing to do with feminism, simply a personal preference. Just as someone might prefer a FPS over a TPS. Although the huge imbalance between male and female protagonists certainly don't do it any favors.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Only now do I realise how much I liked so many of the characters in Control.

Emily (hnnng), Darling, Ahti, Dylan (need more of him though), Langston, Arish, Jesse... big fan of all of them.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
We'll have to agree to disagree since moments such as tackling Renegade camps and the like have Deacon sitting pretty closely to Aiden (Talking to himself about how he's going to murder certain people definitely doesn't help). I will say he at least does a better job of keeping his two personalities separate from those he cares about though. Aiden was definitely more chaotic all-around.
Deacon lives in a post apocalyptic world, though. He has lost everything. And he grows a lot as a person in the game.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Darling is amazing but I struggle to think of a character in any game that even remotely compares to how well excellently realized Kim Kitsuragi is.

He might be my favorite video game character at this point. Disco Elysium is unreal.

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
Casper Darling was a great character I agree and I liked many of the characters in Control, even if they felt a bit familiar to me in general.

I'm probably forgetting a game/character, but the first that came to mind as a favourite this year is Dedue from Fire Emblem Three Houses.

cG88q57.png

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
it's so nice to see so much love for darling on here, thanks OP and everyone else <3

I wish I could contribute but I haven't played either disco elysium or the outer worlds (just started on that one), and I have a feeling my favourite characters will be hiding somewhere in there, hah

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Claude von Riegen from FE Three Houses
Sara Chidouin from Your Turn to Die
Untitled Goose form Untitled Goose Game

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly I've only played a couple games that came out this year so I don't have much to choose from.
But Deacon St John was really well written and performed. And the mocap on him is really good.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dr. Darling is up there. I also really like Arish; I'm glad nothing happened to him.

Parvati from the Outer Worlds is up there. What an amazing character. I kept her as a companion for almost the entire game; her commentary is great. Felix was good too.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
5. Du Mei Shin from Devotion (the daughter)
4. Cuno the 12 year old speed addict from Disco Elysium
3. Amica De Rune from A Plague Tale: Innocence
2. Parvati Holcomb from The Outer Worlds
1. Kim Kitsuragi from Disco Elysium

I've only just started Control though.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cliff from Death Stranding is right up there for me.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cliff from Death Stranding is my most memorable.

Great character and performance.

Last edited:

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1.Archbishop Rhea is easily number 1.
2.Domonique - from Bloodstained
3. Catherine - FE
4. Dorothea - FE
5. Edelgard - FE

Pretty much all of the female cast of FE3H

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I couldn't justify it. So many characters this year in so many good character driven games I just haven't been in the proper mood to play. I'm missing out on all the AI Somnium characters and Outer Worlds and Disco Elysium. So from what I've played which includes Death Stranding, I'm almost about to say Fragile or SAM but I'm gonna choose Claire from RE2 Remake. She got sort of an overhaul to her characterization but it's a nice coat of paint.

The way the western writer they hired captured that carefree "Wow, this really is a crazy night, huh!" tone with his script for RE2's violent zombie apocalypse was just goooood vibes.

May 5, 2018
Off the top of my head, these people:
claude-von-regan-fire-emblem-three-houses-1.1.jpg

Claude Von Riegan (FE 3 Houses)
200px-Portrait_marianne_02_fe16.png

Marianne (Fire Emblem 3 Houses also)

Screenshot_2019_09_25_12.28.04.png

This little guy is Pat the Alligator from Later Alligator.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_07_at_4.39.29_PM.png

Caesar from Wargroove

Last edited:

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
The main duo of Disco Elysium definitely takes the cake. I also liked the cast of outerworlds especially Parvati. Also Claude, Dimtri and the cast of fire emblem other than Edlegard

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm so glad he actually got nominated, my favorite character from this year by far.

Dude has been killing since the Alan Wake performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Of the little I have played of new games this year and not counting returning characters
pn9cpqf1auh31.jpg

could easily change when I play some better games but she was one of the better elements of that game.

Oct 25, 2017
It's Parvati Holcomb in The Outer Worlds.

wqy85zq3cyu31.png

What a sweet kid she is. She's just a lovely person.

If you enjoyed Firefly and thought to yourself, "How could they make Kaylee even more likeable?" then Parvati is your answer.