• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
NintendoLife just posted their review for the Switch version:
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/doom

Haven't read it yet myself so no specific quotes from me just now.

EDIT:
DOOM was definitely made with portable mode as the primary focus. Whether docked or not, it runs at 720p, the native resolution of the Switch's display. That means it looks really great in handheld mode, but when docked things start to look a bit muddy and blurry. We didn't find that this caused issues for us with the game, but it was noticeable. What did cause some problems were the frame rate and the audio. DOOM is a beautiful game, but that beauty comes with a price tag. When enemies got a bit too dense on screen or when large numbers of particle effects were going on at once, the frame rate took a major hit, becoming noticeably choppy. If we had to guess, we'd say the frame rate can occasionally drop into the teens.

These drops didn't happen often, but they're there all the same. It seems a few areas are problem spots in the game, but we found it was easiest to reproduce these issues in arcade mode, where more of everything seems to be happening. Audio issues were far more consistent in our experience. During glory kills we would sometimes experience audio not playing at all, and in some levels we noticed problems so severe the game would need to be restarted. Audio would at times be very low and sound effects would instead trigger a popping sound. We're hopeful that these faults will be addressed in a patch.

Tbh I experienced the very same audio issues on PC, so it's not like they are exclusive to the Switch version.

Last edited:

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
NintendoLife just posted their review for the Switch version:
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/doom

Haven't read it yet myself so no specific quotes from me just now.

If we had to guess, we'd say the frame rate can occasionally drop into the teens.

Yikes.

Having DOOM on the go was offsetting the console controls for me, but if performance is that bad, I think I'm going to pass. Hope everyone who's playing it for the first time has a great time with it, though. The game is incredible.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I was interested as I have never played (any) Doom before.

But £9.49 on PS4 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZF3255A/?tag=e100-21

Or £40 on Switch - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075ND55T3/?tag=e100-21

Not a hard choice
If you haven't played it before and have other platforms available to you play DOOM on them

I think this port is really just for people who only buy Nintendo consoles and people who have already played DOOM and want a portable version

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes.

Having DOOM on the go was offsetting the console controls for me, but if performance is that bad, I think I'm going to pass. Hope everyone who's playing it for the first time has a great time with it, though. The game is incredible.

Performance isn't bad by any means. Some drops happen but they're fairly rare overall.

BetterWorldz

Oct 27, 2017
I love that this comes out at a time in Nintendo's success when not even the biggest haters can say Nintendoomed with a straight face ^^

Performance seems fine but gyro controls would have really sealed the deal for me, shame they couldn't get it in.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
C52B53dWMAA37yL.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes.

From what I hear, that's usually when there are so many monsters on the screen all at once.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017

Not a hard choice
Yep, one is portable, the other not. It was never a hard choice to begin with, if you don't care about portability and you own either PC or XOne, PS4 why would you buy a late port? If you do care why would you pick a cheaper option that doesn't deliver portability?
In before Laptops are portable

Last edited:

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
I already have DOOM on PC and playing it with Vulkan make my R9 Nano purchase feel like a worthwhile investment (i.e. great performance for non-nVidia GPUs).

Seeing how Switch is powered by Tegra, I wonder what wizardry (or deals with demons) Sucker Punch did to pull this off. I wish they'll have a talk at GDC about how they managed to port such a powerful engine while keeping most of its feature sets intact. Also transfered my order from Amazon to Best Buy just in time to enjoy this on the 10th.

(Still wish OT said "Rip & Tear, Anytime, Anywhere")
Sucker Punch are wizards. They magically left Sony for 1 day to port Doom to the Switch and went back to Sony the day after.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
For those asking about the Gamespot review, here it is.

Doom has endured a few compromises during its transition to a more modest platform, and depending on your tolerance for blurry visuals and fiddly controls, these cut corners may be a deal breaker no matter how fascinating the experience is at first blush.

One of the unfortunate realities of playing such a demanding game with Switch Joycons is that you're bound by the limitations of small analog sticks. Doom offers sensitivity and camera smoothing adjustments that do help to a degree, but compared to playing on the full-sized Pro Controller, Joycons feel notably less reliable.

Switch's screen can also prove problematic when facing a room of sprinting demons. It may just be too small to provide the encompassing experience the game's toughest challenges demand. It's also strange to see the UI as it is, with a font size so small that you'll be hard-pressed to quickly read menus when playing undocked.

In practice, even if Doom is outputting a 720p signal, It frequently shifts into lower gear, presenting not only low-res textures and models, but an overall muddied image that indicates dynamic resolution switching and stretching.

If you can stand to look at a lesser version of Doom's once captivating world, you'll find that the game plays well enough on Switch so long as you've got a TV in front of you and a Pro Controller in hand.

I don't see anything about the frame rate, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Might get after initial price drop since I already have on ps4. I wish the mCable was more affordable because im sure it would alleviate most of these issues.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Mighty impressive that they managed to port this game to the Switch. I'd urge people who still haven't played to buy this game, regardless of the plataform. I played it around last holidays and it was one of the best shooter experiences I've had since the original Bioshock. In fact, i find it better.

I also saw Certain Affinity's logo on the back cover, did they do the multiplayer?

Edit: And Escalation Studios. Sounds like they both were on the multiplayer and SnapMap of main game in the first place, but... wasn't SnapMap removed on Switch? HMM...
Since they worked on the general SKU it seems logical that they are still credited either way.

I love that this exists. I don't ever want to play Doom at 30fps though.
So the point of your post is....? ''I like its novelty but not for me?''

Yeah, that is a very indepth response you made there.

I already have DOOM on PC and playing it with Vulkan make my R9 Nano purchase feel like a worthwhile investment (i.e. great performance for non-nVidia GPUs).

Seeing how Switch is powered by Tegra, I wonder what wizardry (or deals with demons) Sucker Punch did to pull this off. I wish they'll have a talk at GDC about how they managed to port such a powerful engine while keeping most of its feature sets intact. Also transfered my order from Amazon to Best Buy just in time to enjoy this on the 10th.

(Still wish OT said "Rip & Tear, Anytime, Anywhere")
I wager Sucker Punch used a Panic Button to develop the game. (PB being the devs of this, not Sucker Punch)

Depends how extensive the slowdown is for me. "lots of enemies on screen" is like half the encounters in the game.
And judging from all the preview footage, the game ran fine with 5+ enemies onscreen, so yeah.
Doom also has the best motion blur tech in the industry at the moment so that slowdown really gets nicely hidden, too.

I haven't played DOOM since the one on the snes. Should I get this for my Switch?
Regardless of how it pans out: YES. Because its Rip and Tear, in Mario's Lair.

Embargo down, so :
- the framerate is fine, it tanked once and quickly recovered
- it's very blurry in portable mode and never really kicks 720p except in some precise instances. It's still good looking. Docked is much crisper.
- multiplayer works but it's not very fun
- it's probably the most impressive looking game on the console

Main con : the Joy-Con's sticks are too small and it was really weird at first. It's decent in portable mode but I recommend using the pro controller.
Docked is much crisper? From the impressions here its usually said that its just more blurry. And ''very blurry in portable mode''? You sure you arent mixing things up?

Not a hard choice
Its not a hard choice if you are going to ignore the obvious advantages of the Switch. But with that line of reasoning you could easily pass on any Switch multiplatform release ever.

Yikes.

What is it with these pre-mature doubts? You literally are deciding between a go or a pass based on a single review when most of the preview footage and user impressions say otherwise?

If you have that many doubts, then just wait till Digital Foundry lays their hands on it. I have no doubt that John is going Rip and Tear that version apart given his adoration for the series.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not mixing up anything, the IQ is better in docked since it's (at least closer to) 720p and is constantly sub-native resolution in handled. Or something else is acting up, but that's how I perceived it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So excited to play this tomorrow. I bought it late last year when it was half of because of that music segment during the Game Awards (and cause I actually knew the drummer haha) and immediately loved the game to bits. I'm not a shooter fan by any means but this is one of the games of the past 5 years easily. The game almost reminded me of Metroid Prime in the way that your movement, strafing, jumping, etc. is extremely important both in exploration and during combat, so this should absolutely please Nintendo fans.

Handheld mode does indeed look a bit blurry but when in motion it looks perfectly fine, and I doubt I'll really notice much of a difference from the PC version I played.

I'm not mixing up anything, the IQ is better in docked since it's (at least closer to) 720p and is constantly sub-native resolution in handled. Or something else is acting up, but that's how I perceived it.

I'd guess it depends on your TV, but I imagine even the sub-native res picture looks pretty nice on the Switch's smaller screen.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Amazon isn't doing same day release for this? Says mine will ship tomorrow and arrive Tuesday..

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I'm picking this up tomorrow. Wish it had gyro aiming, but I guess that could potentially be patched in later if the game sells well and Bethesda hears enough people clamoring for it.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I really can't justify getting Doom on Switch. I beat it on PS4 Pro, it's available for $12 on PC. I own a 1070 laptop.
It's a great game for those who have no other means off playing it. But a tough sell for anyone else.

:Motorbass

Oct 28, 2017
Will buy today if I can find it. Does it have local multiplayer or online only?

I think I payed 10€ for the PC version but never bothered to install.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed this game. Thought it was a little long though. Finding the secrets is fun.

telboy

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the Switch version has multiplayer bots? I used to love playing Botzone in KZ Mercenaries on the Vita.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this has an active online community, even a small one. If all you got is a switch then it would be nice to have at least one FPS shooter.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Docked :
DOMZI4CUEAA4XKy.jpg

Undocked :
DODpgK3VQAA0U0M.jpg

(through Twitter so additional compressions and all but you can see the difference in resolution just by looking at the weapon)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I'd share this from the review thread:

WWG's review will be a bit belated. I ran into serious slowdown and audio glitch issues early on while playing docked, and when I reached out to Bethesda we narrowed down the issue.

I had been downloading games in the background on my Switch while playing, and apparently that was taking up some resources that caused the issues. Much like the PS4 version, once things starting heating up DOOM is a game that had my Switch fan running pretty hard. I assume Panic Button designed the game to take advantage of every last drop of power available.

At any rate, now that I no longer have games downloading in the background, I need to run back through some of the more intense firefights both docked and on the go before and see if I can replicate any of my past issues before giving this port a proper score.

I'm glad to see all of the positive reviews, tbh. For now, maybe just make sure you don't have a game downloading from the eshop while you play.

So it looks like downloading games in the background while playing this will cause serious slowdowns and audio issues, so beware.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Panic Button should be getting some serious calls after this. Very impressive footage, I am so tempted to double-dip on this. I hope it sells well and becomes an important marker in the future of Switch 3rd party support.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Shit, I forgot about this. Already finished a few times already but I'll pick it up later on.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got this on PC but never installed it because it was like 80GB that I didn't have free. I'm interested in the Switch version, but more interested as a predictor of things to come with Wolfenstein 2.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Got $60 in Best Buy gift cards so I'll def be picking this up day 1.

I already played it on PC though, so I'm only getting this version for portable mode...the comments about it being sub native res are really disappointing. But it's still Doom on the go..