• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Have the 20th mostly clear to play Eternal. I do kinda wish we got Doom 64 early, but playing through 2016 when I have a bit of downtime is still fun.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Awesome. The first one can produce some great images

4Zp7MGx.png

if there's any part of DOOM 2016 you could call under-rated, it's the art direction

Oct 28, 2017
After replaying Doom 2016 I hope you won't have to do those stupid challenges to get crucial upgrade points in this one.
It was literally a chore in the beginning of every mission to reset fights to get them over with so I could enjoy the rest of the level freely.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is this and 2016's Doom a continuation of the previous games?

If I answer that it would be a spoiler. The artbook of Doom Eternal has been leaked and let's just say the story will answer your question.

if there's any part of DOOM 2016 you could call under-rated, it's the art direction

Personally I feel like Doom 3 has the most underrated art direction, atmosphere & world building. When it's bright enough to see anything that is.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
After replaying Doom 2016 I hope you won't have to do those stupid challenges to get crucial upgrade points in this one.
It was literally a chore in the beginning of every mission to reset fights to get them over with so I could enjoy the rest of the level freely.

Oh yes. I was replaying it recently on nightmare and so much of my playtime was me looking for a good spot to farm required actions like certain glory kills, then dying on purpose to reset the encounter but not the number of recorded actions.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hope there are less of those. There are a few challenges I just ignored because I didn't want to play that way. I want to freely shoot demons, not soften up ten of them, then walk up and glory kill them from a certain direction.

I'm fine with those arena mini levels, but the achievements that make me farm x number of monsters in a certain way felt restrictive.

Is this and 2016's Doom a continuation of the previous games?
I think so. Doom 2016 is a sort of loose continuation of the originals, and Eternal seems to be a direct sequel to 2016.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes. I was replaying it recently on nightmare and so much of my playtime was me looking for a good spot to farm required actions like certain glory kills, then dying on purpose to reset the encounter but not the number of recorded actions.

That along with the points of no return in some maps are two things I hope they got rid of for good.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I trying to save as much as possible so I can buy this thing. I can't wait for it

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is insane. When I first heard he was working on a heavy metal choir, I expected something cool but this is, simply put, amazing. Mongolian chants, male and female growls alike, some pretty well-known artists involved too, all on top of course of a crazy good music. This game's soundtrack has the chance to be even better than the last game's, wow.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I hope there are less of those. There are a few challenges I just ignored because I didn't want to play that way. I want to freely shoot demons, not soften up ten of them, then walk up and glory kill them from a certain direction.

I'm fine with those arena mini levels, but the achievements that make me farm x number of monsters in a certain way felt restrictive.

I think so. Doom 2016 is a sort of loose continuation of the originals, and Eternal seems to be a direct sequel to 2016.

What's the pre-Doom 2016 timeline in terms of the games? I dropped off after Doom 2.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
What's the pre-Doom 2016 timeline in terms of the games? I dropped off after Doom 2.
I'm not really sure because I didn't follow the story too closely either. All I know is that the doom 2016 guy is implied (through the lore voiceover things in Doom 2016) to be the same doomguy you played in doom 1 and 2.

Not sure if doom 3 fits into it at all.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe it is pretty linear with the exception of 3, Doom 1-2-64. I haven't read any Eternal spoilers yet, so I'm not sure if it tries to tie things together.

At the end of 64 doomguy decides to fuck off back to hell and wage war against demons for centuries, since time goes by way faster in hell than earth. I think that's where all the fear and legend of doomguy came from in 2016.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I just got my first G- Sync monitor yesterday in preparation for Doom - give me all the frames

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure because I didn't follow the story too closely either. All I know is that the doom 2016 guy is implied (through the lore voiceover things in Doom 2016) to be the same doomguy you played in doom 1 and 2.

Not sure if doom 3 fits into it at all.
Doom 3 is its own thing in its own continuity, separate from either the classic games or the modern version.

HOLY SHIT SON

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I want to double dip and grab Doom 2016 on PC (Originally grabbed it on PS4).
Is $20 the cheapest right now, specifically for steam?

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Nzyme32 posted the PC Requirements in the PC Thread:

P3iEOaK.png

"Only" 50 gigs this time. The minimum requirements are high, my poor 970 lol

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Nzyme32 posted the PC Requirements in the PC Thread:

P3iEOaK.png

"Only" 50 gigs this time. The minimum requirements are high, my poor 970 lol
6700k, 16gb, 1080. lol

that's basically my old PC. my new PC will destroy this :) should have no problem at 1440p 144hz on high+ settings.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I never pre order games, it's such a dumb practice.

I pre ordered this ;)
same. didn't need to really but this month has AC, Doom, Persona for me so would rather pay the money while i had it than worry about paying at launch. cost me £180 for the 3 games. sold my Rift and put the money towards these games since i'm not impressed by in HL Alyx.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Whew less than 2 weeks!

Glad to see the helmet in the CE actually looks quality for the final product.

Also how the hell does GAME in the U.K have the CE or helmets already. lol

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
So first world problem here...

I have the collector's arriving on Friday of the release date, but I want to get started on midnight.
Any cheap PC keys out there to start playing as soon as it strikes midnight as opposed to waiting for CE?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, trying to figure out which version to pre-order, does anyone think the DLC will be good enough to justify the extra 30$ or should I just pre-order standard doom?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Hey guys, trying to figure out which version to pre-order, does anyone think the DLC will be good enough to justify the extra 30$ or should I just pre-order standard doom?

We really don't have a way to estimate that. We don't have exprience from iD SP DLCs / expansions in long time.

If hesitant just go regular and get season pass later is DLC is dope.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 64 will release with a new chapter that happens just after the main campaign, and according to James Haley:
If you can make your way back and take revenge, you'll be rewarded with a bit of lore that fans of both series, new and classic, should enjoy

Maybe they're connecting 64 and 2016? The way 64 ends has been the main point of the Unified Doomguy Theory, so expanding on that and using it would be cool.

www.usgamer.net

Exclusive: Doom 64 Devs Reveal the Port Will Include a Brand New Chapter

When Bethesda's Pete Hines popped up on a Nintendo Direct last year to announce a re-release of Midway's Doom 64, an often overlooked entry in the Doom franc...

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Isn't the season pass going to just be multiplayer maps? That's essentially what it was in doom 2016. Please tell me otherwise because I do not know.

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 64 will release with a new chapter that happens just after the main campaign, and according to James Haley:

Maybe they're connecting 64 and 2016? The way 64 ends has been the main point of the Unified Doomguy Theory, so expanding on that and using it would be cool.

www.usgamer.net

Exclusive: Doom 64 Devs Reveal the Port Will Include a Brand New Chapter

When Bethesda's Pete Hines popped up on a Nintendo Direct last year to announce a re-release of Midway's Doom 64, an often overlooked entry in the Doom franc...

Hadn't even considered that, good idea. That would be totally sweet. I'm in full support of unified doomslayerguy.