• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty thorough video (sponsored by Nvidia, who has an interest in selling powerful gaming equipment) showing how in game FPS as well as monitor refresh affects performance for both pro players and normal folks.

I wouldn't call it "scientific", but they go into a lot of detail about the testing and have discussions with the participants about how it feels to switch back and forth between the three setups.

lsHxy4y.png

pIFRfxp.png

Not all of the results are that dramatic but it's pretty interesting that normal people like Linus and Paul (of Paul's Hardware on YT) benefit just as much if not more from higher FPS than the pros.

They also mention that even on a 60hz screen, a high in-game FPS can help a lot since each frame you see is more "up to date" than if the game was running closer to 60fps.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
From the visual it seems that people stop having worthwhile ROI after 144PS/Hz. Interesting to see!

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Results are what I expected. The simple fact is more frames = more information for your brain to process, and for your eyes to track. With more frames you're settings yourself up for success moreso than with less.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was just posted yesterday, but yeah this is an amazing video for PC gamers

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to come off snarky here, but pretty much everyone who's played games at 144hz knows it makes a difference. Feeling it for the first time is pretty shocking.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
It matters in every game. How much it matters is subjective though.

I should clarify. I think in non competitive games a stable frame rate is just better, locked 30/60 is just better. But for competitive, even if you only have a 60hz monitor, you should always unlock your frame rate.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It doesn't matter at all in turn based stuff, theres no meaningful difference between 30 and 60 in those, never mind anything higher.

Of course there is, just feeling of the mouse, moving units, whatever. All of this contributes to game feel and a higher refresh rate is always better.

Hell just Windows feels noticeably better on a 144hz screen than it does on 60hz.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
The human eye can only see...

Looking for a 1440/144 monitor. Thinking of finally taking the plunge this year.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I can play at 60, especially on console, but I've tried 144+ fps and just the feel of it is undeniably better.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Framerate matters so much i'd much rather play on my 1440p 144fps Gsync monitor rather than my 4k LG Oled to be honest.

While stuff like Control and Jedi Fallen Order do look absolutely out of this world on the tv and all the bells and whistles, i vastly prefer the higher refresh rate (also helped by the lower resolution of course) and Gsync wich is SO underrated by anyone who doesn't play on PCs is incredible.

Tried to play... i think it was Bloodstained but i might be remembering wrong, anyways it doesn't matter wich game, but the tearing was jawdropping, there's no way anyone with functioning eyes prefers MUH GRAFIX to no tearing. It's the worst thing in gaming by a large margin.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should clarify. I think in non competitive games a stable frame rate is just better, locked 30/60 is just better. But for competitive, even if you only have a 60hz monitor, you should always unlock your frame rate.

A locked frame rate is only better if it's struggling to hit 60. Anything "unstable" above 60 - especially in the 90s or higher - definitely does not require a lock and absolutely feels better than locking something at 30 or 60 would, regardless of game or genre.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't give a crap if it makes me better, I just love how it gets modern screens closer to the motion clarity of old CRTs. Playing older games at 144hz is so nice.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, 1440p 27' with just a little anti-aliasing is more than good enough - we don't *need* 4K yet. I'd much, much rather have the smoother framerate.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I've finally gotten around to experiencing framerates higher than 60 outside of VR and....man. Just as beautiful as I thought it would be. Makes my 60fps games at home feel kind of "Eh, it's nice, but...".

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to experience 144 FPS

I also dislike how high FPS gets downplayed as purely a gameplay matter when they look way better (all else being equal).

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just talking with a coworker how 1440p @144hz is the sweet spot. I mean 4K is cool, but right now, current hardware allows for most games to thrive at that resolution while maintaining graphical fidelity and giving that sweet smooth performance.

For me 144hz movement is also aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. Looks so good.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
In competitive games, yes.
Total Biscuit said otherwise.

Frankly the benefits of high framerates have been known for years by enthusiasts.

After 3D TVs went away as a fan various PC enthusiasts discovered that tech could be repurposed to give motion performance LCDs without strobed backlights can't achieve.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
It's really telling that all pro gamers receive a minor performance increase on 240 over 144 versus the major increase in everyone's performance from 60fps to 144fps.
and 240hz is an performance booster for non progamers? :P

i wonder can these kind of test determine if youre fit for pro gaming or is a casual gamer?
ie, if 240hz make no difference, then youre fit for being pro gamer but if you feel 250hz have a boost on your performance then nope youre a casual

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not at all. Not if you have a VRR display. With VRR (or G Sync/Freesync) an unlocked 120hz is the ultimate experience for single and multi player games.

Instant response, no tearing, no judder, just pure gaming bliss. It's a game changer.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Duh.. 60 -> 144 is night and day difference. Hopefully console owners will experience 120fps in next gen.

May 17, 2018
I just recently got a Freesync 144hz monitor and...I wish I could tell the difference between it and 60, when it comes to games.

It's weird cause, I can certainly see it when scrolling up and down a webpage, but, for some reason, I just can't see much difference in a game. Gonna watch this video to see if they can explain what I'm not catching.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Yes it matters at every level and every game. The smoother you can make the game the better. Locked 30 is also a scam, give me the unlocked framerate over bum ass 30.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I just recently got a Freesync 144hz monitor and...I wish I could tell the difference between it and 60, when it comes to games.

It's weird cause, I can certainly see it when scrolling up and down a webpage, but, for some reason, I just can't see much difference in a game. Gonna watch this video to see if they can explain what I'm not catching.
did you change your windows refresh rate?

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
It matters, but I use a 43 inch TV as my monitor since it's great for work and TVs don't really have refresh rates over 60(well, not without having to pay part of my soul).

So for now I'm stuck in low FPS land.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Once it gets up to 120+ I find I can't tell the difference, and this seems to be backed up by their testing.

But the difference between 60 and 120 is massive.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
How does VRR feel at 30-45 fps? I personally can adapt to nearly anything on console but on PC? I can't deal.