• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like fishing minigames?

• Yes

Votes: 262 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 277 39.3%
  • They're OK

Votes: 165 23.4%

• Total voters

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Seems like a lot of games have fishing minigames. The mechanics can range from really easy to annoying. Regardless I always feel like fishing minigames are a waste of time/are boring relative to everything else, and I never really want to engage beyond the initial introduction. I don't believe these minigames really give you great rewards anyway. Makes me wonder who enjoys them.

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
Its really hit or miss for me honestly. Animal Crossing NH fishing is legit nightmare inducing for me now. I was over it in less than an hour of doing it back to back.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i never liked it in any game ever. but seems more than 1/3rd of people who play X game like to chillax with the fishing minigame so *shrug why not i guess

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How fucking dare you. As someone who would see it was a day for optimal fishing in Fire Emblem and be super happy, I challenge you to a fucking duel at dawn.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I love them in games like Stardew Valley or survival types. I also loved them back in the day in Everquest and SWG. But I don't like them in jrpgs typically.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
People who like them should be put on a watchlist.

big-the-cat-fishing-1.png

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I find them super boring and usually kinda frustrating. I don't know why JRPGs are so obsessed with them.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Depends on the game really, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Yakuza 0, and Red Dead Redemption 2 were all pretty great.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I could go either way. I'll do it if a quest calls for it or it has good rewards or trophies attached to it that are relatively easy. Otherwise I won't do it.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Fishing mini games are the backbone of society and y'all are haters

catch me starting up my YouTube channel where I rate games purely based on their fishing mini games

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Totally depends on the game. I remember liking it back in Breath of Fire 4, enjoying it well enough in Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing, never fucking with it in Persona 5 or RDR2.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Legend of the River King for Game Boy, but otherwise no, I don't care about fishing minigames. Fisher is my least favorite job/activity in Final Fantasy XIV and I try to avoid doing it whenever I can.

OP
OP
Soriku

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I have some nostalgia for the fishing minigame in Zelda: Twilight Princess on Wii but that's about it.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game. I like it in Animal Crossing because of the wide variety of fish you can catch, and the mechanics for it are super simple. I thought it was kinda boring and annoying in RDR2. Especially when you tried to catch a massive fish and you're sitting there for 5 minutes trying to reel it in. Not fun.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Fishing in Breath of Fire III/IV is great. It's kind of whatever in any other game i played, but it's also inoffensive.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
depends on the game

I remember giving up on twilight princess as a kid because I couldn't get past the fishing at the beginning

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda fishing games could practically be their own full games. They're super chill and relaxing.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay as a change of pace every once in a while but mostly just kinda tedious in a lot of games. I appreciate games that have that keep it relatively simple.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
EnviousDishonestJaeger-size_restricted.gif

Fishing in Twilight Princess almost was an entired game in itself. They did the wrong spin-off with Crossbow Training; they should've focused on this mini game instead.

Edit: Something I hope BotW 2 rectifies.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
In general I'm cold on them, but Battle Chasers: Nightwar made me fish compulsively, because the flavor text for some of the fish you catch was very amusing.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Fishing is the worst activity in and out of games. 100% avoid if possible.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fishing in games is great, but for some reason ive never bought an actual fishing game

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Spiritfarer, and it's the filler you do when everything else on your boat is all good. It's been decent enough.

Most games though, I really wish they didn't bother. I do enough to progress the game and never touch it again.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'm surprised opinions are so strong on this, honestly. Fishing mini-games are just sort of there, nine times out of ten. They're neither good enough to adore nor horrible enough to outright dislike.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
I don't like it, not in gaming, not in real life. But I believe there could be a way to make them fun, it just never was until now.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It depends entirely on how well made the fishing minigame is. FFXV has incredible fishing. FFXII has abysmal fishing.